The 'I didnt know that' Thread

• Thread starter MUSC4EVER
  • 717 comments
And this is why suicide is the leading cause of death for men under 35.

Because crying prevents suicide? From a personal perspective I’d have to dissagee.

You're correct.

The notion of "real" men being macho, emotionless, etc is incredibly harmful to men.

This is also true of the "real" women stereotype.

I wasn’t implying that “real men” need be macho or emotionless, but that a grown man knows that crying doesn’t prevent sadness.

And I don’t see why having aspirations of a macho stereotype to aim for must be harmful. Men need targets to attain otherwise we’d all be slobs with fragile emotions and beer guts.

Look at nature and observe that in most mammal species the dominant male usually fits into a certain sterotype if being stronger, harder, faster, sometimes smarter than the others but he’s not there because he shed a tear while watching Love Actually*.

*I’ve never seen it, I’m just assuming it’s a tear-jerker because it sounds like a chick flick.

crying doesn’t prevent sadness.
Wouldn't that also apply to a grown woman?

It's a natural expression of the feeling that the individual is experiencing (and shedding tears actually gets rid of the negative chemicals that form in your brain during intense sadness).

Men need targets to attain otherwise we’d all be slobs with fragile emotions and beer guts.
Hi. I'm a slob, 80 pounds overweight and emotionally unstable - enough to have to see a counselor once a month. I also have a Bachelor's of Science in Information Technology (just graduated May 2018) and am currently in the process of applying for jobs in my field starting at $42,500 a year with benefits.

Look at nature and observe that in most mammal species the dominant male usually fits into a certain sterotype if being stronger, harder, faster, sometimes smarter than the others
Humans are so extremely dominant on this planet that this is completely irrelevant for us. You also stated "most" mammals which pretty much tosses homo sapiens sapiens ("very wise man", A.K.A. us, the humans) out of that umbrella statement anyways.

And I don’t see why having aspersions of a macho stereotype to aim for must be harmful.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hegemonic_masculinity#Toxic_masculinity

Because crying prevents suicide? From a personal perspective I’d have to dissagee.
Lizard's point was that forcing someone to bottle up their emotions can lead to a downward spiral where they start to feel like they have no answers and no one to turn to. And then, seeing no solution, they kill themselves. The problem is more widespread in men because of statements like:
Real men don't cry when they're sad...
Because this just denies them the ability to be human like everyone else.

I'm done with this for now, but this just ticks me off in the worst way possible because it denies the existence of people like me in a so-called "ideal" of how men are supposed to be.

Wouldn't that also apply to a grown woman?

Of course.

It's a natural expression of the feeling that the individual is experiencing (and shedding tears actually gets rid of the negative chemicals that form in your brain during intense sadness).

Indeed.

Hi. I'm a slob, 80 pounds overweight and emotionally unstable - enough to have to see a counselor once a month. I also have a Bachelor's of Science in Information Technology (just graduated May 2018) and am currently in the process of applying for jobs in my field starting at $42,500 a year with benefits.

Hi. I'm fit, lean and aspire to be fitter and leaner (=faster) like the athletes I admire (you know, the pinnacle of human physical development) . I'm also a chain smoking, abusive alcoholic with substantial chemical imbalance in my brain making me prone to suicidal thoughts despite being happily married, employed in a respectable job and living a dream life in the Tropics. I didn't realise this was some sort of personal achievement competition, I thought this was the I Didn't Know That thread.

Anything starting with "In Gender Studies" is never going to be something I take seriously. Sounds like feminazi propaganda to me.

Lizard's point was that forcing someone to bottle up their emotions can lead to a downward spiral where they start to feel like they have no answers and no one to turn to. And then, seeing no solution, they kill themselves.

Who's forcing anyone to bottle up their emotions? Have emotions, by all means, we all do. Feeling emotions and acting upon them are different things and even then if you choose to cry that's entirely fine. I don't employ violent rage ever time I get angry, is that bottling my emotions?

My point about not crying was from a personal perspective is that as an adult male I haven't found the need to cry. I might have been close a few times with physical pain from broken bones and such but I can't remember the last time I sobbed through sadness.

I'm done with this for now, but this just ticks me off in the worst way possible because it denies the existence of people like me in a so-called "ideal" of how men are supposed to be.

Hey man, don't get to upset. I'm not a perfect specimen myself.

I didn't realise this was some sort of personal achievement competition, I thought this was the I Didn't Know That thread.
This was not some kind of personal achievement competition. It seems you totally missed the point of the comment in the first place - which is that the comment it was responding to describes me to a T and yet I still have achievements under my belt.

My point about not crying was from a personal perspective is that as an adult male I haven't found the need to cry.
You should have specified that in the first place instead of making an ambiguous statement that was liable to set someone off.

Edit: Re: the "femnazi" comment. Go take a women's and gender studies course. It's seriously not as bad as you think it is.

But you are correct in that this is not the thread for this, so I will not be pursuing this any further.

Last edited:
This may make me seem uncool and make me feel like I didn't know this any earlier, but I learned tonight that SEGA spelled backward is "AGES." I noticed this when I saw wall graphics in Seaside Street Galaxy Daytona USA that said something like "To be this good takes ages." Then in one of the other YouTube videos, I spelled SEGA backwards and got AGES. There is even SEGA AGES out there. So... yeah.

I didn't know I had two Avocado plants growing in my backyard. I thought it was walnut trees.

I have followed motorsports since about 1998; and once in a Twitch stream of Gran Turismo Sport, I finally understood what an "in lap" and an "out lap" are. In Lap = a lap one enters the pits. Out lap = a lap one exits the pits.

cheddar-wheel-800x800.jpg
1200px-Bixa_orellana_fruit_open.jpg

Now, I was aware that orange cheddar has traditionally gotten its color from ground Annatto seed, but I had no idea just how long the cheese's color has been augmented.

When cows eat grass, the beta-carotene in grass tints the milk they give off, however, the fat in the milk carries the pigment, so when cheese producers in 17th century England skimmed the fat off of the milk early in the production to make use of it in other products and increase profits, the cheese that resulted lost its yellow tint. In order to give it the appearance of a higher quality product, the cheese producers would utilize the common textile dye in small quantities to affect the color just enough.

Likewise, when dairy producers switched their cows from grass feed to a primarily grain diet, the animals were no longer getting the beta-carotene necessary to tint the milk, so the dye was utilized again.

The reason for the dark orange color of some cheddars isn't as clear, but it's likely that the amount of dye was increased to differentiate the product from others.

cheddar-wheel-800x800.jpg
1200px-Bixa_orellana_fruit_open.jpg

Now, I was aware that orange cheddar has traditionally gotten its color from ground Annatto seed, but I had no idea just how long the cheese's color has been augmented.

When cows eat grass, the beta-carotene in grass tints the milk they give off, however, the fat in the milk carries the pigment, so when cheese producers in 17th century England skimmed the fat off of the milk early in the production to make use of it in other products and increase profits, the cheese that resulted lost its yellow tint. In order to give it the appearance of a higher quality product, the cheese producers would utilize the common textile dye in small quantities to affect the color just enough.

Likewise, when dairy producers switched their cows from grass feed to a primarily grain diet, the animals were no longer getting the beta-carotene necessary to tint the milk, so the dye was utilized again.

The reason for the dark orange color of some cheddars isn't as clear, but it's likely that the amount of dye was increased to differentiate the product from others.

As an interesting(ish) aside... mozarella is pure white because buffalo milk doesn't contain beta-carotene.

As an interesting(ish) aside... mozarella is pure white because buffalo milk doesn't contain beta-carotene.
Yep, the buffalo converts any beta-carotene they consume into vitamin A. Buffalos*...they can't be trusted.

*Edit: Really, brain?

Last edited:
Yeah I had seen things like that with people before... Was watching a nature show with my kids and they cranked out a 2 headed snake, had never seen one or even knew they existed. Was one of those 'learned something new today' moments for me.

Slightly geeky example I learned today.

Sometimes when you order electronics / components with plastics within (like 3D printed parts), the seller will usually throw in a pack of sweets like Haribo as a bonus. The real reason they do that is to gauge the conditions of the environment where the shipping company keeps them. The sweets melt at the same temperature that the plastics do, but the sweets melt first due to the chemicals in them. If your item arrives with melted sweets, then the seller will know the shipping company has kept the item in extreme heat.

And then it's time to find another shipping company, correct?

Indeed. I believe the idea is that someone linked to the seller (or the seller themselves) orders one to see how it is and they go from there.

Scanners scan the white, not the black bars. It makes sense now but I wouldn't have realised until it was brought up.

Scanners scan the white, not the black bars. It makes sense now but I wouldn't have realised until it was brought up.
What!? I never would have thought. How did you find this out?

Also, don't even think of trying to tell me zebras are black with white stripes next. :odd:

Recently, I didn't know that "netkarPro" was made by the same company that made today's "Assetto Corsa." Yes, Kunos Simulazioni developed AC mostly as an evolution of netkarPro. I was looking up netkarPro on YouTube once to see what is really different about this game before Kunos was developing AC further. Apparently, netkarPro has a rain model for tracks. And while this game doesn't have a world of cars or tracks, it does seem very detailed for what it is.

I may check out "netkarPro" to see what it is like compared to my Assetto Corsa adventures.

Something I found interesting today is Maren Morris actually released her first album way back in 2005 and had two other albums she did afterward before she released her first majorly successful album "Hero" in 2016. It's interesting to me because I had it in my mind she had only been around a few years, but it seems she was around far longer than I thought! :dunce:

I know this might sound hilarious but before my first trip to Hong Kong nearly two years ago, I didn't know that it was colonized by the British a long time ago. I actually even first thought that it was under the American rule. :lol:

I learned of two conversion factors today! Since I use NoteTab Light, I created some pieces of code to help quickly convert miles per hour to kilometers per hour, and another piece of code to convert pound-feet to Newton meters (used for torque). Multiply mph by 1.60934 for kph; divide kph by 1.60934 for mph. Divide Nm by 0.73756 to get lb. ft; multiply lb. ft. by 0.73756 to get Nm.

As a blogger, I sometimes have used a program I downloaded years ago to make quick conversions. Now, I can simply access these pieces of code so I can quickly make some specific conversions. Games like the TrackMania series have speeds in kilometers per hour. Going from pound-feet to Newton meters is essential for me as I see stats for cars in Assetto Corsa with the Content Manager. So this is all a big help for me in doing conversions for when I need to make such conversions.

You can add this conversion as well:

1 mph = 2688 furlongs per fortnight.

(This particular measure has actually been used on GTP in the past).

You can add this conversion as well:

1 mph = 2688 furlongs per fortnight.

(This particular measure has actually been used on GTP in the past).

I can only imagine Famine would have used such a ludicrous measurement.

I don't know of furlongs unless you're talking about something like NAMCO's "Final Furlong" series. I may not even use furlongs unless there is something common I usually would want to translate to furlongs.

Back