The "I have GT5P image quality issues!" Thread

How would I be able to tell that TD, there is nothing in the options that is worded anything like that except a Film Mode option that is supposed to stop juddering/spearing whatever you want to call it in films, I've tried with this on and off and it does not make ANY difference?

Anything else that I need to look out for?

Teo72, I've just tried out your suggestion, and turned off everything you suggested, and unless it's just me, there does seem to be a BIT of a difference, don't get me wrong, the problems are still there, but seem a little less, especally the frame rate. Can anybody else try this and conform?

Oh! and if you are interested, PM me and I'll give you the name of the user/store on E-Bay were I got my copy of the Japanese retail version from, they were REALLY quick and good service, about the only thing bad was slightly high postage prices, but EVERYBODY does that on E-Bay???

Maybe the real problem with gt5p IQ isn't the code itself, but the firmware that still takes up too much memory. If they minimised the fw on game/app. startup and maximised upon return to xmb, the memory footprint should be redused to a minimum. This should help as this will free up more memory. What do you think guys, could it really be this simple. If so, what do we do about it? We should definetly let Sony know somehow...maybe they already know, and are hard at work solving this anoying problem. One can only hope...

Jesus why is this thread still open? It's stupid.

You know what the problem with this game is? Gamers who have standards that are way too freaking high. Get over it.

I'm sorry! Are my standards too high to expect a game that cost me money and time to get to play right?

I have played and completed to 100% and still own EVERY GT game from the UK, the US, and Japan! So I am in no way trying to bash this game.

I know this topic was started a long time ago now and that it was me that reopened it in a way, but all I wanted was to bring attention to this problem in the hope that something will be done about it before the release. I know that this is just a demo of the final game that may be more than a year in the future yet so we should not expect too much, but a game that until the second patch was almost unplayable for me as all my timeing was wrong because of the frame rate is just not right?

Now please stop bashing us because we want to talk about this topic and a calm and level manner!!!

Anything else that I need to look out for?
Re-reading your original posts on that, the thing is, when there are several cars on screen at once around turns, invariably someone is going to go off track, either online gamers or offline bots. The smoke effects that will kick in will cause the framerate to drop, and right now there's just no getting around that. Particle effects are just getting reasonable with the latest gens of PC graphics cards able to handle them. The PS3 is extremely powerful, more so than most gaming PCs and certainly my GeForce 6800GTS based rig, but it's not quite the bleeding edge of power. On top of that, this is an early pre-build of GT5, so there are going to be some shortcomings compared to GT5 itself.

I've really never had a problem with framiness affecting my gameplay. I just keep a steady hand and foot and ride it through for all of the second that it lasts. I guess the answer is to practice and remain calm. ;)

Righty-O...bought me a new TV today...

• Brand and Model # = Philips Cineos 42PFL9632D/79
  • Display Resolution of The Set = 1080p
  • Resolution Output Setting of PS3 = 1080p
  • Connection Type = HDMI
  • What Country Are You In = Australia
Everything about the picture quality and game play looks fantastic BUT...

...I have a delay after pressing a button before the game responds. It is about 0.25 of a second which is enough to be very off-putting. Can anyone supply any reasons for why this may be happening?

My HDMI cable was not a super-dooper expensive one? Maybe the PS3 didn't set itself up for 1080p correctly? Has anyone had the same issues with the game in 1080p mode?

Look in your TV's manual if it has a mode called "Game Mode" or something like that.

Maybe the image processor adds so much image filtering that it adds lag to your input. The so called "Game Mode" should disable all this fancy (and useless) filters.

Mitsubishi WS-A65 Manufactured in July 2002
TV set at 1080i
PS3 set at 1080i
Component Cable (no HDMI on this old set)
USA

No graphics problems to report with this setup as it looks perfect. However, and not related to graphics, I had a problem with the game hanging up on me. I have turned off the Auto-Save feature, earned about 500,000 credits without saving for well over an hour, and had the game freeze with the blinking silver GT icon when I tried to change cars. Lots of time wasted and good money down the drain.

Edit: Wow.....I just now noticed that this tread is from October of 2007, and I just bought this game on April 16, 2008. Perhaps some of the issues folk are complaining about have been resolved?

Look in your TV's manual if it has a mode called "Game Mode" or something like that.

Maybe the image processor adds so much image filtering that it adds lag to your input. The so called "Game Mode" should disable all this fancy (and useless) filters.

Thanks for this, I switched off as many settings as I could find and it has reduced the lag significantly...I think I'll need to play with the settings further. Thanks for the advice 👍

Ok, I got my US version... BD
My tv is a REAR projection TV, 55 inch, and full 1080P HD.
I see a lot less, LOT LESS, jaggies on the US version then on my old GT5P (spec I) Japanese version.
Only Jaggies I get is when cars are far away, but once they get really close there are almost no jaggies expect for the shadow jaggies, but its acceptable.
All colors seem to be right and no issues I see, so so far so good with my setup.

Unfortunately there is no Game Mode on that Philips TV, in fact the best he'll get the delay down to is about 110ms.

Philips TV's are the worst for gaming, I strongly suggest no one ever gets one.

32" Toshiba LCD
1080i
720p
HDMI
Canada

No major graphics issues apart from some jaggies as mentioned by most. No worse than any other game. One major improvement I was able to achieve after starting up the game was to turn the sharpness on my T.V. all the the way down to off. No loss of image quality but an almost complete loss of the jaggies which where definately very pronounced upon first start up.

One more improvement was in the T.V. settings itself which was something called "black stretch". It was ON by default. After turning it off, no more issues with crushed blacks (also a bit severe upon first start up).

So after reading all of the posts in this thread, I believe many of the issues mentioned, where solved/improved by T.V. adjustments alone.

On a personal note, I had been playing forza 2 on xbox360 just to pass the time since GT4. I sold it and bought a PS3 for GT5p about 2 weeks ago. There is absolutely NO comparison between the 2 games. Forza 2 was like watching a CARTOON compared to GT5p which, in my opinion is as close to "REAL" life as I have ever seen in a game!! Even "DiRT" is a huge step up from Forza2, but GT5p is the new class leader for now. If the full GT5 is even better, then anyone that complains, probably sees jaggies in real life as well!

Thanks
Eric

Unfortunately there is no Game Mode on that Philips TV, in fact the best he'll get the delay down to is about 110ms.

Philips TV's are the worst for gaming, I strongly suggest no one ever gets one.

:( I'm going back to the store tomorrow to verify that and swap it with a Bravia...I specifically told them it was primarily for use with the PS3, seems like I've been misinformed 👎

:( I'm going back to the store tomorrow to verify that and swap it with a Bravia...I specifically told them it was primarily for use with the PS3, seems like I've been misinformed 👎

Yeah, heard about this too, Philips is doing something to it's tv's btw:yuck:

They tend to break once in 2 years, most of them out of garantee, bla blabla,
heard this from an ex-seller of philips tvs

Worst tv ever!!

On a personal note, I had been playing forza 2 on xbox360 just to pass the time since GT4. I sold it and bought a PS3 for GT5p about 2 weeks ago. There is absolutely NO comparison between the 2 games. Forza 2 was like watching a CARTOON compared to GT5p which, in my opinion is as close to "REAL" life as I have ever seen in a game!! Even "DiRT" is a huge step up from Forza2, but GT5p is the new class leader for now. If the full GT5 is even better, then anyone that complains, probably sees jaggies in real life as well!

Thanks
Eric

I start to think that this could be the case that some see jaggies others not,
If one doesn't know what we are talking about and it's a person who never examined the games he/she plays graphics wise, he/she will never notice it...

26" Samsung LE26R74BDX LCD
TV native res: 1366x768
PS3 output res: 720p
Interface: HDMI

Bad aliasing is visible on all edges during menus (especially My Page) but less noticeable during racing. Terrible shadow aliasing (very low resolution). Some v-sync problems on London. When many cars are on screen, or entering a tight turn (cars bunched up) frame-rate drops significantly.

I think what we need is a baseline, so that we know if everyone IS on the same page. "Speedthrill", you mentioned that it could be dependant on each individual's perception! Well, I have an idea. We all have the HD blueray video of "Beyond the Apex" included with the game. When I watch that video on my system (specs in above post), the ingame footage (of GT5p) that they show throughout that video is far inferior to what I am seeing when in the game or menus.

I think we should compare it to that. For example, is what you are seeing, with respect to "jaggies" - worse, same, or better than what is shown in "Beyond the Apex". Mine is much better. The aliasing seems very bad in the clips that they show. There are some shots during the "Tanner Foust" drifting segment in a 350z, that look extremely low quality- ie. terrible jaggies.

Anyway, just an idea to get somewhat of a baseline or reference that we can all see.

Thanks

Yeah, heard about this too, Philips is doing something to it's tv's btw:yuck:

They tend to break once in 2 years, most of them out of garantee, bla blabla,
heard this from an ex-seller of philips tvs

Worst tv ever!!

Well I took it back and got me a Sony Bravia instead. The picture and refresh rate of the Philips was better but there is no lag with the Sony so it's the TV for me 👍

Sony Bravia KDL52XBR4 LCD HDTV

1080p

1080p

HDMI

USA

A lot of jaggies and smeared images. Shadows have horizontal scan lines and 'line crawl'.

Brand and Model # of TV set
LCD 32" Toshiba WL68R
Display Resolution of The Set
720p
Resolution Output Setting of PS3
1080p 1080p input looks better than 720p
Connection Type
HDMI
What Country Are You In?
Russia
no jaggies, except for the menu "my page" and "dealer showroom",
some line crawl / flickering at distant objects,
some framerate issues and tearing (quite noticeable while overtaking rivals' cars)

LG 42" Model 42LG60FR
1080p both LCD and PS3
HDMI
Chile

The tearing is a pain in the a** more than once per second, like the image jumps ... I dont have quality issues with games like dead space or vegas2, this tearing is sometimes visible in som BDs too.

I've noticed since the Spec III update that any Arcade TT's I do the frame rate has dropped terribly and the images (especially when turning through a corner) of the background scenery are very jerky - almost strobe-like.

I have 3 TV's, and I have the same problem on all - this is not a TV-problem as when I race online, the strobing is gone and the framerate is back to 60fps - however offline, it has dropped to about 30fps and it looks terrible, even on a CRT.

I take it this is definitely a software problem, as I'd never experienced it prior to the update. I wonder if anyone else is having this trouble?

SAMSUNG LN46A650 46" 120Hz 5ms RT LCD
1080p
1080p
HDMI
US of A

Anti-Aliasing - which won't be solved, at least not for GT5:P
Jaggy Shadows - which won't be solved, at least not for GT5:P
No Screen Tearing
No Framerate Drop

Samsung LE46A656 FullHD, 1920p, HDMI 1.3, "just scan" option selected, sharpening off.

Antialiasing is horrible or nonexistent, only in PD's HD movies from the game. Pixel mess in front grills, fences and other complex places really attracts attention. And pixels between body panels too.

Jaggy shadows in cockpits and in roadside cameras during replays too, especially when the shadow is in very low angle, for example the shadow over rear license plate if there's overhang upon it.

Screen tearing, easily perceptible in Eiger or London races.

Multiple framerate drops, for those "no framerate drop" boys, see for yourself when you race in S-Class Daytona Road and many cars are incoming through inner circuit to the camera, then it's perhaps 15 fps. And first turn in fuji in replays when many cars are coming into the corner. And during races when overtaking close any opponent, then there's one or two frames dropped. And if Suzuka being driven from cockpit view in Ferrari California, then whole scenery is jerking.

Last edited:
for those "no framerate drop" boys

I just tried the Cali at Suzuka and I didn't have framerate issues, but I believe the framerate issues are inconsistent between users and copies. Same story for many of the other issues in the "buglists". However, though I stated no framerate drop, it's more accurately described as rare framerate drop, and it never happens in car X at track X. They seem to happen randomly.

Your framerate issue may be attributed to the 100Hz capabilities of your TV. Since 100 is not a multiple of 60, the game and your tv may not mesh smoothly all the time. Same story for screen tearing.

Last edited:
I've noticed since the Spec III update that any Arcade TT's I do the frame rate has dropped terribly and the images (especially when turning through a corner) of the background scenery are very jerky - almost strobe-like.

I have 3 TV's, and I have the same problem on all - this is not a TV-problem as when I race online, the strobing is gone and the framerate is back to 60fps - however offline, it has dropped to about 30fps and it looks terrible, even on a CRT.

I take it this is definitely a software problem, as I'd never experienced it prior to the update. I wonder if anyone else is having this trouble?

I have the exact same problem. I have a 40 inch Bravia KDL40V4000 as of today and will test it out during the week to see if it makes any difference. However if i recall correctly, my brother who already had a 40 inch Bravia at full HD was experiencing the same issue.

All the best
Maz

I have the exact same problem. I have a 40 inch Bravia KDL40V4000 as of today and will test it out during the week to see if it makes any difference. However if i recall correctly, my brother who already had a 40 inch Bravia at full HD was experiencing the same issue.

All the best
Maz

My mate just got that tv too, I have the 40W2000 and do suffer with all of the above mentioned, however, its not really a huge problem, and does not distract me from racing.

My mate just got that tv too, I have the 40W2000 and do suffer with all of the above mentioned, however, its not really a huge problem, and does not distract me from racing.

It was actually the case that on the SD TV I was using, the drop in rate made free run hotlapping harder for me. I would then enter a race and the super-smoothness in comparison was helping me to better times. This was really noticeable for me in the recent F430 challenge race. Maybe the difference in the two will be less noticeable for me in HD, but from your friend's experience, maybe not.

Cheers though, Dan 👍

All the best
Maz

Latest Posts

Back