The Hillsborough Disaster Files

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 128 comments
Ok.

Now the post I wanted to write that made me come to this thread in the first place. Found this in the "Telegraph's" site. The way the doctor being interviewed expresses himself is telling to what he saw the day before. He is (was) shocked and outraged on live TV.

Here the full article about him. Quite an interesting story, (in a very bad way) certainly not up to the standards one should expect from the UK police forces and judicial system.

And I struggle to accept the idea that the police forced them in, because the police knew that the stadium was at capacity;

No they didn't. Some officers knew the central pens had more fans than the outer pens, but they believed overall there was space.

Having requested the opening of the exit gates, Supt Marshall stated that it
did not occur to him to inform Supt Greenwood of his actions. He assumed there was
considerable space on the terraces.
After the gates were opened, the pressure was relieved,
the crowd outside was under control and fans continued to use the turnstiles.

On opening Gate C there was no instruction given to the SYP officers inside the stadium
to manage the flow and direction of the incoming crowd.

Force is the wrong word, unrestricted and unguided is perhaps better. They guided people into the central pens and made no effort to divert them to the outer pens. It's quite natural that fans, given the choice, would mostly choose the centre of a stand.

With all due respect I don't think anyone should be commenting on this matter without at the least skimming the report, that is what it's there for, to give a true account of what happened. Not lies and assumptions.

@Famine read this article. It's flow dynamics(or something similar). If you have 2 people per square metre, then everyone has free movement. As the density increases the free-will element reduces until 6 per square metre, when you are just along for the ride. If you are able to see where you are going, or are in familiar territory then you could foresee this as an individual and make a choice(okay for the home supporters), unfamiliar territory and inability to know where the crowd is heading (Liverpool supporters). Creates a different mix, doesn't it?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-disasters-happen-and-how-they-can-be-avoided

Hope I've explained to you, why none of the crowd was at fault and why it didn't require anyone to force anyone anywhere.

The people responsible for crowd safety, were the people who were to blame. What have they learned over the last 27 years that they could have learned faster if they'd acknowledged this in a somewhat faster time?

The liars should be removed from service immediately.

The CPS will not be charging two senior West Midlands policemen in relation to their force's investigation into South Yorkshire Police's conduct. Further evidence relating to three senior South Yorkshire policemen will also not be referred to prosecutors.

Three or four South Yorkshire policemen do still have charges outstanding but this decision means that no new charges are being brought forward.

Liverpool Echo

Back