The Great Sounds of the Automotive World

  • Thread starter Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,403 comments
  • 122,705 views
I adore high-revving 4-bangers, it's partly why I love the Honda S2000.

But if there's two car's that exemplifie this best, its the Peugeot 306 Maxi Kit Car and Citroen Xsara Maxi Kit car. Picked the two, as they both use the same PSA made XU10J4RS unit, and it's such a screamer (plus both are virtually identical anyway).

At the peak of F2 kit car regs. the engine in both cars were reported to rev to a smidge over 11krpm at their best :drool:.



 
Anyone know what exhaust this lambo has?
 


My God(zilla)... No wonder the R32's won EVERY Group A race in Japan, and two straight Bathurst 1000 victories in '91 and '92.

If this was posted already, sorry.
 
4-Rotor. If you probe for information on this car you'll find the attention to detail that's gone into this build to be amazing. It's a true labour of love and probably one of the nicest cars I've ever seen someone build.

 
Half shameless plug, half relevant to the topic:
 
Bump. Watched this and instantly thought of this thread. I had no idea the Jag V12s would sound so good with a well-tuned exhaust. Close your eyes and you'll swear it's a Zonda!

 
Bump. Watched this and instantly thought of this thread. I had no idea the Jag V12s would sound so good with a well-tuned exhaust. Close your eyes and you'll swear it's a Zonda!


Already posted on this page...
 
So nasty--surely that's not a Rover engine?
No, it's the AJP8, more commonly know as the Speed 8. A flat plane, 75 degree, SOHC 16 valve V8.

Edit: Video from Old Top Gear.

 
Last edited:
This is one mean sounding Boxster:



Also, the build is pretty wild. Moves pretty good for a 2.7, though I don't think it's making as much power as claimed. Probably more like 300-320hp at the wheels.
 
Back