The general WHAT IN THE WORLD is going on in Canada?

Sorry if this is a silly question (not completely intimate with the English language) but isn't "mankind" a genderless word?
When used to describe or in reference to the human race as a whole, yes, it's genderless. I suppose one could use it also to refer to men as mankind and women as womankind if that's even a thing.

Surely, the general point is that western society (well probably most society) has been extremely patriarchal & often misogynistic for millennia - you could start with Genesis & story of Adam & Eve. Using more inclusive language is a small, but significant step away from that, even though it sometimes seems awkward.

Surely, the general point is that western society (well probably most society) has been extremely patriarchal & often misogynistic for millennia - you could start with Genesis & story of Adam & Eve. Using more inclusive language is a small, but significant step away from that, even though it sometimes seems awkward.
Surely the general point of political correctness is to take a word that is already gender neutral and turn it into something supposedly born out of patriarchy or mysogyny or whatever the politically correct buzzword of the day is, in order for our our feckless Prime Minister to score cheap political points even though it seems awkward.

It only has an inclusive flow for people silly enough to have been wasting time needlessly feeling excluded.

Some woman - "I am part of mankind"......... "Job done. Now I will get on with something meaningful for my life".

* I think that we might need to get prisonermonkeys back in here. I fear that the vacuum we've been left with is possibly being filled.

It only has an inclusive flow for people silly enough to have been wasting time needlessly feeling excluded.

Some woman - "I am part of mankind"......... "Job done. Now I will get on with something meaningful for my life".

Here's the thing: for most of recorded history women have been discriminated against by men. They have been bullied, belittled, beaten, raped, burned as "witches", excluded from jobs, excluded from holding property, political rights etc. etc. This is well documented. Discrimination against women continues in much of the world today. Like other historically oppressed people they are pissed off about this history. You feeling entitled to dismiss them as "silly" is part of that history.

@Biggles
If Venus figurines are anything to go by, then females dominated society for many, many millennia, and patriarchy was totally unknown. No one could know who their father was! :lol:
Compared to matriarchy, patriarchy was in comparison a recent development, along with kingship, money, war and agriculture.

Ice Age Venus figurine

Just looked at the video from the actual event.

Context is everything. The woman Trudeau was responding to was in the middle of a long, rambling, proselytizing speech. It's pretty clear that his comment was a somewhat clumsy attempt to inject some levity into what was becoming an increasingly awkward situation.

@Biggles
If Venus figurines are anything to go by, then females dominated society for many, many millennia, and patriarchy was totally unknown.
Compared to matriarchy, patriarchy was in comparison a recent development, along with kingship, money, war and agriculture.

I was placed in the middle of that discussion by my wife's PHD studies. I have to say, I'm a bit dubious about the evidence. See also: The Myth of Matriarchal Prehistory: Why An Invented Past Will Not Give Women a Future by Cynthia Eller.

Here's the thing: for most of recorded history women have been discriminated against by men. They have been bullied, belittled, beaten, raped, burned as "witches", excluded from jobs, excluded from holding property, political rights etc. etc. This is well documented. Discrimination against women continues in much of the world today. Like other historically oppressed people they are pissed off about this history. You feeling entitled to dismiss them as "silly" is part of that history.
That same woman - "🤬 off, I have more important things to do than facilitate the stroking of your self-righteous morality ego".

I think that most women are bigger than caring about such trivialities. I think that you massively undersell them, and that in doing so become guilty of the very thing that your finger waggling purports to expose.

Context is everything. The woman Trudeau was responding to was in the middle of a long, rambling, proselytizing speech. It's pretty clear that his comment was a somewhat clumsy attempt to inject some levity into what was becoming an increasingly awkward situation.
Yes, it was quite effective in diffusing what mattered to that ridiculous woman, just as it is effective in diffusing what matters to women being "bullied, belittled, beaten, raped..."

Just looked at the video from the actual event.

Oddly I didn't find it awkward at all. She came across as quite sincere even if she had an agenda I don't subscribe to, which, as far as I know, isn't unsual in a town hall style meeting. They are a bit of a free-for-all after all. What exactly was awkward about it? Also quite a coincidence that his "joke" conveniently fits his virtue signalling, uber feminist agenda.

It's not about a "feeling", needless or otherwise, the reality is that woman have been excluded. That is changing. Some women may feel that the use of words that implicitly excludes them should be changed. See, for example, the changes made to the Canadian national anthem.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4002268/oh-canada-originally-gender-neutral/

This seems entirely reasonable to me. Not so sure about "peoplekind". Humankind seems like an acceptable compromise.

Oddly I didn't find it awkward at all. She came across as quite sincere even if she had an agenda I don't subscribe to, which, as far as I know, isn't unsual in a town hall style meeting. They are a bit of a free-for-all after all. What exactly was awkward about it? Also quite a coincidence that his "joke" conveniently fits his virtue signalling, uber feminist agenda.

"Sincere"? Well maybe, but so what? What was awkward about it? The crowd was starting to get annoyed with her inappropriate rambling. I think he was trying to cut her off as sensitively as possible while signaling his uber feminist agenda. However, let's not forget ... he did pound the **** out of Patrick Brazeau

"Sincere"? Well maybe, but so what? What was awkward about it? The crowd was starting to get annoyed with her inappropriate rambling. I think he was trying to cut her off as sensitively as possible while signaling his uber feminist agenda. However, let's not forget ... he did pound the **** out of Patrick Brazeau

Inappropriate rambling? What was inappropriate about it? Not sure why you included a video of a charity boxing match, that's a little bizarre, but isn't that the one where they culturally sensitive man of the people Trudeau did an interview afterwards with Rolling Stone and mentioned Brazeau's scrappy Indian heritage, or words to that effect, as the reason he made the perfect foil? I recall a great deal of outrage in the native community after that. I also recall him apologizing afterwards for the "wrong choice of words".

Inappropriate rambling? What was inappropriate about it? Not sure why you included a video of a charity boxing match, that's a little bizarre, but isn't that the one where they culturally sensitive man of the people Trudeau did an interview afterwards with Rolling Stone and mentioned Brazeau's scrappy Indian heritage, or words to that effect, as the reason he made the perfect foil? I recall a great deal of outrage in the native community after that. I also recall him apologizing afterwards for the "wrong choice of words".
Trudumb choosing wrong choice of words! The guy is a bumbling idiot. His father ruined this country. We have a "gender neutral anthem" Read the new lyrics, who was the idiot that thought that up? I'll sing it the way I've sang it since I was 5. If I offend someone, tough 🤬. The new anthem offends me!

I am very familiar with that intersection. My brother used to live just north of Yonge and Steeles and the Finch Subway stop was our jumping off point for going to ballgames, hockey games, downtown etc. Very busy intersection. First reports had no fatalities but it looks like it might not stay that way unfortunately. At least they got the guy.

Some are reporting 9 dead, 16 injured, some of them very seriously so that number will likely go up. Ah but it's just a hit-and-run, nothing to see here, right Justin? Let's not call a spade, a spade, no, we could never be truthful, we might hurt people's feelings....

Sorry, I'm a little sensitive today. On Friday a student in my son's class threatened to cut off the teacher's head and all of the student's heads in her class. The teacher then said " I think I need to call the police, to which they responded "good, I'll cut their heads off too when they arrive". The student is either from Somalia or Syria and was from one of the refugee families that moved into our area last year. And now I find out the school is just going to sweep it under the rug, lovely, and do absolutely nothing about it. I am weighing calling the FBI.

Some are reporting 9 dead, 16 injured, some of them very seriously so that number will likely go up. Ah but it's just a hit-and-run, nothing to see here, right Justin? Let's not call a spade, a spade, no, we could never be truthful, we might hurt people's feelings....

Sorry, I'm a little sensitive today. On Friday a student in my son's class threatened to cut off the teacher's head and all of the student's heads in her class. The teacher then said " I think I need to call the police, to which they responded "good, I'll cut their heads off too when they arrive". The student is either from Somalia or Syria and was from one of the refugee families that moved into our area last year. And now I find out the school is just going to sweep it under the rug, lovely, and do absolutely nothing about it. I am weighing calling the FBI.
How old is said student? Id younger, i dont agree. In that it would probably be more beneficial at first to get the principal involved first, or superintendent given the school may be trying to sweep it away, and see about talking to the parents of said student, perhaps get the kid some counseling. If it then becomes a pattern, or they are well into their teens, then at that point i think I might consider talking to the police.

Last edited:
How old is said student? Id younger, i dont agree. In that it would probably be more beneficial at first to get the principal involved first, or superintendent given the school may be trying to sweep it away, and see about talking to the parents of said student, perhaps get the kid some counseling. If it then becomes a pattern, or they are well into their teens, then at that point i think I might consider talking to the police.

It's a fourth grade class, so I assume they would be 10 (unless they are behind a grade). I doubt the principle would take action as they appear to be the one sweeping this under the rug. It should be mentioned that I know the principle very well in this case, I know his family too, I even know his political views as they apply to this matter, let's just say that we wouldn't have much to agree on. We knew them for many years before we moved into the area 5 years ago. We will communicate with him first, but I doubt anything will be done about it to be quite frank.

I expect consistency and that the rules are in place for a reason, they need to be followed. If my son showed up at school and made violent threats to end the lives of other students and faculty, then I would expect the police to be called to the school. I don't see action being taken at all, which is unfortunate. It seems a double-standard is in place.

It's a fourth grade class, so I assume they would be 10 (unless they are behind a grade). I doubt the principle would take action as they appear to be the one sweeping this under the rug. It should be mentioned that I know the principle very well in this case, I know his family too, I even know his political views as they apply to this matter, let's just say that we wouldn't have much to agree on. We knew them for many years before we moved into the area 5 years ago. We will communicate with him first, but I doubt anything will be done about it to be quite frank.

I expect consistency and that the rules are in place for a reason, they need to be followed. If my son showed up at school and made violent threats to end the lives of other students and faculty, then I would expect the police to be called to the school. I don't see action being taken at all, which is unfortunate. It seems a double-standard is in place.
Kick the kid out of school. We used to have reformitories for kids like that when I was younger. Sounds like a good idea,then the family can sue the Canadian/Ontario governments and we can give them 15 million.

9 dead 16 injured in critical and serious condition. Should have shot the son of a bitch right on the spot. Suicide by cop,too bad. This 🤬 piece of 🤬 should be kicked off the CN Tower. 🤬 a trial.
I disagree, have you seen the White Bear episode of Black Mirror? I think something like that would be more appropriate. Death is to fast, too easy.

I disagree, have you seen the White Bear episode of Black Mirror? I think something like that would be more appropriate. Death is to fast, too easy.
No I have not. Don't watch to much TV. I'm a 4th generation Canadian. Let me take the 🤬 on a hunting trip. I'll introduce him to some of our friendly wildlife. He will never be found.

No I have not. Don't watch to much TV. I'm a 4th generation Canadian. Let me take the 🤬 on a hunting trip. I'll introduce him to some of our friendly wildlife. He will never be found.
:boggled: what does being 4th generation anything have to do with it?

I know some really remote hunting areas that have been in the family for 4 generations! Have you ever been to Northern Ontario?
Naah, Windsor, Toronto and the falls are the only places ive really visited in Canadia. But i know plenty of places in Michigans UP... being 4th generation Michigander... I suppose.
The killer's name is Alek Minassian, an Armenian surname. He was a 25 year old student, and is said to have brandished a gun or cellphone. Since cars probably can't be banned, I intend to invest in sidewalk bollard futures.
Yeah, i saw the video of him trying to get the police to shoot him. Hes on the wrong side of the border for that to have worked.

A possible motive may have emerged. He may have been angry about being rejected by women and emulating Eliot Rodger who went on a killing spree in 2014 for that reason. Supposedly he made a social media post in that vein earlier today but it's not confirmed by investigators yet.

I can't fathom what kind of sick, twisted mind thinks the best solution for coping with rejection is murdering as many innocent people as possible. It's times like this where I wish we had a death penalty, but I honestly think life in prison is a far worse fate.

I'm sorry to hear wh happens at your kids school and really hope that gets adressed.
But I don't get why you imply the 'establishment' wants to call it 'just' a hit and run. It's world news so it clearly isn't just a hit and run. Terrorrism is not yet excluded but not expected as no 'manifesto' has yet been found.

Does a malicious act as this need to be classified as terrorism before the evidence points in that direction for it to be an act of evil?

Was, with the information we now have, the Las vegas shooting a terror attack in your opinion. If so I can understand what you mean if not I don't see why you jump to that conclusion in this case before the evidence comes in.

Back