The GTP Unofficial 2020 US Elections Thread

GTPlanet Exit Poll - Which Presidential Ticket Did You Vote For?

• Trump/Pence

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • Biden/Harris

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Jorgensen/Cohen

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Hawkins/Walker

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • La Riva/Freeman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • De La Fuente/Richardson

• Blankenship/Mohr

• Carroll/Patel

• Simmons/Roze

• Charles/Wallace

• Other

Votes: 15 25.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just testing out a theory of mine, does she enjoy the author Dan Brown?
I did very much enjoy The Da Vinci Code (in book form, I think I saw the movie but that's about it), maybe because I don't like the Roman Catholic Church, like I truly, deeply, madly dislike it (I have certain reservations regarding religions in general but that's another topic altogether. Or maybe not really to be frank but still.). Nevertheless, I don't think that I would have too much in common with her :)

I think I get your point here but I honestly don't think that the kind of Christianity that was per se the real stuff in the book would in any way, shape or form fit the Christianity that the Trumpists (or Viktor Orban or Jarosław Kaczyński) by their own account represent and want to defend from the rest of the world - although this is just on the side.

Last edited:
I did very much enjoy The Da Vinci Code (in book form, I think I saw the movie but that's about it), maybe because I don't like the Roman Catholic Church, like I truly, deeply, madly dislike it (I have certain reservations regarding religions in general but that's another topic altogether. Or maybe not really to be frank but still.). Nevertheless, I don't think that I would have too much in common with her 🙂

I think I get your point here but I honestly don't think that the kind of Christianity that was per se the real stuff in the book would in any way, shape or form fit the Christianity that the Trumpists (or Viktor Orban or Jarosław Kaczyński) by their own account represent and want to defend from the rest of the world - although this is just on the side.
It's not even about Christianity...it's the notion that everything is a clue and that there is always some hidden meaning. After watching that documentary "Q Into the Storm" it made me realize that these people are basically larping - they desparately want there to be some deep conspiracy to give their own life meaning, they want to be characters in something that matters. Honestly, I think the best way to get these people out of this black hole is to give them meaning elsewhere...a good hobby perhaps.

It's not even about Christianity...it's the notion that everything is a clue and that there is always some hidden meaning. After watching that documentary "Q Into the Storm" it made me realize that these people are basically larping - they desparately want there to be some deep conspiracy to give their own life meaning, they want to be characters in something that matters. Honestly, I think the best way to get these people out of this black hole is to give them meaning elsewhere...a good hobby perhaps.
Ah ok, I understand now :) I'm definitely not that kind of person, way too shallow for that :D

I do believe that governments and the Vatican hide secrets that may be better if the general population doesn't know about but I stop there. I also strongly believe that we're not alone in the Universe and maybe at one point or another we already had visitors. I do like e.g. Stargate very much as it used mythology to create a somewhat believable scenario. I could also cite Mr. K from MIB that he always looked at the bat**** crazy stuff in tabloids, again stretching reality towards a direction that "could be" true. Two more examples: Independence Day and the scene where Bill Pullman as POTUS realizes that Area 51 does exists and hides alien stuff but wasn't told for plausible deniability, and finally I do share some of the same fear that was mentioned in Battleship, as in if an alien civilization can get to us, we're gonna be the bugs or indigenous who will be wiped out. Again, I don't think even for a moment that any of this is actual truth and the deep state/the dems/liberals/Soros/ the LGBTQI (might have missed a letter), Antifa and BLM "maffia" etc.is actively hiding these from everyone else.

So yeah, I don't doubt that certain things might even be true or have actual roots in reality - but I do believe in reality and we learned very clearly that if Mr. Orange opens his mouth, truth will never come out of that.

Found this gem on Sunday

Attachments

• 5A57E9A0-FD1C-47AB-BFC7-1A11DEE52A89.jpeg
    5A57E9A0-FD1C-47AB-BFC7-1A11DEE52A89.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 13
It's not even about Christianity...it's the notion that everything is a clue and that there is always some hidden meaning.
I've read all of his books and ignoring the implausibility of them, I quite like them so you had me worried. 🤣

Is this cancel culture? This feels like cancel culture.

It must suck so much to be a republican in congress. Zero autonomy. Zero personal influence and investment in your achievements. Constantly under the thumb of strict party instructions.

Interesting. I've always been a big fan of Sci-Fi, Fantasy, conspiracy: The X-Files is a show I adored, the Outer Limits, The Twilight Zone, Alien Autopsy, Area 51, etc. But for me there's always been a difference between watching it on TV or reading about it in a book, and accepting that it's fiction and entertainment. In reality, and in the real world, I'm the ultimate sceptic. Painfully so. And you may be on to something that many of these people just don't have the ability to rationalize and make the distinction.

A lot of the more extreme Q drops or Q interpretations are posted as fodder on mainstream sites so we tend to think that they're ALL so completely outrageous that these people are, to a person, certifiably nuts. But there are also some posts that are a bit more level and go into a lot of details to try and connect the dots, which if you accept that this information is coming from a vetted, reliable source, it COULD possibly be true.

But there in lies the problem and I've made mention of it before. One of the biggest dangers of the Trump administration and a lot of these extreme right wing websites, Facebook Posts, etc., is that they have slowly embedded the idea that you can NOT trust the mainstream media. And this has caused a lot of people who may not have the cognitive ability to read these posts from a position of doubt, and instead to start from a position of belief.

But there in lies the problem and I've made mention of it before. One of the biggest dangers of the Trump administration and a lot of these extreme right wing websites, Facebook Posts, etc., is that they have slowly embedded the idea that you can NOT trust the mainstream media. And this has caused a lot of people who may not have the cognitive ability to read these posts from a position of doubt, and instead to start from a position of
Make Critical Thinking Great Again

But there in lies the problem and I've made mention of it before. One of the biggest dangers of the Trump administration and a lot of these extreme right wing websites, Facebook Posts, etc., is that they have slowly embedded the idea that you can NOT trust the mainstream media. And this has caused a lot of people who may not have the cognitive ability to read these posts from a position of doubt, and instead to start from a position of belief.
It's voluntary schizophrenia.

Religion goes a bit deeper, and tries to play the game within your own mind. Don't listen to those thoughts, those thoughts are from the devil, mistrust your own judgment. State propaganda can go that far, but I haven't seen the Trump cult try that move. Schizophrenics don't doubt their own mind though (at least not in the worst case scenario), and really do believe the conspiracy in their head. The cure, as you and @TexRex have been discussing is critical thinking*, but in my personal experience, this is not a strong suit among the cult.

This is something humanity has to overcome. We have all of these people that are terrible at critical thinking, and gave them gobs of information, including circular self-reinforcing psychological traps like political conspiracy theories, and they're leaping in with both feet.

* not for schizophrenics of course, they need meds

Last edited:
It must suck so much to be a republican in congress. Zero autonomy. Zero personal influence and investment in your achievements. Constantly under the thumb of strict party instructions.
Comrade, err patriot, you must follow great Com...err Republican Party. Or trip to gul, I mean, no committee assignments for you.

Sorry if it's been posted before. An ex-Trump aide has a book coming out.
I seem to recall there was some talk prior to the election that Trump could pull a stunt like that. Nothing from an official source though, it was just speculation.

Somewhere a lawyer is rubbing their hands with avaricious glee.
Is it Bruce Castor? I bet it's Bruce Castor.
John Pierce also seems like a likely bet.

Last edited:
First Senator McCarthy (dammit) threatens Republicans who accept role on January 6th Select Committee.

Then
Senator McCarthy (dammit) fails to act on that threat when Liz Cheney joins January 6th Select Committee.

Now
Senator McCarthy (dammit) is likely to place five Republicans on January 6th Select Committee.

That last one is actually wise (odds are he chooses firebrands in a scheme to disrupt the investigation and limit findings because he realizes any new information is likely to make Republicans look as **** as they are), but it looks super ****ing pathetic when taken as part of the whole.

I have a nasty suspicion that back in the good ol' days these are the sort of people who would have channeled that energy into going out and settling the frontiers and wilderness. Which is a good and valuable thing to do (apart from the whole oppressing the natives part, but that seems like it should be technically optional) while still letting them get out from under whatever system they feel like they're being oppressed by.

Unfortunately, that isn't really that much of an option any more.
This is something humanity has to overcome. We have all of these people that are terrible at critical thinking, and gave them gobs of information, including circular self-reinforcing psychological traps like political conspiracy theories, and they're leaping in with both feet.
I feel like the continued reliance on a schooling system based strongly on memorisation, rote learning and uncritical acceptance of information from designated authority figures probably isn't doing us any favours.

This is a fun thread. Language warning because some of the arguments presented by attorneys (and clients because they're stupid and won't let attorneys do what attorneys do) are truly incredulous and the commentator live-tweeting occasionally lets slip.

It's still ongoing, but Rudy's little idiot woman with the big hair, glasses and vocal fry, Melissa Carone, is actually discussed.

I get the sense that the judge isn't a big fan of performative litigation. Why would they be?

Back