The GTP Unofficial 2020 US Elections Thread

GTPlanet Exit Poll - Which Presidential Ticket Did You Vote For?

• Trump/Pence

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • Biden/Harris

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Jorgensen/Cohen

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Hawkins/Walker

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • La Riva/Freeman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • De La Fuente/Richardson

• Blankenship/Mohr

• Carroll/Patel

• Simmons/Roze

• Charles/Wallace

• Other

Votes: 15 25.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I feel like realistically all Trump has to do is keep this tied up for another 5 or 10 years and it doesn't matter what the verdict is. He'll be dead or so old and senile that the result will be largely moot. I put the chances of him ever facing any sort of real consequences for this at somewhere below **** all.
There isn't a whole lot more tying up of these materials that can happen because if he keeps fighting this, which he can reasonably be expected to do, it's headed to the Supreme Court next where they can either grant or deny executive privilege or delay a ruling themselves eitherprocedurally or just as an outright delay, the latter of which has the potential to harm the Court.

In the short term, there's basically no chance the committee's investigation is resolved before the mid-terms, so Republicans are getting something they've wanted from the outset. Something big happening to Trump himself was never a realistic goal, but findings do still have the potential to be damning and those around him aren't similarly immune.

The PowerPoint presentation, which spanned 38 pages and was titled “Election fraud, Foreign Interference & Options for 6 JAN,” was part of an email sent on Jan. 5, the day before the attack on the Capitol. The email pertained to a briefing that was to be provided “on the hill.” Hugo Lowell of The Guardian tweeted slides from the presentation on Thursday detailing a conspiracy theory-laden plan for Vice President Pence to install Republican electors in states “where fraud occurred,” and for Trump to declare a national emergency and for all electronic voting to be rendered invalid, citing foreign “control” of electronic voting systems.

There isn't a whole lot more tying up of these materials that can happen because if he keeps fighting this, which he can reasonably be expected to do, it's headed to the Supreme Court next where they can either grant or deny executive privilege or delay a ruling themselves eitherprocedurally or just as an outright delay, the latter of which has the potential to harm the Court.

In the short term, there's basically no chance the committee's investigation is resolved before the mid-terms, so Republicans are getting something they've wanted from the outset. Something big happening to Trump himself was never a realistic goal, but findings do still have the potential to be damning and those around him aren't similarly immune.
What this MIGHT do though, is somehow prevent Trump from running in 2024. The problem is that he already set the stage for someone more malicious and competent to try and enact more radical strategies.

What this MIGHT do though, is somehow prevent Trump from running in 2024. The problem is that he already set the stage for someone more malicious and competent to try and enact more radical strategies.
I don't expect any legal barriers to prevent a 2024 run, but I suppose particularly damning findings...might...preclude an attempt. That doesn't seem very Trumpy. Of course in forestalling investigation at every single step of the way, Republicans have laid the groundwork for "witch hunt" claims that could embolden him to run regardless of findings.

One nice thing about the Trump GOP's particular brand of populism is that competence doesn't seem all that appealing. It's firebrands all the way down and the competent ones don't have the charisma. More likely is those behind the scenes won't be there solely by virtue of their having given Trump money, rather because they can actually get the job done...and that's a concern because of what they've decided to do, which is burn everything down.

Fox News hosts begged Mark Meadows to get Trump to call off the insurrection the same day as they went on air blaming Antifa and BLM for the attack.
AP News
Rep. Liz Cheney, the committee’s vice chair, detailed on Monday a series of text messages Meadows received on Jan. 6 from a slew of people, including Fox News anchors and Donald Trump Jr. In the texts, allies and those in Trump’s inner circle attempted to reach Trump through his chief of staff, imploring him to take action against the violence that was taking place outside and inside the Capitol.

“He’s got to condemn this ... Asap,” Trump Jr. wrote. “The Capitol Police tweet is not enough.”

Meadows responded, saying, “I’m pushing it hard. I agree.”

“Hey Mark, the president needs to tell people in the Capitol to go home ... this is hurting all of us ... he is destroying his legacy,” Fox News host Laura Ingraham texted Meadows.

“Please get him on tv. Destroying everything you have accomplished,” Brian Kilmeade wrote.

As part of its list of questions for Meadows, the panel says it wants to know more about whether Trump was engaged in discussions regarding the response of the National Guard, which was delayed for hours as the violence escalated and the rioters beat police guarding the Capitol building.

The documents provided by Meadows include an email he sent to an unidentified person saying that the Guard would be present to “protect pro Trump people,” the panel said, and that more would be available on standby. The committee did not release any additional details about the email.

The contempt vote is coming after more than two months of negotiations with Meadows and his lawyer and as the panel has also struggled to obtain information from some of Trump’s other top aides, such as his longtime ally Steve Bannon. The House voted to recommend charges against Bannon in October, and the Justice Department indicted him on two counts of contempt last month.

Last edited:
Fox News hosts begged Mark Meadows to get Trump to call off the insurrection the same day as they went on air blaming Antifa and BLM for the attack.
Project certainty to the idiot masses, try and save face away from the camera.

Liz uses words that refer straight to the federal criminal code. The details that Liz reads out are pretty damning, and I don't think it's all they have, or all they expect to have. It's clear already, from what she has laid out, that Trump is guilty of a federal crime that comes with imprisonment. But I gather they want to bolster their case with additional testimony. They should, the investigation should get all of the evidence together that it can on this issue.

There is no doubt in my mind that Trump should have been removed from office following impeachment on this. In fact, I think just about everyone knows this - and it is how history will remember the event. I do wonder still if criminal charges will be brought over the evidence that the panel has/will uncover.

If they're going to bring charges, I think it's absolutely paramount that the case be as cut-and-dry as it can be.

Last edited:
As a face-saving exercise, I don't believe that the United States will imprison a former President, rightly or not. Shame and embarrassment are powerful motivators. You don't want to look "weak" in the eyes of other nations even though, counter-intuitively, imprisoning your politicians for rightfully proven misconduct (to put it mildly) is about the boldest and most righteous justice you'll ever find.

I would love to be proven wrong. What I think is the right thing to do and what I believe will happen are sadly chasms apart.

As a face-saving exercise, I don't believe that the United States will imprison a former President, rightly or not. Shame and embarrassment are powerful motivators. You don't want to look "weak" in the eyes of other nations even though, counter-intuitively, imprisoning your politicians for rightfully proven misconduct (to put it mildly) is about the boldest and most righteous justice you'll ever find.

I would love to be proven wrong. What I think is the right thing to do and what I believe will happen are sadly chasms apart.
I actually tend to agree. I think that officially removing his capacity to run for office would be sufficient for them (the panel). But I think that it would go farther to actually address the problem if he were imprisoned.

Last edited:
I actually tend to agree. I think that officially removing his capacity to run for office would be sufficient for them (the panel). But I think that it would go farther to actually address the problem if he were imprisoned.
I know it'd send out a strong message to future would-be autogolpists and I'm equally aware that it's unlikely to happen. That said, even if he were to be sent down the river I believe his prison conditions would be amongst the most luxurious in history.

Meanwhile his diehard acolytes would continue to paint him as a victim of the evil liberal prison system for whom nothing less than complete exoneration and the execution of his opponents would provide satisfaction. Fortunately, they're not calling the shots... so far.

Last edited:
I know it'd send out a strong message to future would-be autogolpists and I'm equally aware that it's unlikely to happen. That said, even if he were to be sent down the river I believe his prison conditions would be amongst the most luxurious in history.

Meanwhile his diehard acolytes would continue to paint him as a victim of the evil liberal prison system for whom nothing less than complete exoneration and the execution of his opponents would provide satisfaction. Fortunately, they're not calling the shots... so far.
Yea, there are problems any way you look at it.

Imprisonment could result in a victory for some other joker in 2024, at which point Trump is pardoned and insanity ensues. There's no zero-risk approach here, the US is quite simply at risk.

Which would mean two of them had only been in office for about THREE days (Cawthorn and MTG) before they potentially supported the 1/6 debacle. Might be a good idea to wait until the second week on the job before trying to overthrow your boss.

I like how this committee is going to expose how all these people committed treason only for absolutely nothing to happen and for them to all get reelected. Seriously, anyone involved in a plot to overthrow an election and circumvent the process that's been in place for hundreds of years should probably face actually consequences. But since I'm pessimistic about the government, I'm going to go out on a limb and say they'll all skate through unphased.

I like how this committee is going to expose how all these people committed treason only for absolutely nothing to happen and for them to all get reelected. Seriously, anyone involved in a plot to overthrow an election and circumvent the process that's been in place for hundreds of years should probably face actually consequences. But since I'm pessimistic about the government, I'm going to go out on a limb and say they'll all skate through unphased.
Due to the hyper-partisanship of the current US, just like nothing will happen to Trump, nothing will happen to them. The quote he had that he could get away with killing an innocent person just for fun is becoming more and more correct.

I just think it'll be a (widdle baby) step forward to actually catch these evildoers in the act and declare they did something wrong. Let the fantasists deny their wrongdoing but at least this is hopefully going on the historical record.

Actual consequences would be nice, however.

Last edited:

A real who's who list of douchebags as well.
There may be 1 person who could set punishments in motion, from a man you least expect, someone who clearly would like the GOP back under his control.
But I do think we're all watching, as you are, what is unfolding on the House side, and it will be interesting to reveal all the participants involved."

Last edited:
While I think that the article is drawing too dark of a picture it boggles my mind how this lie about widespread election fraud still has so many supporters. After all the audits and so many court cases where no evidence was found the article still cites an October CNN poll finding that "more than three-quarters of Republicans falsely believe Joe Biden's 2020 election win was fraudulent." I'm having such a hard time believing that man. It is so far off the grounds of basic reason and common sense that you'd either need to be incredibly ignorant of the findings or have outright malicious intent, disguised as said ignorance. It's crazy to think that it would take just one narcissistic nutjob and his inability to lose to throw a country like the US into such turmoil.

While I think that the article is drawing too dark of a picture it boggles my mind how this lie about widespread election fraud still has so many supporters. After all the audits and so many court cases where no evidence was found the article still cites an October CNN poll finding that "more than three-quarters of Republicans falsely believe Joe Biden's 2020 election win was fraudulent." I'm having such a hard time believing that man. It is so far off the grounds of basic reason and common sense that you'd either need to be incredibly ignorant of the findings or have outright malicious intent, disguised as said ignorance. It's crazy to think that it would take just one narcissistic nutjob and his inability to lose to throw a country like the US into such turmoil.
According to the latest Gallup polls Republicans only comprise three tenths of the US voting population though, so three quarters of that works out to only one in ten yanks being a nutjob.

I'm curious to find out just how much support Republicans think Trump had nationwide. If you use 160 million as a rough number of the votes cast, do these Republicans think that Trump really had 100 million or more people that actually supported him? Leaving Biden with 60 million or less votes? Or maybe even a bigger gap than that, 130 million to 30 million? Are they that delusional?

If these Republicans actually cared about Presidential elections being totally fair they would support the elimination of the Electoral College because after all what is more fair that one person equals one vote.

Similar also being reported in the Independent

To the far-right whackos who endorse him, the words Trump and fail don't exist without "cannot ever" between them.

I read recently that even if they don’t actually believe the election was stolen, it’s now part of the Republican identity to say that. No comment…

Back