The GTPlanet Mini/MINI Club

• Thread starter miniMADness
  • 450 comments
On the new MINI, why is it that the regular MINI is so... 'plain' yet with the bonnet stripes and grille lights it looks superhot/aggressive? I LOVE the car with the grille lights...

I agree, I reckon that the Cooper looks so much better with the stripes. The white roof also looks great. I think that the line suit the look of the car so much because of the way that the bonnet is shaped.

Got any Mini pics, Ice?

Here is my 67 Innocenti Mini Cooper. Not quite stock!!

Attachments

• back_pass.jpg
    back_pass.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 11
  • front_pass.jpg
    front_pass.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Inside_Driver.jpg
    Inside_Driver.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 5
Thanks miniMADness! I have been here for a few months, but somehow missed this thread.

Yes, the Innocenti Mini is a little more rare here in the US and as a result of being "born" in Italy and living the last part of it's life in California, is pretty rust free. I was working for MiniGuy.com located near here in Ventura, Calif. after going in to talk about trading my trusty ol' 87 Z52 Corvette for a Mini and while he was evaluating my Vette by driving it home, I was bringing a different Mini home every night to show my wife and take her out for a test drive. The neighbors got a kick out of seeing all the different Minis. I had brought home a red pick-up, a blue panel wagon with the big rear side windows from Australia and several different saloons(coupes)of Austin, Morris and Innocenti vintage.

Check with Michael the MiniGuy on his site for help in finding a Mini or even some other unique car you are interested in. He can probably find just about anything you want.

I currently am having a really nice motor built by Graham Reid of Heritage Garage in Costa Mesa, Calif. and it should be done any day now. Graham races his Mini and has a bunch of other SCCA Mini racers who come to him for the reliable work he does. He is also the guy who was the Technical Advisor for the History Channel's "Full Throttle" show that featured two 78 Mini's last month.

The motor is going to be a 1310cc with an unleaded head, 266 cam, HIF6 carb, LCB header, RC40 exhaust, lightweight flywheel, central oil pick-up, Crane Cams XE700 electronic ignition among other mods.

It has 'S' model twin fuel tanks, 'S' oil cooler, 'S' 7.5" disc brakes, Spax adjustable shocks, Hi-Lo's front and rear, and fairly new interior mods. The wheels are Panasport Ultralights(6x13 on front and 7x13 on rear) with BFG Euro 175x50x13 tires all the way around attached to new front and rear sub-frames.

It will be a lot of fun to get it back on the road and my favorite curvy roads here in the Santa Barbara area are waiting. I'm like a little kid waiting for Christmas and time is moving very slooooowly.

I'll post some more pictures when it is all done. Thanks for starting this thread for all us Mini-lovers and I won't lose sight of it again now that I have found it.

Wow, sounds like you have some pretty big plans for it. 👍

If you look back through the thread, there are some pics of my mums '76 Clubman S. Its as stock as a rock. Being a Clubman S, it got the 1100cc long stroke engine, a tacho and better trim. I love driving it, so much fun - Even if everything passes it on the highways.

Do you read MiniWorld or MiniMagazine, Wayne?

I got a mini, im from UK.

I recommond you get on 165/70/10" with 10"x5 to 6 wide alloys. you got cooper S brakes. so take advantage of cooper S 7.5" brakes.

mini are best on 10" rather than on 13", you will bugger up the handling on 13" you will go though lots of front ball bearing. and needed to do body work modifcation (cutting the front end away) to fit the 13"

If you cannot_ find 10"s wheels, please at least go on 12x5.5 wide alloys with good tyres.

I driven on 13" once. handling is really bad, the car tramlines, alots.

Hi miniMADness. Although I haven't seen all the pages yet, I did get to see your family's Clubman. It sounds like you will be spending a lot of time in it in the future. Have fun and don't worry about the cars passing you. While they keep stopping for more gas, you will keep cruising down the road and having a lot more fun anyway.

Hi Vrooom. I appreciate your info and understand where you are coming from. I have been able to drive a large variety of all types of Minis and like all the different combinations of engines, suspensions and tires. While I have enjoyed the feel of 10" and 12" tire/wheel cars, I bought my current Mini because of the great handling it has. A lot of Minis just have 13" tires and wheels put on without changing anything else and they can be very ill-handlers. I actually got to drive one that does just what you were talking about in the one time you drove one that wasn't done right.

This Mini has been properly set up for the 13" wheels and tires and has been this way for about 10 years. Everything works just great and the body has been modified perfectly. The fenders have been cut and re-rolled and the suspension mods to it make it very enjoyable in all situations. I wouldn't think of changing anything at this point and love the look with the Fortech flares and airdam. Also, if I put dinky little tires and wheels back on it, it would look silly with the big fender flares and I would have to redo the suspension to work with the small tires again. I appreciate your concerns, but the car is exactly the way I like it and very reliable and predictable on every fun curvy road I have been on. When I get the new much more powerful engine in it, it will be even more fun.

vrooom666
I got a mini, im from UK.

Nice, what is it, and do you have and pics?

Wayne Gratiot
It sounds like you will be spending a lot of time in it in the future. Have fun and don't worry about the cars passing you. While they keep stopping for more gas, you will keep cruising down the road and having a lot more fun anyway.

Yeah, it is my mums car, but i plan to drive it heaps and eventually get my own - hopefully a GT (yeah, right!) or an Estate. I would have heaps more fun than everyone else, like you said.

Hi miniMADness. Enjoy driving your mum's Mini as much as you can and keep learning about Mini's as you go. By the time you are ready to buy your own, you will know what you want and be able to find a good deal instead of just jumping in and buying a lot of trouble. You have lots of time and a head start on most guys by already having one in the family. Perfect situation!! 👍

I forgot to mention that I have read quite a few issues of both MiniWorld and MiniMagazine since the MiniGuy had subscriptions to both and there were many issues of each in a bookcase in the office at his Mini showroom. I would borrow a few at a time and read them and copy articles I wanted to save and then take them back to work and get a couple more to take home until I had been thru all of them. Never have had to buy an issue yet, but now that I am not working there any more, I have to finally get my own subscriptions.

Thanks again for keeping this thread alive and I'll talk to you later.

Wayne

PS: I added a few more pictures of my Mini and hope to see many others do the same with their Minis.

"I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up."

Attachments

• 1_Trunk.jpg
    1_Trunk.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 7
  • back_driver.jpg
    back_driver.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 7
I only have one picture of the engine bay. It is also from the prior owner who sent all the pictures I have posted to me before I bought the car. It shows the rare 970S motor that was in it when I bought it. That engine is currently down at Heritage Garage where my new engine is being built. Some of the ancillaries in the picture will be used on the new motor.

The orange Mini is my engine builder's race Mini going down the corkscrew at Laguna Seca.

I have to go and get a call on Skype from some racing friends in Finland, so I'll talk to you later. Love that free unlimited phone service on Skype.

Wayne

Attachments

• ls-5.jpg
    ls-5.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 12
  • View_from_Back1.jpg
    View_from_Back1.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Engine.jpg
    Engine.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 10
Hi guys. Here are a few more Mini pictures. This is what happens when you modify your Mini while on an acid trip. Ouch!!!

Attachments

• Ugly or what.jpg
    Ugly or what.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Ugly or what 2.jpg
    Ugly or what 2.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 7
Sorry. That wasn't nice. That car was actually for sale on E-Bay.

The Mini/MINI picture showing the size difference is again from the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca. The next picture is of the famous Fortech Mini that runs in the SCCA GT5 class. The last picture is three GT5 Minis followed by the orange standard-bodied Mini racer of my engine builder Graham Reid also at Laguna Seca.

Attachments

• ls-1.jpg
    ls-1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 9
  • mini fortech yellow 2.jpg
    mini fortech yellow 2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 5
  • minis at Laguna Seca.jpg
    minis at Laguna Seca.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 7
Ive seen a vid of the MINI/Mini down the corkscrew. The Mini kills it for cornering. I remember that MiniMania did up that MINI for racing in the US. It was the first in the country at the time. I remember reading ,they had so little time to prepare for the racing season that they had to prioritise mods to the car.

alright, i am rededicating myself to the MINI club. Its been awhile, mostly cuz my house's internet was balls for awhile, but i am sable now, so consider me part of the crew once more.

Nice! Welcome back (not that you were considered gone)!

Ive been driving the Mini lately. Its so much fun. Except for the brakes, or lack thereof. It probably has something to do with the front drums being about the size of boot polish tins.

Ive got my flight to england booked. I fly into Heathrow airport on the 2nd May. So far ive got a few shopping items -

1 x Clear tailight set
1 x Quickshift
1 x Chrome rocker cover

If you guys can think of anything that i should buy, but fits in a suitcase, tell me!

Jack

Mmm, Nice black Cooper. My new Motor magazine has a small article on the next gen Mini Cooper. It says the base Cooper will move from a tardy 85kW to 112kW, the Cooper S will now hit the heady heights of 128kW - Or about 3kW more than the current car. It looks nice, but I prefer the current

heres a few pics of the BMW M3 MINI Cooper Conversion that i saw at Silverstone Curcuit UK. It was modified for rear wheel drive too!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This was apparently running at near to 400Bhp! 👍 :yuck:

WorksAccess
heres a few pics of the BMW M3 MINI Cooper Conversion that i saw at Silverstone Curcuit UK. It was modified for rear wheel drive too!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This was apparently running at near to 400Bhp! 👍 :yuck:
WOAH! 👍

Wayne Gratiot
Hi guys. Here are a few more Mini pictures. This is what happens when you modify your Mini while on an acid trip. Ouch!!!
I believe that's trying to look like a Mini Marcos. :yuck:

Back