The Great Sounds of the Automotive World

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,402 comments
I think VW Bugs sound pretty nice with aftermarket mild cams. This one also has open headers:

Last edited:
Was just browsing the Imports thread a few days ago, and saw postings about rather nice boxer-engine Alfas. Reminded me of another Boxer Alfa, though this one sounds particularly special (from one of my favourite YT channels too :lol:):

This Alfa 1600 Sprint in question, built for the Swiss Hill-climb championship, sounds so good with that 1.6L 4-banger revving upwards of 9,000RPM...

Really one of the best sounds in the automotive world in my opinion, is the sound of a high-revving engine, particularly 4-cylinder units. The strong induction note produced by a set of ITB's is just so alluring, which the 1600 Sprint above is a prime example of :eek:.

So I was watching hatchback videos on youtube, again, and I came across these two that I felt had fantastic sound:

Renaulsport Clio RS 200. Such an exotic sound from this one. I'm a VTEC lover, but this sounds so much sweeter. It actually sounds a *bit* like an RX-8...

Fiat 500 Abarth (300hp). This thing is just a monster. Watching it run away from a 997 GT3 like that is pretty wild.

The 1938 Mercedes-Benz W154 has what is quite possibly the nastiest sounding V12 ever made:

As much as I love the smoothness of Matra and 1960s Ferrari V12s, this sort of thing appeals to me as well.
smiley-cool11.gif

If that wasn't your cup of tea, have this:

Spa_1950.jpg

This Matra MS670 has probably been posted before, worth re-posting though.

Along with the V16 and H16 engines, BRM also made a great sounding V12:

A guy from the fitness has a Mercedes AMG C63S Estate V8 Bi Turbo.

That car sounds amazing.

Last edited:
An Auto Union V16, 'nuff said.

Some Inline-8 goodness, an Alfa P3 being driven the way it is meant to be driven!

An Auto Union V16, 'nuff said.
Probably one of the greatest sounding sounds ever heard on this planet. Sorry, your modern twin turbo V6's / EV Race cars don't come close to the hair raising experience and sound this pure machine has. Absolutely awesome.

Back