"The Gentleman's Agreement" - Forbidden Cars in Open Lobbies

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 94 comments
a) If you have an absolute desire to win at all costs / or strive for that sub 6:45s Nordschleife Lap, given 500pp and RS tires, then by all means, choose a leaderboard car.

b) as a gentleman, I know I can get leaderboard times using leaderboard cars, however, I am mature enough to have fun trying to compete with often lesser used cars, perhaps a 500pp muscle car, with a classic frame, perhaps a hard to drive YellowBird that can lead the first half of the lap, (always curse at the idiot that will drive you off the track out of insecurity that is non-reprimandable according to the magical spellbook of penalty offenses at PD), perhaps surprising yourself or others with often neglected cars altogether,

c) if one limits themselves to those 4 leaderboard cars every chance to play, you are either content in your choice, but perhaps missing out on the undisclosed subtleties this fantastic game offers.

Range Rover at 450pp is a blast btw.

Some other goodies that I haven't seen mentioned but I find people often complaining about:
<450PP Sciyobaru, DC2/5 Integra, RX8 road car. MRS/MR2
500PP: Imprezas, NSX-R '02, Spirit R, R1, MRS/MR2, M3 CSL, RGT
550PP: R35s, M3 CSL, NSX-R '02, RGT

Probably forgetting a few but these seem to be the road cars people often consider "OP".

Edit: Come to think of it, the Series One, 3400S, and M3 GTR are pretty quick too.

Last edited:
Here's a list of what I've seen so far till this post. (I might omit due to either forgetfulness or simply i don't agree)

Suzuki GSX-R/4
Ford Focus RS '02
Mazda RX500
Lamborghini Miura P400 Bertone Prototype
TommyKaira ZZII
Honda NSX-R LM Road Car
Honda NSX-R '02 (Most street legal NSXs are pretty fast)
Toyota FT-86 Concepts (original, G-SPORT and II)
Dome Zero
Ferrari Dino 246 GT
Ferrari 458 Italia
Opera S2000
KTM X-BOW (both Street and R)
Lotus Elise (any)
Chapparal 2J
Toyota TS030 Hybrid
Mitsubishi FTO Race Car
Spyker C8 Laviolette
Ferrari 288 GTO (love you, baby.)
Range Rover Evoque (450pp, skeptical..)
Mazda RX-8 (Premium and Concepts)
BMW M3 (E46 models, sans regular '04)
Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A
The New Hachiroku family (86 GT, FR-S and BRZ. Under 500pp)
Shelby Series One
RUF 3400S
RUF RGT
Toyota MR2 (Skeptical without a large straight..)

And my contributions (take a grain of salt):

MUGEN S2000 (Heck, any S2000 except the Amuse S2000 GT1 Turbo)
Enzo Ferrari (Don't know about the FXX, however)
Honda HSV-010
Lexus LFA (Regular and Nurb)
Volkswagen W12 Nardo
Nissan 2020 VGT
Lancia STRATOS (similar to the Dino: more of a high risk-reward car, while larger.)
BMW M5 (both)
Ford GT40 Mk. 1 (in ranges >550pp, that is. Way too high risk.)

My opinion: better drive what you like rather than to win. I drive a couple of these cars (Ferrari GTO and GT40), but not abuse their amazing performance. Naturally, I always swap out after 1 race.

Get good at having and driving the many cars provided in game, and you will, obviously, GIT GUD, SUN.

The RX-7 GT300 is another one of those cars. I see people complaining about the 2005 Pescarolo too. But, I think being lazy by just setting a PP ends up with these problems. Go the extra mile and add HP/weight appropriately.

But, I think being lazy by just setting a PP ends up with these problems. Go the extra mile and add HP/weight appropriately.

It does help.

I've been in a 450pp lobby for the past few days which has a minimum weight of 1000kg and SH tyres. The only car I have that can enter is a 2004 Mazda Miata but it's still competitive and the races have been quite close.

That's not the problem. Regardless of set regulations, there will always be a go-to car that is noticeably quicker. Buy you are right, you'll get closerish results with HP/weight, but of course the best way is individual requirements but that can't be regulated efficiently in an open lobby.

If I see another Lotus Elise race car in a 500PP race, I think I'm going to shoot my man parts off out of rage.

Also, anyone who uses a Chaparral 2J on a seasonal time trial is a massive weenie.

There are many ways to sort out regulations to add variety and closeness to the racing. HP/weight/drivetrain/country/tire choice/reverse grid all come to mind. A strong host that simply dictates the way things are going to be and doesn't tolerate any crap from whiners(I'm looking at you @bloodredsky :lol:) is more than half the battle. In open lobbies the hosts that actually care about that stuff are few and far between. It was that way in GT5, it's that way in GT6 and it'll be that way in GT7. If you find a good host who mixes things up and do the kind of racing you like, stick with them.

IF people would do HP/KG you don't have to worry about this. (Isn't there 50 threads on how broken the PP system is??) take a hint. /thread

Not exactly. For example, the HSV is still miles quicker than most other GT500 cars at 500hp/1100kg. Even with a PP limit added on it would still be unfair. The only solution is to make specific regulations per car.

Not exactly. For example, the HSV is still miles quicker than most other GT500 cars at 500hp/1100kg. Even with a PP limit added on it would still be unfair. The only solution is to make specific regulations per car.
In a series, specific regulations per car are the way to go, but in an open lobby you could resolve this problem by eliminating the MR drivetrain or just having a strong host tell people not to use the HSV and boot them if they do. Problem solved.

How about a handicap system? u car @ v pp = w car @ x pp = y car @ z pp. A list that specifies a variety of autos in various trim that mostly equalizes them.

How about a 1 make race, then set the parameters around that car.

I used to do MX5 TC 1hr endurance races, full damage, full penalties, full weather changes, fast day / night cycles, pit stops, no aids including no abs, im talking full sim settings. Ahh good times....now I got 2 kids instead of 1 :( no time anymore.

IF people would do HP/KG you don't have to worry about this. (Isn't there 50 threads on how broken the PP system is??) take a hint. /thread
Power/weight is inherently broken because it ignores 75% of the car when it comes to match making. Whatever flaws the PP system has, I'd rather use it.

That said, if GT6 still doesn't let you set both at the same time, the online rule settings are hopeless.

I have been in a lobby of cars replicating the Super Touring Cars. I was in S4. And then the S4 is 4WD. So, the S4 was the fastest...

Power/weight is inherently broken because it ignores 75% of the car when it comes to match making. Whatever flaws the PP system has, I'd rather use it.

That said, if GT6 still doesn't let you set both at the same time, the online rule settings are hopeless.

Why not use all 3 restrictions ?
Then it's down to the individual to set his car up around them parameters.
Baring in mind you'll never match all 3, so either choose bhp & weight with less pp or match the pp with less bhp or more weight, if you're unlucky you might only be able to hit 1 of those parameters.

I did this with a GT300 session once & apart from the RAZO silvia (which was crap) everything else was within 1 second of each other.

Saying that ive not tried it out of category racing so I can't comment :)

I think PD need to bring in an option of choosing a certain car & certain parts (suspension, weight reduction, power, etc etc), like what happens manually, i.e. in the series rules, already in many of the equalised performance organised races. The room host/series organisor can set this up for their lobby/series for when people come into the room and choose a car on the list, they can only add/do what has been 'preset'.

Similar to how it stops you from entering the race if you have too much PP, or power/weight. They can then share this list to anyone they want to i.e. some organised series will have multiple room hosts.

This way, the host doesn't have to explain the same thing over and over again, you can only 'tune' your car as per what's allowed.

It takes time to get alot of cars equal, especially with some tracks being power/top speed tracks, and others more 'handling' tracks, so it would take a little while to fine tune the settings, but it'd help bring the cars performance closer than the current PP or power/weight rules...

Dodge Neon SRT-4 in FF only lobbies. It makes an absurd amount of power and spins its tires more easily than a TVR Speed 12 on CH.

You can add the TRIAL CELICA SSII on this list. This thing is very fast on 480-500pp.

depends on the track if the car is fast in comparison to others... PP is not everything as we all know... on Autuumn Ring a KTM X-Bow R is hard to beat but on Highspeed Ring: KTM R < VW W12 Nardó or McLaren F1.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/100-cars-on-3-different-tracks.320276/

the more corners, the better for a light car... also different drivers perform differently with the same car. the guy with 600+ cars on suzuka is faster than me with most cars but much slower with Gallardo or some BMWs for example... it´s senseless to agree on a long list of cars not to use...

The GSX is an extremely popular car in the 500pp non-race car quick battle at Trial Mountain. It's fun to drive there and it's pretty much the only way to win a race there but I actually enjoy using other cars and figuring out how to be at least somewhat competitive. For the most part being light and nimble will handle the circuit better than heavy and high horsepower. My 500pp tune for the Rocket has about 125 HP and it does Trial Mountain in about the same time as my 500pp tune of the Corvette C4 ZR1, which tops out at 140 mph on the straight.

So basically with this agreement, the fastests cars are forbidden(like the Suzuki car), if you get rid of this car or the other super fast cars, wouldn't people just then find the fastest non-forbidden car and use that? Wouldn't those specific non-forbidden cars later on also be banned? It just seems like a chain reaction to me...
Basically my entire thought process reading the OP! :lol:

The GSX is an extremely popular car in the 500pp non-race car quick battle at Trial Mountain. It's fun to drive there and it's pretty much the only way to win a race there

Not really true... The GSX is the fastest car there,very fast on corners,but for this event,it's popular only among very low level players,since it's perfect for them due to it's good and easy handling. But I saw many good drivers with other cars take first place in races I was,usually with 3-8 Suzukis racing together. I like to race there sometimes and could win few times and got a lot of 2-3 places using BTR,RS200,and Clio V6 so far. I can surelly tell you guys that at least 7/10 players that uses GSX there are begginers,that uses it just to compensate their lack of experience,so it's not that hard to win them in this event,but sure,it depends of luck,too.

On 550 pp roadcar races my favourite cars always were Gallardo and 430 Scuderia.One day I used the McLaren MP4-12c and somebody said that it was a lame choice :confused: I don't understand!My lap times were the same as with the Gallardo and the Scuderia.Except 1-2 laps that I was 0,3 faster.
I saw in the tunes section that many people tuning the McLaren for 550pp races so I thought to give it a go.I was only driving her on 600pp races and she was always marvellous and a joy to drive.600pp races are rare though.I am on DFGT btw.

Not really true... The GSX is the fastest car there,very fast on corners,but for this event,it's popular only among very low level players,since it's perfect for them due to it's good and easy handling. But I saw many good drivers with other cars take first place in races I was,usually with 3-8 Suzukis racing together. I like to race there sometimes and could win few times and got a lot of 2-3 places using BTR,RS200,and Clio V6 so far. I can surelly tell you guys that at least 7/10 players that uses GSX there are begginers,that uses it just to compensate their lack of experience,so it's not that hard to win them in this event,but sure,it depends of luck,too.

This is true. I've seen lots of other cars actually pull off victories at Trial Mountain. FT-1, Nova SS, Nissan R390, NSX-R, among others. I actually really enjoy the Dino and I'm starting to see more people using it. My best non-GSX time has been in the Dino but I have to admit I'm not that good at the game. My best time was in the 3:15s and even scrub GSX drivers run it in the low 3:05s and 3:06s.

On 550 pp roadcar races my favourite cars always were Gallardo and 430 Scuderia.One day I used the McLaren MP4-12c and somebody said that it was a lame choice :confused: I don't understand!My lap times were the same as with the Gallardo and the Scuderia.Except 1-2 laps that I was 0,3 faster.
I saw in the tunes section that many people tuning the McLaren for 550pp races so I thought to give it a go.I was only driving her on 600pp races and she was always marvellous and a joy to drive.600pp races are rare though.I am on DFGT btw.

I remember the first time I took the MP4-12C on a race. I was really surprised how much above its weight it can punch at much lower pp. It's pretty awesome.

This thread is nonsense to me. If there's a category like 500pp, whip up the fastest car of that category and use it. That's the point. You're supposed to use the best car in its category. There's no reason to complain. If we could stop calling each other "new" and accusing me of using a Suzuki GSX-R/4 to "compensate for my lack of experience," that'd be great. It's not anyone's fault that your car is slower than someone else's car.

This thread is nonsense to me. If there's a category like 500pp, whip up the fastest car of that category and use it. That's the point. You're supposed to use the best car in its category. There's no reason to complain. If we could stop calling each other "new" and accusing me of using a Suzuki GSX-R/4 to "compensate for my lack of experience," that'd be great. It's not anyone's fault that your car is slower than someone else's car.

Except PP is supposed to rate the performance of a car, it's not a 'category'. Cars of similar PP should put down similar lap times, which they obviously don't in GT6. This thread is just discussing cars that realistically have a higher PP than they are assigned in the game.

Back