The GT Sport Livery Editor Competition 16 - CLOSED

• Thread starter Cytoria
  • 194 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
this is so on point

FINAL ENTRY

When I think 80s racing I think about countless hours battling my younger brother and next door neighbor on the craziest tracks we could create. Long before GT we had Scalextric. This is my little tribute to king of the slots.

View media item 44446View media item 44445
How it always felt when we were playingView media item 44444

Livery here for anyone who wants to use it

Cheers mate, your's is great too, loved me some Scalextric back in the day!!

*EDIT* I changed the spoiler image on my entry

Last edited:
FINAL ENTRY
Mazda Mobil1 RX-7
Loosely based on the Mazda RX-7 GTO (the base design of its livery really stood out to me). Since i wanted a more convincing style , a design that you could see in any 80's racing event , regardless of the car , i went subtle with the sponsorships as well.​

FINAL ENTRY
Mazda Mobil1 RX-7
Loosely based on the Mazda RX-7 GTO (the base design of its livery really stood out to me). Since i wanted a more convincing style , a design that you could see in any 80's racing event , regardless of the car , i went subtle with the sponsorships as well.​
I was also inspired by the IMSA RX-7's stripes, but I went with a Toyota color scheme, and put it on a Porsche.

deleted entry

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 60
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
@JKcreativeworks reminding how old I am. I got to liking Reebok shoes in the 80's and haven't wore another brand since. Reebok Classics have gotten so hard to find, I have to order them direct from Reebok.

Nice job JK.

FINAL ENTRY
Mazda Mobil1 RX-7
The only one that actually looks like a 80s livery to me so far.

To me 80's style is about the Members Only Jacket,big hair,OP shirts,parachute pants, and the Ol Big Mac Attack. The big yellow Walkman,with Guns n' Roses playing over the ear phones, skateboarding down the sidewalk with a glass Pepsi bottle in my hand. G.I. Joe and Transformers after school, MTV on the weekends.

My room had a Lamborghini Countach poster on one wall,Back to the future on the other. and the Big Swatch wall clock on the other. Don't lie,you had a Maxi Swatch didn't you?

Every bit of this FINAL ENTRY is made up of decals using the basic shape tool, except for the "Swatch" logo. I feel that if this car were racing in the 80's it's design is strong enough with the brand that it doesn't even need the brand logo on it. I almost posted it without the brand logo on it for a few days to see how many people thought "Synchronize Swatches". This specific Swatch had a different design on each watch band, so the car has an asymmetrical design to it.

View attachment 773584 View attachment 773585

I still have a Maxi Swatch hanging on my wall. Still works! Love it, I don't think I'll ever take it off from there.

FINAL ENTRY

Being a teenager for most of the 80's, and dispite my attempts to wipe out my memory, I remember a few things. The base of this design stems from a window tint job I did, where I hand cut out 2" squares of tint, and applied each one in a checker board pattern for about three rows, them threw some in randomly, like the were falling off the window.
For the colors, no denying the popularity of hot pinks, and powder blues. If you've ever seen a hot rod built during that era, it's more than likely going to be one of those two colors.
The 80's were also a time of valley girls, with there own dialogue, they can not be over looked, hence the "To the Max" racing. Which, now that I think about it, everything was to the max back then. The 80's were a time for excess, but anyway, that's enough of a stroll down memory lane, here's the livery.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people are misreading the brief. You're not making a dayglo, huge logos, Miami Vice-style livery here. It's supposed to be a livery that looks as if it was around in the 80's. Not one that gives you a sugar coated, rose tinted view of the 80's.

I think a lot of people are misreading the brief. You're not making a dayglo, huge logos, Miami Vice-style livery here. It's supposed to be a livery that looks as if it was around in the 80's. Not one that gives you a sugar coated, rose tinted view of the 80's.

So in that case does mine not conform? The yellow Scooby? Many thanks

So in that case does mine not conform? The yellow Scooby? Many thanks
Only @D-Max can say for sure, but I'd say yours was fine.

80's liveries tended to be quite simple with a basic colour, a few stripes of another colour, and some logos. They weren't multi-coloured with huge logos.

I think it's up to interpretation, and mine follows the rules. Me and a bunch of buddies ran a race car at a local dirt track in the 80's. While I don't remember the exact paint job, it was mostly hot pink/magenta, and blue, and was detailed with an airbrush. The livery was influenced by the time we were living, as is my entry, so to says it's wrong, is being close minded, in my opinion.

Ultamitely it is @D-Max 's decision.

Regardless, I enjoyed putting it together.

I have been on the fence with some, I'll be honest. But from what I have asked, they all conform to the rules I've laid down.

Simple lines and no complicated shapes. Solid colours. Classic number boards.

A couple have played around with the eyes a little in terms of colour, I agree, but we did have brave base colours, yellow was actually quite common.
I was born in 90' but my Family have raced for a very long time and from looking back at old pictures etc, I wouldn't feel any of these are really out of place.

I like MMX's explanation behind his livery. The livery screams 80's, but not 80's generic race car I agree but these sorts of designs were around albeit few and far between. I don't want this to split the opinion of what the competition should be.

The Yellow Impreza, I'd instantly recognize that from being 80's.

The Swatch car has my senses going mad and is a little out of the ordinary but I feel compelled to allow it.

If I do have a feeling a car shouldn't be, then I will voice it. I was close to commenting on the NSX but I thought, put that livery on something more square and it's a perfect representation.

As far as I know, there where a lot of 'busy' liveries with big sponsors on the doors, hoods and roofs etc etc. Although special effects like gradients and large cut-off patterns wheren't likely indeed.

Like MMX said, it's how you interpretate the rules.
You can't be fully serious in this competition with an 80's livery with cars newer than 2000 till today. How good the liveries are being made, that's never representing reality for the full 100%. You've to be flexible with judging the liveries.

https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/F1F-1991-Jordan_191-Plain.jpg
So in my opinion, like this livery above, it's possible to make something realistic, it's still a fictional car.. So how well are you judging the creativity from the users here, when replica's are forbidden? From my point of view, we you can go four ways, where the first is already a dropout.. ;

- Full replica, what is forbidden for this competition

- free creation of a car from a certain period (like the 80's now), companies like DELL, Google and Facebook are allowed, with the styling from the 80's.

- Realistic interpratation without modern companies, no modern techniques like matte paint, gradients or reflecting paints like pearl and metallic.

- Fun interpratation with an ode to the 80's. Still gradients and other special effects are not very likely to be seen, but not forbidden. You could make something that's representing that specific era.

I guess one of the challenges, and this is not a criticism of the theme, is that old style liveries on new cars can sometimes take away from the 'classic' look of a design.

However, I like this theme because it challenges people to use their imagination rather than simply trotting out replica designs.

I guess one of the challenges, and this is not a criticism of the theme, is that old style liveries on new cars can sometimes take away from the 'classic' look of a design.

However, I like this theme because it challenges people to use their imagination rather than simply trotting out replica designs.
It is somewhat an idea to yes, use some imagination but also, I love 80's designs and always been curious how people bring the 80;s to the present day. In my opinion, the simplicity of the 80's designs is the best era. It's when things started to really change!

FINAL ENTRY
Space Invaders M3 GT3

Chose space invaders as while I never got to play the game when I was growing up, the number of games I played that stole its aesthetic was immense. I tried to stay true to the simple design with only the logo being complicated. Hope it is ok.

Sadly I was too slow to do a Commodore one, so will have to leave that half formed idea for another day (@McDotter is better than my idea anyway) :)

FINAL ENTRY
Space Invaders M3 GT3

Chose space invaders as while I never got to play the game when I was growing up, the number of games I played that stole its aesthetic was immense. I tried to stay true to the simple design with only the logo being complicated. Hope it is ok.

Sadly I was too slow to do a Commodore one, so will have to leave that half formed idea for another day (@McDotter is better than my idea anyway) :)
do your commodore and see how it goes! no harm in having 2 with the same sponsor

FINAL ENTRY

I went for a simple livery using only 2 colors + the base color of the car (white, which was one the most common base colors for race cars back in the 80s), basic stripes and some retro logos of popular sponsors / brands. Oh, and the Tissot in bold and extra bold is on purpose. Something it wasn't that rare and fortunately today we don't see. ^^

Download

____

@JKcreativeworks is your livery inspired by any real livery from the 80s? It seems too good (and complex) for that period imo. It looks great, as anything coming from you, but too modern imho.

Cheers! Some very nice liveries here.

FINAL ENTRY

For my car I picked a Corvette C7, my livery is a combination of a 80s pattern (like I had as a kid) with a white base and a big company back in the day KODAK Hopefully you like it, it took me all 300 body decals and then sum.

PS: sorry for the pictures they got a bit red somehow(was my first time).
Hope everybody likes it and my it remind them of the 80s, decade with the best music!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back