The GT Sport Livery Editor Competition 29 (Games) - CLOSED

• Thread starter Cytoria
  • 103 comments
First post ever online:
I'm new here! Hell, I'm new to this whole forum thing, and this is gonna be my first true challenge.
Can't wait to join you all, I'll be working from when I'm not doing homework.

Nice UNO and STEEP liveries!

Hint for my game:
-This game is not released yet!
-This game's developer is a multi-award winner.
-This game has already won awards before release!
-There is no announced release date, but there is a limited-access Beta.

Hints for my workflow:
-An unreleased game has unreleased art. I'll be working off of recent concepts, and I'm drawing multiple elements in Procreate myself.
-This livery will have a whole lot of custom decals
-This paintwork's elements are ripped off the developer's page- I re-drew them myself!
-I'm a low-budget, iPad only user. No Vector programs! (Although I'm thinking about Affinity Designer for iPad)

ZoE 2 livery I couldn’t make in the Itasha theme.

Very excited to see this.
I hope to see orange big flakes used with negative space decals!!! :D I'm a big ZoE fan (a portion of my collection), so I'm excited to see what you go with :D

I don't think I'm ever going to be able to do my MGS2 livery, the decal work required is insane by anyones standards.

EDIT: Ok I'm going to lock in MGS2 as my livery! I've got another idea I'm going to work on!
The cut off date is a going to be a bit tight but with some help from the amazing decal chaps on here I should be able to throw something together

Last edited:
Anyone with good advices to turn high detailed images into suitable SVG images/parts ?! :rolleyes:

I don’t have Photoshop, Illustrator or really anything.
But, I can state my all-iPad technique, and while it probably won’t help you, it might give you some Ideas.

I take images from the internet, and I’ll re-draw them in Procreate- or for most liveries I’ll do my own original art.

Anyhoo, I’ll use the free Adobe Capture app- it can turn your images into SVGs on mobile. There is, however, one downside:

As accurate as it is, it can only produce all-black vector images.

Thus, I’ll do a different vector for a different colour that I’ll just give it in-game. For larger creations- I’ll separate the image I want to vectorize by colour or visual element.

As for characters on the side of my cars, I’ll draw the outline, upload it to my drive via Capture , and like all decals, if necessary, run it through SVGOMG. I’ll just then fill it with coloured default shapes in the livery editor.

My technique is a little time consuming, and doesn’t produce quality work. But- I sure as heck don’t pay anything, and I don’t have to screw with naughty Inkscape for hours.

Alright, I’ve got a slight problem @Cytoria

You have to post two main pictures of your entry using the mandatory locations and settings as shown below

I have looked at both of these locations, and they’re both pretty shadowed. My car’s livery is a dark flakes at base, and I have some material effects going- this makes it really hard to see my work, even with the mandatory photo edits, as these locations lack direct light- something I need to show off the paintwork.

The White Sands locations are good for me as long as there’s sunlight casting on the car. Other than that, the lack of contrast is what I’m aiming to defeat.

FINAL ENTRY

small2.png

small1.png

small3.png

FINAL ENTRY

(If the background isn't white enough I can change it, it just won't be today.)

This livery marks my return to the LEC after a couple of months without participation.

The livery is based on the SEGA puzzle game series Puyo Pop. It's similar to Tetris and features a bright cast of characters in each game's story mode. This character in particular is Draco, a supporting character who likes to frequently challenge the protagonist Arle Najda. Her new design features behind the side air intakes, while her old sprite is cheekily tucked into the hood's giant air duct. The game's logos are the blue bubbly text decals found around the car, and the red angry puyo can be found on the sides and rear as well.

The livery started out as a Barwell Motorsports replica but I scrapped the idea and went with this theme after seeing the amazing decals on GT Sport's discover tab. I thought it would be a good entry into this week because I literally just made this a week ago and the theme so happened to align.

I threw in a couple Japanese sponsors and made sure I got those GT300 numberplates on there just for the full Nippon effect. The aim of this livery from the start was realism and believability, after all.

...and let me tell you how much of a pain filling in the area around the intake behind the windows was!

EDIT: (If you're interested in seeing larger images, learning more about the livery or possibly downloading it for yourself, I've linked the post in my livery dump thread here:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...oyota-wec-am-2022.369305/page-3#post-12708056 )

Last edited:
There's no way I'll be able to get my first idea done, just too much work. It's one I wanted to do before, but realistically it'll take me weeks to get the illustrations done, and I'm reasonably sure it won't be worth it! The idea was to use the box art illustrations from a couple of C64 games, Creatures, and Creatures 2...

commodore-c64-creatures.jpg

58557-creatures-2-torture-trouble-commodore-64-front-cover.jpg

It's a drawing style that I spent hours at school trying to mimic.... normally in my English or Maths note books when I should have been paying attention to the teacher...

So.. I think I'm gonna go for a more traditional idea... a property trading board game perhaps.

First off, the settings for the photos are playing havoc with this one for me. Looks all dead and flat, and a bit crap. I might just redo this one.

Right excuses out the way...

This is a tribute to the Elite series of games coded by David Braben & Ian Bell which kicked off in 1984 with one of the worlds first wire-frame with hidden line removal, 3D open world games. A trade/piracy/bounty hunter/military/taxi service epic space sim.

full

The version that evaporated so much of my time was Frontier Elite 2 on the old Amiga.

full

I had read in Amiga Format that if you got to the rank of Elite (Which was no easy feat) & became prince or emperor of the Imperial systems & a few other caveats, you were approached by a mysterious figure wanting you to go to the edge of the milky way and find a lost alien Thargoid ship.

Complete bollocks! Was a total hoax. In the days before the internet such nefarious little scallywags could get away with such things. May their bottom parts be subject to regular bouts of massive haemorrhoid flare ups...At least once a week.

Man, I started that game 3 different time because I thought I had messed up. What a plonker.

Well I loved this game, could get lost for days in my mind which was just as well, because the graphics were mince.

One of the iconic ships from the series is of course the Cobra MKIII.

full

Always liked this wee wedge of cheddar shaped mother.

full

So when I decided to do an Elite tribute, the games artwork didn't inspire but the Cobra MKIII did.
Had to go for a Lamborghini for the wedge shape. Used a lot of dirt and dust effects to make it look like it's out there earning a crust in a dangerous hostile environment & all that cobblers. Maybe too much, don't know yet, might change it.

Used Frontier Elite 2 as the inspiration. Gametek & Konami (Publishers) for the main sponsors, Commodore (Amiga is almighty) & Atari (ST, BOOOO! Get Off!) as smaller sponsors.

Sid

Last edited:
Are fictional companies that a heavily featured in a video game series allowed as the main sponsor of the livery?

Alright, I’ve got a slight problem @Cytoria

I have looked at both of these locations, and they’re both pretty shadowed. My car’s livery is a dark flakes at base, and I have some material effects going- this makes it really hard to see my work, even with the mandatory photo edits, as these locations lack direct light- something I need to show off the paintwork.

The White Sands locations are good for me as long as there’s sunlight casting on the car. Other than that, the lack of contrast is what I’m aiming to defeat.

We are aware that the neutral tone of the mandatory locations are not the best for special colours. White Sands can display them better than Shiretoko, though.

BUT, as for the previous round, it seems that this competition will see mostly hard-worked and detailed liveries. I regretted it for the Music theme, but exceptionally I will allow 3 bonus pictures that will make their way to the poll. It worked for the Bonus LEC, it’s just harder for the poll but I can handle it as long as we stay under 40 entries :D.

So @CorvairGuy69 , @McDotter , @teensonacid , @MMX , @Baliwa , @Raphaele , @MrWaflz55 and @polo510 , feel free to complete your post with your best pictures!

:cheers:

I’ll update the OP too.

Are fictional companies that a heavily featured in a video game series allowed as the main sponsor of the livery?
I would have to say no to that. Games or characters only.

I suck with these and it helps to make your own decals, but I'd love to see something from Dark Souls, DOOM, or Batman: Arkham show up :) Maybe Apex Legends?

MMX
Added a couple more pics to my spoiler tab. Not sure they actually help my cause, though. :lol:
For those who know the game, they do carry a lot of signification!

In this competition, it will be hard to separate feelings and objectivity. @Rizla is a nice example : I don’t know the game at all, but I still love the livery. The details are nice, the execution is fine, the colors with the weathered effect are spot on.

Are entries due tomorrow night or Saturday?

Because (Obviously) I'm out of school Saturday and that gives me the time I need to get these pictures in and clean up a bit of rough concepts.

Are entries due tomorrow night or Saturday?

Because (Obviously) I'm out of school Saturday and that gives me the time I need to get these pictures in and clean up a bit of rough concepts.
The deadline is on Wednesday (May 1st), at midnight. You have the whole week-end and the Workers’ Day to finish your livery ;).

FINAL ENTRY

-Dreams 2019 Evo Final Edi.-
795745-e387cadf14f81e2670d9af5592692c17.jpg
795746-0f7b8fb67d7ee7a1095f5b960ff5bdce.jpg

So, here's my first paintwork for my first competition, first time everything!

This here is a Gr.4 Mistubishi Lancer, a reliable, decent car to drive around. But it makes a pretty good basic canvas. It's all decked out in a deep violet- in an unrecognizable game I can guarantee you haven't seen before.

What, you say? No, this is no fake! This is simply a game that hasn't been fully released yet. Dreams, (Yes, that's its name) is a game where you make games. Build a platformer? Check. Paint some art? Yep. Sculpture?! Even so! This 'game' has got every kind of imaginable thing in it, bringing it's name to sake. Media Molecue, the famed designers of LittleBigPlanet and Tearaway invite you to play a game about making games. You can screw around in someone else's creativity or try your own- all for one upfront price. Hell, you can make a character from scratch and even make your own music. The limits are limitless... because there are none!

The limited-base BETA of Dreams was released recently, and it's limited number of players have already created thousands of things. Youndon't need VR, or any special controller- The Dualshock 4 is everything you need.

Now on to the creation of this turbulent design.
Since this game isn't released, there's no 'box art' or 'JP, US, NSTC/PAL, EU covers.' And although the game has a small story for you to play through, it's more about you making stuff.

I ventured to the best reference there is, http://dreams.mediamolecule.com/ the official website for the game.
Now, there is another reference website, but they literally just updated it yesterday- and it looks pretty different.
(This also makes a problem with the livery. It used to say "Release Date: The Future" but now says "April 2019".)

Going to this website, you will see the whole promotional part for the game- but that's not what I'm asking you to look for. Instead, look at the background. Do you see them? Now look back at my car. Yes, I spent hours tracing those little figures in the background to make into decals, now on the car. Some shapes on the car may not appear on the website. But they do, I assure you. In the embedded video, I copied some funny shapes too.

Hell, I'm out of my mind. Text as well comes from that website.

If you look closely, in the bonus photographs, I've put the light an angle so you can see my little material effects. I've put some digital brush strokes on the car with the same colour values, but as a gloss decal. The contrast between the Candy paint and these glossy decals makes for a little cool detail.

795747-ec7dcabb6652cb7a51940c23314cffd2.jpg

And lastly, yes I know the Mandatory Pictures are wrong. I went to "White Sands" and scrolled all-the-way to scene nine, and did all the necessary tweaks stated in the first message. I don't know, I did something wrong. I was tired last night, so I'll update them this weekend and figure it out, with you guys' help If need be.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back