The Running Thread

• Thread starter Yukon
  • 121 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Do you run?

If you're a runner, what is it you do? Do you run on the track, trail or road? What kind of events to you take part in? Do you compete? Are you a short or long distance runner? 10K, Marathon, Ultra or do you run casually or for fitness?

Share stories about the runs you've taken part in.

Are you not a runner and would like to start, but don't know how? Ask anything about it in here!

Last edited:
The Loch Ness Marathon, 29th September 2013.

Yesterday I stood at the start of what would be my very first marathon. It was cold, bitterly cold. The run didn't start until 10AM and the buses arrived at the drop off point just before half eight. The drop off point, being in the middle of nowhere on the high ground of Scotland. It was windy and with a temperature of less than 10 degrees C, it wasn't looking like a promising morning!

To pass the time, myself and some others from the same bus decided to join the queue for the toilets, in hope that it would take a while to go down. Less than 5 minutes later, we had nothing to do again! I wished them well and went down to look at the start, where there were some of the elite preparing for the 26 miles ahead. Afraid of trespassing into their sacred zone I quickly 180'd around and shuffled the other way, just trying to keep my legs warm and the blood flowing. Eventually, 10AM came.

I started off steadily, adjusting to having a lot of others around me and quite comfortably kept to my pace. Since the first couple of miles of the run are all either downhill or flat, the start was a little quicker than anticipated. The real challenges start at around 4 miles in, where the ground becomes a flow of ups and downs and twists and turns. I was approaching the 'Mile 5 Hill'. I slowed down, not wanting to burn myself out so soon and after more than a couple of minutes of climbing I was up and over and then started descending again - what goes up must come down.

Eventually the ground gets lower and you're on the Loch side. Not having a watch, I asked a fellow runner the time just after Mile 9. We'd been running for just over an hour. This was looking good, I was on for my sub 4 hour target and was still feeling as fresh as I could have been. Half way came and went and we hit our first group of spectators at Mile 17, passing through the small town of Dores. I knew that after this we'd start climbing again. Just after Mile 18 there's a hill that doesn't stop climbing until you're nearing Mile 20. It feels like it goes on for forever.

After Mile 21, I'd been going for just under 3 hours. The pace had slowed down, courtesy of the hills but I just kept moving. One foot in front of the other, as I'd learned whilst training. After Mile 23 you reach Inverness, the capital of the Highlands. It's where I live. This is when the real crowds begin to appear and all hopes of having a cheeky walk before anyone sees you go right out the window. The pain was intense, I was in unknown territory as I'd never run further than 21.5 miles before. My sides were full of sharp pains and my blisters were juicier than ever.

As you reach the River Ness, there's people everywhere! I've never participated in a big sporting event before so this was all new to me. The pain in my legs started to worsen with every step, I had less than a mile to go so I tried going faster which just wasn't happening. I'd reached that certain point of not being able to do anything but simply move forward.

I crossed the finish with a time of 3 Hours 56 Minutes 24 Seconds. Beat my target!

Last edited:
I'm running 3 times a week, mostly between 8 and 10km's. Started running back in 2010 and did my first race (14.5km) with just 3 months of training. Finished that one in 1h25', now I'm down to a 1h05' on that same distance. Mostly I do races of 10km, best time I did so far is a 42'10". The target for 2014 os going sub 40' on the 10k and sub 20' on the 5k.
In 2012 I also did my first (and last for now) marathon, but let's say I'm more a short distance runner => 4h44'03". I really don't like doing runs of +1h :yuck:

My best times:

Cooper (12 min): 2.99 km
One hour: 13.33km
1 km: 3'47"
1 mile: 6'22"
3 km: 12'04"
3 miles: 19'53"
5 km: 20'35"
10 km 42'10"
Half marathon: 1h41'09"
Marathon: 4h44'03"

Very cool Yukon. Great job on your race. it sounds like a tough course and the lack of spectators the first half wouldn't help I thought about starting a running thread also. Glad you did.👍

1) Do you run?

I am only 30 but have a long history with running. I started running in middle school and ran cross country and track in high school. I've alway loved running and would run for fitness as an adult. Mainly during the spring and summer and the hibernate in the winter. 12 months ago I decided I wanted to run a marathon and did so this October. Running is finally an important part of my life again. I feel so good during and after a long run.

2)If you're a runner, what is it you do? Do you run on the track, trail or road.

I mainly run on the road although I enjoy trail running. Unfortunately, in my area there are very few good trails to run and those are extremely hilly.

3)What kind of events to you take part in? Do you compete? Are you a short or long distance runner? 10K, Marathon, Ultra or do you run casually or for fitness?

Before this year I mainly took part in 5k's and my longest race ever was 8K. A few weeks ago I finished my first marathon. It was such an amazing experience. One of the most fulfilling things I've ever done. I now plan to run year round and race as often as I can and doing one marathon each October.

I'm back to running after the marathon. The soreness was unbelievable and so deep in my quads for four days afterwards. To sit down I had to fall into the seat rather than lower.:lol: Running that race was such a learning experience. I didn't have nearly the endurance base I needed and also pushed too early.

Here is my training plan for this week:

Monday: off
Tuesday: 5 miles
Wednesday: easy 5 miles
Thursday: yoga
Friday: 7 miles with 8x100 strides
Saturday: off
Sunday: 9 miles

Still recovering from marathon but also trying to build up my endurance base. Next 5K will be a Thanksgiving turkey run, not sure if I will race it or run with the wife,

I hope everyone has a good week of injury free running.:)

Last edited:
Nice job Manuelos. I've never raced a 10k but plan to run one or two next summer. I'll be running a 5k in a few weeks and hope to be around 19:30 but I really have no clue what I'm capable of as I've only done distance stuff and nothing with speed. My training for the week:

Monday - rest
Tuesday - 7 miles
Wednesday - 5 miles
Thursday - rest
Friday - 8 miles, 8x100 strides
Saturday - rest
Sunday - 10 miles

TWM 30

And down to a 20'08" on a 5km run :)
A sub 20' would have been super, but I couldn't have gone any faster than this.

Registered myself for my second marathon on September 14th :)
I will also participate in a 20k run in Februari the 23th and a half marathon the first of June

I'm already looking forward to those LSD runs :lol::banghead:

Registered myself for my second marathon on September 14th :)
I will also participate in a 20k run in Februari the 23th and a half marathon the first of June

I'm already looking forward to those LSD runs :lol::banghead:
Second marathon of the year or that you will have done? I plan to run my second ever again in October. I have been struggling to run lately with Christmas plus temps around 0 degrees Farenheit. I plan to run tomorrow though.

I placed an order for a Nathan Sports Endurance hydration pack a couple days ago. I was tired of my hydration belt for long runs and this has great reviews.
image.jpg

Second marathon of the year or that you will have done?
Second marathon ever. Did my first back in September 2012, but that wasn't really a big succes :D
Now I'm really planning to put the hammer down this time.
I'm also doing another half marathon on April the 20th, first 19km (pretty) flat, but the last 2k we will be going uphill (about 5% average)

@Manuelos How close together were the half and full marathon dates for the times you posted? Do you know your average weekly mileage (kilometerage:dopey::lol:) when you were training for the marathon? Even if you say you aren't good at distance those two times don't really match up like they should unless there was a big difference in conditioning at the time. Going off you half marathon PR you are a good distance runner and are capable of a 3:30-3:40ish marathon with a lot of qualifying factors obviously.

What's your goal for this marathon? It's way to early for me to know what's realistic for mine but my goal is to break into the 3:20's. Sub 8 minute miles sounds crazy to me right now though.

@Manuelos How close together were the half and full marathon dates for the times you posted?
Half marathon: 02/06/2013
Marathon: 09/09/2012

The day I did my half marathon was probably my worst day of the year. I was going around 30s/km slower than the pace I had in mind, never seemed to get into my rythm, legs felt like bricks the whole race :(
I think somewhere around a 1h33 should be possible if I have a "normal" day

Do you know your average weekly mileage (kilometerage:dopey::lol:) when you were training for the marathon?
Between 30 & 58km / week, which is/was obvisually not enough :P

Going off you half marathon PR you are a good distance runner and are capable of a 3:30-3:40ish marathon with a lot of qualifying factors obviously.
Yes I know, I justed lacked a bit of training :D

What's your goal for this marathon?
I really don't know yet. Definitely sub 4:00, although I would like to go sub 3:30.
I'll see how training goes. If it goes really well I'll probably start for a 3:30

I will also participate in a 20k run in Februari
Finished in 1h27'59", which is 25s/km faster than last year when I did the half marathon :)
Took the first 5k quite carefully and everything felt ok. Then I gradually increased my pace and still had the power to do a small "sprint" the last 200m :sly:

kortemark_zpsbf87f1c7.jpg

And last month I also impoved my best 10k time to a 41'14"

Nice job on the races and P.R.'s. I'm maintaining my base and trying to increase mileage but February is going to have less miles than January.:( Upcoming races for me are 5K April 2nd, 8K April 26th, 1.5 mile Time Trial with over 500 feet elevation gain May 3rd, and maybe a half marathon middle of May.

I'm going to take a few weeks of rest now. My achilles are a bit sensitive the day after a run (it's been like this already a few months, but the last few weeks it started to get worse) I'm probably going to have to cancel a few races, but I don't want to take any risks of getting seriously injured for the upcomming marathon in September.
First time in 4 years of running I have some sort of pain/injury :guilty:

Do you foam roll or use some sort of trigger/massage therapy? I really like the combination of The Stick and a foam roller. They help with soreness and tight muscles. Probably a good idea to take some rest though. I hope they feel better soon.

Since this is a running thread I want to ask what are the best budget (~70$) running shoes?

Well my running was resumed basicly due to football/soccer, but I got injured quite badly in the knee and within two weeks I'll be resuming running. What are your advices for preparing a half-marathon to be done around September.

Side note: I have quite large legs which are ideal for sprinting and not long-distance running. Is this a issue or I'm just fine for 21km?

Do you foam roll or use some sort of trigger/massage therapy? I really like the combination of The Stick and a foam roller. They help with soreness and tight muscles. Probably a good idea to take some rest though. I hope they feel better soon.
Nope, I don't do any exercises at all. If it doesn't get any better within 3 weeks I'm going to see some sort of sport doctor.

Since this is a running thread I want to ask what are the best budget (~70$) running shoes?
Don't be stingy when it comes to buying running shoes. I visited a running shop where they did some sort of test to see how I ran. That way they could see if I needed some sort of stability in places.

What are your advices for preparing a half-marathon to be done around September.
Just start by doing small runs and just keep increasing your distance. There are dozens of training schemes to be found on the internet. Do one long run (LSD) per week and increase the distance by 10% every time. So week 1 - 10km, week 2 - 11km - week 3 - 12,1km - week 4 -11km - week 5 - 13,3km - week 6 - 14,6km
Build up 3 weeks, and than every 4th week you decrease your LSD run by 10%.

Side note: I have quite large legs which are ideal for sprinting and not long-distance running. Is this a issue or I'm just fine for 21km?
In my opinion everyone can do a 21km. Just don't start training like a maniac or you'll get injuried.
If your goal is just finishing than just focus on Long - Slow runs.

Looking to start barefoot running in the coming months. I've been reading a lot to make sure I know as much as I can and reasearching runs in my area.

I may be picking up some Vivobarefoot shoes early next week and hopefully once the Vibram Bikila Evo 2014 come into stock in April I'll be running in those.

I've very unfit and this is my atempt to increase cardio to help with my Golf and compliment my Cycling for this year.

Looking to start barefoot running in the coming months. I've been reading a lot to make sure I know as much as I can and reasearching runs in my area.

I may be picking up some Vivobarefoot shoes early next week and hopefully once the Vibram Bikila Evo 2014 come into stock in April I'll be running in those.

I've very unfit and this is my atempt to increase cardio to help with my Golf and compliment my Cycling for this year.
I honestly would recommend running for years before thinking about getting into barefoot/minimalist running. It can increase the risk of certain injuries like calf strains and achilles tendon injuries if your body isn't used to it. Barefoot shoes typically have 0mm or close heel drop while typical running shoes are close to 10mm. It doesn't sound like a big difference but in terms of extra impact on your legs it's huge. IMHO you have to ask yourself why do you need barefoot or minimalist running? If it's to compliment golf and cycling like you said you don't really need barefoot funning but traditional running shoes would probably be good for you. Like Manuelos said to the previous poster find a GOOD running store with knowledgable staff and they can lead you in the right direction.

Well my running was resumed basicly due to football/soccer, but I got injured quite badly in the knee and within two weeks I'll be resuming running. What are your advices for preparing a half-marathon to be done around September.

I agree with Maneulos you don't want to buy cheap shoes so find a good running store. Having said that Sketcher Gorun Ride 3 are $80 and supposed to be decent but that doesn't mean they are right for you. Another option is finding last years model of a shoe that has been updated and has the price slashed. I wear Brooks PureFlow 2 which have been cut to $70 because the 3's just came out.

Look into Hal Higdon's Marathon book or check out his website halhigdon.com. It has good half marathon plans for beginner runners. Here is an example http://halhigdon.com/training/51312/Half-Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program

His plans are more to get you to the finish line versus training hard and doing your absolute best.

Last edited:
The reason is, in the better weather I normally walk around in VFF and I'm bearfoot around the house, garden and local places.

TBH if I could be shoeless everywhere I would, it feels much better.

Bashing your heels at every step, even in shoes with thicker soles seems silly. Your foot isn't designed to be used that way.

Achilles problems arise when people don't adjust thier step gate and try to run like they do in normal running shoes, a shorter gate and proper technique will stop that.

Most of the achilles injuries start because the person goes from heel striker with cushion to forefoot striker without cushion, putting strain on their achilles. I considered minimalist shoes also but decided it wasn't worth the injury risk for me and went with 4mm heel drop shoes but decent sole. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying evaluate your situation to decide if you should. It sounds like you have. Most people that tried it just read about the benefits and jumped straight into it without thinking it through.

Do you run?

If you're a runner, what is it you do? Do you run on the track, trail or road? What kind of events to you take part in? Do you compete? Are you a short or long distance runner? 10K, Marathon, Ultra or do you run casually or for fitness?

Share stories about the runs you've taken part in.

Are you not a runner and would like to start, but don't know how? Ask anything about it in here!

I regulary run when I need to catch the train, just today I ran as fastest I could while it was raining and came to the station 10 minutes earlier all sweaty. I guess you could say I run.

@mcfizzle I agree with you a lot of people jump on the barefoot/minimalist running without giving it full consideration because if the current hype etc.

I've been reading a lot of the pro's/con's and for me it fits a personal lifestyle choice.

I've also been talking to a friend at work who started running last year who mainly swam open water or Cycled. Her husband is a triathlete who has run barefoot (quite literally) and has found he is got some injuries but fixed them with a change in technique.

This is his blog but he doesn't post much.

Ok guys, I didn't realise how unfit I actually was. I know I do mild exercise like a bit of cycling and hitting a few balls every now an again at the range but doing my first run today was an eye opener.

I haven't run in about 15 years though :D I ran about 1.5 miles today. I did it in stop starts to break myself in. This is where I was running...

Run.jpg
Taken with iPhone.

I running in these...

IMG_1557.JPG

I really enjoyed it and I'll be out again tomorrow.

Nice job @Sprite. Keep it up.

I'm still in the process of building up my weekly mileage. January (80 miles) and February (60 miles) were decent but inconsistent for me. I'm not as far along as I'd hoped to be but March is looking good with 26 miles this week and up to 36 the last week of the month for a total of 135 miles for the month. What's kind of crazy is 140 miles was the peak month for me during my marathon training last year. The plan I will follow this year starts at 54 miles/week and peaks at 70/week.:nervous: It should be interesting.

We have a lot of paved roads and to get to where I was yesterday it requires some road running.

Did my second run and eeked out a little more on my first stint. Feeling my calf's burning i slowed my pace a little and did smaller stints on the return leg. today is going to be a rest day then push again tomorrow. once back at work it will be smaller runs later in the evening around 8:00pm.

I ordered two more pairs of Brooks PureFlow 2's today. I got them on clearance for $50 a pair and $100 for two. They normally retail for $100 so a great deal. I had to get them in blue rather than my normal orange but they will still do the job.

Heading out for 8 miles right now. 26 for the week after this run.

image.jpg

Edit: after my 8 miler today I did 26 for the week.

Next week is 29 miles:

Mon: rest
Tues: 4
Wed: 7
Thur: 4
Fri: rest
Sat: 5
Sun: 9

Last edited:
I also bought another pair of shoes. Went for the Saucony Omni 12.
Tomorrow I'm going for a small test run after 15 days of rest. In those days I went swimming once and tracked about 120km on the mountainbike.

2317727-p-4x.jpg

Back