The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,789 comments
I've been talking **** about the most popular series in the world of doujinshi. That is, the series with the most doujinshi.

Feel free to grill me on something I said about something or other, or about my lack of knowledge of some of the series (Fate, Gundam etc.)
C-ZETA
...pretenders...

...exactly the same as before...

Aquors
Sorry, I can't let that slide. It's like old New Top Gear fans blindly hating on new New Top Gear because it's copying the same "three-man" formula of the Clarkson, Hammond and May era, without realizing the changes they made to make it their own.

I know I'm not the right person to talk about comparing µ's to Aqours (because I just joined idol hell during Sunshine's run), but I saw the differences of a similar premise.

Both of their high schools are foreseeing closure due to lack of applicants, yes; both protagonists, Honoka and Chika, even saw this opportunity of school idols to save their respective schools, yes (hell, Chika was even happy it was happening as they just formed Aqours!) However, µ's successfully did saved their closure in just 8 episodes, while Aqours is still not there yet.

Another minor difference is the popularity. µ's gained their easily because Love Live at their time was just establishing, and it just so happens that they became god tier, crushing the competition like A-Rise. In Aqours' time, the game has changed. They followed µ's old formula but failed to reach out (in the Tokyo idol invitation event) because the other idol groups, like Saint Snow, have stepped up the competition.

In your case of them being "pretenders", heck, they even dedicated an episode in the anime of leaving behind following µ's and starting their own path. Isn't that a good sign that they'll stray away from being µ's 2.0?

Series aside, the singles they've released have been amazing, especially when watching them live (via satellite)! I've listened to many µ's songs ever since I've played School Idol Festival, and compared to Aqours, it's a step-up to their conventional, idol genres, which was my first expectations while entering idol hell. Don't get me wrong, I love songs like Ai****eru Banzai, Natsuiro egao de 1 2 jump, Bokura wa Ima no Naka de, No brand girls, Kuririn MIRACLE (Rin solo track), Nico puri Jyoshi dou (Nico solo track), and Snow halation (because SiIvaGunner hehe); but I somehow listened to Daydream Warrior, Mattete Ai no Uta, Guilty Eyes Fever (Guilty Kiss sub-unit), Yozora wa Nandemo ****teru no (CYaRon! sub-unit), Waku-Waku-Week! (first year track), G Senjou no Cinderella (third year track), Thrilling One Way, Taiyou o Oikakero, HAPPY PARTY TRAIN...

I can go on and on. The emotion seiyuus bring out on their singles, I felt it come out more on Aqours than µ's. Again, not saying µ's is emotionless, Aqours just managed to step up in their predecessors.

You can still love µ's and still chant "µ'sic Forever!", but calling Aqours just a copycat is just plain wrong, and goes to show how little you know them.

Last edited:
Pretenders is a bit harsh; unimaginative is probably a better term. In the end it made sense, but it wasn't until episode eight (iirc) that there was the whole 'we need to go a different path'. It really tested loyalty to the franchise because it was using a massive amount of tropes from the original that could've easily been replaced with something new - we didn't really need another shock piano player, groper, etc. I liked the idea of inspired =/= copying but imo it took far too long to be drawn out. For a lot of people just getting into the series - whom may not be die hard followers after watching the original, it left a lot to be desired. I still watched every episode as quickly as possible (some in the middle of camp, holding back emotions!) but even then it was hard to push on at times.

To be fair, i dont really get the appeal on the maid dragon series. Maybe interesting to see several episodes, but not to the point of invested on it. My opinion, though.

On the other hand, if you like Konosuba Light Novels, volume 11 out 1st May and second OVA out Summer 2017.

http://konosuba.wikia.com/wiki/Konosuba_Light_Novel_Volume_11
Okay I sound biased there :P

GUYS

Grand Order in NA! We should all play and help me get Shiki and Santa Alter and Kintoki

Also, I watched Danmachi from Aiz' perspective and so far, it's interesting. As is Saekano s2 because Utaha is best.

Last edited:
Sorry, I can't let that slide. It's like old New Top Gear fans blindly hating on new New Top Gear because it's copying the same "three-man" formula of the Clarkson, Hammond and May era, without realizing the changes they made to make it their own.

I know I'm not the right person to talk about comparing µ's to Aqours (because I just joined idol hell during Sunshine's run), but I saw the differences of a similar premise.

Both of their high schools are foreseeing closure due to lack of applicants, yes; both protagonists, Honoka and Chika, even saw this opportunity of school idols to save their respective schools, yes (hell, Chika was even happy it was happening as they just formed Aqours!) However, µ's successfully did saved their closure in just 8 episodes, while Aqours is still not there yet.

Another minor difference is the popularity. µ's gained their easily because Love Live at their time was just establishing, and it just so happens that they became god tier, crushing the competition like A-Rise. In Aqours' time, the game has changed. They followed µ's old formula but failed to reach out (in the Tokyo idol invitation event) because the other idol groups, like Saint Snow, have stepped up the competition.

In your case of them being "pretenders", heck, they even dedicated an episode in the anime of leaving behind following µ's and starting their own path. Isn't that a good sign that they'll stray away from being µ's 2.0?

Series aside, the singles they've released have been amazing, especially when watching them live (via satellite)! I've listened to many µ's songs ever since I've played School Idol Festival, and compared to Aqours, it's a step-up to their conventional, idol genres, which was my first expectations while entering idol hell. Don't get me wrong, I love songs like Ai****eru Banzai, Natsuiro egao de 1 2 jump, Bokura wa Ima no Naka de, No brand girls, Kuririn MIRACLE (Rin solo track), Nico puri Jyoshi dou (Nico solo track), and Snow halation (because SiIvaGunner hehe); but I somehow listened to Daydream Warrior, Mattete Ai no Uta, Guilty Eyes Fever (Guilty Kiss sub-unit), Yozora wa Nandemo ****teru no (CYaRon! sub-unit), Waku-Waku-Week! (first year track), G Senjou no Cinderella (third year track), Thrilling One Way, Taiyou o Oikakero, HAPPY PARTY TRAIN...

I can go on and on. The emotion seiyuus bring out on their singles, I felt it come out more on Aqours than µ's. Again, not saying µ's is emotionless, Aqours just managed to step up in their predecessors.

You can still love µ's and still chant "µ'sic Forever!", but calling Aqours just a copycat is just plain wrong, and goes to show how little you know them.

SVX
Pretenders is a bit harsh; unimaginative is probably a better term. In the end it made sense, but it wasn't until episode eight (iirc) that there was the whole 'we need to go a different path'. It really tested loyalty to the franchise because it was using a massive amount of tropes from the original that could've easily been replaced with something new - we didn't really need another shock piano player, groper, etc. I liked the idea of inspired =/= copying but imo it took far too long to be drawn out. For a lot of people just getting into the series - whom may not be die hard followers after watching the original, it left a lot to be desired. I still watched every episode as quickly as possible (some in the middle of camp, holding back emotions!) but even then it was hard to push on at times.

I admit Aquors seems like duplicating or copycat some characteristics of the originals at the beginning of the anime, but as story progressed they realized being the same doesn't mean they are going to be as good as the first either, so they decided to change and make their own way. And that reason is why I quite enjoyed the anime, especially at the mid season to the end I think it is where this show shines and I'm flattered at what they did in the final episode, even though it feel some kind of "this is just the beginning" cliche in the end, but frankly I don't bother about that and really excited to see how they are going to developed as a group as well as their individuals at their journey to the top for next season.

This will sounds ridiculous but if I may give my simple analogy of LL based on GT series that means Muse is GT3, the best GT ever with the highest sales rating than other series as also the most memorable of them all. While Aquors is simply GT4 where it looks and feels the same with it's predecessor, but it has something that makes it different in the whole like inclusion of Photomode and other bunch of stuff. It is making it is own character as a more refined experience for GT players and fans that time and it works. My apology if it doesn't make sense but that is what I have thought in my mind right now. Might have better examples but can't think other than GT honestly dunno why lol.

Better late than never...?

Other good thing about LL is how they are turned up being popular as meme materials and spreaded (more like spamming lol) over the internet.

Well, other anime can turn into meme too, but LL is one as the most overused as meme materials and become mainstream imo for recent years.

IMG_2416.PNG

(Artist: @aeteteikousinai/Twitter)

Am I the only one, who wants to fund this? Syanago battling other Syanago, in Pokémon fashion.

Sounds good, but I'll pass on the complimentary V8 smoothie.

You mean V8 "blender"? That is also good imo and surely create some nice rumbling sounds, but still not sure about the safety and how loud it is when you step on it will cause a miles of disturbance in your neighborhood :lol:. Otherwise it is cool and creative (also mad lol) idea I guess. Here some good old Top Gear :

Also, nice Tanya PP btw. I like it 👍

In reference of Mitsubishi joining Renault-Nissan:

IMG_2419.JPG

(Artist: @kanirunner7/Twitter)

"If the Evo F.E. was an Idol for Usagisan Production...(Nissan's fictional record label in the Syanago Universe.)"

Last edited:
I'm catching up on JoJo and Maidragon. And yes, I watch Maidragon for the plot. The big, round, supple plots. :embarrassed:

DK
I'm catching up on JoJo and Maidragon. And yes, I watch Maidragon for the plot. The big, round, supple plots. :embarrassed:

I'm all for that Quetzacoatl fan art.

Maidragon is good btw. I enjoyed and find it quite relaxing to watch. Like the idea of dragon learn to together with humans and how they change a person life (Kobayashi), also some good humour too. And yeah Lucoa (Quetzalcoatl) is bae, especially when she's always teasing that young boy Shota. Those moments are hilarious lol.

Actually Maidragon is last season show btw, so who's here watch new show/sequels of Spring season right now? Maybe someone here can share first impressions and thought about it if you want.

I won't be watching anything new until Sunshine S2 is out. Watched EoE with my boys last night. Always great to see people's reaction to it the first time.

The only Amine I've ever watched was Fairy Tail to one-hundererered and two episodes in. I've never watched another one since.

'Been thinking about watching Hunter X Hunter though, not sure if it's any good or not though. Second opinion?

Last edited:
SVX
I won't be watching anything new until Sunshine S2 is out. Watched EoE with my boys last night. Always great to see people's reaction to it the first time.

Ok. Well last night I accidentally found Evangelion 1.0 when searching channel in my TV (thank goodness it is just started when I found it) and decided to watch it. Pretty good imo and things were epic and tense when the attack starts, one of the mecha anime that I quite enjoyed so far (other would be Macross, because I just like the design of Valkyries). It is also quite deep and dark. I don't know if I should knowing more about this series but from my impression it is great to watch. Also, I think I kinda attracted to Rei now lol.

Actually, this not the first time I saw Evangelion on TV. When I was younger I remember seen it in a glimpse but because I'm not into mecha anime at that time, so I just watch it a bit. I thought Eva 1.0 have Asuka though, but she isn't there. Because the one I watch back then have Asuka, so I quite confused. Maybe the one I watch in the past is EoE then.

The only Amine I've ever watched was Fairy Tail to one-hundererered and two episodes in. I've never watched another one since.

'Been thinking about watching Hunter X Hunter though, not sure if it's any good or not though. Second opinion?

I used to love Fairy Tail. One of my favorite series, but because it is too long with filler episodes and stuff I decided to need some break. Also, I found the story progression is not as good as the earlier seasons that would be the reason too. Dunno about Hunter X Hunter though.

Last edited:
SVX
Watch the original series, right now!

Haha, I know you would say that though. Might need find a spare time to watch it because it is going to be long lol. Also what you think about Eva 1.0? I thought it is pretty good.

Haha, I know you would say that though. Might need find a spare time to watch it because it is going to be long lol. Also what you think about Eva 1.0? I thought it is pretty good.

Very close to the original. Basically a theatrical version of it. I liked it a lot.

SVX
Very close to the original. Basically a theatrical version of it. I liked it a lot.

Glad you like it. I also thought it is a good one. (still figured out what version did I watch for the first time. It was a long time ago and I only watched it a bit)

Also, is the 1.0 basically a remake based on episodes in TV series turned into a full movie? Also who is your favorite character in that movie? Sorry if I ask too much.

Glad you like it. I also thought it is a good one. (still figured out what version did I watch for the first time. It was a long time ago and I only watched it a bit)

Also, is the 1.0 basically a remake based on episodes in TV series turned into a full movie? Also who is your favorite character in that movie? Sorry if I ask too much.

No no, it's fine. Good to have some proper discussion in here. ;)

1.0 is pretty close to a theatrical version of the earlier episodes, yeah. 2.0 somewhat close with some differences but with a completely different ending. 3.0 basically has no similarity.

My favourite is Misato. If there was anyone else?

Back