The "I have GT5P image quality issues!" Thread

hmm weird on GT HD i DO get color, i guess its just the fact i dled it from japanese PSN
Nothing weird about any of that. The fact is that GT:HD came with a PAL video edition... which you apparently downloaded, and that the GT5:P does not, and that your display doesn't support NTSC. The good news is that if you play it on one that does it will display it in color, or if you play it on a any HD display, not only will it be incolor, but it will look quite a bit better. 👍

1080p 42" Sceptre Naga LCD

No issues other than some jaggies here and there and some minor graphical hiccups on thing like heat ripples and shadows in replay mode. But I suspect those will definitely be worked out before GT5 releases and maybe even by the time GT5:P is released.

Sharp Aquos : 26' inch LCD

Running 1080i on TV and PS3
Using HDMI cables
and I'm in Canada

Definetely not as smooth as GTHD, jagged edges (espeacially near headlights) also noticing smearing in consoles in cockpit view.
I hope the quality of the cockpit view (guages and such) will improve so you dont need the HUD to tell you how fast your going :(

Using HDMI cables
and I'm in Canada

Definetely not as smooth as GTHD, jagged edges (espeacially near headlights) also noticing smearing in consoles in cockpit view.
I hope the quality of the cockpit view (guages and such) will improve so you dont need the HUD to tell you how fast your going :(

Speaking of that... Does anyone know how to turn off the HUD in cockpit view?

----------------
Now playing: Tom Merritt and Molly Wood - Buzz Out Loud 590: What's your brain's bandwidth?
via FoxyTunes

Using HDMI cables
and I'm in Canada

I can see one glaring problem with your set up right off the bat! You are feeding a 1080i signal to a 720p display! :nervous:

First thing you need to do is go into the Video Display Settings in your PS3, do not select "auto", select "custom", and click on 1080i to deselect it as an output choice, thus making sure your PS3 only outputs a 720p signal.

Yes, 720p digital displays can "accept/support" a 1080i signal, but seeing as they can't display in 1080i or 1080p, it's a very bad idea to feed it a 1080i signal unless you have no other choice. Otherwise it can lead to all sorts of image quality problems as your now relying on the original progressive signal to be properly interlaced, then deinterlaced by your display, and then scaled down to match the native resolution of your display. Considering all the things that can go wrong, like a cheap or missing deinterlacer that then simply scales each field without doing any proper deinterlacing at all.

Now if you had a native 1080i or 1080p display, then by all means, 1080i or 1080p would be your best choice. 👍

I can see one glaring problem with your set up right off the bat! You are feeding a 1080i signal to a 720p display! :nervous:

First thing you need to do is go into the Video Display Settings in your PS3, do not select "auto", select "custom", and click on 1080i to deselect it as an output choice, thus making sure your PS3 only outputs a 720p signal.

Yes, 720p digital displays can "accept/support" a 1080i signal, but seeing as they can't display in 1080i or 1080p, it's a very bad idea to feed it a 1080i signal unless you have no other choice. Otherwise it can lead to all sorts of image quality problems as your now relying on the original progressive signal to be properly interlaced, then deinterlaced by your display, and then scaled down to match the native resolution of your display. Considering all the things that can go wrong, like a cheap or missing deinterlacer that then simply scales each field without doing any proper deinterlacing at all.

Now if you had a native 1080i or 1080p display, then by all means, 1080i or 1080p would be your best choice. 👍

Thanks for the tip, I will try it although I'm almost positive my TV can support 1080i

Speaking of that... Does anyone know how to turn off the HUD in cockpit view?

I dont think it's possible in prologue, I see no display settings only audio, so it's too bad or I would have turned the HUD off by now

Thanks for the tip, I will try it although I'm almost positive my TV can support 1080i
Yes I know it supports it, otherwise you wouldn't see anything at all.

As I said in that quote:
Yes, 720p digital displays can "accept/support" a 1080i signal, but seeing as they can't display in 1080i or 1080p, it's a very bad idea to feed it a 1080i signal unless you have no other choice.
The only reason 720p displays "support" 1080i and some even 1080p is that some sources are only available in those resolutions, and thus a display has to be able to accept/support them in order to display them... even though, like 1080i, it most liekly wont display them as well as a 720p source.

This is not at all to suggest 720p is superior to 1080i, only that it is supperior if your display is 720p. :)

Fortunately, the PS3 allows you to set the output to 720p, and turn off 1080i for those with 720p displays. 👍

there was a video posted recently (can't remember the thread) in which the hud was off.

Hi, i've got some problem with GT5 too

Viewsonic 1903wb 19' 16:9 LCD Computer screen
X2VGA2 Componant to VGA box
720P mode

- Cars are narrow, i've try on 3 differant monitor, ( LG 700S 17' 4:3 CRT, Acer 20' 16:10 LCD ) Always the same issue

- A lot of jagged edges, shadows etc...

the narrows cars pissed me off, the lexus IS F look like a small ****

ok peeps, i have had my eye on this thread for a while now, downloaded the demo friday, and have to say it looks and plays fantastic. 👍
no image issues at all on my sony 40w2000 lcd. what are these jaggies that folk speak of?

ok peeps, i have had my eye on this thread for a while now, downloaded the demo friday, and have to say it looks and plays fantastic. 👍
no image issues at all on my sony 40w2000 lcd. what are these jaggies that folk speak of?

People are either reffering to the jaggies that are on the cars itself, which aren't that bad compared to GT-HD btw, or the still very obvious shadow jaggies, which are caused by the somewhat low resolution shadows.

One of the reasons regular jaggies can become so evident in cars is the sheer ammount of polygons, there's a lot of curving from so many polygons, so it can result in more evident aliasing.
I don't know if PD is using any sort of AA, but it does seem to be the case.
Also, if you compare the cars when they are shown by themselves in a white show like room, it seems like they do in fact use AA compared to GT-HD.

It may seem like this demo is ridden with Image quality problems because you read so many people reporting issues, but the truth is it looks so good compared to other games, that if people notice something off compared to say... reality. they'll point it out.

(heck, we even have people pointing out that the pit crew is slacking in the garage!)

And since most people know how good it looks, we hear more about the problems than the pros most of the time, but this is normal.
If you go to websites like AVS forums you'll think that evry display that people buy sucks beyond belif because you read a lot more of the problems than the pros with X display unit.
But this is because either people that have it working fine won't post because afterall that's normal.
Or people are just pointing out the few problems they notice. this isn't rare, and you even see it when they talk about some of the best display units at the time.

I could tell you day in and day out why you're being nit picky, and fickle, but in the end, your opinion isn't going to change, so why should I waste my time?

You seem to think that these small issues are effecting your enjoyment of the game, and if they are, I'm terribly sorry that is a problem for you. I enjoy having great AI, 16 cars on the track, and really really amazing lighting, if I have to deal with a few lighting issues, then so be it.

But, least of all, I have absolutely no idea why on gods green earth you seem to think this is 'set' related. It's not. TV's accept signals differently, get over it.

Let's not forget it's a DEMO.

Let's spell it, just to be clear.

D. E. M. O. The shortened term for 'demonstration'. This game demonstrates what the final game will hopefully be, and improve upon.

Not to mention it's literally a DEMO of an unfinished 'title' rather, the prologue to a game.

Yea, you're not being petty or fickle at all, please do carry on this oh so serious thread and it's game threatening issues. zomg indeed.

Would you stop being a prick please? I think the man is a bit more credible than you're making it out to be. Have some faith in people. Jesus Christ.

Frankly the way you have been responding to these posts is deserving of a slap upside your head. People are trying to make sure it's the game and not their setup that is causing the problem so they don't have to spend money to fix a problem that isn't their fault. The fact that you come in here and belittle people for this and pretend to be superman in order to "save" your precious "demonstration" speaks very poorly on your behalf so you might want to cut it out.

22" Acer Widescreen 16:10
720p
HDMI
Anyone know how I can set the ratio to get a 16:9 view, as all my images are stretched vertically???

I've got some major image quality issues.
I got a conventional color tv
playing on the lowest settings
and everything is black and white..:S

If you do a search in this thread and in this GT5 forum you'll find this has to do with the fact that the demo when outputting in standard def uses NTSC video standards. If you are using a standard def PAL TV that doesn't support NTSC video, then you'll lose all color input.

Either use a HD display, or a standard def TV that supports NTSC. Personally speaking, I'd go for an HD display as it looks so much better in HD! 👍
👍

Brand and Model # = Evesham 32'' Alqemi VX
Display Resolution of The Set = 720p
Resolution Output Setting of PS3 = 720p
Connection Type = HDMI and Component
What Country Are You In = UK

As this problem seems to have been overlooked, or I can't find anything newer, I thought I'd reply here to say that I'm still having these kind of problems even after the retail Japanese release and the first two updates.

First off let me just say that I have tried MANY different setups on my TV like, 720p, 1080i, different cables, all sorts and nothing really makes much difference.

If have ripping of the screen and frame rate judder going around sharp corners, jaggies and darkness beyond the point of being able to see much, but the darkness was fixed with the second update and the gamma fixer.

I've tried the DL demo which is not quite as bad and now have the retail copy, as I said with update 2. I have tried two HDMI cables from Phillips/Warthdale (SPELLING) and the Official Sony Component cable. On the component cable the picture is lighter, on the HDMI cable VERY dark unless you select the RGB range thing, but that makes it all looked washed out.

The frame rate does seem to be a little bit better after the second update, but that could just be me getting used to it?

Do we know for sure if it's the fault of the game or the TVs, because I know that other games have screen ripping, and even something like Uncharted, Naughty Dog said that they wanted to keep the frame rate up and the only way that they could do that was to allow the screen ripping to make up for the fact that the game/machine/TVs could not keep up with the frame rate all the time?

On the component cable the picture is lighter, on the HDMI cable VERY dark unless you select the RGB range thing, but that makes it all looked washed out.
I'd check your settings, all of them, when you switch inputs. On my Sony Bravia, each input has it's own settings, which startled me for a moment as that wasn't explained in the manual very well. So when I went from component to standard video to HDMI 1 and 2, each one had to be set. It may be the same way with your TV. If it is, get signal from all of them, copy your best looking input settings and apply them to the other inputs - if they have individual values, tweak them to taste and you'll be a happy viewer.

• Sony 46X2000
  • 1080p
  • 1080p
  • HDMI
  • UK

Well I still get Tearing and frame-rate problems even after the update. But I can let this go as its not the finished product (im talking GT5 Prologue) hopefully all issues with image quality will be gone by the time GT5 is released.

* Phillips Something
* 720p
* 720p
* HDMI
* Spain

Apart from the problems we all have in common (tearing and framedrops), I suffer extreme jaggies on the dealer, everything else (showroom, ingame, replays, etc) seems to be how they should be, a bit aliased, but fine.

Oddly enough, the problem seems to dissapear in 1080i, but I don't like interlaced resolutions, and my TV is not compatible with 1080p.

I'd check your settings, all of them, when you switch inputs. On my Sony Bravia, each input has it's own settings, which startled me for a moment as that wasn't explained in the manual very well. So when I went from component to standard video to HDMI 1 and 2, each one had to be set. It may be the same way with your TV. If it is, get signal from all of them, copy your best looking input settings and apply them to the other inputs - if they have individual values, tweak them to taste and you'll be a happy viewer.

No Tenacious D, I couldn't remember what it was called before so I didn't explain myself very well sorry, I was only commenting on the fact that HDMI RGB Full mode can be very dark at the best of times and GT5 Prologue has only seemed to make that 10 times worse as has been noted in other topics and that HDMI RGB Limited mode really doesn't help as it makes the picture far to low contrast and bright.

I too have the same kind of TV that has a different setting stored in the memory for each type of input and it DID throw me when I first had the TV I was forever trying to figure out why the damn thing was not keeping my settings only to realise DAYS later that it DID keep them, but for EACH input type. :dunce::dunce::dunce:

I can put up with the screen ripping to a degree, but the frame rate at times is throwing my timeing to the point of getting the corners wrong because of it?

I can put up with the screen ripping to a degree, but the frame rate at times is throwing my timeing to the point of getting the corners wrong because of it?
Huh... now that's an interesting problem. Do you know offhand what your refresh rate is? I'm assuming it's either plasma or LCD. My Bravia isn't one of the better ones with a sub-8ms refresh and 120hz display, but I've had very minuscule timing issues with it. In fact I just tried the Daytona Infield time run and am currently 19th on the planet. Of course that will probably last all of 10 minutes. :P

You might be surprised to know that I tweaked my HDMI display to suit Prologue, and so far, both my PS3 games and Forza 2 look dazzling and fairly realistic, with very few detail swallowing shadows. I set up my other inputs with much the same values, tweaked a bit here and there for cable, and everything looks peachy.

I have noticed that there seem to be som relation between xmb settings and game framerate/image quality. If I turn of themes, scrolling infobar, keysound, ps2 smoothening and upscaling, there seem to be less tearing and better framerate. Now it has to be said that I do not (ARG!) own gt5p yet, no delivery to Norway and jp psn do not accept any foreign creditcards. Anyhow I noticed this while playing half-life 2 episode 1 and 2. Back then I was using fw 2,01. Serious tearing, upgraded to fw 2,1, litte bit better. Turned off the above metioned settings. Pof, problem gone. So It seems to me that this is more of a free memory issue than a coding issue.

Try it out folks, it just might work. (and if so, Sony FIX this. Why not automatically turn of everything not needed when starting a game or application, and turn it back on when exiting to XMB... just a thought)

Huh... now that's an interesting problem. Do you know offhand what your refresh rate is? I'm assuming it's either plasma or LCD. My Bravia isn't one of the better ones with a sub-8ms refresh and 120hz display, but I've had very minuscule timing issues with it. In fact I just tried the Daytona Infield time run and am currently 19th on the planet. Of course that will probably last all of 10 minutes. :P

You might be surprised to know that I tweaked my HDMI display to suit Prologue, and so far, both my PS3 games and Forza 2 look dazzling and fairly realistic, with very few detail swallowing shadows. I set up my other inputs with much the same values, tweaked a bit here and there for cable, and everything looks peachy.

I have no idea what hz the screen is running at, but it's an 8ms refresh rate, so it shouldn't be any prob really, and as for the time trial being clear of any problem, well it's LOTS better even on my TV, but that's when the game/machine has to do the least work really isn't it? It's in the middle of the 16 car pack on the first corner that you notice it the most, right in the middle of the hardest work for the game/machine???

I have noticed that there seem to be som relation between xmb settings and game framerate/image quality. If I turn of themes, scrolling infobar, keysound, ps2 smoothening and upscaling, there seem to be less tearing and better framerate. Now it has to be said that I do not (ARG!) own gt5p yet, no delivery to Norway and jp psn do not accept any foreign creditcards. Anyhow I noticed this while playing half-life 2 episode 1 and 2. Back then I was using fw 2,01. Serious tearing, upgraded to fw 2,1, litte bit better. Turned off the above metioned settings. Pof, problem gone. So It seems to me that this is more of a free memory issue than a coding issue.

Try it out folks, it just might work. (and if so, Sony FIX this. Why not automatically turn of everything not needed when starting a game or application, and turn it back on when exiting to XMB... just a thought)

Teo72, I've just tried out your suggestion, and turned off everything you suggested, and unless it's just me, there does seem to be a BIT of a difference, don't get me wrong, the problems are still there, but seem a little less, especally the frame rate. Can anybody else try this and conform?

Oh! and if you are interested, PM me and I'll give you the name of the user/store on E-Bay were I got my copy of the Japanese retail version from, they were REALLY quick and good service, about the only thing bad was slightly high postage prices, but EVERYBODY does that on E-Bay???

Plopper, there's another thing to check on, and that's to see if your TV does any high def processing itself, and/or has a game mode. Any processing HDTVs do is going to delay the image a fraction of a second, which is why many earlier TVs have a game mode, to keep processing to a minimum and speed up display response.

Back