The 'I didnt know that' Thread

• Thread starter MUSC4EVER
  • 717 comments
The kilt wasn't properly worn by the Scottish until the 1500's making the kilts worn by the Clansmen in Braveheart rather out of place since that saga took place several centuries before the popularisation of the kilt.

The kilt wasn't properly worn by the Scottish until the 1500's making the kilts worn by the Clansmen in Braveheart rather out of place since that saga took place several centuries before the popularisation of the kilt.
As far as I understand, the kilt as we know it today was invented in the early 1700s by an Englishman, Thomas Rawlinson.

According to wiki they date back as early as the 16th century but as you say, they were brought about [modern kilts] not too long ago.

I'm watching Braveheart now and I like to research what I'm watching. This movie is so full of inaccuracies and plenty of editing mistakes but it's still a great watch.

The hole in the pull tab on most soft drinks cans is a straw holder (which seems kind of pointless to me, the hole you'd otherwise drink out of isn't that big).

'Traditional' Chinese takeaway boxes unfold into a plate if you're interested in eating your meal the wrong way.

You can use the inline remote on standard iPhone headphones/headsets to fast forward (tap once then hold the middle button), rewind tap twice and hold), skip track forward (tap twice) or back (tap three times) AND as a camera remote (volume up button).

*barrel scrape*

A lot of cars have a little arrow next to the petrol pump icon on the fuel gauge to indicate which side the filler is on.

The hole in the pull tab on most soft drinks cans is a straw holder (which seems kind of pointless to me, the hole you'd otherwise drink out of isn't that big).
I believe it's to secure the straw in place without having it "float upwards" and tip to the side, and mainly useful when the can is still full or close to full.

I believe it's to secure the straw in place without having it "float upwards" and tip to the side, and mainly useful when the can is still full or close to full.

Well if that's what it's for it doesn't bloody work! Maybe my straws are just exceptionally narrow and/or buoyant.

Works for me with Coke. Since learning this information (which was the beginning of this year I think) I've felt like a plum for not knowing it, but it isn't really obvious, is it?

If you're straw is narrow you can rotate the tab until the straw is pressed against the hole meaning it won't be able to float even if it wanted to, because it's the destiny of straws to float, apparently.

Well if that's what it's for it doesn't bloody work! Maybe my straws are just exceptionally narrow and/or buoyant.
If your straws are too thin, just use 2 of them. And if they're thin and long enough, cut it in half and just use the 2 halves.

If your straw is narrow (...)

ftfy ;)

Oh, another one - Chrome users probably know the 'No internet' page you get when trying to access a site while you're offline is a little drawing of a dinosaur, if you press space on this page you get a little runner game where you have to press space to jump over cacti.

Oh, another one - Chrome users probably know the 'No internet' page you get when trying to access a site while you're offline is a little drawing of a dinosaur, if you press space on this page you get a little runner game where you have to press space to jump over cacti.

My office has frequent WiFi blackouts during which our goal becomes to get the highest score (without cheating). My highest is 2224 but the office record is 3000 something.

SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions) was founded by a hockey coach in 1981 after he lost three students because of a automobile accident that involved alcohol. It was called Students Against Drunk Driving until 1997, when it was renamed Students Against Destructive Decisions.

There are only 22 countries on the planet that have not been invaded by British forces at some point in history.

An eye is composed of more than 2 million working parts. Only 1/6 of the human eyeball is exposed.

A lot of cars have a little arrow next to the petrol pump icon on the fuel gauge to indicate which side the filler is on.

I've noticed that cars that don't have an arrow have the symbol of a fuel pump with the filler nozzle pointing to the side the filler cap is on. As an example this has both to make it clear.

low-fuel-after.jpg

So there is a book out in the UK called 'The Secret History Of Everyday Stuff' and in one of the Tabloid newspapers here they published some of the facts in the book, and here are some..

William Moulton Marston, who invented the lie detector test, also created Wonder Woman, the cartoon character who later became a TV Icon.

There is no reason why DVD boxes need to be bigger than CD cases because the discs are the same size. But because they replaced VHS Videos, the boxes were made the same height so they could be displayed side-by-side with videos during the changeover.

People commonly say there isn't a word of the bit of plastic at the end of laces, but there is, its called an aglet.

Flossing your teeth can prevent a heart attack. No one knows why.

Fredric John Baur, who designed the Pringles can for Crisps, had his ashes buried in one after his death in 2008.

A Boeing 747-400 has six million parts, 147 miles of wiring and a wingspan about twice as long as then Wright Brothers' first flight.

Each playing card king is said to show a great historic ruler, Spades-King David, Clubs-Alexander The Great, Hearts-Charlemagne, Diamonds-Cesar.

There is a persistent storm at Lake Maracaibo, Venezuela. Lightningstorms occur for about 10 hours a night, 140 to 160 nights a year, for a total of about 1.2 million lightning discharges per year.

There is a persistent storm at Lake Maracaibo, Venezuela. Lightningstorms occur for about 10 hours a night, 140 to 160 nights a year, for a total of about 1.2 million lightning discharges per year.
The location creates a combination of warm moist air coming from over the sea and cool air coming down from the mountains on its other sides. Then the sky lights up & goes bang!

I didn't know that.

Babies born in-flight and if the flight is diverted to land in the United States, the baby is eligible for U.S. status and a birth certificate.

http://www.adn.com/article/20151015...-who-delivered-baby-flight-diverted-anchorage

http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/statutes/title18/chapter50/section160.htm

“(A) child born in international airspace and then brought into (Alaska) will have her or his birth registered here,” Schell wrote. “It doesn’t hinge on how far out the child was born, it hinges on him or her getting out of a moving conveyance here.”

Schell said the only remaining requirement for the child to receive an Alaska birth certificate is for the parents to apply for one

I'm surprised no tornadoes or waterspouts occur as a result or do they?

Back