• 379 comments

VBR

Meme Dissident in Exile...
Premium
England
Yorkshire
ScapeGoat4U
WhippingBoy
Credit where credit's due, as the saying goes, & to their credit PD have done some truly amazing things with GT6 (despite it's obvious flaws as discussed elsewhere on this forum). Yes we all know that GT is as incredible as it is irritating, as awesome as it is awful, & as brilliant as it is bad etc. However, for this thread let's just focus on the incredible, awesome, & brilliant, OK!

PS: You might want to read Scaff's warning before posting in this thread:
One warning given and numerous posts deleted.

Let me be clear members who believe it is acceptable to post flame-bait are mistaken, anyone continuing to do so may well find out that membership of GT Planet is not a right.

no-whining-print-lg.jpg

Last edited:
Last night I finally got why they added accurate stars. I was driving my KTM X-Bow Street on The Ring 24 Hour at 23:50 with a clear sky, & it was a breath taking experience. The sheer feeling of movement I experienced when steering & turning was incredible. I started to feel that half the track was missing before.

Everyone needs to take a Free Run with cockpit view & all HUD off in the X-Bow at 23:50 On The Ring 24 Hour to experience this first hand!

:D

It's much easier for people to moan and cry than to praise so I'm curious how popular this thread will get

I guess you're right so far, as it looks like most folk don't even have the ability to say something positive. Come on people, surely there are things you like in GT6, otherwise why are you still playing it & coming on GT Planet!

EDIT: Post no longer applicable, situation taken care of by Mod. :cheers:

Last edited:
Even though the 'other game' is much more consistent, more refined and overal a much better game, and GT6 is all over the place, I'm still not converted by a long shot.

I guess that says enough.

Then again, I'm not so difficult when it comes to enjoying games. Hell, I bought Aliens: Colonial Marines yesterday and so far am enjoying the heck out of it, even though everybody says it's the gaming equivalent of armageddon.

VBR
I guess you're right so far, as it looks like most folk don't even have the ability to say something positive. Come on people, surely there are things you like in GT6, otherwise why are you still playing it & coming on GT Planet!
Makes me wonder myself. Really, it does.

Ok, I'll try.

I really like the fact that timechange has been included on so many tracks. It certainly adds to the experience.

I love the new tracks added as well, great selections.

The fact that they actually ditched the UCD is a big plus for me. It takes away some of the randomness of when I can buy that special car that I always wanted to drive.

I also like the big improvements in the GT Auto section.
Preview of paint color, larger selection of wheels in different sizes.

Biggest improvement for me is the new physics model.
The fact that there is so much suspension travel makes the game more realistic and opens up a whole new dimension when it comes to suspension tuning.

There are also some truly exciting new cars added.

If you ignore the negative aspects for a second, you can really see that GT6 has improved a lot over GT5.

I do applaud the thought behind the thread, but to be honest for me there has not been the awesome, brilliant, incredible etc. It is a good game, but only if you define good as more positives than negatives. To me though, the negatives detract from any sheen of excellence. I'll list a couple of those purely to illustrate my point rather than start down a negative tangent.

- A.I. behaviour, how can a car maintain a peak cornering speed and still maintain that speed whilst moving laterally to slam into you at full speed; also deliberately wrecking you from behind at full speed. For me both characteristics impact greatly on my enjoyability of the game.
- Rubber banding, how am I going to improve my game when I have opponents who come back to me rather than me having to evaluate and adjust my driving to catch them. The integrity of the game is seriously lacking here.

For me these points are killers and detract greatly from any possibility of a level of excellence. Yes, I am still playing the game, but the features yet to come will have to be of the highest level for me to move beyond GT6. The Course Maker and associated track creator app are going to be game breakers as far as I am concerned. I do love the night visuals but I play to race rather than cruise or take photos so it is difficult to enjoy them when you have opposition hellbent on destroying you. If I want to enjoy a night drive I'll get in my car and drive an hour or so out of Brisbane and really experience a star covered sky on a pitch black night not affected by light pollution. And please don't think this is a shot at your enjoyment of this aspect of the game.

I love the new tracks, particularly Mt. Panorama and Ascari. I've enjoyed racing quite a few of the new cars. Bt as I said the negatives are such that the enjoyability of additions to the game is diluted significantly to a level of not much more than an average game overall.

Biggest improvement for me is the new physics model.
The fact that there is so much suspension travel makes the game more realistic and opens up a whole new dimension when it comes to suspension tuning.

Same here, the new physics are definitely a step forward. I'm really enjoying just going for a drive in GT6, much more so than in any other GT game. I spend most of my time just driving for pleasure, or doing hot laps.

Loving Brands Hatch! :drool: They've done an awesome job at recreating that track. 👍

EDIT: Regarding the physics, I was referring to the 1.03 version. After the 1.04 update they have been "altered" & don't feel exactly the same.

Last edited:
I adore the menu music, even during Christmas. The pre-race music at I-A events and the 2 very special pre and post race themes at the World Championship finale thing were very pleasant surprises for one who invested in the PS3 prequels.

I really like Goodwood, the Moon, and the coffee breaks too. Don't mind the license tests TBH.

Seasonal events and the increased payouts are alright as well.

This is also still one of few games where one can simulate a non-competitive, time progressing, weather changing, random 'not-necessarily-a-sports-car' track day at the full Nurburgring too.

VBR
Credit where credit's due, as the saying goes, & to their credit PD have done some truly amazing things with GT6 (despite it's obvious flaws as discussed elsewhere on this forum). Yes we all know that GT is as incredible as it is irritating, as awesome as it is awful, & as brilliant as it is bad etc. However, for this thread let's just focus on the incredible, awesome, & brilliant, OK!

Now I like this thread here! For me GT6 is addictive as any GT has ever been, if not more. :gtplanet:

The streets of Willow Springs track is done close to perfect. I drove there at a track day in a RX7 to test before a LeMons race.

I can tell you they got the feel right. The bumps, the loose areas, the camber.... even the look of the environment..

Very impressed.

I never drove on Big Willow, but based on their accuracy of the streets, I am sure it's done well.

In no particular order:
  • all the new tracks
  • improved physics
  • improved menu
  • birds, jet trails, etc.
  • new cars
  • except for a very few songs, I like the music.
  • removable weight and engine improvements
  • additional upgrade features (yes, even flat floors)
  • painting enhancements including the preview. Nice work and thank you... no more wasting chips
  • EDIT: I forgot to add the new wheel choices. I like the 1 up version, at least visually (not sure if the bug some have reported was fixed or not and haven't tested it much yet)

Last edited:
@xiando - The menus are much better, lightning fast too. Makes navigating a pleasure rather than a chore. I really like the look of them too, very clean & modern. 👍

I've mentioned this on the forum loads of times before, but I like how they got the 'feel' of the older games back. GT4, despite the huge amount of content and detail (which still impresses on a game that's coming up to 10 years old soon), felt empty and lifeless to me; it was just 'do this race, here's a car, go do another race' and so on. I know that's the point of the games anyway, but it just felt too 'clinical' if that makes sense.

GT5, meanwhile, felt as though Sony had enough of PD going over release date expectations, and forced them to get it on store shelves, meaning they had to rush a bunch of stuff which left the menus in a convoluted mess and made the overall impression of the game a bit jolted - especially given the past games and the hype behind it.

GT6 feels like GT2 and 3 which has evolved into the modern times, which is good; it means you can play it really competitively, or just have fun with it, testing out cars and stuff, and you won't be penalised for your play style. It doesn't sound like a huge deal, but I think that makes a huge difference in my book.

Other good parts are the removal of the UCD (one feature I didn't like in older GT games; it worked well in GT1 and 2, since there weren't as many cars, but after that it just seemed stupid), more niche models added, like the Gordini Renault, inclusion of some pretty sweet new tracks, and fun side events, like Goodwood. Oh, and updates with free cars! :P

I must say that the lighting in GT6 is ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL! Last night me & a mate were mucking about with the time settings on the long Nurburgring tracks, setting up sunrises & sunsets etc, & OH MY GOODNESS IT LOOKED AWESOME! :drool: Best to experience it in the KTM X-Bow in car, as you see the sun glinting off the body work & you get glare in the mirrors, plus you see all the sky. My mate was getting really freaked out as it looked so real, he's never seen day to night transitions in a sim before. The sheer scale of contrast is EPIC! The clouds in the sky went from white, to peach, to pink, & the sun goes from yellow, to orange, to red, as it goes down. Everything just looked so tasty. :D Then we set up some overcast conditions & savored the excellent mist/fog effects. WOW!

I think that experience right there was worth the £39.85 I paid for the game. :)

EDIT: In the above post I was referring to the 1.03 lighting effects. After the 1.04 update they have been "altered", & are no longer exactly the same.

Last edited:
I took the VW Beetle (1966) to Chamonix. I was purely interested in taking pictures of it. Just two laps would do...

So, I spent 2h30 driving this car on snow. I can't even describe the joy and fun that I experienced.
Yeah, I always love discovering certain vehicles on certain tracks - I spent far too long last night (hours after I should have headed for bed) nipping around Autumn ring in the new NSX concept - unbelievble 👍 The Schwimmwagen on snow and dirt is great too...must be a VW thing ;)

VBR
I must say that the lighting in GT6 is ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL! Last night me & a mate were mucking about with the time settings on the long Nurburgring tracks, setting up sunrises & sunsets etc, & OH MY GOODNESS IT LOOKED AWESOME! :drool: Best to experience it in the KTM X-Bow in car, as you see the sun glinting off the body work & you get glare in the mirrors, plus you see all the sky. My mate was getting really freaked out as it looked so real, he's never seen day to night transitions in a sim before. The sheer scale of contrast is EPIC! The clouds in the sky went from white, to peach, to pink, & the sun goes from yellow, to orange, to red, as it goes down. Everything just looked so tasty. :D Then we set up some overcast conditions & savored the excellent mist/fog effects. WOW!

I think that experience right there was worth the £39.85 I paid for the game. :)
I fully agree and wonder how some can fail to be moved by what they see. I love exploring the game, trying tracks at various times and weather conditions and seeing what happens. Perhaps a few people don't really go exploring that much, which is a shame - those Nürburgring sunsets are stupendous, as are the stars.

Try Brands Hatch, dawn with full rain - it was incredibly immersive and atmospheric.

As so many have said already in this thread, lots of basic improvements that combined make the whole the most pleasurable to date. Sure, some things could be improved or other approaches attempted...maybe - but I won't let that stop me from enjoying what I have now.

Yeah, I always love discovering certain vehicles on certain tracks - I spent far too long last night (hours after I should have headed for bed) nipping around Autumn ring in the new NSX concept - unbelievble 👍 The Schwimmwagen on snow and dirt is great too...must be a VW thing ;)

Alpine A110 and VW 1200 on snow are the best two things that I've done in GT, since my first 24 hours race.

I'll try the Sambabus now! :cheers:

I'm enjoying doing hot laps too in any car I want and on any track...and like someone posted on another thread I turn up my surround sound and audio is not so bad...haven't played online yet tho been busy having fun going solo

I'm definitely more on the 'hater' side lol but i'll give it a shot. I like the matterhorn and the different variations of it you can drive. Goodwood and the challenges were a nice addition. Some of the new cars/views they added are pretty cool; specifically the xbow's, quattro's and the rocket. I like the menu/dealership system better as well overall.

OK, I take back what said about the night driving and how apparently a recent rendered update made the graphics and detail somewhat lackluster.

Just did a couple runs on Matterhorn and Spa (again) during sunrise, and well, 'tis still pretty amazing stuff. Too bad I have to keep my eyes on the road.

...Just did a couple runs on Matterhorn and Spa (again) during sunrise, and well, 'tis still pretty amazing stuff. Too bad I have to keep my eyes on the road.
I've had to re-start a couple of races because of that...tight corner - ahh, pretty sunset...crunch...

I swear that the AI suffer from the same problem ;)

OK, I take back what said about the night driving and how apparently a recent rendered update made the graphics and detail somewhat lackluster.

Just did a couple runs on Matterhorn and Spa (again) during sunrise, and well, 'tis still pretty amazing stuff. Too bad I have to keep my eyes on the road.

Not tried time settings on The Matterhorn, will have to do that soon.

I've had to re-start a couple of races because of that...tight corner - ahh, pretty sunset...crunch...

Me too! :lol:

I enjoy that GT has become more of a history book and training tool rather than a game.

This.

I also have to add that the Goodwood festival of speed was a great addition, and the fact that you actually recieved an in-game letter everytime you were welcome to test new cars at Goodwood.

One more thing, the photomode is very well made. You can take great photos as long it's a premium car you're photographing. Those are very detailed.

-Sonny

Back