The GTPlanet Gear List Thread

• Thread starter G.T
  • 332 comments
Damn nice collection you're building up there. From the F3 HP to the Domke F2 bag... and so much in between. I'm green. 👍

Anyway, I have a small update, too, and this is my final list right now:

Bodies:
Nikon F80
Nikon D600

Primes:
Sigma 20mm f/1.8
Sigma 50mm f/1.4
Nikkor AI 135mm f/2.8
Nikkor AI 20mm f/3.5
Nikkor Series E 50mm f/1.8
Nikkor Series E 35mm f/2.5

Zooms:
Sigma 15-30mm f/3.5-4.5

It's taken a while to build up, and I haven't had much time for photography lately due to Uni work. Hopefully that'll change in the summer. I do want a D600 though! I'm thinking of selling a few cameras but they all have their own unique charm, particularly the lens on the 3.5 Rolleiflex. The Leica and Hexar are pretty much copies of each other in terms of lenses, but they both make me shoot in very different ways, I take a more considered approach with the Leica compared to the Hexar. The F3 is a hefty beast and the Domke is a great bag, I use it the most out of the three.

Well I might as well put up my humble collection.

Canon 400D
Canon 18-55mm (basic kit lens)
Tamron 70-300mm (hunk of garbage & broken)
BG-E3 Grip
Lowepro Sling backpack

Above given to my partner so she can learn photography.

Fuji X-E1
Fuji 18-55mm
Chinon 28mm
Pentax 50mm
PK-FX adapter
Screw mount to PK adapter ring
Billingham Hadley small

Various filters and other bits etc.

I've got my eyes on...

SLR magic Hyperprime 50mm F0.95
Leica 35mm f2 Summicron + Fuji Adapter
Ziess 12mm (new to be released)
Samyang 8mm Fisheye

To be honest Sprite I wouldn't buy any Leica lenses unless you have/are planning to buy a Leica M-mount body. The native Fuji lenses are amazing bits of glass, even the walking Leica encyclopaedia Erwin Puts has this to say about the 35/1.4 Fuji:

The X-Pro 1 is not without shortcomings, but in the area of recording performance does not only challenge the Leica M9, but might even surpass its image quality.The 1.4/35mm lens is unexpectedly good and is capable of challenging the Leica Summilux-M 1.4/50mm ASPH, the reigning champion of high-speed standard lenses for precision miniature cameras.

The Zeis Touit 32/1.8 looks very promising too, and it looks like it'll be around £600. For reference, a used 35 'cron will run you from around £900 for the V2/V3s, £1200 for the V4s, £1500 for the latest ASPH models and £2000+ for the 8-element V1s. They're nice lenses but the price has been driven up too highly.

Last edited:
Guess I'll list my stuff,

Body
Nikon D-300 body with MB-D10 grip
Nikon D-70s (wife uses it)

Lenses
Nikon 17-55 f2.8
Nikon 70-300 f4.5-5.6 VR
Nikon 50 mm f1.4 AI-S
Nikon 18-200 f3.5-5.6 VR (permanently on the D70s)

Misc
Nikon SB-800 flash
Manfrotto 190D tripod with a 352 ball head....both way too small :(
Sandisk Extreme IV 16 Gig card
Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW

Film
Minolta 5xi body
Tamron AF24-70mm f/3.3-5.6
Minolta AF 100-300/4.5-5.6 non-APO

To be honest Sprite I wouldn't buy any Leica lenses unless you have/are planning to buy a Leica M-mount body. The native Fuji lenses are amazing bits of glass, even the walking Leica encyclopaedia Erwin Puts has this to say about the 35/1.4 Fuji:

The Zeis Touit 32/1.8 looks very promising too, and it looks like it'll be around £600. For reference, a used 35 'cron will run you from around £900 for the V2/V3s, £1200 for the V4s, £1500 for the latest ASPH models and £2000+ for the 8-element V1s. They're nice lenses but the price has been driven up too highly.

Thanks for the input. I was tempted to save for the M240 of MM. I've heard great things about the Fuji 35. To be honest the cost of the Leica does put me off a bit. I suppose for the price I could get the Fuji and save the rest for the Fuji 57 F1.2.

Well, I was anticipating shooting film for some time to come but I've happened upon a pretty sweet deal. Shutter count of roughly 3500.

Nikon D200
Nikon AF-S 18-70mm f3.5-f4.5 (non VR)
Sigma 70-300mm f4-f5.6 DL Macro Super
Nikon SB-28 Speedlight.

It may be an old set but it's still in great shape and takes great photos with both lenses. I love the way it fits in my hands and handles, worlds better than my old D5100. I'm also excited about being able to use older AF lenses and being able to meter with those that I couldn't with the D5100.

A couple pics because I'm super excited!

84j7bsR.jpg

GodRwR2.jpg

Last edited:
The D200 is a fine body. 👍 ISO performance isn't amazing, but 1600 is usable if you get the exposure just right and don't boost in post. The build quality is so much nicer than the plastic Nikons.

I locked mine at ISO800, but truth be told, the lastest generations of Lr came and helped a lot with handling noise. ISO1600 should be acceptable, I guess.

And I agree, it is a damn fine body. 👍

The D200 is a fine body. 👍 ISO performance isn't amazing, but 1600 is usable if you get the exposure just right and don't boost in post. The build quality is so much nicer than the plastic Nikons.

I locked mine at ISO800, but truth be told, the lastest generations of Lr came and helped a lot with handling noise. ISO1600 should be acceptable, I guess.

And I agree, it is a damn fine body. 👍

I was doing some testing last night and found that as F1GTR says if the image is properly exposed ISO 1600 isn't too bad, but I'll try to keep away from there when I can. DM, is there a way you can prevent it from going above 800? I typically shoot in manual anyways, resulting in numerous bad pictures :lol:, but it would be good to know how.

So I was debating on whether or not to mention how much I'm getting the whole setup for but it's just too hard not to... 100 bucks! :dopey: Haters gonna hate :lol: The guy who owns it hasn't used it in quite some time and when I overheard him discussing maybe selling it I said I was interested and he talked like I probably wouldn't want it because of it's age. I was hoping to move over to Canon because that's what most the people I'm working with/for are shooting with but I just can't pass this up.

100 bucks?!? Damn... Even I would have bought that, sell everything else and keep a D200 for free.

Anyway, I use "ISO Auto" all the time. And on that menu you can set, not only the minimum speed, but also the maximum ISO you want it to go. It's there I would set it to 800.

Of course, if you shoot manual most of the time, you should just turn "ISO Auto" off.

Added the Canon EOS 1D X and the 16-35mm f2.8L to my collection. (see post 214)

Nikon shooter here, my partial list is:

D4, D3
main lenses, 200 f2, 85 f1.4, 28-70 2.8, and a few others. I am going to post a few "non game" shoots up soon.

Oh my... I have done it again: I have yet added new stuff to my collection (marked in italic):

Bodies:
Nikon F80
Nikon FE2
Nikon D600

Primes:
Sigma 20mm f/1.8
Sigma 50mm f/1.4

Nikkor AI 20mm f/3.5
Nikkor AI 35mm f/1.4
Nikkor AI 55mm f/1.2

Nikkor AI 135mm f/2.8

Nikkor Series E 35mm f/2.5

Zooms:
Sigma 15-30mm f/3.5-4.5

I seriously need to sort my collection and sell something.

Been a while since I've updated this, new in bold

Body:
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon EOS M
Canon Rebel XTi (400D)
Minolta X-700 (35mm)

Primes:
Rokinon 8mm F/3.5
Canon EF-M 22mm F/2

Canon EF 35mm F/2.0
Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II
Canon EF 50mm F/1.4
Canon EF 135mm F/2 L

M42:
Yashica 50mm F/1.7
Yashica 50mm F/2
Super Takumar 55mm F/2
Petri 55mm F/1.7
Isco-Gottingen 135mm F/3.5
Promatic 135mm F/2.8
Noritar 250mm F/4.5
2x extender, M42

Minolta 50mm F/1.7

Zooms:
Canon EF 17-40mm F/4 L
Canon EF 70-200mm F/4 L

Flash:
Canon 430EX I

Misc:
M42 to EF-M adapter
M42 to EF adapter
El Cheapo intervalometer

@Azuremen: nice M42 collection there. 👍

Also, how's quality of the Rokinon? I know optics are good, but I'd like to know about the build quality.
(I've seen some 85mm f/1.4 Rokinon/Samyang for good prices and have been wondering if they're worth it)

TB
That is a big old bag of kit, @Azuremen. 👍

Thanks! I need to get rid of a few lenses to make way for a 35mm F/1.4

@Azuremen: nice M42 collection there. 👍

Also, how's quality of the Rokinon? I know optics are good, but I'd like to know about the build quality.
(I've seen some 85mm f/1.4 Rokinon/Samyang for good prices and have been wondering if they're worth it)

The M42 collection was prompted by that EOS M and is entirely thrift store finds, so around $10 per lens.

The 8mm is fairly solid, the focus ring is nicely dampened and it feels solid in the hands. The clicks on the aperture ring are a bit light, but that is just personal preference I'd say. Optically it is pretty sharp (I'm sure you've seen some of my photos from it) and performs well enough wide open that I use it at bars and events. For the $215 I paid for it, I'd certainly say it was worth it - seen it for a little cheaper now as well, just keep an eye out for sales.

As for the 85mm Rokinon, I've been very curious about it for a while now, but have heard mixed reviews when it is on a full-frame. I'd say if you can find one for a bit under retail, go with it and let us know - don't see why you couldn't get most of the money back on it if you don't care for it. I'm thinking it would make a great street lens on my EOS M as well, so might look to one in the future regardless. Recently worked with an old Nikon (Nikkor?) 85mm F/1.4 with EF adapter (all manual) and it was pretty addicting even on a crop sensor.

The M42 collection was prompted by that EOS M and is entirely thrift store finds, so around $10 per lens.

The 8mm is fairly solid, the focus ring is nicely dampened and it feels solid in the hands. The clicks on the aperture ring are a bit light, but that is just personal preference I'd say. Optically it is pretty sharp (I'm sure you've seen some of my photos from it) and performs well enough wide open that I use it at bars and events. For the $215 I paid for it, I'd certainly say it was worth it - seen it for a little cheaper now as well, just keep an eye out for sales.

As for the 85mm Rokinon, I've been very curious about it for a while now, but have heard mixed reviews when it is on a full-frame. I'd say if you can find one for a bit under retail, go with it and let us know - don't see why you couldn't get most of the money back on it if you don't care for it. I'm thinking it would make a great street lens on my EOS M as well, so might look to one in the future regardless. Recently worked with an old Nikon (Nikkor?) 85mm F/1.4 with EF adapter (all manual) and it was pretty addicting even on a crop sensor.
Yeah, I figured the relation with the EOS M. ;)

I've seen your photos with the 8mm, yes. Good to know the built is nice and solid.

That is a great price you've paid for it, even if it is a little cheaper now. A new 8mm here will cost me 300€ and the 85mm 325€. Having said that, I can get a used 85 for around 180€. Maybe I'll give it a try if/when a good deal comes up - as you said, I won't lose much money if I wish to resell it.

I wonder if you have used a AF D or the AIS vesion of the 85mm f/1.4. I'd love to own either one - they're such beautiful pieces of equipment - but the prices are high.

First post here. Didn't even know this thread existed until just a few minutes ago. I guess I never look at the TOP of the page...... Post is way too long, because I like to tell stories rather than make simple lists. Sorry. Feel free to TL;DR me.

Film:

Had a Kodak Instamatic in high school, which made me think taking pictures was pretty cool. Begged the parents for better, and got a hand-me-down 1952 Voigtlander Vitessa folding rangefinder. (This was Xmas 1979.) Dad handed it to me (his old camera, he bought it new) and said "Have at it." Oh, yeah. He handed me a light meter, too. Needed that. ;) His only real help: shoot Kodachrome. Nothing else matters!

Sometime in 1983 my sister's boyfriend was talking about a camera he got for his birthday but didn't want. I had a hunnert bucks on me for some reason, offered it to him. Deal! he says. Brand new Canon AE-1 with 50-1.4. I did not lose any sleep! Eventually added a Kiron 70-100 f:4 and a thyristor flash. Shot with that for 8 years or so, and bought a Nikon n8008 AF camera. That had the 50-1.8, and a 80-200 (or was it a 70-210?) along with an SB-24 flash. That was my first "dedicated" flash with TTL flash metering (where the camera could control the flash, rather than simply being set to the aperture required for the thyristor light sensor) The Canon stuff went into a drawer at that time, and eventually to eBay.

Digital:

Started with a Sony DSC-P92 point-and-shoot that I still have. I let the grandkids shoot with it now. Amazingly nice IQ, good color. 5MP, which was state of the art in its day. It made me love the instant feedback digital gives, and the freedom to pick and chose from the images without having to pay for film and processing. Got it as a door prize at a company party at Christmas 2003. Wasn't too long before the n8008 and stuff went into the dresser drawer, and eventually to eBay.

I soon enough got tired of the shutter delay on the P92, and longed for the response and flexibility of an SLR again. Friend of mine with a media company upgraded some gear, suddenly had a Nikon D50 with the two kit lenses and an SB-600 for sale. Nabbed that and became a "modern" digital shooter.

Sure enough, 6MP wasn't good enough, found a D5000 on eBay and sold the D50. The D5000 showed me how bad the 55-200 kit lens was so I bought Nikon's 70-300 ED VR, and dumped the 55-200 on eBay. After a couple more years I eBay-traded again, this time to a D7000, and that was not the best trade. I took a bath on the D5000, after I'd ponied up for the D7000, because I was too cheap to put a reserve on it. They were flying all over at 150 more than I got. :indiff:

Back to film:

I got this wild hair up my butt one day, thinking I'd like to shoot some nice, slow, slide film again. People kept telling me how lovely Velvia was, but I had no vehicle for it. Off to eBay! Found an F4 for 152 bucks and nabbed it. Shows handling wear (markings worn on the mode switch, stuff like that) but it runs perfectly. Shoots with my 70-300, and even with the 18-55 as long as it's over high-20s on the zoom. Got curious about old glass and picked up an 85-1.8 and a 50-1.4 on the ol' fleabay.

But that viewfinder is useless with a manual focus lens, so some patient searching turned up a K screen, with the microprism and center rangefinder. But crap! It fit the F3, not the F4. Comparing the glass to the E screen the F4 came with, and comparing the metal frame, I found that the frame is all that was different. I didn't want to actually change the frame on the E screen, I wanted to be able to swap easily, so now what? Well, I found an F screen on the UK eBay site that was for the F4 and bought it. I put my K screen in the F4 frame and put the F screen (useless to me) in the F3 frame and set it aside. Now I have truly interchangeable E and K screens for the F4, even though the K stays in most of the time.

I've picked up 2 other lenses over the few years I've had with the D7000. I found a damaged Sigma 30mm f:1.4, listed with AF working but not focusing closer than 3 or 4 feet (instead of the 6 inches or so it ought to reach.) Fine. I don't care. Bought it for way less than half a new one. It eventually failed and stopped focusing, though. Sent it for repair, which took almost 10 weeks (!) but it's been perfect ever since, and was still much less than a new one! The other was the Rokinon 8mm fisheye, the Nikon chipped version so it meters all modes and writes EXIF data correctly. That lens has been way more fun than I dreamed it could be!

Since I was a Canon guy with my first SLR, I decided to investigate Canon film bodies. I slobbered over the T90 when it was new (1100 bucks!!!!!!!) and got one on eBay for less than a hundred. Of course, I had to get glass, too. FD mount lenses are not expensive, since they can't be put on ANYTHING else, so I got a 50-1.4, and a 70-210 f:4. I still had a 28-2.8 from before, and a 2x teleconverter that's pretty much junk. I did find the "good" 7-element teleconverter on eBay and picked that up. I also got the 300TL flash, which is an amazing piece of kit for the late 80s! The most amazing thing happens with the T90 when you half-press the shutter button. The viewfinder display for shutter and aperture is red LED digits!!! Like an ancient calculator! :lol: The T90 is a wonderful camera, but I think after playing with them both, and the fact that the 70-210 is not exactly magnificent, I'll reBay that stuff and stick with the F4 for film.

One more: When Dad passed away I grabbed his photo gear. The camera amongst that was a Canon T70 which instantly went on eBay, and a Voigtlander Ultramatic with three lenses which I kept. It's got a jammed shutter, and the meter doesn't respond to light (probably not good....) but one day I'll have an extra 300 bucks or so to get it working. Just for old times' sake. Or not. Its glass is wonderfull, and I got a Hong Kong adapter ring that lets me mount it on the D7000. That leads to some interesting experiments!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So: currently on hand:

Voigtlander Vitessa folding rangefinder, 50mm f:2 Ultron lens, working

Voigtlander Ultramatic SLR with 50-f:2, 35-f:4, and 135-f:4. Camera not working but lenses mountable on the Nikon with an adapter, and usable in M mode with stopped-down metering.

Nikon F4 with E and K focus screens. Uses all my Nikon lenses, and can mount non-AI lenses as well. Even uses my SB-600. Only thing it doesn't do is trigger the VR on lenses so equipped.

Canon T90
Canon 50mm f:1.4
Canon 70-210 f:4
Vivitar 28mm f:2.8
Tokina 7-element 2x teleconverter
Cheapie 4-element 2x teleconverter
Canon 300TL flash

Sony DSC-P92 point-and-shoot.

Nikon D7000
SB-600, originally with the D50 all those years ago
Nikkor 18-55 lens, originally with the D50.
Nikkor 70-300 ED VR
Sigma 30mm f:1.4
Rokinon 8mm fisheye, Nikon-chipped manual-focus
Nikkor 85mm f:1.8 manual focus converted to AI (so it fits the D7000 as well as the F4)
Nikkor 50mm f:1.4 manual focus non-AI

Oh, yeah.... with all this film being shot in this digital age, I got a film scanner a few years back, a Nikon LS-2000. SCSI interface, about 6MP scanning a 35mm frame.

I have a pentax k20D and a pentax K100D with a 70-300 mm lens a 18-55 mm lens a 28-105 mm lens and a 28-300 mm lens, also have a proper flash gun and tripod. also have 2 camcorders

That is a great price you've paid for it, even if it is a little cheaper now. A new 8mm here will cost me 300€ and the 85mm 325€. Having said that, I can get a used 85 for around 180€. Maybe I'll give it a try if/when a good deal comes up - as you said, I won't lose much money if I wish to resell it.

I, uh, may have bought the Rokinon (BELL+HOWELL) 85mm f/1.4 a couple weeks back when it was on sale for $210, shipped.

The focus ring is a bit coarse but nothing too crazy and gets the job done. Aperture ring could have a bit more snap to each half stop but, again, it gets the job done. At f/1.4, there is clearly CA at high contrast areas (which makes sense) and it feels pretty sharp around f/2.8, but I haven't done any serious testing. Now I just need to get an EF adapter for my EOS-M to have a silly street telephoto.

@Azuremen Oh, nice! 👍

I've changed my strategy now: instead of investing around 200€ for the Samyang, I'm now looking for a Nikkor AIS 85mm f/1.4 for around 300€. It won't be an easy task, but with a bit of luck and no rush, I think it can be done.
If it fails, I'll simply grab a Samyang someday, too.

Anyway, for a change, right now I have less stuff than I used to:

Bodies:
Nikon FE2
Nikon D600

Lenses:
Sigma 20mm f/1.8
Sigma 50mm f/1.4
Nikkor AI 20mm f/3.5
Nikkor AI 35mm f/1.4
Nikkor AI 55mm f/1.2
Nikkor AI 135mm f/2.8

Scratch what I've said just a few days ago... :embarrassed:

Bodies:
Nikon FE2
Nikon D600

Lenses:
Sigma 20mm f/1.8
Sigma 50mm f/1.4
Nikkor AI 20mm f/3.5
Nikkor AI 35mm f/1.4
Nikkor AI 55mm f/1.2
Nikkor AI 135mm f/2.8
Samyang AE 85mm f/1.4

So I kinda want to upgrade my body and buy an A6000 body. I could probably only get like $250 for my NEX-5N body. Is it worth it? The A6000 body is $650.

NEX-5N (No view finder or flash)

_DSC4079.jpg

A6000 (Built in view finder and flash, not to mention improved in just about every way)

colors.jpg

@Cale: Ever thought about the A7?
Just saying... Maybe hold onto your NEX-5N a bit more and then buy a used one?

The A7 is $2K body only. I've thought dirty thoughts about it though that's for sure.

Back