The GTPlanet Forza Race Mod thread.

• Thread starter VXR
  • 99 comments

VXR

United Kingdom
Plymouth, UK
motorforum
An inspired idea by @ZDUPH

If the Ford Fiesta xr2 was in Gran Turismo 2, here's what I would think the racing modification for it would look like:
GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

Like it? Want it for yourself? It's up on the storefront, available in 3 different color schemes: Red/Orange (pictured), Blue/Light Blue, Purple/Black. Use the keywords 'Fantasy' and 'Realistic', or just search my gamertag: A 1998 Jeep XJ

The race mods are my most enduring memories of the first two Gran Turismo games and it's something I'd loved to have seen in Forza.

So, with the livery editor, why don't we create official race mod paints for the road cars?

Any love for this idea?

I'm definitely in, no doubt. I'm really happy that you liked the Fiesta RM I made. Heck, enough to start a thread about it. :D
I'm gonna keep it to cars from the 90s and before, since GT2 was released in 1999. Might make a Mazda RX-3 RM, or a Vauxhall Lotus Carlton RM next.

How do the numbers work with sharing? I was under the impression you couldn't edit a downloaded paintjob.

How do the numbers work with sharing? I was under the impression you couldn't edit a downloaded paintjob.
Correct. As soon as you try to enter the vinyl editor to edit a paint job, it will remove it from the car. So I am also interested in seeing how someone will get numbers onto this paint job unless he makes a numbered version himself. From what I can tell he will have to make every requested number. Unless someone knows something I do not know about.

Correct. As soon as you try to enter the vinyl editor to edit a paint job, it will remove it from the car. So I am also interested in seeing how someone will get numbers onto this paint job unless he makes a numbered version himself. From what I can tell he will have to make every requested number. Unless someone knows something I do not know about.
That, and I was trying to replicate many of the race mods in GT2 that had number boxes, but no numbers, like this:
Racing_Modification%20-%20Adjust-A2.jpg

I tried replicating that same BMW 3-Series racing mod back in Forza 5, but I failed at it. I'll try again however.

Anyhow, I like this idea and I have thought about it myself before. Well, I'll start doing it once I buy some duplicate cars.

There may be a solution to the sharing problem.

Instead of sharing the design as a complete paintjob, it may be possible to save each side of the car as a vinyl group and share them seperately. Since downloaded groups can be used in your designs so long as you don't try to share it yourself, it should be possible to modify these designs, add numbers, etc. for personal use.

I'm away from the game, but can anyone check if donloaded layer groups can be opened and modified, or if they are stuck as a group? That would change how numbers would have to be added.

There may be a solution to the sharing problem.

Instead of sharing the design as a complete paintjob, it may be possible to save each side of the car as a vinyl group and share them seperately. Since downloaded groups can be used in your designs so long as you don't try to share it yourself, it should be possible to modify these designs, add numbers, etc. for personal use.

I'm away from the game, but can anyone check if donloaded layer groups can be opened and modified, or if they are stuck as a group? That would change how numbers would have to be added.

This would work. I'm not sure if resizing would need to be done - though it'd be easier for the author to note placement and sizing in here - but numbers could be added on after downloading, absolutely. Just tell people the base paint colours they'd need, as well.

This would work. I'm not sure if resizing would need to be done - though it'd be easier for the author to note placement and sizing in here - but numbers could be added on after downloading, absolutely. Just tell people the base paint colours they'd need, as well.
Some agreed upon format to make searching easy would be a good idea as well.

I've just posted the first two liveries I've completed here.

F34.png
F34.png

I considered using Fantasy and Original for tags, since it would be easy to find--no one seems to use that combination. Of course, that would mean much fewer people would find any designs by chance. So I'd say Racing and Original is a good idea, as that gets the point across. I also included GTPlanet and RaceMod in the description for easier searching.

Happy creating!

Edit: Haven't dealt with the vinyl group sharing yet. But I figure those same tags and description are a good idea, plus the name of the car in the title.

Last edited:
Those Celicas look ace. 👍

I've been using the Replica and Classic tags, which probably aren't the best choice considering the inspiration, so perhaps I should change it going forward. I don't know if I can change them on existing shared designs though, and I don't want to risk unsharing them just to put them back up re-categorized, since I imagine it'd set my counts back.

So long as we mention in the thread which car the vinyl groups are for, we shouldn't have too much of a problem, I think.

Not sure I deserve to be posting in this thread since I can't share mine, but hey ho!

I used to love replicating race mods in Forza 4, and now that Forza 6 has a bigger user base making good quality vinyl groups, I decided to make some more, only now in next-gen quality. I decided to get some practice with a fairly simple one:

mr2.jpg

And here is my version:

MR2 RM-1.jpg

MR2 RM-2.jpg

MR2 RM-3.jpg

Due to the original PlayStation's amazingly outdated textures, its a bit hard to pinpoint what logos are what, so I used my imagination a bit. I figured it was probably mimicking a factory works car or a weekend racer, hence why most of the decals are related to Toyota.

Gonna try my hand at a few more relatively simple ones later on!

Those Celicas look ace. 👍

I've been using the Replica and Classic tags, which probably aren't the best choice considering the inspiration, so perhaps I should change it going forward. I don't know if I can change them on existing shared designs though, and I don't want to risk unsharing them just to put them back up re-categorized, since I imagine it'd set my counts back.
I think your tags make sense since you're actually doing replicas. Mine are original so the tag fits. You're right that as long as people have something to search for it should be easy to find. I'm adding GTPlanet and RaceMod to my descriptions, though it's probably not necessary.

Anyway, just finished the Fulvia I've been working on:

Mirage '92 Cyborg R race modified (drools), wonderful memories. Need a tissue.

I only race modified a Mazda 3 and butchered it in the process, drives like a pig. I'll see if I can get around making a livery for it. Anyone knows a good, basic and short tutorial for the livery editor?

VXR
Found a cool site featuring the original GT race mods that might be of use/inspiration.

http://gtracemods.weebly.com/

At some point in the next week, I'll be uploading my entire collection of every GT1 RM to the GTP media database. I don't have full 360-degree views of them, but it's been what I've used to build all of mine so far. Which reminds me, I have a first-gen RX-7 design based on one of the GT1 FC looks, in blue and dark pink. Will have to update my thread for those!

I'm looking to create some now I've got the painting bug again. I did the Camel font about 18 months ago and never did the actual camel. Yesterday I knocked that off the to do list.

Did anyone find the link to the GT2 race mods on that site? I only have the link for GT at the top right, on iOS Safari and Android Chrome.

EDIT:

S2000 race mod WIP. I do all logos in Horizon 2 now, seeing as we can import to 6 easy as pie.

22905039051_c69a669da3_z.jpg

Last edited:
Well I've been dragged kicking and screaming back into the livery editor thanks to @VXR's post with the race mod website. Working on the Aston Martin now.

Just finished the Aston Martim, currently on the DBS as the Gran Turismo version is from the DB7, I have it on both the normal and Team Forza versions of the car. Also put together a tune for it that is currently top 100 (pretty good for my driving) on the Top Gear Test Track. Will edit soon with photos.

As promised:

Last edited:
Looks beautiful! -----^
Thanks!

I just realized I screwed up colossally with the wheels on these things. For some reason I had the wheels from some of the Subaru Race Mods since I hadn't looked at the GT reference pics for a while. The silver is still as pictured while the green one is correct but uses a different tune for the right wheels.

Here is the corrected green version:

Aston Martin DBS - Gran Turismo Race Mod by Justin Frizzell, on Flickr

Ahhhhhh redemption!!!
2532279_orig.png

I didn't screw up after all! I like having the two different versions though.

Just got the regular DBS paints and tunes up. Tune is A700 for the regular DBS and S800 (I think, I'm not at my Xbox right now so the numbers might be wrong) There are two different tunes for the normal DBS, one for the green paint and one for the silver, just search my name for everything - TheRealJFrizze​

Last edited:
Presented like that they're just so beautiful to look at. They might be low-res, but they're easily as attractive as pixel art.

Cheers. There's a few other things I can do with them, such as mentioning which real life liveries they may be inspired by, and I'm planning on making a few tunes in-game that get as close as possible to the full-tilt tunes of GT1. To match up with the liveries I've already created, naturally!

Next project: the Eclipse GT. I did one in FM4, and it'd be nice to do something that isn't a Mazda.

upload_2015-12-14_10-38-8.png

upload_2015-12-14_10-38-15.png

Just finished the Eclipse race mod. This one was a little harder for me since I had to be a bit more creative with what logos to use. I like it though.

Untitled by Justin Frizzell, on Flickr

The car in Gran Turismo is silver but I thought it would be fun to do chrome for a little extra flair, if anyone wants though it is an easy change to get a silver base up.👍

Back