The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,789 comments
Source? I want to see the rest of the list :lol:

List is here. NSFW Language warning.

So I had an epiphany while, er, "enjoying" some Kancolle hentai.

If these girls are anthropomorphized ships, then that must mean that they've had seamen in them every day since the day they were born.

Perhaps, but using that same logic, the source of your "enjoyment" almost certainly counts as necrophilia.

12278853_994502747239470_4438046785712601765_n.jpg

ore-monogatari-thumbs-up.jpg

I just recently got into anime, been going off of Netflix's picks so far.

Psycho-Pass is amazing. The only Seinen anime I've seen, but I loved it's dark themes. Highly reccomend it to anyone who likes crime thrillers and the like.

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit: bar none, the prettiest anime I've seen. Adapted off of the first novel in a children's book series. Unfortunately, short of learning Japanese, I'll never be able to finish the novels, as only the first two were translated. Until I either spend hundreds of hours learning to read Japanese well enough to read a novel, or find someone willing to take time out of their life to translate the novels for a random stranger, I consider this (Spoilers in that) to be the ending, just because it put my two favorite characters in the positions they would've enjoyed most, while staying true to the characters.

Death Note is next up, whenever I feel like starting it. Anyone here watched it, and could tell me if it's worth it?

Psycho-Pass is amazing. The only Seinen anime I've seen, but I loved it's dark themes. Highly reccomend it to anyone who likes crime thrillers and the like.

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit: bar none, the prettiest anime I've seen. Adapted off of the first novel in a children's book series. Unfortunately, short of learning Japanese, I'll never be able to finish the novels, as only the first two were translated. Until I either spend hundreds of hours learning to read Japanese well enough to read a novel, or find someone willing to take time out of their life to translate the novels for a random stranger, I consider this (Spoilers in that) to be the ending, just because it put my two favorite characters in the positions they would've enjoyed most, while staying true to the characters.

Death Note is next up, whenever I feel like starting it. Anyone here watched it, and could tell me if it's worth it?
Death note is worth it imo but it sort of falls off halfway through and the last episode is a shocker.

Death Note is great fun, until episode 25 or so, at least. It kinda fizzles out after that as the story gets dragged on for too long.

To be honest though, most anime ain't so great, and once one gets past the initial "wow Japanese cartoons are so weird and different" effect (as far as I can tell the sole reason for Attack on Titan's popularity), one will pretty quickly find that there isn't that much which is really worth watching.

As for recommendations:

• Most Studio Ghibli stuff (especially Castle in the Sky, My Neighbour Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Porco Rosso, Whisper of the Heart, Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away. The Nausicaa movie is pretty good but the manga's much better. Grave of the Fireflies makes a good choice if you want a really sad movie, Pom Poko if you want a really bizarre one. The Cat Returns is funny.) Usually I'd recommend the Japanese dub with subtitles for Ghibli films but Disney usually do passable enough English dubs.
  • Cowboy Bebop. Space Kung-Fu Noir Western with a superb soundtrack. That is all. English dub gets the nod here.
  • Terror in Resonance. If you enjoy Death Note and Cowboy Bebop, watch this. It's about a detective trying to catch some terrorists. Also has a superb soundtrack. English dub isn't out yet so I can't comment, but the setting probably makes the Japanese dub more appropriate.
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica. The first 3 episodes are kinda dull (the first time around, at least), but from then on it's utterly brilliant. Watch in Japanese, the English dub is... Flat... Yet horribly whiny at the same time.
  • Satoshi Kon's stuff. A brilliant director, the late Satoshi Kon directed 4 films (Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, and Paprika) and one TV series (Paranoia Agent) all are worth checking out. I'd recommend the Japanese audio on Perfect Blue (the English dub made errors which unintentionally change the tone and meaning of the film), and I can't really comment on the others, which I'm not even sure have English dubs.
  • FLCL. If someone combined The Catcher In The Rye with the lyrics to Pavement songs and then made it an anime and played it at 2x speed, it might look something like this. A masterpiece, but not an easy one, and one which requires multiple viewings to really comprehend, but a masterpiece. English dub is very good and to be honest just easier to follow.
  • Nichijou. Because after the frantic surrealism of FLCL sometimes some really laidback, heartwarming surrealism can also fit the bill.
  • Akira. Frantic surrealism is good though. Good enough to be a highly regarded classic film.
  • Gurren Lagann. Giant robots. Drills. A man's soul. English dub is kinda flat but it's more entertaining to be able to shout along with it. Also Yoko's voice is annoying in Japanese.
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion. You have come too far. You have watched all of the anime above in this list. You are in too deep. Will anime swallow you whole, or spit you back out? The only way to find out is by watching... Whatever this is. English dub is extraordinarily bad so make sure you watch in Japanese.

Seeing as you're into cars, Initial D may be worth a watch. Looking at face value it's a horrible excuse for an anime, but provides good entertainment, excitement and you may learn a thing or two. Subtitles only as the dub sucks.

More than @Cano even.

:P

Death Note is great fun, until episode 25 or so, at least. It kinda fizzles out after that as the story gets dragged on for too long.

To be honest though, most anime ain't so great, and once one gets past the initial "wow Japanese cartoons are so weird and different" effect (as far as I can tell the sole reason for Attack on Titan's popularity), one will pretty quickly find that there isn't that much which is really worth watching.

As for recommendations:

• Most Studio Ghibli stuff (especially Castle in the Sky, My Neighbour Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Porco Rosso, Whisper of the Heart, Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away. The Nausicaa movie is pretty good but the manga's much better. Grave of the Fireflies makes a good choice if you want a really sad movie, Pom Poko if you want a really bizarre one. The Cat Returns is funny.) Usually I'd recommend the Japanese dub with subtitles for Ghibli films but Disney usually do passable enough English dubs.
  • Cowboy Bebop. Space Kung-Fu Noir Western with a superb soundtrack. That is all. English dub gets the nod here.
  • Terror in Resonance. If you enjoy Death Note and Cowboy Bebop, watch this. It's about a detective trying to catch some terrorists. Also has a superb soundtrack. English dub isn't out yet so I can't comment, but the setting probably makes the Japanese dub more appropriate.
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica. The first 3 episodes are kinda dull (the first time around, at least), but from then on it's utterly brilliant. Watch in Japanese, the English dub is... Flat... Yet horribly whiny at the same time.
  • Satoshi Kon's stuff. A brilliant director, the late Satoshi Kon directed 4 films (Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, and Paprika) and one TV series (Paranoia Agent) all are worth checking out. I'd recommend the Japanese audio on Perfect Blue (the English dub made errors which unintentionally change the tone and meaning of the film), and I can't really comment on the others, which I'm not even sure have English dubs.
  • FLCL. If someone combined The Catcher In The Rye with the lyrics to Pavement songs and then made it an anime and played it at 2x speed, it might look something like this. A masterpiece, but not an easy one, and one which requires multiple viewings to really comprehend, but a masterpiece. English dub is very good and to be honest just easier to follow.
  • Nichijou. Because after the frantic surrealism of FLCL sometimes some really laidback, heartwarming surrealism can also fit the bill.
  • Akira. Frantic surrealism is good though. Good enough to be a highly regarded classic film.
  • Gurren Lagann. Giant robots. Drills. A man's soul. English dub is kinda flat but it's more entertaining to be able to shout along with it. Also Yoko's voice is annoying in Japanese.
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion. You have come too far. You have watched all of the anime above in this list. You are in too deep. Will anime swallow you whole, or spit you back out? The only way to find out is by watching... Whatever this is. English dub is extraordinarily bad so make sure you watch in Japanese.

Don't listen to this guy.

Wait... no, listen to this guy.

Ok here's the rub, @Dagger311 : Anime is just like any other medium, whether it's movies, music, TV shows, etc. 90% crap, 10% good. So don't let Roger The Horses' "most anime ain't so great" scare you off, because the same is true with pretty much any other medium. The one difference maybe being that anime is produced by only one nation, and in the grand scheme of things is relatively newish, so there's overall much less anime than there is, say, music. This makes the 90% crap 10% good principle really apparent, but make no mistake... there's still plenty of great anime out there if you look for it. Or even more anime out there to enjoy if you have crap taste (though judging by what you've watched so far, you have pretty decent taste).

Anyway, I second all of the Horse's recommendations and add a few of my own:

- Planetes. Imagine Cowboy Bebop but minus the Kung Fu Noir and also the space dialed down to "Realistic". Oh and bounty hunters swapped out for space garbage men. Maybe not the best sales pitch, but Planetes is great for people looking for some great sci fi that's much more grounded.

- Capeta. I assume you like racing, judging by your presence on GTPlanet. And this is easily the best racing anime out there, with stuff like Initial D and Wangan Midnight being amusing but kinda trash.

- Boogiepop Phantom. Very surreal and a bit hard to decipher, but certainly interesting. Bonus points for great soundtrack.

- Serial Experiments Lain. Also surreal and hard to decipher, but again interesting... and probably more cohesive overall compared to Boogiepop.

- Anything by Makoto Shinkai (5 Centimeters per Second and The Garden of Words being the best picks). These might give Moribito a run for your money for prettiest anime you've seen. They're not necessarily animation powerhouses, but the backgrounds and effective use of particle effects such as falling snow or leaves will leave you breathless. Story-wise not the most substance-filled, with most of his work just being simple bittersweet tales of romance, but still they're quite good.

- Kill la Kill, with the caveat that you should wait until enjoying Neon Genesis Evangelion, FLCL, Gurren Lagann... and well, pretty much everything from Gainax pre-2010's. Kill la Kill is a completely over the top action comedy anime that doesn't take itself seriously and has a lot of nods to old Gainax works (Kill la Kill is made by TRIGGER, which has a lot of former Gainax talent). It's really great, and it's the type of anime that can allow even the most jaded anime fans to relive the "wow japanese cartoons are so weird and different" high.

- His and Her Circumstances. Speaking of old Gainax shows, this one's probably their most underrated. Might not be your cup of tea if romance isn't your thing, but make no mistake.... this isn't a girly anime. This is probably the most balanced romance show you're likely to encounter. It doesn't cater specifically to guys or girls, it's going for something a bit more realistic and introspective than a typical romcom girls might enjoy or a harem anime that guys might drool over.

- Anything by Mamoru Hosoda (Summer Wars being my favorite). His films are typically very funny and heartwarming, though typically have some dark dramatic moments, and may have a splash of action and/or romance. Very good stuff, I'm eagerly anticipating the English release of his next film.

And of course, there's more great stuff out there... but no point in overloading you any more. :lol:

I was inclined towards recommending Hosoda's stuff, but didn't want to go OTT with how many things I was recommending.

Serial Experiments Lain gets a nod as a recommendation if the viewer just wants to watch something very atmospheric. Personally I think it works a lot better when taken as a work of audiovisual art rather than a TV series in the traditional sense. Best watched with the lights out at night through headphones, in Japanese of course.

Kill La Kill, it's probably worth being familiar with earlier Gainax stuff first. It's great fun but it definitely deserves, an, ahem, Trigger warning for its over the top sex and violence which might put more than a few people off.

Haven't seen Planetes, His And Her Circumstances, or any of Makato Shinkai's stuff but I've been kinda meaning too. Eventually. Maybe someday.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Not anime but related, if you've enjoyed the likes of Lain, Evangelion, or any other weird anime, check out Don Hertzfeldt's It's Such A Beautiful Day. Like, now. It's amazing and on Netflix and Vimeo apparently. The last third in particular is utterly beautiful and superb.

Woke up to two quotes and a mention, got excited thinking someone had found English Moribito books or something. :P You guys don't realize how bad I want to read those! :lol: I was considering paying a translator or learning to read Japanese myself, just for that series, and any others I may have similar problems with. They're making a live action version airing in Japan in 2016, spanning three years, all ten novels, and 20 or so episodes, but who knows how long it might be until Crunchyroll or something gets it?

As for recommendations:

It doesn't have the weird and different effect on me, I just like the stories. Psycho-Pass was absolutely thrilling from start to finish. Moribito had amazing character arcs in the form of Chagum and Balsa's relationship (Curse the fact that I'll not be able to finish the rest of it), and Balsa and Tanda's love interest. I loved how the former had someone slowly go from trusting the government, to uncovering its dark secrets. The latter had amazing beauty in its artwork, the few fight scenes were masterfully done, and the character growth and emotion was amazing.

Spirited Away! I've been trying to find out what that movie was called forever. I watched it one time, when I was really young, and loved it. I've watched a couple other Studio Ghibli movies, too. Castle in the Sky (Oooh, what a pretty fire.) comes to mind.

I've heard of Cowboy Bebop, and by extension, Samurai Champloo. It sounds a little goofy, to be honest. I like more serious plots.

Terror in Resonance I've never heard of, but sounds interesting. Is there a legal, free site I can use to watch it?

Seen it. Poor
Mami
. My sister forced me to watch it when I was like, 13. It was pretty good. I believe a rewatch is in order though, as it's been a while, and I may enjoy it more, now that my tastes have changed.

Anywhere I can watch any of those?

Never seen FLCL, or Catcher in the Rye, for that matter. :P

I'd like some heartwarming. Always nice, considering Moribito, despite technically having a happy ending, left me sad.

Classic anime, is that a thing? :confused:

You had me at giant robots, says the 9 year old in me. :P

The last bit is intriguing.

As for your comment on the "Most anime isn't so great" thing, isn't everything like that? Everything that's coming out of Hollywood is either explosions, or the same old recycled plots. But every once in a while, they make a brilliant movie, that I'd highly recommend to all. Most pop music is dull, repetitive garbage. Every now and then, they release something I love.

I'd imagine anime is the same way. I've liked everything I've watched so far (Hate to keep talking everyone's ear off about it, but Moribito is my favorite, I'd have to say. I highly suggest people watch it so I have people to talk about it with. :P)

Don't listen to this guy.

Wait... no, listen to this guy.

Ok here's the rub, @Dagger311 : Anime is just like any other medium, whether it's movies, music, TV shows, etc. 90% crap, 10% good. So don't let Roger The Horses' "most anime ain't so great" scare you off, because the same is true with pretty much any other medium. The one difference maybe being that anime is produced by only one nation, and in the grand scheme of things is relatively newish, so there's overall much less anime than there is, say, music. This makes the 90% crap 10% good principle really apparent, but make no mistake... there's still plenty of great anime out there if you look for it. Or even more anime out there to enjoy if you have crap taste (though judging by what you've watched so far, you have pretty decent taste).

Anyway, I second all of the Horse's recommendations and add a few of my own:

- Planetes. Imagine Cowboy Bebop but minus the Kung Fu Noir and also the space dialed down to "Realistic". Oh and bounty hunters swapped out for space garbage men. Maybe not the best sales pitch, but Planetes is great for people looking for some great sci fi that's much more grounded.

- Capeta. I assume you like racing, judging by your presence on GTPlanet. And this is easily the best racing anime out there, with stuff like Initial D and Wangan Midnight being amusing but kinda trash.

- Boogiepop Phantom. Very surreal and a bit hard to decipher, but certainly interesting. Bonus points for great soundtrack.

- Serial Experiments Lain. Also surreal and hard to decipher, but again interesting... and probably more cohesive overall compared to Boogiepop.

- Anything by Makoto Shinkai (5 Centimeters per Second and The Garden of Words being the best picks). These might give Moribito a run for your money for prettiest anime you've seen. They're not necessarily animation powerhouses, but the backgrounds and effective use of particle effects such as falling snow or leaves will leave you breathless. Story-wise not the most substance-filled, with most of his work just being simple bittersweet tales of romance, but still they're quite good.

- Kill la Kill, with the caveat that you should wait until enjoying Neon Genesis Evangelion, FLCL, Gurren Lagann... and well, pretty much everything from Gainax pre-2010's. Kill la Kill is a completely over the top action comedy anime that doesn't take itself seriously and has a lot of nods to old Gainax works (Kill la Kill is made by TRIGGER, which has a lot of former Gainax talent). It's really great, and it's the type of anime that can allow even the most jaded anime fans to relive the "wow japanese cartoons are so weird and different" high.

- His and Her Circumstances. Speaking of old Gainax shows, this one's probably their most underrated. Might not be your cup of tea if romance isn't your thing, but make no mistake.... this isn't a girly anime. This is probably the most balanced romance show you're likely to encounter. It doesn't cater specifically to guys or girls, it's going for something a bit more realistic and introspective than a typical romcom girls might enjoy or a harem anime that guys might drool over.

- Anything by Mamoru Hosoda (Summer Wars being my favorite). His films are typically very funny and heartwarming, though typically have some dark dramatic moments, and may have a splash of action and/or romance. Very good stuff, I'm eagerly anticipating the English release of his next film.

And of course, there's more great stuff out there... but no point in overloading you any more. :lol:
I appreciate the compliment on my taste, especially considering Netflix's options aren't really considered great by the majority of the anime community.

Planates:
523b92610ae3f2b7a9cfcad0a530710e.jpg

Capeta/Initial D/Racing Anime. To be honest, I'm not really into the Japanese racing scene. I appreciate their cars, they make some wonderfully comfortable commuters, while still understanding that driving can be fun as well. When it comes to motorsport, I don't really watch much. The occasional drag race, sometimes I see what's going on at Road Atlanta, and watch that on TV. Love racing games though, which is what brought me here. Then, I lost interest in GT6, and stayed here because I made friends, this is by far the most pleasant forum I've been on that has GTA forums on it, and now, it appears to have a helpful, friendly anime subsection, whereas a lot of pure anime sites are filled with bigots. However, I may give those a try if I get bored one day.

Surrealism, seems to be a theme here. 👍

Makoto has his work cut out for him on topping Moribito. Wonderfully animated show, that is. However, I'll have to give them a try. I'm a sucker for romance. Ever want to bring me to tears, have two characters fall in love, and kill one of them. As long as they're well written characters that I attach to, that tears me apart. :embarrassed:

Noted. Action Comedies sound good, I'll be sure to watch it after the series' you mentioned. Wait, I saw Roger's trigger warning there. I'm not a huge fan of graphic sex scenes. How bad is it, exactly?

I don't care for romcom, and I'm not sure what a Harem anime is, but I love a good romance story. I'll be sure to try it.

Mamoru Hosoda, sounds like a very well-balanced director. I might could get behind some of his stuff.

I was inclined towards recommending Hosoda's stuff, but didn't want to go OTT with how many things I was recommending.

Serial Experiments Lain gets a nod as a recommendation if the viewer just wants to watch something very atmospheric. Personally I think it works a lot better when taken as a work of audiovisual art rather than a TV series in the traditional sense. Best watched with the lights out at night through headphones, in Japanese of course.

Kill La Kill, it's probably worth being familiar with earlier Gainax stuff first. It's great fun but it definitely deserves, an, ahem, Trigger warning for its over the top sex and violence which might put more than a few people off.

Haven't seen Planetes, His And Her Circumstances, or any of Makato Shinkai's stuff but I've been kinda meaning too. Eventually. Maybe someday.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Not anime but related, if you've enjoyed the likes of Lain, Evangelion, or any other weird anime, check out Don Hertzfeldt's It's Such A Beautiful Day. Like, now. It's amazing and on Netflix and Vimeo apparently. The last third in particular is utterly beautiful and superb.
I'll be sure to give that a try, thanks. We have a Netflix subscription, and I'm gonna bleed the anime section dry before I go paying for another site.

Naoki Urasawas' Monster : A good thriller bout a child Experiment after the Cold War; You have to pay attention to some details to make sure the character your watching is the right character.
Sounds right up my alley, thanks. I love thrillers and suspense stories.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Got a lot to go through. :D Death Note first though, since my sister recommended it to me.

@Dagger311, I'd recommend Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt. It's the last major anime done by Gainax before Imaishi's departure and formation of Studio Trigger, but good Lord, is it an amazing swan song. Its Western animation-inspired art is definitely one of its kind in all anime, and while its unabashed raunchiness might put people off a bit (I swear I thought it was a hentai when I first saw its name!), it's also exactly why it has been acclaimed as the anime equivalent to South Park. It's also the one show which began my definitive conversion to anime. Too bad there won't be any second season from the looks of it...

As for racing anime, I'd recommend Future GPX Cyber Formula. Think of futuristic Formula 1 and you pretty much get this series. It's also created by Sunrise, the one studio that created the legendary Gundam series, as well as Code Geass (another anime I'd recommend).

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is a fantastic choice as well, if you want your fix of ultra-manliness and all-around badassery.

@Dagger311, I'd recommend Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt. It's the last major anime done by Gainax before Imaishi's departure and formation of Studio Trigger, but good Lord, is it an amazing swan song. Its Western animation-inspired art is definitely one of its kind in all anime, and while its unabashed raunchiness might put people off a bit (I swear I thought it was a hentai when I first saw its name!), it's also exactly why it has been acclaimed as the anime equivalent to South Park. It's also the one show which began my definitive conversion to anime. Too bad there won't be any second season from the looks of it...
Sounds interesting, to say the least. Don't really care for South Park though, so... :P

Sounds interesting, to say the least. Don't really care for South Park though, so... :P

You should still give it a try, because its experimentality makes it really the most unique anime since FLCL.

If you search instead for darker, more visceral shows, you can't go wrong with Elfen Lied, Akame ga Kill, Gangsta, and Mirai Nikki. Especially the latter (Yuno FTW!). Durarara!!, while not exactly "dark", is also really good with its urban-meets-supernatural style.

Another overlooked gem you should really try out is Nichijou, which is... Well... Slice of life exaggerated. And it's AWESOME.

Anywhere I can watch any of those?

Funimation streams Terror in Resonance.

I'd recommend Katanagatari. Written by the same guy who wrote Bakemonogatari so there's a lot of dialogue. But the art production is very refreshing, and the adherent wordplay is downplayed so it isn't as extensive as Bakemono. Plus it closes in the most competent way possible. Each episode is I think about an hour each too.

Literally one anime I would really like to have an additional iteration, or be as large as Bakemono.

EDIT:

Speaking of Studio Ghibli, I'd take a look at The Wind Rises. Literally the very last work Miyazaki has worked on before his subsequent retirement. It isn't the best film Ghibli has made (in my personal opinion I'd reserve that merit to Spirited Away) but honestly it's a decent close to Miyazaki's direction. Plus it oozes pretty interesting themes that gives the film way more value than what most people see it for.

Last edited:
I just watched an episode of Elfen Lied.

What the hell did I just watch?

Though, I would say the "wat" factor wouldn't top that of NGO.

Or Cat Soup.

Well, no suggestions to watch "Gunsmith Cats"? Come on people, we can't just stick to the "100% Pure Weeb" suggestions...

I kid, I kid. But for @Dagger311, that would be a great starting point; "Gunsmith Cats" is short (three episodes), easy to digest and it has enough American inspirations to stand out from the more traditional (so to speak) animes. Plus, with a perfectly recreated version of Chicago, great action scenes and a Shelby GT500, it has the traits that you'd see from an American cop show, but with gals. No messy teenage angst, no off-the-wall wackiness and definitely no overly awkward character interactions between a young boy and a harem of girls. That would be all I'd say about it, really. Feel free to follow or ignore my suggestion Dagger, but at least keep it in mind. ;)👍

Last edited:
Oh, @Dagger311, as one more suggestion, watch Lupin III. It's not the single most popular anime here in Italy for no reason. And trust me, we Italians love anime. ;)

I'd also suggest Black Butler and Hellsing if you want an occult-fueled shonen anime (even though the former has a huge female audience). Hayate the Combat Butler is also a good choice if you want something more in the lines of a teen drama-meets-sitcom-meets-shonen kind of show.

Last edited:
Well, no suggestions to watch "Gunsmith Cats"? Come one people, we can't just stick to the "100% Pure Weeb" suggestions...

I kid, I kid. But for @Dagger311, that would be a great starting point; "Gunsmith Cats" is short (three episodes), easy to digest and it has enough American inspirations to stand out from the more traditional (so to speak) animes. Plus, with a perfectly recreated version of Chicago, great action scenes and a Shelby GT500, it has the traits that you'd see from an American cop show, but with gals. No messy teenage angst, no off-the-wall wackyness and definitely no overly awkward character interactions. That would be all I'd say about it, really. Feel free to follow or ignore my suggestion Dagger, but at least keep it in mind. ;)👍
Thanks. The only thing I hate about animes are actually the fact they're so short. They end too quickly! Not to keep going on about the same anime, but only having watched three, I don't have many to speak on. Moribito was only 26 Episodes, 24 minutes each. I almost didn't wanna watch it, cause it would be over. :lol: You grow so attached to characters, and then it ends as soon as you start liking them.

Psycho-Pass was even worse, at 11 episodes! I could've watched that in a couple nights!

That one sounds like an action-based anime though, so it might pull off the short thing well.

Oh, @Dagger311, as one more suggestion, watch Lupin III. It's not the single most popular anime here in Italy for no reason. And trust me, we Italians love anime. ;)

I'd also suggest Black Butler and Hellsing if you want an occult-fueled shonen anime (even though the former has a huge female audience). Hayate the Combat Butler is also a good choice if you want something more in the lines of a teen drama-meets-sitcom-meets-shonen kind of show.
I'll keep an eye on all those, thanks. Helsing... Any relation to the story of Van Helsing? Love that movie.

Thanks. The only thing I hate about animes are actually the fact they're so short. They end too quickly! Not to keep going on about the same anime, but only having watched three, I don't have many to speak on. Moribito was only 26 Episodes, 24 minutes each. I almost didn't wanna watch it, cause it would be over. :lol: You grow so attached to characters, and then it ends as soon as you start liking them.

Psycho-Pass was even worse, at 11 episodes! I could've watched that in a couple nights!

That one sounds like an action-based anime though, so it might pull off the short thing well.

Well, animes such as One Piece or Naruto clearly beg to differ on that "episode count" thing, but of course they have severe drawbacks as a result of such daring, which can be described in two deadly words; filler episodes. Needless to say, the perfect length for me would be around the 40 or so episodes, so that it doesn't last for too short of a time period, making you more attached to what's going one, but not too long either as to cause you to lose interest because it's dragging on. Of course, those are my five cents on the matter, so others will also beg to differ about that...

As for Gunsmith Cats, the short length is both good and bad; good because as the OVA deals with an original story, it can have a clear start and finish, instead of leaving plot holes and awkward breaks behind after you've done watching it. On the other hand, it means that the action will still leave you wanting more, but sadly people never picked up the manga as a fully-fledged show, therefore meaning that those three episodes are the only animated sequences in the series. Still, it manages its short time well, which is more than what can be said about other OVAs of the 1990's...

Crunchyroll
S T O P
T
O
P

Crunchyroll is about the worst place to get any kind of online media.
Just sayin'.

I've heard of Cowboy Bebop, and by extension, Samurai Champloo. It sounds a little goofy, to be honest. I like more serious plots.
These two sound goofy, but trust me, there is no way to get any more serious once the plot starts putting itself together. Just watch it :P

Also I actually haven't watched a 26-episode anime in a LONG time. 13 episodes is actually enough for me.

Well, animes such as One Piece or Naruto clearly beg to differ on that "episode count" thing, but of course they have severe drawbacks as a result of such daring, which can be described in two deadly words; filler episodes. Needless to say, the perfect length for me would be around the 40 or so episodes, so that it doesn't last for too short of a time period, making you more attached to what's going one, but not too long either as to cause you to lose interest because it's dragging on. Of course, those are my five cents on the matter, so others will also beg to differ about that...

As for Gunsmith Cats, the short length is both good and bad; good because as the OVA deals with an original story, it can have a clear start and finish, instead of leaving plot holes and awkward breaks behind after you've done watching it. On the other hand, it means that the action will still leave you wanting more, but sadly people never picked up the manga as a fully-fledged show, therefore meaning that those three episodes are the only animated sequences in the series. Still, it manages its short time well, which is more than what can be said about other OVAs of the 1990's...
I know. Naruto is too long for me.

I think 35-40 episodes is good, if there's ample character growth to keep things interesting. There's a few filler episodes in Moribito, because they didn't have enough material from the novel to make the show long enough. However, they used them to do things like develop the characters, and to show passage of time in a realistic way.

It also showed that things didn't happen instantly for the characters. They had a time where things were quiet.

I thought Psycho-Pass had 22 episodes
That it is, I was thinking of the second season, most likely.

S T O P
T
O
P

Crunchyroll is about the worst place to get any kind of online media.
Just sayin'.

These two sound goofy, but trust me, there is no way to get any more serious once the plot starts putting itself together. Just watch it :P

Also I actually haven't watched a 26-episode anime in a LONG time. 13 episodes is actually enough for me.
Crunchyroll is alright, and if they ever get access to more Moribito, I'll be signing up for whatever kind of membership I need to get it.

I hear Funimation is really good though. Not heard much bad about Crunchyroll though.

I'll try them eventually.

I went from Sons of Anarchy (Like seven seasons, each episode 42 minutes long) to Moribito though, that made it feel even shorter.

Care to elaborate? What exactly do you have against Crunchyroll?
Paying for HD media? What year is this, 2007?
Yea, and the ads in the middle of the videos are a pain in the rear.
Crunchyroll is alright
I don't understand why people pay for Crunchyroll premium when it has an absolutely tiny library and you can find the same services on other websites.

So there's my irks about it.

So I had an epiphany while, er, "enjoying" some Kancolle hentai.

If these girls are anthropomorphized ships, then that must mean that they've had seamen in them every day since the day they were born.

List is here. NSFW Language warning.

Perhaps, but using that same logic, the source of your "enjoyment" almost certainly counts as necrophilia.

Especially when they are dry dock.

Oh God, stop. Don't even go there with the Abyssals, please.

Latest Posts

Back