The 'I didnt know that' Thread

• Thread starter MUSC4EVER
  • 715 comments
Corn flakes were originally meant to reduce libido and prevent masturbation as kellogs hated the idea of It.

Is that true?
I read it was because so many people were getting ill from constipation due to not eating breakfast or grain or something thus the breakfast cereal was born.
Or so I've read.

Wilson and his co-star reunited at the NY Rangers game last night
B9C0hweCYAAhbTy.jpg:large

There are over 30 Eiffel Tower replicas, most are smaller like the one in Vegas, one is larger, and one in downtown Tokyo is to scale.

Originally all humans were lactose intolerant, and those who aren't lactose intolerant are the ones with a mutation.

Yoko Ono stalked John Lennon for over a year while he was married, sometimes standing in front of his house for hours silently.

Yoko Ono stalked John Lennon for over a year while he was married, sometimes standing in front of his house for hours silently.

Crazy ****ing bitch! :lol:

According to new studies chameleons don't change colour for camouflage but rather to express which mood they're in or to signal their mating situation.

Crazy ****ing bitch! :lol:

According to new studies chameleons don't change colour for camouflage but rather to express which mood they're in or to signal their mating situation.
So them going invisible is basically this:

I am so sorry for reminding people of this :lol:

According to AllTime10s on YT the first McDonald's drive-thru was opened to allow US troops get a meal as they weren't allowed out of the vehicle in uniform on civi street.

The closest living relative to the T-Rex is the Chicken.

The most expensive Vodka in the world costs $3.7 million a bottle, it is filtered through diamonds to remove impurities.

Having looked at Fool Killer's 10 year thread I checked my own profile page and discovered

a) I've been on GTPlanet for just over 10 years myself
b) I can 'report' myself

Now a) is not all that impressive since I'm hardly an influential member, but b) is making me wonder how often people report themselves for 'being awesome' or something like that?

Dexter from Dexter's laboratory was voiced by two women.

Seth MacFarlane wrote several episodes of Johnny Bravo.

The Ford Mustang was not named after a horse but the P51 Mustang fighter plane.

An estimated 350 Powerpoint presentations are given every second worldwide, which is more than 30 million daily.

US's top secret nuclear launch code used to be '00000000'.

There are over 30 Eiffel Tower replicas, most are smaller like the one in Vegas, one is larger, and one in downtown Tokyo is to scale.
Which one is larger?

I believe that for a time, the original was the tallest building in the world? Superceded by the Empire State Building? (edit: I got that wrong)

I haven't yet checked that that's correct. Now that I've mentioned it here, I probably should.

Edit:
Wikipedia
During its construction, the Eiffel Tower surpassed the Washington Monument to assume the title of the tallest man-made structure in the world, a title it held for 41 years, until the Chrysler Building in New York City was built in 1930. Because of the addition of the aerial atop the Eiffel Tower in 1957, it is now taller than the Chrysler Building by 5.2 metres (17 ft).
Wikipedia
As one of the most iconic structures in the world, the Eiffel Tower has been the inspiration for the creation of at least 12 replicas of a quarter scale or larger as itemized here and there are more than 40 duplicates and similar towers of various scales around the world. An early example is the Blackpool Tower in England. Mayor Sir John Bickerstaffe was so impressed on seeing the Eiffel Tower at the 1889 Exhibition that he invested in a similar tower for his own city.[61] Two full size replicas exist: Tokyo Tower in Japan and the Long Tacommunications tower in northern China.

Last edited:
So thats "Summer Wine"?
The Wikipedia page for Summer Wine suggests not.

Sugar Town however, that looks like the one. That link (Wikipedia again) only mentions it being a number 1 in the Easy Listening Chart in January 1967. Of course that doesn't mean it wasn't also number 1 somewhere else in 1966, the year it was released.

Last edited:
Even with modern technology the richest person in the UK made his fortune from steel.

The richest person in the UK is a Labour supporter.

Edit make that third richest now. The charts have changed since I last saw them.

Last edited:
Thinking of taking a quick trip to Mars soon?
Well, here are some things you may want to know:

First - planning on walking? That's going to take you too long. You'd have to live longer than the biblical Noah is supposed to have lived; it's going to take you 1,283 years. Ditch that - not going to work.

How about you rig up the car and zoom out there at about 113 km/h, with no stops for gorging on burgers and root beer or hosing down bushes with hurriedly-aimed liquids? Going to take you 55 years. Even if you leave as a baby, you'll be middle-aged by the time you get there. Not sure if being middle-aged on Mars is going to get you any satisfaction at all.

Wait. We'll jump a plane, maybe a Boeing 747 - and hurtle off there at 907 km/h. That's going to take 7 years. You'll die of cabin fever before you get there. Plus everyone knows that since flying became a hit or miss situation the stewardesses are not as friendly as they used to be.

You know what? We still got the X-15. Hah! Secret weapon. Jump aboard that and take off - Wowsers! It takes us just a year. We'd have to travel at 7,258 km/h non-stop. Not bad, a year's trip - a bit longer than the average cruise around the world in a liner. Staying cool at that speed is going to be a bit iffy, though, and a whole year hanging out staring at stars whizzing by will eventually drive you mad. Maybe plenty of books might help.

Anything else we can use to get there faster?
Why, yes. The Voyager 1 spacecraft. We could make that sucker move at 61,155 km/h and that would get us there in a month. A month. A month continuously at over 61,000 km/h, and we'll get to Mars fairly quick. A month is not a long trip right?

So there you are - next time you plan a trip to Mars and want to get there comparatively quickly, hitch a ride on the next Voyager that passes.

Otherwise stay on Earth, and enjoy your short life.

It is unlikely that the richest person in the world could even buy every building in Portsmouth.

95.4 percent of the universe's energy density - which is basically the stuff that the universe is made of - is still a mystery to scientists.
The remaining 4.6 percent, which is baryonic matter, is what makes up everything - Earth, all the other planets, all the stars, every molecule of interstellar gas - in fact everything else scientists used to think made up the entire universe.
We are now aware that there is an unknown 95.4 percent - but all we understand about it (whatever name we give to it) is that it is out there. Just what it is and how it works is still being debated. And so remains a mystery.

But never mind mysterious stuff that is so big and far away and all that . . . what about stuff close to us, and even visible to the human eye?
How about we take a close look at Venus?
Well . . . the slow rotation period of Venus, a planet that takes 243 Earth days to complete, as well as the orientation of its spin axis to its orbital plane (it spins in the direction opposite its rotation around the Sun) are two puzzles that planetary scientists have yet not solved. Another mystery.

So there you are - some things we don't know - but don't worry; scientists don't either. ;)

Good news, everyone! The mystery of the origin of the name "cocktail" has been solved!

http://www.grubstreet.com/2015/04/david-wondrich-knows-the-origins-of-cocktail.html

They used to stick ginger up the butts of horses to make them stick up their tails. When trying to sell an old horse, this ginger technique would make a tired horse lively and prancy, with their tails cocked upwards. So cocktail was named in step with the idea that it was supposed to be a pick-me-up drink, or something you'd take to liven up a bit. :)

Beats sticking ginger up your ass.

Back