• 755 comments

Tom

Voice of Gran Turismo
Premium
United Kingdom
Kent
tombrookscomms
Discuss everything from Band Members to Best Albums, right here! 👍

How do we start a second Maiden conversation!? So... What does everyone think of The Final Frontier? 💡

Skython11
How do we start a second Maiden conversation!? So... What does everyone think of The Final Frontier? 💡

Easily! :lol: But I like The Final Frontier, Maiden are seeming to go towards a more Progressive Rock route over the last few years...

That's why I love the newer albums, I'm a fan of progressive. :D

Me too, changing the subject once again, I've got a great Prog Rock band that you'll probably like, PM and I'll link you. 👍

havn't had a good opportunity to sit and listen to final fronteir, so i continue to put it off.

Piece of mind is still my favorite album.

The drumming in the beginning of Sattelite 15...The Final Frontier is just ridiculous. While it is a great song and seems the get the most attention as it was the first Grammy winner and the lead-off single, I think El Dorado was one of the weaker songs on the album. The title track, The Man Who Would Be King and When the Wild Wind Blows are probably my favorites.

On another note, Donnington '92 and Maiden England are due to be remastered and re-released on DVD sometime late next year or early 2013 :D. I have a DVD recording of the Maiden England VHS and that show is awesome. A lot of songs they only played on that tour. Wish they would release the Paris '87 or Sheffield '86 show on DVD as I know they were pro-shot for TV, lots of SIT songs they rarely played on there.

When the Wild Wind Blows has probably some of the strongest song writing I've ever heard and maybe even history. I literally shook my head, smiled and said "WOW" the very first time I heard it.

The drumming in the beginning of Sattelite 15...The Final Frontier is just ridiculous. While it is a great song and seems the get the most attention as it was the first Grammy winner and the lead-off single, I think El Dorado was one of the weaker songs on the album. The title track, The Man Who Would Be King and When the Wild Wind Blows are probably my favorites.

On another note, Donnington '92 and Maiden England are due to be remastered and re-released on DVD sometime late next year or early 2013 :D. I have a DVD recording of the Maiden England VHS and that show is awesome. A lot of songs they only played on that tour. Wish they would release the Paris '87 or Sheffield '86 show on DVD as I know they were pro-shot for TV, lots of SIT songs they rarely played on there.

What about Starblind, I've noticed it is really underrated yet it is probably my favourite on the album along with The Man who would be King and When the Wild Wind Blows. They are some of Maiden's best songs for me.

When the Wild Wind Blows has probably some of the strongest song writing I've ever heard and maybe even history. I literally shook my head, smiled and said "WOW" the very first time I heard it.

I got the flow and read the lyric book and tried singing along with the intro (almost improv because I had never heard it before hand) the flow of the song is just astonishing! :drool: If this were to be as rumoured Maiden's last album... What a way to go out.

On another note, has anyone noticed a strange dink in Rime of the Ancient Mariner at 11.22? Just before the verse there's a strange dink. Might just be my copy.

Fortunes of war, fortunes of war, fortunes of war no pain anymore, fortunes of waaar, woo wooo woo wooo... :D

Fortunes of war, fortunes of war, fortunes of war no pain any more, fortunes of waaar, woo wooo woo wooo... :D

The X Factor is a good album, I think there is a little Queensrÿche influence to be honest. Listen The Aftermath. Then listen to Queensrÿche's Take Hold of the Flame (until the distortion) you may be able to link an influence. 2.A.M. is a good song too.

2 A.M I do like. And TFF is definitely not Maidens last..they've said they plan on more.

Skython11
I think Maiden said they won't do another album unless everyone wants to do one.

As stated they have they'll probably be doing another album, this was mentioned when I saw them on the 6th of August. Bruce stated "Right, we're gonna be playing some great stuff for you tonight, we've got 14 albums to choose from, so it shouldn't be too hard. I think we should do another, don't you?" Screams and cheers from the audience. This probably indicates that there will be another Maiden album in the future. 👍

As stated they have they'll probably be doing another album, this was mentioned when I saw them on the 6th of August. Bruce stated "Right, we're gonna be playing some great stuff for you tonight, we've got 14 albums to choose from, so it shouldn't be too hard. I think we should do another, don't you?" Screams and cheers from the audience. This probably indicates that there will be another Maiden album in the future. 👍

The Final Frontier IS the 15th album.

1. Iron Maiden
2. Killers
3. The Number of the Best
4. Piece of mind
5. Powerslave
6. Somewhere in Time
7. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
8. No Prayer for the Dying
9. Fear of the Dark
10. The X Factor
11. Virtual XI
12. Brave New World
13. Dance of Death
14. A Matter of Life and Death
15. the Final Frontier

They've already said they're doing at least one more album. They have a DVD from the Final Frontier World Tour set be released next year....and they just released another compilation to compliment Somewhere Back In Time called From Fear To Eternity, which covers 1990 on. They have also said that both Maiden England and Donnington '92 will be re-realesed on DVD

The Final Frontier IS the 15th album.

1. Iron Maiden
2. Killers
3. The Number of the Best
4. Piece of mind
5. Powerslave
6. Somewhere in Time
7. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
8. No Prayer for the Dying
9. Fear of the Dark
10. The X Factor
11. Virtual XI
12. Brave New World
13. Dance of Death
14. A Matter of Life and Death
15. the Final Frontier

I think they we're either trying to state that the concert was the 15th Album Tour, if that makes sense. Or I got it wrong and he said 15...

They've already said they're doing at least one more album. They have a DVD from the Final Frontier World Tour set be released next year....and they just released another compilation to compliment Somewhere Back In Time called From Fear To Eternity, which covers 1990 on. They have also said that both Maiden England and Donnington '92 will be re-realesed on DVD

Awesome, I loved Donnington '92. 👍

Yup at least one more. Will be a sad day when it's all over though.

Yup at least one more. Will be a sad day when it's all over though.

Sure will be. Just like it was a sad day when I found out Judas Priest announced their Farewell Tour. I hope they leave their last album as Nostradamus because that's an amazing album.

Maiden has left just as big of a mark in the metal scene. When they leave it will leave a giant hole, Metal will never be the same. Just got to hope new metal bands come around, Edguy for example, they started in 1992 (as 14 year olds) ans they are very good. But I'll probably cry when Maiden retires. :(

Sure will be. Just like it was a sad day when I found out Judas Priest announced their Farewell Tour. I hope they leave their last album as Nostradamus because that's an amazing album.

Maiden has left just as big of a mark in the metal scene. When they leave it will leave a giant hole, Metal will never be the same. Just got to hope new metal bands come around, Edguy for example, they started in 1992 (as 14 year olds) ans they are very good. But I'll probably cry when Maiden retires. :(

While JP is calling the Epitaph tour their "farewell" tour, it really isnt, it's just their last major world tour. It has been said that when Richie Faulkner joined, he breathed new life into the band. There is a good chance they will do another album as well, but the supporting tour will consist of a smaller tour, mostly European festivals with a handful of American dates.

And yes, it will be a sad day when Maiden hangs it up. I would like to see them at least one more time.

While JP is calling the Epitaph tour their "farewell" tour, it really isnt, it's just their last major world tour. It has been said that when Richie Faulkner joined, he breathed new life into the band. There is a good chance they will do another album as well, but the supporting tour will consist of a smaller tour, mostly European festivals with a handful of American dates.

And yes, it will be a sad day when Maiden hangs it up. I would like to see them at least one more time.

This. I'd be first in line for some tickets. 👍

I would love to see a tour featuring SIT and SSOASS, playing songs that are rarely or never played live. The setlist would look something like this:

Wicker Man
The Trooper
Infinite Dreams
Caught Somewhere In Time
When The Wild Wind Blows
Heaven Can Wait
Alexander the Great (Has Never Been Played Live)
Still Life
Moonchild
Stranger In A Strange Land
The Evil that Men Do
Number of the Beast
Run To the Hills
Encore:
Hallowed be Thy Name
Sanctuary

slayer91
I would love to see a tour featuring SIT and SSOASS, playing songs that are rarely or never played live. The setlist would look something like this:

Wicker Man
The Trooper
Infinite Dreams
Caught Somewhere In Time
When The Wild Wind Blows
Heaven Can Wait
Alexander the Great (Has Never Been Played Live)
Still Life
Moonchild
Stranger In A Strange Land
The Evil that Men Do
Number of the Beast
Run To the Hills
Encore:
Hallowed be Thy Name
Sanctuary

What about Rime of the Ancient Marnier, Wasted Years and Running Free, I know these are from different albums (aside from Wasted Years) but they're classics that should be played at all Maiden concerts.

What about Rime of the Ancient Marnier, Wasted Years and Running Free, I know these are from different albums (aside from Wasted Years) but they're classics that should be played at all Maiden concerts.

I'd end on either Hallowed be Thy Name or When the Wild Wind blows.

I guess you could throw Wasted Years and Running Free in there. And while ROTAM is a fantastic song (one of the 3 best on the album), at 13 minutes plus it takes up too much time in the show in my opinion. If you add those two songs, figure in extended guitar solos on couple songs, and Bruce talking between songs, you're at 2 1/2 hours.
I'd end on either Hallowed be Thy Name or When the Wild Wind blows.

While both would be good closers, my personal favorite closer is Sanctuary.
This is just my opinion. Let's see what you guys think would be a good setlist. I think it will be interesting to see what you guys come up with.

^Okay, here goes...

The Wicker Man
These Colours don't Run
The Apparition
No More Lies
The Prisoner
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
When Two Worlds Collide
The Trooper
Sanctuary
Infinite Dreams

(Small break)