The "I have GT5P image quality issues!" Thread

Your framerate issue may be attributed to the 100Hz capabilities of your TV. Since 100 is not a multiple of 60, the game and your tv may not mesh smoothly all the time. Same story for screen tearing.

mu22stang, you should know that 100Hz on LCD TV is pure marketing definition. In fact that's only internal processing function that computes the scene between two 50Hz frames and smoothes the picture and camera movements in movies. So then it looks smooth like brazilian telenovelle. But I never get used to it and have it off all times for all sources. Because it doesn't work really good for GT5p. Sometimes a frame is not computed in right time and one frame is dropped completely or when your car is driving behind fence, then there is ugly mess instead of car in the frame between two others, because TV is not capable to see the object behind fence to correctly compute its motion.

In fact, this modern LCD TV is capable of any refresh rate and it really does accomodate to input correctly. And I didn't see any of those issues anywhere except GT5 Prologue (perhaps bad antialiasing in other games, PS3 is really weak in this function).

HLT-5076s(I think) Samsung

50" 1080p

PS3 output, 1080P

Connected via Monster HDMi

8' to 15' away depending on seating position.

I do have some small issues, basically jaggies especially in the shadows, but thats really all, never have noticed any screen tearing.👍

Great info as usual DN, and OMG how many displays does one need in a house?:dopey:

@ RedBaron - My TV has a similar marketing ploy that makes no sense to me. It's a 120Hz TV, but they also have a default feature called AutoMotion Plus (maybe the same thing you are referring to since you also have a Samsung) which actually makes the signal have motion blur, no matter the source. I have no idea why this feature is included. Either way, it's always off.

As far as anti-aliasing, I'm with you. With all the processing capabilites of the PS3, it seems like such a flaw. Why they put such a crappy graphics card in it is anyones guess.

Great info as usual DN, and OMG how many displays does one need in a house?:dopey:

Thanks, and as for the number of displays... this is what happens when no one tells you that you have too many. :D

I should add, there has been a change in the line-up. I went ahead and replaced the Samsung...

• 2006 Samsung HL-R4667W
  • 46" 1280x720p RP DLP
  • PS3 Output 720p -> HDMI
  • 3.6 D:W (12' from screen)
  • USA

For this...

BTW: While I'm here, I noticed Costco has a sale on the Sharp AQUOS LC-52D82U 52" 1080p 120Hz LCD for just $1,700 (MSRP is $3,500)...

CostcoDeal-1.jpg

However, as good of a deal as that may seem... after spending a month now thoroughly testing and calibrating the new Vizio VP504 50" 1080p Plasma... which sells for only $1,500 and features arguably one of the best video processors on the market, and comparing it with many other displays that sell for more than twice as much, this is perhaps one of the finest displays I have had the pleasure of seeing. 👍

I still have not had time to organize all the data from our many test sessions, but here are quotes from my previous comments:

OK. I went on a little electronic spending spree...

DSCN0972.jpg

And yeah... I know, "Mr. Plasma Hater" bought a plasma?!?!? :eek:

I have a very good reason, and will explain later in the Electronics & Home Theater area. :)

Off-topic, but did you ever explain why you bought a plasma? I remember you said you would write something up.

I was going to write something up... but I have to admit, I was so taken in by the exceptional quality of the VP504, that I have been busy hosting a marathon session of video shoot-outs at my home with some of my fellow HT enthusiasts... and they are still going on as we speak. :)

As a brief preview of my eventual review, the reason I decided to get this plasma... despite my well known dislike for the vast vast vast majority of plasmas first started back in January where there was a lot of buzz about this TV, and the goal of Vizio to take on the higher-end display market with a new 50" and 60" PDP display that was going to have the latest PDP panel technology and arguably the best video processor found in a consumer display. At the show, Vizio announced these new displays would be ready for release sometime in June... and so I waited to see just how the final product turned out.

Last month the first model (VP504) from Vizio showed up at my local Costco, and despite the less than ideal warehouse environment, right out of the box, the picture was truly remarkable!

Having gotten permission from the general manager, I connected my PS3 to the show model via HDMI, and ran several of the tests on Silicon Optics' Blu-ray HD HQV Benchmark disc - all of which the VP504 passed with flying colors.

I then popped in the Blu-ray edition of Digital Video Essentials, and made some minor calibration adjustments. Obviously I was unable to do any grayscale calibrations, but from what I could tell, it wasn't that far off for most of the IRE levels.

Finally, I then played a few clips from some Blu-ray films, as well as standard DVDs, and 1080p and 720p videos downloaded off the PSN store.

By the time I was done I had created a large crowd around me... and we all agreed... it was a freakin' amazing TV... especially when one considered the fact that it was selling for less than half the price of the top of the line Panasonic and Pioneer... but clearly performed at their same level.

I should have asked the Manager for a commission, as I think at least six or more people in the crowd around me proceeded to grab one up for themselves.

Now what was interesting on my part is that I really wasn't in the market for a new TV. I already have a dedicated home theater with a 1080p front projector, as well as a decent 1080p LCD for the bedroom, and a very nice 720p DLP RPTV in the family room.... but I'll be the first to admit it... the picture was amazing, and sooo much better than most plasmas out there that I ended up grabbing one myself.

Needless to say, as I pulled into the garage with a huge box in the back of the SUV... my wife took one look at me and smiled and then said, "Gee, why am I not surprised?" :D

*Thankfully she is pretty used to all the AV gear by now. :)

Since then, word spread, and so I have had a steady flow of friends and neighbors coming by to see me run it through it's paces.

One thing led to another, and pretty soon we had half a dozen displays being set-up in our home as more and more wanted to see how their TVs compared... which led to several of my friends and neighbors making a trip to Costco to buy one for themselves. :)

Then this got us all to thinking, with multiple VP504s, multiple PS3s, and multiple SA 8300HD DVRs, we can do some really extensive and scientifically accurate blind testing of all sorts of different things, like comparing video codecs, 1080p vs upscaled 720p, HDMI vs component, Satellite HD vs Cable HD vs VOD HD vs OTA HD, Blu-rays, DVDs, etc, etc, etc... and that’s just some of the video testing… we are also messing around with some audio tests as well, especially comparing various audio codec… so the AV marathon continues! :D

However, if it continues too much longer, my wife is going to stop being so understanding. :nervous:

I feel special. The AQUOS accepts 1080p flawlessly over component from the Xbox 360 (something that few people believe is possible).

👍

I too have a display that accepts a 1080p signal via component:

DSCN1227.jpg

However these are both rare exceptions, and the unfortunately reality (at least for those with X360's with no HDMI and 1080p TVs) is that the vast majority of 1080p displays can not except a 1080p signal via component, and many have poor deinterlacers, thus why many owners of those displays when feeding a 1080i signal to their TV find it doesn't look any better, and sometimes worse than a 720p signal.

In fact, the first couple generations of AQUOS 1080p displays from Sharp also could not accept a 1080p signal via component, and that feature was limited to only the very best video processors.

Even today, 1080p via component is still generally limited to only the higher end displays featuring the latest video processors.

However, as were are dealing with digital data, ideally you don't want to use analog component any way, so for those with displays with HDMI and DVI, unless they have to use component and the signal is from a native 1080p source, there should be no reason to fret over whether or not it accepts a 1080p signal via component.

BTW: One quick note. As a testament to just how good the video processor is in this new Vizio, we set up two Vizio VP504's side by side and connected identical 60GB PS3s to each one with identical HDMI cables (just to be absolutely sure of the accuracy of the tests) and with the exact same 720p video on both PS3s, but with one PS3 set to use it's video processor to upscale the signal to 1080p and send that 1080p upconverted signal to one of the TVs, and the other was set to output a 720p signal, thus bypassing the PS3s processor and instead let the video processor in the Vizio do all the upscaling.

We then set up a blind test session (not blind when viewing of course) :D and everyone immeadiatly picked out the one where the Vizio was doing the processing as the better of the two pictures.

We did the same thing when comparing each of the two Vizios, with one being fed a 1080i signal and the other a 1080p signal, and they were absolutely identical... thus proving that the deinterlacer in the video processor was absolutely top notch. 👍

In fact, when we did blind tests comparing 1080p via a cheap $5 PS component cable bought off eBay and 1080p via HDMI and there was no difference at all, which again is a result of the high performance of the video processor in the Vizio VP504. 👍

Here is a shot I just took today for an unrelated issue regaring the PS3's visual player, but it captures the excellent off-axis image quality:

DSCN1921.jpg

I was so impressed by the Vizio I went ahead and replaced my folks Sony Bravia with one as well...

CIMG1496.jpg

Great deals on both so decided while I was in town visiting it was time to wean my folks off their old 480i CRT TV and show them the glorious world of 1080p HD.

I wish I had a taken a picture of my mother's face when I put in the first disc of Blue Planet on Blu-ray into their shiny new PS3 connected to their shiny new 46" 1080p Bravia... and hit play. I couldn't tear her away from the screen if I wanted to. :)

I then added the HD package to their Dish service and replaced their Dish DVR with the VIP-622 HD DVR. I also updated their Netflix account to make Blu-ray their priority choice. They watched their first Blu-ray movie last night (the first Pirates Of the Caribbean movie) and afterwards they both said they will never go to the movie theaters again!

While they maybe in their golden years, they are now official members of the HD community. :)👍

I even downloaded several of the free game demos for the PS3 as well as game trailers and I was surprised that they actually seemed genuinely interested in at least a few. They were particularly interested in Little Big Planet, but that's not out yet. They are both Soduku fans so they liked Go! Soduku, and they also got a kick out of flOw. They were not terribly interested in Resistance: Fall of Man however. :D

My current top choices for different types of 1920x1080 displays based on both performance and price would be:
Code:
PROJECTOR:	Panasonic AE1000	N/A LCD (~$4,000)
RPTV:		Samsung HL-S6187W	61" DLP (~$2,000)
DVTV:		[COLOR="Red"][b]Sony Bravia KDL46V2500[/b][/COLOR]	46" LCD (~$2,500)

WARNING: For Christmas I bought my parents a new TV, the 46" Sony Bravia KDL46V2500 DV-LCD, and after installing it and calibrating it, I noticed severe Mura uniformity artifacts.

There are a few different types of Mura artifacts that can show up on some LCD panels, and in this case it appears to have a combination of two of them, but mostly it appears to be from a manufacturing error where the LCD panel is improperly sealed causing to much pressure on the liquid crystal cells in isolated areas on the panel. The effect of this are noticeable gradient "clouds" of gray that can be easily seen when the display is showing large areas of black. This defect is often referred to as a backlight uniformity artifact.

While this type of artifact is normal for LCD displays, it should not be easily seen by the human eye, and in most cases, requires specialized equipment to even measure it. Even when LCD panels have noticeable Mura artifacts, in most cases they are caught by the manufacturer in quality control and testing, and are discarded.

This was unfortunately not the case with this particular unit! The uniformity was so bad that it created very noticeable gradient "clouds" of gray which became slightly more pronounced the longer the display was left on... which is also normal with LCD, only that even then the effect is rarely ever noticed by the human eye under normal viewing conditions.

Before sending it back for a replacement, I did some more tinkering with the settings, and by adjusting the backlight control to '0' for each video input and then recalibrating the video settings for each input, I was able to remove most of the gradient cloud artifacts, but not entirely.

My parents were not in the least bit concerned, and after my adjustments, unless the image being displayed was pure black, even I found it difficult to notice the artifact. 👍

However, I still wanted to give my parents a defect free display so I returned it for another unit, but it to showed similar gradient cloud artifacts. 👎

This prompted me to make some inquiries with Sony as well as Samsung, who actually manufacturers the 1920x1080 LCD panels used for this and the other Bravia 1080p LCD TVs for Sony, including the XBR line. While both Sony and Samsung admit there is a problem with some of these panels, neither is saying what percentage of units is having this problem, nor have they given me a satisfactory answer as to why these panels slipped through unoticed by quality control.

For the time being, I have decided not to return the 2nd unit, as I have made the necessary adjustments that have for the most part eliminated the Mura artifacts and even before I did that, my parents were very impressed by the quality of the picture, and may have never even noticed the artifacts had I not pointed it out to them.

If you own or are considering purchasing any of the Sony or Samsung 1080p LCD TVs, my recommendation is to immediately check the set to see if it has any gradient cloud artifacts, and if so adjust the backlight control to '0' for each input, and then calibrate the set from there.

Other than this issue, I still highly recommend these sets, as the picture quality is absolutely stunning. 👍

UPDATE: Well after being blown away by the performance of the Vizio VP504, especially it's new PDP panel and video processor, and buying one for myself a couple months ago, I decided seeing as we are in town visiting the folks that I would replace the Bravia I got them last year with a VP504 as well... yes it's that bloody good. 👍

DSCN2248.jpg

I also installed a Simplicity full motion wall mount (model SLF1) in order to get it out of the way of their fireplace. Before, I had it on a rotating platform in front of their fireplace as they wanted to be able to orient the TV in different directions depending on where in the gameroom they were sitting. The nice thing about this wall mount is that it still gives it a great deal of flexability in terms of how they want the screen oriented, but is now out of the way of the fireplace. My folks are not exactly Spring chickens either, so another nice thing about this particular mount is that it takes very little strength to pull the TV from the wall (and this set weighs nearly 100 lbs), and turn it as well as tilt it... and yet it holds it's position just as easily. 👍

DSCN2251.jpg

So besides this brilliant TV, I also highly recommend this mount as well. 👍👍

To aid the economy and earn brownie points with the in-laws I also upgraded their set as well, except this time with the Panasonic TH-50PZ80U as I got a great deal on it...

While visiting over the Holidays I took advantage of some ridiculous pre-black Friday sales to update my in-laws twenty year old entertainment center and 28" CRT from this:

100_0180.jpg

To this:

100_0183.jpg

Panasonic TH-50PZ80U 50" 1080p VIERA Plasma
  • G11 PDP Panel
  • 1,000,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio
  • 20,000:1 Native Contrast Ratio
  • 480hz Sub-Field Drive
  • 24p Playback
  • x.v. and Deep Color Technology
  • SD Memory Card Slot
  • 3x HDMI 1.3
  • VIERA Link HDAVI Control
  • New Anti-Reflective Filter Screen

Panasonic SC-PT956 Wireless Multi-Room Surround Home Theater System
  • 1000W/428W Amp
  • 5.1 Audio Processor
  • Multi-Room Processing
  • Digital Synthesizer Tuner
  • 5-disc DVD Player w/1080p Up-Conversion & 12-bit D/A Converter
  • Integrated Universal Dock for iPod w/OSD
  • 1x HDMI
  • VIERA Link HDAVI Control
  • 2x Tower Speakers
  • 1x Center w/duel speaker drivers and bamboo diaphragms
  • 2x Wireless Rear Speaker w/VIERA Link & Whisper-Mode Surround
  • 1x 10" Kelton Dual Diameter Subwoofer

Pandigital PAN1202W02 12" Digital Photo Frame
  • XGA 1024x768 LCD Screen
  • 512 MB Built In Memory
  • 6-1 Memory card Reader
  • Bluetooth
  • Wi-Fi
  • 2.0 USB
  • Mini USB
  • PC Plug & Play
  • Multiple Playback Modes
  • Photos (JPEG)
  • Videos (AVI)
  • Music (MP3)
  • Calendar
  • Clock
  • Alarm
  • Timer
  • Speakers
  • Headphone Jack

And to take advanatge of their new toy, I upgraded their Comcast Cable to include the HD Premium Package w/HD DVR:

Cisco RNG200 HD DVR
  • Dual Tuners
  • Dual 250 MHz DSP CPU Processors
  • Dolby Digital+, AAC Processors
  • DAVIC 1.2
  • DOCSIS 2.0
  • 160GB Drive
  • M-Card (Multi-stream CableCARD)
  • USB 2.0
  • Ethernet
  • E-Sata
  • Picture-in-Picture

PS: I'm writing a book on how to get along with your in-laws. ;)

One last sad note... I purchased a Polaroid 46" 1080p LCD TV last year for our vactation home on Galveston island....

Thanks! If the basement gets a little chilly, I just turn this puppy on and the family can stay nice and warm. With natural gas prices on the rise and electricity becoming more cost effective, I leave this gaming rig on all the time, and just turn my thermostat down. :)
I've heard PS3's and 360's are useful space heaters as well. :D

OK, so here are some new additions to the Digital-Nitrate Family:

CIMG2184.jpg

Polaroid TLA-04641C 46" 1080p LCD TV

Details HERE, but in short, I needed a new HD and 46" 1080p LCD for only $1,000 was all the motivation I needed. 👍

CIMG2188.jpg

Level One WBR-5400 MIMO Wireless Broadband Router

It was time to retire my old Dell TrueMobile router, and found this on sale at Buy.com for only $20 (normally $65) seemed like as good a time as ever to replace it.

CIMG2190.jpg

Western Digital WDG1SU3200 320 GB My Book Premium ES Edition Dual Interface HD (USB 2.0 & eSATA 3 Gb/s)

You can never have enough HDs, and at just $60, this was too good to pass up, especially for dual interface with eSATA! 👍👍

CIMG2191.jpg

Yamaha YPT-310 Digital Keyboard

This is for the kids, as they have really taken to playing the piano, which is great, but the grand can be soooo loud, and they aren't any where near Mozart levels... so papa needed to find an alternative way for them to play piano. Besides, the nice thing about digital keyboards is they can experiment with different sounds, record and play back their music through the computer, and it also has some pretty nice teaching software included.

It will also save me a bunch of money not having to have the grand tuned every couple months from their "playing". :)

Tragically the condo and naturally the TV were destroyed by hurricane Ike back in September. :(

On the bright side though... it's yet another excuse to try out a new and different display! 👍

Brand and Model # of TV set
SHARP Aquos 32" Full HD 1080p
Display Resolution of The Set
1080p
Resolution Output Setting of PS3
1080p
Connection Type
HDMI
What Country Are You In?
Canada

In Game:
While I cannot say that there's no jaggies, even when I set the sharpness to the middle setting, the jagged outline isn't as obtrusive as when I had a 32" LG (720p native res. running at 1080p). And while screen tearing was visible on the LG, with the SHARP it becomes less apparent. I can honestly say that it's the best looking driving game on the PS3 and I have a lot of games- GRID, Burnout Paradise, Midnight Club:LA, Ferrari Challenge. I even find MGS4 to have less definition that GT5P.

I was so close in buying an LCD with 1080p capability thinking it will eliminate the diagonal lines, it seems its still there even at that resolution, ill stick to my 1080i then

Im from Manila by the way

Back