The 'I didnt know that' Thread

• Thread starter MUSC4EVER
  • 717 comments

My grandmother taught me to use the handle of a maple syrup bottle as a cleat on the edge of a measuring cup so that you can focus on the level of the syrup in the cup and not whether or not you're making a huge mess on the counter. To see if they mentioned this is literally the only reason I watched the video and...spoiler alert...they didn't.

I'm also miffed they didn't note the play in the tab at the end of a measuring tape despite noting its usefulness as a scribe. It wiggles like that so that you get an accurate (tape permitting--all tapes are not created equal) measurement whether you're measuring to an inside face or from an outside face. And the end of the tape is missing the last 1/16"-or-so (presumably some somewhat equivalent metric measure for metric tapes) to account for the play. There are left- and right-handed tapes, too, and all good ones should provide the housing's length on the belt clip side, since it's natural to measure from opposite your handedness, and you need to know that figure when measuring from inside face to inside face.

tmyk.jpg

Edit: I've actually got a piece of scrap wood shaped like |____| with an inside and outside measurement I know to be 5" and 6" respectively...for when I'm tape shopping. Because all tapes are not created equal. Of course, I buy metal bodies only because plastic can wear down with use and result in inaccurate measurements.

:P

Last edited:
Red, irritated eyes from Swimming aren't caused by Chlorine, they are caused by Urine.

Its the first time that Easter Sunday has coincided with April Fools day since 1956.

In 1957 the BBC reported about 'spaghetti crops' in Switzerland and many requested information o growing their own spaghetti trees, completely oblivious to the fact that it was an April Fools prank.

I think it's 1C-V2.

No idea, but it seems to be unique only to the layouts that have Signes corner at a near right angle rather than a curve (on the right-hand side in the photo). Perhaps it's an abbreviation of Signes Curve, or as @W3HS suggested, Stock Car.

115_PR5.jpg
Having a look at it, the Signes curve change does look correct.

Where is Eleanor Rigby buried again?

:P

The cemetery atSt. Peter's Parish Church in Woolton, Liverpool.

Holy crap on a cracker...

The mask Michael Myers wore in the original Halloween was a Captain Kirk mask painted white.

Mind...

...blown.

Viruses give you a runny nose and cough because it helps them propagate... how did I not know this before? I mean, I knew that they propagated that way, but how did I not know that that effect is a mechanism of the virus? I assumed it must have something to do with fighting the virus.

DimGraciousGrub-size_restricted.gif

Viruses give you a runny nose and cough because it helps them propagate... how did I not know this before? I mean, I knew that they propagated that way, but how did I not know that that effect is a mechanism of the virus? I assumed it must have something to do with fighting the virus.
Source? The notion is a little difficult to swallow, but that may well be due to indoctrination of the notion that rhinorrhea is a function of the body to expel offending matter.

Source? The notion is a little difficult to swallow, but that may well be due to indoctrination of the notion that rhinorrhea is a function of the body to expel offending matter.

It's an extended phenotype of the virus. For example:

https://books.google.com/books?id=FWnb2oFnS6IC&pg=PA84&lpg=PA84&dq=extended+phenotype+virus+runny+nose&source=bl&ots=9PFtozUaPT&sig=2nX_G1I1ukEtiivxDCwDHePi7OM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjL0-vulMzcAhWq54MKHcHsAHMQ6AEwBnoECAYQAQ#v=onepage&q=extended phenotype virus runny nose&f=false

I'm sure it's in this book as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Extended_Phenotype

Its been too long.

North Korea uses a fax machine to send threats to South Korea.

Nearly a 1/3 of all Billionaires didn't graduate College.

In 2012 a couple jokingly invited the Queen to their wedding and she actually showed up.

Timon and Pumbaa were written into 'The Lion King' because Nathan Lane and Ernie Sabella auditioned so well together. They originally auditioned to be Hyenas but they were so funny the characters were created for them.

The creators of Barbie and Hot Wheels were married.

Kit Kats are made using imperfect Kit Kats. Nestle leaves no Kit Kat uneaten, so every rejected Kit Kat is mashed into a paste that is used to fill the wafers. Every time you eat a Kit Kat, you're also consuming layers of Kit Kats within Kit Kats.

That propagated (virus) has nothing to do with propaganda.
How is it you came to know this?

https://www.etymonline.com/word/propaganda

1718, "committee of cardinals in charge of Catholic missionary work," short for Congregatio de Propaganda Fide"congregation for propagating the faith," a committee of cardinals established 1622 by Gregory XV to supervise foreign missions. The word is properly the ablative fem. gerundive of Latin propagare (see propagation). Hence, "any movement to propagate some practice or ideology" (1790). Modern political sense dates from World War I, not originally pejorative. Meaning "material or information propagated to advance a cause, etc." is from 1929.

Ah, well you're really not far off, as propaganda is a means to propagate an idea. It doesn't relate specifically to the propagation of pathogens, but it is rooted in the word.
Oh, I'm so smart. :embarrassed:

The tears when you are sad and those when you are tired contain different mineral compositions.

This is most evident by the fact your eyes crust up when tired but not when sad.

Back