The GT Sport Livery Editor Competition 03 - CLOSED

• Thread starter syntex123
  • 179 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done! I knew someone would do this before I got to it! Although, i was going to use the race mode VGT. Maybe I'll still go for it, with a different livery of course. Don't want to step on toes. :cheers:

To be honest I did both these cars about a month ago, when I saw the theme of the competition I had a look through my liveries to see what I could do and spotted these two already good to go :lol:

If I remember right there's a fairly similar Alpine A110 livery but in yellow that would look pretty smart.

FINAL ENTRY

First time entering a livery contest and also my first time creating something that doesn't exist, so this is all new and exciting for me :P
For the "old" livery entry I've chosen the "go-jigen" supra replica which raced in the All Japan Grand Touring Car Championship in 1997. If they were to make a comeback in the current SuperGT GT500, this is what I imagined the new Team 5Zigen livery would look like on the Lexus RC F.​

FINAL ENTRY

Shell Ferrari 512BB ‘77 & Shell V-Power Ferrari 458 Italia GR4 ‘17.
4972639274977461268_0.jpg

5125761662708614172_0.jpg

Shell liveries were bound to be popular this week and seeing the level of competition last week I knew I had to step up my game.

4981083518168760340_0.jpg

I started with the 512BB, taking some inspiration from Dick Johnson’s Sierra. I like the simplicity of classic race cars and restrained myself from getting too bogged down on the details of this livery. All decals match the era, using ones found from the discover section.
4972639266317304852_0.jpg

5116187108476716052_0.jpg

The 458 on the other hand, I went all out on. Chrome silver is the base, chosen for its modern feel and interesting reflections. The stripework on this car took several hours and used up every layer available in the editor. The chrome base means there is simply no short cuts. Let’s just say that it took lots of small triangles around that shell logo to make it appear like it had been back masked.
4981083526424166420_0.jpg

The design flowed quite naturally and I’m pretty happy with the eye catching style of this livery. I elected against using too many outside sponsors, as I simply didn’t want to make it any more cluttered.

This weeks challenge was brilliant and I look very forward to seeing what the next competition is centred around :gtpflag:

FINAL ENTRY

I have been wanting to do this car for a while, and knew it would be a challenge, so with the theme of this contest, now is the time. There are several of these shared, but this one is by far the most accurate. With all the white on the cars though, the white background is overpowering the images. Would have preferred the freedom of a dark background.

n7SQvOt.jpg

rKtxtv1.jpg

The new version uses the same scheme sort of, but flipped the other direction.

TYBHQBN.jpg

bMkYvXv.jpg

5845742768839722516_0.jpg

Last edited:
FINAL ENTRY

I'll be honest, im pretty sure i wont stand a chance against some of the utterly fantastic entries on display here, but i am happy with what ive achieved. For my Past/Present idea, i went with the fictional sponsor Maxwell Battery - which i jokingly say only used the name Maxwell in the future due to becoming a more prominent battery company and thus, most companies often simplify their names in order to look more modern.

For my two designs, I have stuck entirely to ingame assets, colours and shapes (like i do for most of my liveries) but I did find it particularly tricky. The gap between the two vehicles is supposed to be about 15-20 years, with a street-inspired local livery-esque design for the R34 and a more coming of age but still inspired by the past livery for the 2020 GT-R. Yes this is more Past/Future than Past/Present but it was interesting making two completely original designs!

Infact, the 2020 GT-R had a last minute change of heart before I posted the main entries, where i originally had it in a drastically different colour style, but felt it didnt work all that well in the end as far as matching the compeititon's theme is considered. This was the old version for those curious.
20180419220337.jpg 20180419220346.jpg

Last edited:
FINAL ENTRY

If Nart never Died

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126094723@N05/
More pics and the gifs to be added later, My original idea was to go with Renault for this competition but I didn't fancy remaking a livery already in the game, I did however make the Ferrari 365 GT4 replica a little while back and thought maybe just maybe if Nart was still around how would a 458 look.

I wanted to show as much difference between decades as possible whilst still keeping my signature simple style intact, You'll notice the colour variation probably first of all I thought it really suited the premise of the rules this week, The 365 GT4 is a 99% replica (Photos are really hard to find) of the real car from 1973 so is very plain as were most cars back then, I wanted to show the difference of advertising between then and now so the newer car has a little more of it without going overboard and detracting from the simple main focus of the design being the Nart branding.​

FINAL ENTRY

What if instead being bough out by British American Tobacco, Tyrrell decided to go sports car racing instead?

But first, the old. This is my take on the 1986 Data General Team Tyrrell 015. Not a popular livery by any stretch of the imagination, but it's the team's one livery that I think made the transition from real car to the Gran Turismo F1500T-A the best. This livery is an amalgamation of sorts of all the car over the 1986 season as almost no two cars I found were alike, but the main inspiration for the car was the Monaco Gran Prix livery.

Download link

And now, the new. This is an attempt to make a livery for the 650S if Tyrrell decided to enter the 2018 British GT season with the livery based on their 1986 car. With British GT's required sponsors being Pirelli, Sonoco, and Driven Racing Oil, that meant using Elf and Goodyear, two sponsors that Tyrrell has used almost all throughout their existence, was out. So with that all the other sponsors are the modern equivalents to other sponsors Tyrrell cars had over the years instead, or what would be a modern equivalent in Data General's case since they don't exist anymore. I hope I did the British GT theme justice as I had a lot of fun making this livery and oh how i wish we could place decals on windows already.

Download Link

I hope you all like my liveries and good luck to all the other competitors! :gtpflag:
And thank you @BLiTZ for setting me straight on the theme.​

Last edited:
FINAL ENTRY

Jaguar at Le Mans. The past and today.

40677166525_4444807662_z.jpg

26701600937_aa837a99e0_z.jpg

A pair of Jaguars 50 years apart with a few things common to each other.
Wearing British Racing Green, sitting on Dunlop rubber and Castrol lubricants in the engines.

26701600347_cfc28289d9_z.jpg

40677165325_c11721ecb2_z.jpg

Before sponsors arrived in motorsports, many teams used the color assigned to their country of origin. For Britain and Jaguar, it's green. This XJ13 wears white on its front and side air intakes to help race officials and the Jaguar team identify the car from their multiple entries. Also the car is somewhat road-legal with it carrying a number plate.

XJ13 Download Link.

26701599367_21bbaea1c7_z.jpg

40677164565_3caba45eca_z.jpg

Nowadays sponsorship is a important part on fielding a competitive racing team. This F-Type WEC GTE-Pro car is supported by HSBC (from Jaguar's disappointing F1 effort) and Panasonic (Jaguar's current main sponsor in Formula E), while Jaguar has entrusted Walkinshaw Performance (the successor to TWR) to run the F-Type around the world.

F-Type Download Link.

FINAL ENTRY

First time entering a livery contest and also my first time creating something that doesn't exist, so this is all new and exciting for me :P
For the "old" livery entry I've chosen the "go-jigen" supra replica which raced in the All Japan Grand Touring Car Championship in 1997. If they were to make a comeback in the current SuperGT GT500, this is what I imagined the new Team 5Zigen livery would look like on the Lexus RC F.​

Fantastic work, a great replica and also great fantasy work. One slight big bear for me is the use of both BP and Motul on the modern car as they're both oil suppliers (I know why you've used the modern BP logo but I'd have gone with one over the other). But I won't let that spoil a great detailed livery!

FINAL ENTRY

Shell Ferrari 512BB ‘77 & Shell V-Power Ferrari 458 Italia GR4 ‘17.
4972639274977461268_0.jpg

5125761662708614172_0.jpg

Shell liveries were bound to be popular this week and seeing the level of competition last week I knew I had to step up my game.

4981083518168760340_0.jpg

I started with the 512BB, taking some inspiration from Dick Johnson’s Sierra. I like the simplicity of classic race cars and restrained myself from getting too bogged down on the details of this livery. All decals match the era, using ones found from the discover section.
4972639266317304852_0.jpg

5116187108476716052_0.jpg

The 458 on the other hand, I went all out on. Chrome silver is the base, chosen for its modern feel and interesting reflections. The stripework on this car took several hours and used up every layer available in the editor. The chrome base means there is simply no short cuts. Let’s just say that it took lots of small triangles around that shell logo to make it appear like it had been back masked.
4981083526424166420_0.jpg

The design flowed quite naturally and I’m pretty happy with the eye catching style of this livery. I elected against using too many outside sponsors, as I simply didn’t want to make it any more cluttered.

This weeks challenge was brilliant and I look very forward to seeing what the next competition is centred around :gtpflag:

Nice work! Great use of chrome to give a real up to date look!

MMX
FINAL ENTRY

I have been wanting to do this car for a while, and knew it would be a challenge, so with the theme of this contest, now is the time. There are several of these shared, but this one is by far the most accurate. With all the white on the cars though, the white background is overpowering the images. Would have preferred the freedom of a dark background.

n7SQvOt.jpg

rKtxtv1.jpg

The new version uses the same scheme sort of, but flipped the other direction.

TYBHQBN.jpg

bMkYvXv.jpg

5845742768839722516_0.jpg

Great work as always, the pics look fine to me. I like the 'reversed' idea with the colours.

FINAL ENTRY

I'll be honest, im pretty sure i wont stand a chance against some of the utterly fantastic entries on display here, but i am happy with what ive achieved. For my Past/Present idea, i went with the fictional sponsor Maxwell Battery - which i jokingly say only used the name Maxwell in the future due to becoming a more prominent battery company and thus, most companies often simplify their names in order to look more modern.

For my two designs, I have stuck entirely to ingame assets, colours and shapes (like i do for most of my liveries) but I did find it particularly tricky. The gap between the two vehicles is supposed to be about 15-20 years, with a street-inspired local livery-esque design for the R34 and a more coming of age but still inspired by the past livery for the 2020 GT-R. Yes this is more Past/Future than Past/Present but it was interesting making two completely original designs!

Infact, the 2020 GT-R had a last minute change of heart before I posted the main entries, where i originally had it in a drastically different colour style, but felt it didnt work all that well in the end as far as matching the compeititon's theme is considered. This was the old version for those curious.
View attachment 731028 View attachment 731029

Good work, nice use of the in-game decals!

FINAL ENTRY

If Nart never Died

More pics and the gifs to be added later, My original idea was to go with Renault for this competition but I didn't fancy remaking a livery already in the game, I did however make the Ferrari 365 GT4 replica a little while back and thought maybe just maybe if Nart was still around how would a 458 look.

I wanted to show as much difference between decades as possible whilst still keeping my signature simple style intact, You'll notice the colour variation probably first of all I thought it really suited the premise of the rules this week, The 365 GT4 is a 99% replica (Photos are really hard to find) of the real car from 1973 so is very plain as were most cars back then, I wanted to show the difference of advertising between then and now so the newer car has a little more of it without going overboard and detracting from the simple main focus of the design being the Nart branding.​

This came out really well, simple but that works great on both cars with a clear identity!

FINAL ENTRY

What if instead being bough out by British American Tobacco, Tyrrell decided to go sports car racing instead?

But first, the old. This is my take on the 1986 Data General Team Tyrrell 015. Not a popular livery in the slightest but it's the team's one livery that I think made the transition to the Gran Turismo F1500T-A the best. This livery is an amalgamation of sorts of all the car over the 1986 season as almost no two cars I found were alike, with the main inspiration being the Monaco Gran Prix livery.

Download link

And now, the new. This is an attempt to make a 2018 British GT livery for the 650S if Tyrrell decided to go sports car racing instead. The main inspiration is of course the six wheeled Tyrrell P34 used in the 1976 season. But with British GT's title sponsors being Pirelli and Sonoco, that meant using Elf and Goodyear, two sponsors that Tyrrell has used almost all throughout their life, was out. So, excluding the main sponsor Penrose Tackie, all the other sponsors are the modern equivalents to other Tyrrell sponsors. I'm not that great at making original liveries but sometimes simpler is better, right? I had a lot of fun making this 650S and I hope I did the British GT theme justice and oh how i wish we could put decals on windows.

Download link

I hope you all like my liveries and good luck to all the other competitors! :gtpflag:

Firstly, these are both fantastic liveries, really detailed and of a really high standard. But I've got to be honest and say that currently these are not eligible for entry.

The designs are too different to fit within the spirit of the guidelines.

I understand what you're saying with the BGT required sponsors, but I'd have atleast gone for the same title sponsor or the same base colours. What you've done is create two different Tyrrell-inspired liveries and not an evolution of the same 'base' livery.

As you've gone for the 80's period correct look for the F1500T then really this needs to be carried over to the McLaren, with use of the same white/blue/red base colour scheme (sue the sponsors can change accordingly).

I totally get the 70's Elf livery inspiration with the blue and yellow so the other option is that the older car should wear one of the early 80's blue designs (perhaps the Candy livery which would allow use of the logos on the new car as the company still exists).

FINAL ENTRY

Jaguar at Le Mans. The past and today.

40677166525_4444807662_z.jpg

26701600937_aa837a99e0_z.jpg

A pair of Jaguars 50 years apart with a few things common to each other.
Wearing British Racing Green, sitting on Dunlop rubber and Castrol lubricants in the engines.

26701600347_cfc28289d9_z.jpg

40677165325_c11721ecb2_z.jpg

Before sponsors arrived in motorsports, many teams used the color assigned to their country of origin. For Britain and Jaguar, it's green. This XJ13 wears white on its front and side air intakes to help race officials and the Jaguar team identify the car from their multiple entries. Also the car is somewhat road-legal with it carrying a number plate.

XJ13 Download Link.

26701599367_21bbaea1c7_z.jpg

40677164565_3caba45eca_z.jpg

Nowadays sponsorship is a important part on fielding a competitive racing team. This F-Type WEC GTE-Pro car is supported by HSBC (from Jaguar's disappointing F1 effort) and Panasonic (Jaguar's current main sponsor in Formula E), while Jaguar has entrusted Walkinshaw Performance (the successor to TWR) to run the F-Type around the world.

F-Type Download Link.

Great work. At first I thought you'd just used the standard XJ13 but on closer inspection I noticed all the little details and how you've carried those over to the F-Type, really nice work man!

Last edited:
I guess I finally made my mind up considering what I'd like to enter. 💡

There is no real evolution in the livery itself tho :lol:

Last edited:
I guess I finally made my mind up considering what I'd like to enter. 💡

There is no real evolution in the livery itself tho :lol:

So long as the logos are period correct then that's fine by me. For example the Calsonic Nissan livery is almost exactly the same today as it was in the 80's (They still use the original Calsonic logo even after the company re-branded as Calsonic Kansei after the merger which is a nice touch) but the supporting logos (tyres, oil, minor sponsors etc) have evolved quite a bit and also increased in number so you can usually tell the year of the car by that as the early cars were quite plain.

@danhighway - Not sure if you've seen my comments above yet (Timezone wise you look to be behind me), but I've edited my post to include a couple of suggestions for how you can get your entry eligible. 👍

High quality set of entries so far! Not sure I should be dragging down the overall quality :lol: May try and get them finished this weekend anyway. The modern car doesn't look as good as it did in my head - and I'd expected that to be the better of the two!

I have to say, normally (98% of the time) I'll create my own decals rather than use ones that others have uploaded, but due to time constraints I've had to use a few that other people have uploaded... there really are a lot of crap auto-trace decals out there, it takes almost as long to find good decals as it does to draw them from scratch in some cases.

There really are a lot of crap auto-trace decals out there, it takes almost as long to find good decals as it does to draw them from scratch in some cases.

That's why I always search for decals with the computer, it is far easier and faster to find the good ones. Be sure to sort by date and not by popularity*, usually the most recent ones are the best : most people won't bother to create/upload/share decals if they are already in a perfect way in the game, whereas the earliest decals can be quite popular without being of the best quality.

(collateral bonus : the most recent they are, the easier they are to find in the "collection" section !)

*and by searching by date, you know where you are. If you reach the 24/10, which take 14 pages, there is no other decal. If you sort by popularity, you have no idea where you are (1000-100 likes, 50-20, 3-4, ??).
Popularity is useful for livery research though. In the first 3 pages you usually get good/accurate/polished versions.

Last edited:
Firstly, these are both fantastic liveries, really detailed and of a really high standard. But I've got to be honest and say that currently these are not eligible for entry.

The designs are too different to fit within the spirit of the guidelines.

I understand what you're saying with the BGT required sponsors, but I'd have atleast gone for the same title sponsor or the same base colours. What you've done is create two different Tyrrell-inspired liveries and not an evolution of the same 'base' livery.

As you've gone for the 80's period correct look for the F1500T then really this needs to be carried over to the McLaren, with use of the same white/blue/red base colour scheme (sue the sponsors can change accordingly).

I totally get the 70's Elf livery inspiration with the blue and yellow so the other option is that the older car should wear one of the early 80's blue designs (perhaps the Candy livery which would allow use of the logos on the new car as the company still exists).

That's completely understandable. I'll amend my post and work on a livery that more closely relates to the F1500. Only problem with a 2018 Data General sponsored car is that they ceased operations in 1999 :irked: but I can fudge it a little right?

That's why I always search for decals with the computer, it is far easier and faster to find the good ones. Be sure to sort by date and not by popularity*, usually the most recent ones are the best : most people won't bother to create/upload/share decals if they are already in a perfect way in the game, whereas the earliest decals can be quite popular without being of the best quality.

(collateral bonus : the most recent they are, the easier they are to find in the "collection" section !)

*and by searching by date, you know where you are. If you reach the 24/10, which take 14 pages, there is no other decal. If you sort by popularity, you have no idea where you are (1000-100 likes, 50-20, 3-4, ??).
Popularity is useful for livery research though. In the first 3 pages you usually get good/accurate/polished versions.

Yeah, that's what I'm already doing - there's still a lot of rubbish though.

High quality set of entries so far! Not sure I should be dragging down the overall quality :lol: May try and get them finished this weekend anyway. The modern car doesn't look as good as it did in my head - and I'd expected that to be the better of the two!

I have to say, normally (98% of the time) I'll create my own decals rather than use ones that others have uploaded, but due to time constraints I've had to use a few that other people have uploaded... there really are a lot of crap auto-trace decals out there, it takes almost as long to find good decals as it does to draw them from scratch in some cases.

Tell me about it! I rarely use any decals from Discover as half the time they're auto traced or just robbed off various 3rd party logo sites online (of which most of the stuff is hand-made and not accurate anyway!)

That's completely understandable. I'll amend my post and work on a livery that more closely relates to the F1500. Only problem with a 2018 Data General sponsored car is that they ceased operations in 1999 :irked: but I can fudge it a little right?

The way I see it, you have a couple of options:

1) As @Nuschel01 says, make up a modern logo for Data General. If it helps, a quick Google suggests that they were suceeded by EMC which is now part of Dell as Dell EMC (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_EMC) perhaps use them as the title sponsor?

2) Use the same colour scheme and blocks of colour but replace with different sponsors (A bit like McLaren still running chrome, red and black after West/Vodaphone/Santander left).

But this is very small in the car, and not always look bad, depends by the pics that you find for tracing
They'll be small, that's true. But if you can have a better quality then you'd want it :D
6134541513633302024_1.png

5990429630082876432_1.png

You seem awful picky for someone who can't make them.
I can auto-trace stuff, there is nothing really hard with that... Also I seem to not be the only one who likes to have decals of good quality.

FINAL ENTRY

But first, the old. This is my take on the 1986 Data General Team Tyrrell 015. Not a popular livery by any stretch of the imagination, but it's the team's one livery that I think made the transition from real car to the Gran Turismo F1500T-A the best. This livery is an amalgamation of sorts of all the car over the 1986 season as almost no two cars I found were alike, but the main inspiration for the car was the Monaco Gran Prix livery.

Download link

And now, the new. This is an attempt to make a livery for the 650S if Tyrrell decided to enter the 2018 British GT season with the livery based on their 1986 car. With British GT's required sponsors being Pirelli, Sonoco, and Driven Racing Oil, that meant using Elf and Goodyear, two sponsors that Tyrrell has used almost all throughout their existence, was out. So with that all the other sponsors are the modern equivalents to other sponsors Tyrrell cars had over the years instead, or what would be a modern equivalent in Data General's case since they don't exist anymore. I hope I did the British GT theme justice as I had a lot of fun making this livery and oh how i wish we could place decals on windows already.

Download Link

And thank you @BLiTZ for setting me straight on the theme.​

I have updated my entry. Again thank you @BLiTZ for slapping some sense into me. Unfortunately I actidently saved over my old 650S Tyrrell livery in the process of updating it, but I like the new version better anyway. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back