The Highway Girl: Page 9 - The New Reina

AY0F3052_SZME_1.jpg

Keisuke Style. Nice... but I like the car behind it more.

Speaking of Keisuke, watch out for the references using him. ;)

Anyways, I have the drawn the rest of The Dream Alliance members (Takanori, Nobuhiko, and Ricky). The drawings will be posted along the next page.

Page 2 - Zenki and Kouki

After a long, trans-Atlantic flight, we arrived at LAX airport in California. I am just so weary. Long haul flights are definitely not my thing, even though I tend to travel a lot around the world.

The next morning, Axel is just shaking my tired, lazy body. I just realized that it's already 10 in the morning. The bed in this hotel room is just the best one I had ever lied on. Man, I could buy a bed like that.

Axel: "Wake up, lazy bum! Today, we shall go to Laguna Seca to test out the car we'll use for the Tuner Challenge!"

Takuma: "All right, all right."

After a brief shower and putting on clothes, we head down to the lobby. We meet up with a man named Chris who turns out to be Axel's childhood friend. After introducing myself to him, we head out to Laguna Seca. It's a long drive...

When we arrived, I see a blue Mazda RX-7 FD3S. Well, that's a great base car for tuning.

Chris: "Here it is. I believe you have driven this already."

Takuma: "Indeed. And I own one of those. It's not surprising if you manage to get just the Zenki model."

Axel: "Zenki what?"

Takuma: "Zenki models are the early models, while Kouki models are the later models. Here in the USA, only the Zenki model FD RX-7 was sold in just a span of 3 years. Japan continued to produce Kouki models until 2002."

Axel: "I see... Never knew that such terms exist."

Chris: "Even enthusiasts here know those terms, Axel. Don't be surprised that there is a huge number of JDM sports cars here in this country."

Axel: "I know, it's just that I never heard those terms before. And that's the only RX-7 model I saw even in Europe. I wonder what the Kouki model looks like."

Takuma: "Chances of seeing those are slim. And even if you did, you would most likely see Zenki models donning Kouki model parts. Ha."

Axel: "Oh well. Let's get on it."

As you all know, I own a heavily-tuned Zenki model FD with Kouki model parts.

8453311914_cdb4ac7575_c.jpg

And I can tell their differences especially in performance aspect. I have driven a Kouki model too, albeit just borrowed from a friend.

8452221505_97b4deb6ba_c.jpg

The FD is no doubt one of the best-handling cars in the world. Even cars of today struggle to reach that ideal 50:50 weight distribution.

8452221425_8e5841fc7d_c.jpg

But the Zenki model is criticized for having too much oversteer. The Kouki easily cured that, but still maintaining that magical weight distribution.

8452221327_44cb78a96b_c.jpg

And the pickup is rather sluggish, despite the fact it's a twin turbo engine we're talking about.

I returned to the pits in order to tell them my initial impressions.

Takuma: "Hmmmm... the engine needs a rebuild. And the turbos are rather lazy. Is the secondary turbo even working?"

Chris: "Don't worry, we'll work on it. And besides Axel is your partner, right? He will be a great tuner."

Axel: "Hearing those words from Takuma already makes me so pressured."

Takuma: "I'm sorry, Axel onii-san. I just have to be honest. I own an FD too."

Then we hear another roaring sound. Axel is wondering what it is. Heh, but it sounds familiar to me.

8452221215_6f32b4da7b_c.jpg

Axel: "Another RX-7?"

Takuma: "What you see blow past by is the Kouki model."

Axel: "I've never seen an RX-7 in that form."

8452221123_262e58c76a_c.jpg

Axel: "Although it has the same basic sound as our RX-7, there's something that differs it. Hmmmm...."

Takuma: "What are you talking about? That one is equipped with an aftermarket exhaust."

Axel: "I know that, but..."

8453311392_bbc9423359_c.jpg

I gotta commend Axel for that. He knows a lot about engines.

8453311336_2b0523efc4_c.jpg

8452220841_724b06c6aa_c.jpg

The moment it returns to the pit lane, I have to go take a leak.

Axel: "A woman?"

Chris: "Oh, her name is Jessie Jane. She is also a participant for the Tuner Challenge."

Jessie: "Nice RX-7 you have. Are you planning to join the Tuner Challenge?"

Axel: "Yes. And we are having first impressions for the car that we could use for our tuning."

Jessie: "It looks like it needs work. Anyway, I want to show you what's underneath the hood of my RX-7."

When I returned, I see them looking at that black FD's engine. Axel looks visibly surprised.

Axel: "So that's why..."

Chris: "Huh?"

Axel: "What I heard a while back is the way the turbo sounded."

Takuma: "Such a sharp sense of hearing."

Jessie: "I did a...

...single turbo conversion."

End of Page 2

8453341834_02253d8f1d_c.jpg

I have only come up with a sketch of Takanori. I have to repeat sketching on Nobuhiko and Ricky. I am struggling with their hairstyles. :P

Last edited:
I actually think I can guess who Jessie is... (Kyoko from Initial D, that single-turbo...)

Takuma's character is a mix of Bleach's Ichigo Kurosaki (for his tough guy image) and Keisuke Takahashi of Initial D (racing prowess and fighting spirit).

I intended to make Takuma's character as that because I read both Initial D and Bleach and those are my favorite characters as well.

As a result, this makes him my favorite in my stories. :P

Page 3 - The Hill

Okay, we're back in the hotel. I am still bewildered as to why would someone convert a twin turbo setup to a single unit. Even Axel nii-san is fascinated with that innovative way of tuning.

While he is busy browsing the internet in his laptop, I am just taking a nap on that very comfortable bed. If only I could take that home...

And now he's is complaining, that I snore too loud. Hehehehehe.... I just need a nice sleep just to recover from that long flight.

Axel: "Stop snoring! You have to get up and see this!"

Takuma: "Whaaaaat... I need sleep."

Axel: "We will join the Tuner Challenge's event called "The Hill". It will be held in Nevada. This is our chance to prove ourselves!"

Takuma: "So, how's the FD?"

Axel: "I'm afraid we have a little budget left from The Dream Alliance's funds. After all the money spent on extra parts for that 24 hour race last year."

Takuma: "I don't mind chipping in."

Axel: "Some basic tuning will come first. The car will have coilover suspension and installed air filters, sports exhaust system, sports ECU, and LSD. Carbon fiber hood and aftermarket rims improve the look somehow."

Takuma: "So, you did take some money from the funds, huh?"

Axel: "Indeed. But I also chipped in. I have done the best I could as a tuner."

Takuma: "Just tell me in advance next time, okay?"

I'm going to give Takanori a concussion. Why spend so much on extra parts? Well, better be safe than sorry, though.

Takuma: "Anyways, why is it called "The Hill"?"

Axel: "As the name implies, it is held on a hilly course. It is basically a time trial and duels can also happen to prove aspiring tuners who are the best."

Takuma: "I see. When will it happen?"

Axel: "Two days from now. Chris is already working on the FD as we speak."

At dinnertime, while I am busy opening the take out Chinese food, Takanori calls up.

Takuma: "Hello there, little dummy. Why call up?"

Takanori: "I didn't know that one of our grandparents is still alive. Mom called me up to inform me that he is celebrating his 100th birthday. In fact, he wants to see us. When will you go back to Japan?"

Takuma: "After this Tuner Challenge thing is over. What are you doing now?"

Takanori: "Packing stuff. We're heading back to Japan tomorrow with Kokoro and little Ben. Besides, little Ben will be back to school soon."

Takuma: "I see. Well, take care."

Two days later, we arrive in Nevada. The FD looks neat, and I like its sleeper look. Though it's just lightly tuned. I am seeing tons and tons of seriously modified cars. I think that our FD would be a laughingstock.

Axel: "I'm nervous. How can I fulfill a dream of opening a tuning shop in Germany if we look like losers in front of this crowd?"

Chris: "I'm sure they put over a hundred grand on tinkering those toys."

Takuma: "So it is an organized event by FIA, huh? I am seeing a stage here and lots of dancing girls."

Axel: "Timed runs have actually started. All we have to do is just register and then we can run."

Then I see a woman coming up on the stage. She is the host, I think.

"Wow! I'm seeing lots of seriously good-looking cars here! Good day! My name is Julie Chan and I am with you until the event ends. I'm seeing partying down there. Hey, can I join in your drinking session down there? Haha! Just kidding! Anyway... oh look, there they are!"

8457787347_2725fecdcf_c.jpg

A big Yank Tank... Well, that's typical.

8457787235_b6f241ec5c_c.jpg

Julie: "Whoa! Denver Jane is here! He is the defending King of The Hill! What a pleasant surprise!"

8458889296_731ee5f086_c.jpg

Julie: "And look, he brought his little sister along! Jessie Jane follows in her brother's footsteps, huh? Her RX-7 means serious business!"

8457786809_f09d98fcc5_c.jpg

That single turbo FD, huh? Hmmmm.... I guess that Mustang too is seriously worked-up. The siblings head up the stage, and Denver takes the microphone.

Denver: "Bigger crowd, eh? But are they better than last year?"

Julie: "Oh... hehe. Let's find out, shall we?"

Denver: "Last year, I've encountered some group of Ricers in their Civics and Lancers. They're just awful. They lined up and challenged me. I left them by a mile."

Julie: "By the looks of it, those are heavily modified cars. I wonder how much they spend on those?"

Axel is registering, and I am taking a look around. All I see are candy-colored cars with heavily tuned engines and wide body kits. So, the U.S. tuner scene is no different from Japan's tuner scene, huh? The fact is, they're inspired from our country so much that they have to adapt our style of tuning as well.

Axel: "Hey, we can run now!"

Takuma: "Good. Let's get this over with."

I have lined up at the starting line. The organizers prepare their stopwatches.

Julie: "Another RX-7 doing the run. I want one! You know, I am finding it hard to buy a used RX-7 here. I want especially the FD model! Any ideas where to get one, Jessie?"

Jessie: "Well, even I had a tough time looking for a decent RX-7. I luckily found mine and it turned out that it came all the way from Japan. That answers the question why my RX-7 is RHD. I didn't bother converting it, or it would be risky. The truth is, it is easy to find an RX-7, but the hard part is if the unit is reliable."

And I'm off. I am feeling the difference in power.

8458888976_996562ae05_c.jpg

With the coilover suspension, cornering is improved. So does the braking.

8457786433_58014dbe32_c.jpg

8457786183_44e9ed9f78_c.jpg

I am already falling for this car. I miss my FD back home...

8457785945_be58b4ff4c_c.jpg

Huh? The road becomes uneven suddenly....

8457785725_71b7449405_c.jpg

In the next corner, time to do a bit of powerslide. Oh shoot! Snap oversteer! I'm heading to the guardrail!

8457785443_107f8bc0f2_c.jpg
\

Great, I've done it again. Though this time, I didn't take the guardrail with me. I knew it... even the FD can get cranky.

I get out of the car to check the damage. The right suspension is totally ruined. Dammit! I should have worked on my accelerator control! Sorry, Nii-san....

I returned with a disappointing face. I am also feeling bad for Axel nii-san.

Axel: "We need to buy a new suspension unit."

Takuma: "Sorry, I have wasted your money on those. I wasn't good enough."

Axel: "Don't blame yourself. I always believe that you are in your best form."

Takuma: "This time, I will help you with the tuning. And I am willing to spend whatever amount just to make it competitive."

Axel: "But..."

Takuma: "I have to make it up to you. I was so cold to you before, and I didn't accept you as my half-brother then. I have to help you. I'm obliged."

Axel nii-san is part of the Kanonji family! I have to make him feel it! I want to see his dreams being fulfilled!

End of Page 3

Page 4 - Reborn

I can see in Axel nii-san's gloomy face how his hard work have just shattered. The suspension unit was sourced from Germany and he spent a lot for those. He is just staring at the car's damaged right suspension, and I can't help but feel really bad and guilty.

I have volunteered to source all the new parts, this time from no other than Kaido from Japan. Now, it's just a matter of time before they can arrive.

Axel: "Takuma, when will those parts arrive?"

Takuma: "It'll take days. I already told him to ship them via FedEx."

Axel: "Don't feel so guilty. It's my fault that I didn't set the car right."

Takuma: "Nah, it really is my fault. The driver still matters."

Axel: "Do you think that we could recover that FD? We have a week left before the next "The Hill" run."

Takuma: "That, I cannot say."

We are about to leave Chris' garage, but Axel just stayed behind instead.

Takuma: "Don't you want to return to the hotel?"

Axel: "I want to spend some more time on the RX-7. I wonder why you love it."

Takuma: "Ride with me next time. You'll see why..."

I returned alone to the hotel by evening. Man, I feel so bad.

The next morning, I am awakened by that noisy telephone. I didn't ask for a wake-up call!

Takuma: "Hello?"

Axel: "This is a nice wake-up call for you. The parts you ordered have already arrived. Chris is scratching his head when he sees so many boxes and he has no idea how to dispose them. Hehehehe... But he is amazed at the contents. Come over here."

Takuma: "Really? That fast?"

Axel: "Even I can't believe it. Besides, you want to help with the tuning, right?"

Takuma: "Of course."

With no time to lose, I immediately take a shower and dress up.

I arrived at the garage, and I am just happy to see the parts. Kaido sure is a very reliable person.

Axel: "Let's get down to business."

Chris: "Yeah."

We spend the entire day installing the parts. Though I think the FD needs a repaint.

Takuma: "Hmmm... I think it needs a new color. A brighter shade of blue will do."

Chris: "No problem."

Axel: "After this thing is done, let's head to Laguna Seca to test it out."

A few days just before "The Hill" event, we head to Laguna Seca to do a proper shakedown of the car. Curious on how it looks like?

Well, this!

8459581751_2426d0784a_c.jpg

Takuma: "Amazing! Just amazing!"

8459581599_2ff16bc0ae_c.jpg

Takuma: "With this, I can easily beat a Lan EVO or a GT-R!"

Axel: "Wow... even with that increased power, you have it total control."

8459581487_c2f5ec00bc_c.jpg

8460682230_a0e3c8c5eb_c.jpg

Axel: "And your accelerator control... I never realized that it's such a sight to behold! By the looks of it, you're like playing with the pedals!"

8459581225_7f16976e6e_c.jpg

Takuma: "On to the Corkscrew!"

Axel: "Precise accelerator inputs! You're burying it down inch by inch!"

8460681974_753599a21a_c.jpg

Takuma: "As laps go by, the more you want to drive it! This is my idea of a proper sports car!"

8460681858_07c46ce630_c.jpg

Takuma: "That surge of power, I love it!"

I decided to cool down a bit by returning to the pit lane. I light up a stick of cigarette and smoke it. My goodness, I love the car.

Takuma: "This feels great! It has lots of horsepower now. And it feels like a street-legal version of my orange FD!"

Axel: "Wow, even though this is just a shakedown, you already have the car in total control!"

Takuma: "Remember, I own an FD. So it's just normal for me to familiarize another one easily."

Axel: "Impressive bodykit you ordered."

Takuma: "It's not just the wide body, but that wing also helps. I can now hit the throttle in areas that I used to back off because of oversteer."

Axel: "And those new turbos are helpful as well. The car now has 480 PS. It may seem modest, but seeing it how it performs here makes it a monster on the track."

Takuma: "With this, I am not afraid to take on any opponent."

Axel: "So, ready for the weekend?"

Takuma: "Indeed. Get ready, Axel. Your name will shine this weekend, I promise."

End of Page 4

I used this as a reference for this page (start at 2:20):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGSIUnhP2WM

:lol:

8459761115_16794b107b_c.jpg

Last edited:
The story will be extended as I will insert another main character.

He is what he's called "The Third Courier", and just like Takuma, his name is also a pun of a famous Japanese F1 driver.

What is The Third Courier? Find out soon!

Next page is

Single vs. Twin

To be posted later.

There will be changes:

I will remove the HPA 565 Audi TT and the Art Morrison Corvette.

And I will replace them with these:

Spoon CR-Z
Honda CR-Z TC
Volvo C30 R-Design
Acura NSX RM

Last edited:
Page 5 - Single vs. Twin

Once again, we go to Nevada to join another "The Hill" event. This time, the FD attracted some onlookers. To think that it has all the genuine RE Amemiya parts, it really stole the attention of enthusiasts.

Once again, the host comes up on stage, and she's hot as the weather today. I even have to wear a sleeveless shirt to fight the heat!

Julie: "Greetings once again! Julie Chan here! And wow, I am seeing more people! I tell ya, the Tuner Challenge is getting more and more intense! Oh, Jessie is here today."

Jessie: "Yes, thank you Julie. Hmmmm.... I'm seeing a crowd over there. Maybe I can take a look."

Oh no. I have attracted the attention of that woman.

Jessie: "Oh, it's an RE Amemiya RX-7! And wow! Is this a dream? Takuma Kanonji-san is here!"

Is this an interview? I don't like ambush interviews, really.

Takuma: "Yes it is. To tell you the truth, this is the one that crashed last week."

Jessie: "Oh I see. Hmmmm.... you know, we share the same favorites. I like the FD RX-7 too. Care to race?"

Indeed. I want to race you, actually.

Takuma: "Sure, why not?"

Jessie: "It's such an honor racing you! Too bad my brother is not here to see this. Okay then, the stage of battle is set! We'll do a duel!"

A duel, you say?

Jessie: "Here are the rules, I'll be at the front, and you'll chase me. Once you close the gap or overtake me, you'll win. If I outrun you, then I win. If there is no change in gap between us, then we'll do a second run and switch places."

Takuma: "I see. So we're doing a Touge Max showdown American version, huh?"

Jessie: "Oh, you're familiar with it?"

Well, my people came up with it, duh.

Takuma: "Let's go."

Axel: "Remember, her FD runs a single turbo setup. I'm sure you'll be able to beat her."

Everyone is cheering once we lined up for the start. What is a single turbo setup, really? I can't really make it out as to why some tuners use that setup.

Then the flag is waved. And we're off!

singletwin1_zpsa0873928.jpg

Whoa, her FD rockets away! I assume that her car has more power. But then again, why use a single turbo setup to gain more power?

singletwin2_zpse0eefa44.jpg

Her FD corners well. Once again, the road surface has gotten rough.

Even with that kind of road condition, my opponent runs smoothly. It's normal since she runs here often. Time to work on my accelerator control.

I have to cut it in half... 1 cm. And another 1 cm.

singletwin3_zps652d25dc.jpg

Damn! Too much! Even this is a chore! I thought I have mastered it all along! My training for that technique... I remember that in my Zonda R.

But if I let off, she'll run away.

singletwin4_zps371fdfc8.jpg

Jessie: "Wow! I've never met an opponent who can keep up with me at this rate. I think this would be fun!

Let's go, 13B turbo. I won't lose!

singletwin5_zps1b80f402.jpg

Jessie: "He is the Takuma Kanonji. There are lots of winding roads in Japan, right? So that means he knows the intricacies of a winding road! I thought he only races on the track..."

singletwin6_zps8dbfed24.jpg

singletwin7_zps86539fdf.jpg

So that's it! I finally get it! A single turbo's weakness!

singletwin8_zps678b5cb1.jpg

If you are running smoothly, then it should be no problem. But if you make a mistake, then it's game over! That setup is useless on winding roads! You need low-end grunt!

singletwin9_zps4832f0d9.jpg

Jessie: "Shoot, the boost dropped!"

Her FD's boost dropped down! All right, I'll show you the twin turbo's lack of lag!

singletwin10_zpsfae7a4ab.jpg

singletwin11_zps33752172.jpg

Jessie: "No! Don't pass me! I want to run longer! I want to continue running with you..."

singletwin12_zps99295bed.jpg

Today's battle is a learning experience for me. I gotta commend you, Jessie. You have potential.

singletwin13_zps9f09dbd7.jpg

Meanwhile, in Tsukuba Circuit in Japan:

spooncrz1_zps4f1f0cbe.jpg

spooncrz2_zps79423237.jpg

spooncrz3_zps1c70d79c.jpg

spooncrz4_zps3849a851.jpg

End of Page 5

Page 6 - The Tennis Player

As soon as the race has ended, I joined with Axel and Chris. The crowd simply could not believe what had transpired. But I admit she is a tough adversary.

Axel: "Nice job."

Chris: "You'll attract that Denver Jane's attention for sure. He loves his sister very much."

Takuma: "Then bring it on, then."

Axel: "So, have you learned something from that battle?"

Takuma: "I just realized it. The single turbo is peaky, and while it may offer lots of power, it only works on the high rpm range. It is useful on a drag strip, but on a track or a winding road, it's more of an engine ornament, really. When I disturbed that black FD's rhythm, the setup's weakness finally came to light."

Axel: "Very nice observation there."

Takuma: "But as a tuner, you won today. I love the way you set up the FD. It's really aimed at balance which the car is truly known for."

Axel: "Let's go home. Today is such a nice day for us."

When we returned to the hotel, I immediately opened my laptop and check on the latest on FIA. The next Tuner Challenge event will be moved to Japan now after the local government of Nevada decided to not to grant the organizers the permit to hold races on that winding road anymore. Besides, I'm homesick.

Damn, it's another long haul flight. 18 hours, to be exact. We arrived at Haneda Airport at early morning. We brought along the FD, just to eat Takanori's Elise. Hehehehehe....

I hopped on the bed immediately once I arrived home. Axel and Chris stay at the guest room for the time being.

The next day, I am invited as a guest instructor at a high school for a Home Economics subject. I will teach a class some of my cooking techniques. While the session is on going, I notice a student struggling to chop vegetables. I asked the instructor for the student's name, and he is named as Samui Kobayashi. The instructor told me that he has rather poor grades when it comes to cooking. In other aspects of Home Economics, he is doing good, on the other hand.

I approached the young man.

Takuma: "Seems that you're having trouble there, Samui-kun."

Samui: "Uh... um... I'm okay, Takuma-sensei."

Takuma: "Here, I'll teach you how to do a proper Julienne."

I demonstrate to him how. Samui-kun looks at me in awe.

Samui: "Wow, that's a fine cut!"

Takuma: "Now you do it."

Samui: "O... Okay."

Takuma: "Just relax. And believe yourself. Everyone can cook. You don't even have to enroll in a culinary arts school to be a good cook. I'm not even a chef in a restaurant! You cook because you want to make people satisfied when they're hungry.

He does it properly now. Even though that was slow, he's getting the hang of it.

After the session, the entire class applauds at me and their instructor gave me a plaque of appreciation.

While I am walking through the corridor, I see Samui alone sitting on a bench. He looks at the school's tennis court. I sit with him and pat his back.

Takuma: "Seems that you have a rough day, huh?"

Samui: "No. I actually learned a lot today, thanks to you."

Takuma: "But you don't look so happy."

Samui: "Sigh... Whenever I look at that tennis court, I am reminded of the days when Nobuhiko-senpai and I used to play tennis. I can never beat him. His serve and volleys are really hard to anticipate. He was the school's team captain and whenever there were tennis competitions, he always makes the team win. There were times that things got hopeless, and Nobuhiko-senpai stepped in and made the team take the victory at the end."

Takuma: "I miss Nobuhiko too. He was one of the greatest drivers I have ever known. And he kept his humility despite the popularity he got.

You know, to cheer you up, why don't we play for a while? Is it okay?"

Samui: "Sure."

To be honest, I'm not that good in Tennis. I just want to make him feel better. He puts on his tennis apparel and he lent me a racket.

We start to play, the moment he served, the tennis ball is already right in front of me! Shoot! Whew, good thing I managed to volley it back to him.

He executes a strong volley. So strong in fact that the ball came up to me very fast and instead of managing to volley it back, the ball hits my head.

Samui: "Are you okay? Please forgive me!"

Takuma: "It's okay. I suck at tennis. Hehehehe. Hey, you're really good at this! How about teaching me? Haha!"

Samui: "I feel better now. Back then, I can't catch up with Nobuhiko-senpai's moves."

Takuma: "If he's my opponent now, then I'll be dead meat."

Samui: "I wish he's here with us today. He was my true source of inspiration. He's in a higher batch, and actually he's not my classmate. But he was a great mentor to me."

Takuma: "Same here. I wish he lived longer and spend more happy moments with our racing team."

When tennis is over and as I head out to the gate, Samui-kun approaches me happily.

Samui: "Thanks a lot, Takuma-sensei! I feel a lot better now! It's truly a nice day."

Takuma: "It's nice meeting you."

Samui: "Nice meeting you too. Take care!"

As I bid farewell, I see the boy's happy face shining under the bright summer sun. It feels good when you make someone happy.

End of Page 6

8461736380_a1a5d60842_c.jpg

Last edited:
Page 7 - The Prophecy

It's a hot Wednesday afternoon. My goodness, it's really hot! Temperatures soar up to 38 degrees Celsius. Cold soba noodles are popular this season, and I just made one for myself as a snack.

I am looking for a canned soda in the refrigerator. But since I could not find one, I decided to head out to the convenience store nearby and grab a lot of them. Oh crap, I have completely forgotten to stock up the fridge. I'll go to the grocery tomorrow.

After paying at the cashier, I bumped into Samui-kun. He is on his way home, I think...

Samui: "I'm sorry, Takuma-sensei!"

Takuma: "Hey, hey, spare me the honorifics, okay? You can call me by my first name only."

Samui: "But you taught and saved me from a failing grade."

Takuma: "I'm not an instructor in your school. So, heading home?"

Samui: "Yes. I just stopped by here to grab a drink."

We head out together and take a leisurely walk.

Takuma: "So, where do you live?"

Samui: "I live alone in Harajuku. But I do go to Gunma every weekend to stay with my grandmother."

Takuma: "I see. Where are your parents, then? Why are you not living with them?"

Samui: "My mother died last year from leukemia. My father died just days after I was born because of a road accident."

Takuma: "I'm sorry to hear that."

Samui: "But I knew a lot about my father thanks to my mother's stories. I am living happily with Obaasan. I am helping her out in her flower shop business."

Takuma: "That's good."

Samui: "Takuma-sensei, how's life as a racer?"

Takuma: "Well, you'll learn a lot. You get to familiarize all sorts of racetracks around the world while honing your skills, and it's also a great way to relieve stress."

Samui: "Judging from your achievements, you seem to enjoy that life."

Takuma: "Indeed. And you'll also meet friends along the way. It also teaches you the value of teamwork, much in the same vein as your tennis."

Samui: "But you know, I find tennis a bit boring now. I want to do something new. I am even wondering why Nobuhiko-senpai enjoyed racing as much you do."

Takuma: "He had to fulfill his and his father's dreams. He was very successful in doing that, and he died happily."

Samui: "But in racing, you also put your life at risk. In tennis, that's not the case."

Takuma: "That's true. But if you have the skill and determination, you will come out on top whatever challenge you face."

Suddenly, my phone rings. I have to excuse myself to answer it. It's Takanori, and I think it's urgent.

Takuma: "Yo, what's up?"

Takanori: "Our great grandfather invited us for dinner. He has something to say to us. Bring Axel along as well. Actually, he only invited just the three of us."

Takuma: "Okay, okay. I'll be there."

Huh, I never knew that we still have a great grandfather present in the family. I wonder what made him summon us.

Samui: "Hey, it was nice talking to you. Well, here's the train station, I gotta go. Bye!"

Takuma: "Take care."

At 7 in the evening, I arrived at what it turns out to be a Kanonji clan ancestral home at the edge of Tokyo. We're a clan, huh? Not even Takanori knows about it.

So, Takanori, Axel, and I sit on one side of the table. We are waiting for that great grandfather. According to Takanori, he's 100 years old.

And then he finally arrives. He wears a traditional kimono and hakama. What's strange, is that he has a katana with him. Is he going to execute us?

Takanori: "Good evening, Musashi-ojiisan."

Musashi: "Thank you for arriving on such short notice. The food will be served after a while. Now, let me tell you the reason why I invited you here."

Takuma: "What is it?"

Musashi: "The prophecy will be foretold soon."

Takanori: "What prophecy?"

Musashi: "In every 3 generations, there are the so-called The Three Couriers that are believed to be the people that brought glory to our clan for centuries."

Takuma: "The Three Couriers?"

Musashi: " Ever since the Edo period, the Kanonji Clan is known in history as the fastest couriers in Japan. Daimyos around the country would even fight against each other for them. We are known for speed."

Takanori: "Of course! Look at us, we're racing car drivers!"

Musashi: "I thank you for bringing glory to the Kanonji name. But you have a mission."

Takuma: "What is it?"

Musashi: "You need to find "The Third Courier". Your generation has spawned The Third Courier. You and Takanori are the Couriers."

Takanori: "What about Axel-oniisan?"

Musashi: "Oh ho. He's not a pure-blooded Kanonji, I'm afraid."

I can see disappointment once again in Axel's face. I'll console him later on...

Takuma: "And if we found this Third Courier, what shall we do?"

Musashi: "Nurture him. He has to be prepared for the upcoming war."

Takanori: "War!?"

Is he serious, or just senile?

Takuma: "Does this involve fighting?"

Musashi: "Oh don't worry, this won't involve blood. Our pride, on the other hand, is on the line.

We have a rival clan. They are the Akiyama clan. They are the only ones that can rival us in speed. They have excellent strategies to come up with, so prepare yourselves."

Takuma: "So, we're competing each other in mail delivery?"

Musashi: "Speed is the one being discussed here. Well, the descendants of the Akiyama clan currently own a parcel delivery service known for their timeliness. I have also heard that there are some of them involved in professional racing as well. That's where we'll shine, since you two excel in that field."

Takuma: "Well, we don't own a parcel delivery service, so I guess we'll do it by racing."

Musashi: "Indeed."

Then the dinner has been served. Obviously, Axel is not in the mood for eating, and he has barely touched his sashimi.

After dinner, Takanori and Musashi continued on discussing about the clan, I followed Axel, who is just outside wanting to catch a breeze.

Takuma: "Yo, you need company?"

Axel: "Well, it's just okay. I knew from the very start that I am not a true Kanonji at all."

Takuma: "Don't let that bring you down. You are a Kanonji! Even if you're not this "The Third Courier" thing, you carry what a Kanonji has. Determination!"

Axel: "I'm not even known in the professional racing world nor even in the tuning world! I might as well give up on the latter too."

Takuma: "You have come this far. Don't waste your achievements. You will be a great Kanonji someday. No, in fact, you already are! And you might be the one that will exceed or surpass the likes of Kaido and Alessandro! Just believe in yourself! The Kanonji clan needs a great mechanic for this upcoming war. And that is you!"

Wow, I'm turning into Takanori, huh? Am I that good to inspire other people?

Axel: "You and Takanori are the people that I can never surpass nor equal."

Takuma: "Just think back on what you did last year at the Nurburgring 24 Hours race. If you were not our chief mechanic, we would not be what we are right now. We won't be standing here, talking to each other. We wouldn't have gotten close like what we are right now. I would not have won that race in Nevada. It doesn't matter if you can't surpass us in racing skill. You are a genius in tuning! And I can foresee that."

Axel: "Takuma..."

Takuma: "You are not alone. We're a family. We will do this together."

The next day, at Suzuka Circuit:

8464115401_cea56ae034_c.jpg

8465205694_00d08a2d14_c.jpg

8465215632_a52052ab3f_c.jpg

8464103317_35486958bb_c.jpg

8464102231_2e91e65dd2_c.jpg

End of Page 7

Last edited:
Page 8 - Demo Car

According to Chris, the next Tuner Challenge race will be held in...

...surprise, surprise, in Mt. Aso! Huh, they love organizing these events in winding roads. I wonder why.

Well anyway, I am doing grocery shopping to stock up on supplies I wasn't able to do that yesterday since I had other commitments. When my 2nd child will be born and truly settle down, I guess I will be doing this more often, or take turns with my wife.

Once again, I saw Samui-kun doing shopping as well. He is at the gardening section, looking for a fertilizer.

Takuma: "We meet again, Samui-kun."

Samui: "Oh, you surprised me, Takuma-sensei."

Takuma: "What have I told you?"

Samui: "Right.... Takuma."

Takuma: "That's better. I look at you as my equal. Hmmmm... you seem to know a lot about gardening. Oh, I forgot, you own a flower shop business."

Samui: "Picking the right fertilizer is important, especially when growing flowers for your shop."

Takuma: "Perhaps I could use your gardening tips. Especially that I plan to build my own house since that I'll be settling down soon."

Samui: "Well, I got to buy one now. I have to deliver flowers tomorrow morning and I am at the school for the whole day."

Takuma: "I see. Take care then."

He immediately grabbed the fertilizer he finally found. He pays all that he bought and leaves the premises. I like that boy's humility, who reminds me of Nobuhiko. It won't be a surprise if Nobuhiko taught him some life lessons.

Next morning at 4 am, Samui wakes up. To fight the heat, he takes a shower and then dresses up his casual clothing.

Samui: "I think this should do."

Then he puts his school uniform and shoes in his bag. He then picks up pots of sunflowers and then go out. He opens up the trunk of his yellow Spoon-tuned Honda CR-Z which turns out to be personally tuned by Tatsuru Ichishima. Taking advantage of the CR-Z's generous trunk space, he easily puts the pots in and closes the trunk.

He sets off, and he immediately floors on the throttle.

Samui: "I can't believe that I will deliver these pots of sunflowers at this hour... and ASAP! This is the first time I delivered flowers in Tokyo. I usually do it on the weekends at Gunma.

But this is the Spoon Sports' Type One demo car! 250 PS may seem impossible on a 1.5 liter VTEC Hybrid, but Ichishima-san knows every nut and bolt of every Honda engine!"

8466963413_8c482d8188_c.jpg

Samui: "I had fun with this car yesterday at Suzuka. To think that I can beat an NSX with this thing..."

8466963321_eb66524dfc_c.jpg

Samui: "And the handling is impressive, Ichishima-san put a lot of effort in the suspension and LSD to minimize torque steer."

8466963241_2e793de654_c.jpg

Samui: "But really, why do I only get to do this on deliveries? Don't I have a future on the race track?"

8466963039_96450e99f1_c.jpg

Samui: "The police might even pull me over. I just got my license last year.

I want to do something new. I want to be recognized even further. Because I am...

...Samui Kanonji!!!"

End of Page 8

Can you guess the names of these two F1 drivers?

tumblr_md4ux8jN1W1qz5su9o1_500.png

Ah yes: Kamui Kobayashi and Takuma Sato.

I actually saw Sato racing in Indycars when I saw the race at Toronto.

Back