The " I want a livery editor" thread.

• Thread starter stucar17
  • 1,351 comments
I feel like I'm getting too confident that a livery editor will be in GT6. But c'mon, Base Model has to mean more than just a basic race car livery. Wouldnt it just be called "race car" or TC like the DLC cars for GT5? Plus, since flat floors and brake kits are in gt6, that has to hint towards something. Flat floors are used for aerodynamics and widely used on race cars. Since those are now in does that mean we can make any car a race car? And if so, wouldn't a liver editor be necessary? getting carried away. ahhh

Kaz said there will be more customization and personalization of cars in GT6. Everything you mentioned fits into that mode. Base model cars are new but could easily just mean that they are meant to be paintable (that's also part of personalization and customization) or possibly there may be downloadable fixed liveries for them in the future. Either way, it's all explainable by info released so far.

...There's no difference between the Impreza WRC2008 getting damaged in-game in its current form, and how that damage would be handled with a custom livery. The only thing standing in the way is a user interface to allow us to make them.
I didn't mean the relationship between damage and custom liveries, I was saying neither custom liveries or dynamic damage can be handled with the PD graphics rendering engine - that's why neither has been done. PD has squeezed everything they can from the PS3 hardware and their graphics engine, they would have to cut corners elsewhere to add damage and allow liveries like other games. It's as good of an hypothesis as any.
OR, they haven't added because they don't care what the GT virtual racing community has been clamoring for loud and clear.

I get the feeling Kaz doesn't see Forza as a competitor. I mean, he wants to be the best, but he doesn't feel pressured to offer minor features that are offered on a different console.

the locked box with the red and blue swirls....

528b06a3d6714.jpg

Actually, looking at it now i think dmark is right. Looks like a retro coffee cup...... Crap !!!!

the locked box with the red and blue swirls....

528b06a3d6714.jpg

Actually, looking at it now i think dmark is right. Looks like a retro coffee cup...... Crap !!!!
Like a Vector Art picture from the 90's...
stock-vector-coffee-cup-80058877.jpg

I didn't mean the relationship between damage and custom liveries, I was saying neither custom liveries or dynamic damage can be handled with the PD graphics rendering engine - that's why neither has been done.

Again, nothing about the graphics engine wouldn't be able to handle custom liveries - once they're not being edited, custom liveries are of no difference to pre-existing ones. To suggest the graphics engine can't handle them is to ignore the hundreds of liveries already in the game.

PD has squeezed everything they can from the PS3 hardware and their graphics engine, they would have to cut corners elsewhere to add damage and allow liveries like other games.

Add damage, yes - it'd need processing power during races. Add custom liveries? Nope*. A livery editor, with all of it's possible layers, will need some processing power, but it'd obviously not be done simultaneously while the game's trying to get a race underway.

* - Custom liveries would require a bit of extra bandwidth when online, to distribute the file to each player's system (that's always been my understanding of it, anyways) so they can see it. But once it's in your system's memory, it won't put any more stress on the game than a custom paint chip.

It's as good of an hypothesis as any.

Well...

OR, they haven't added because they don't care what the GT virtual racing community has been clamoring for loud and clear.

:P

Read my comment again.

That was highly amusing!

Yeah this is one thing that has been killing me with the game and after seeing the pic of Kaz with GT5 and the livery editor showing on the presentation screen will equal a big disappointment for those of us wanting it if 6 does not have this.

That Porsche is certainly... erm... an acquired taste?! I would have loved a livery editor in GT6 but I probably knew it would have been slightly too optimistic to expect one.

In the meantime; There is one thing that never, ever disappoints. And that’s hope. Hold onto it forever!

It appears then at the moment we have no livery editor.. hopefully this may change with an early update or DLC, I hope so .. for me this was one of the big things I really wanted from GT6 especially with online such a big part of GT now. To be able to personalize your car and the go racing online with it as you can in PC sims would be awesome

What I would like to say is this..

If it is so difficult ( which it isn't in the first place ) for PD to incorporate a livery creator / editor why can they not do this....

1. - In the tuning section have a livery shop where you can choose from a selection of pre-determined styles of livery to go on your car.

( if licensing is an issue just use logo's of the licenses you are permitted & incorporate those in the livery )

2. - allow you to alter the colour of the livery your putting on

3. - allow door numbers & reg plate names to be changed

These three things alone would enable an almost infinite amount of customization, so you could be individual online or race in team colours .. this is something I think PD have seriously dropped the ball on.

It appears then at the moment we have no livery editor.. hopefully this may change with an early update or DLC, I hope so .. for me this was one of the big things I really wanted from GT6 especially with online such a big part of GT now. To be able to personalize your car and the go racing online with it as you can in PC sims would be awesome

If it is so difficult ( which it isn't in the first place ) for PD to incorporate a livery creator / editor why can they not do this....

1. - In the tuning section have a livery shop where you can choose from a selection of pre-determined styles of livery to go on your car.

( if licensing is an issue just use logo's of the licenses you are permitted & incorporate those in the livery )

These three things alone would enable an almost infinite amount of customization, so you could be individual online or race in team colours .. this is something I think PD have seriously dropped the ball on.

Because Poliphony Digital.

Basically, the iRacing system? I agree. It's simple, it's foolproof, and it's easy. It's more than enough to allow people to have a diverse looking field of cars, which is sort of the point.

If PD actually cared, there are things they could have done. They don't, so they didn't.

Basically, the iRacing system? I agree. It's simple, it's foolproof, and it's easy. It's more than enough to allow people to have a diverse looking field of cars, which is sort of the point.

If PD actually cared, there are things they could have done. They don't, so they didn't.

exactly ...

We have the lunar rover piece of crap that we can drive on the moon... YEY !!! what a waste of time and valuable disc space !!!

why not spend that time on someone designing skins for cars... hell ... i'll do it for free !!!

For crying out loud PD .... when will you use your BRAINS !!!

I would love a livery editor too...even a simple and basic one.

But GPS track creator will kick a**. And IMO it's a much better thing for the game (and for a racing game) than a livery editor. I'll buy it if PD makes a DLC pack with it though. :)

But GPS track creator will kick a**. And IMO it's a much better thing for the game (and for a racing game) than a livery editor. I'll buy it if PD makes a DLC pack with it though. :)

It's true. But as with all the really cool things about GT5 (track creator, sounds, GPS data logger) it's to come in a patch at some unspecified time in the future. I'll believe these things when I see them.

For some though, the livery editor is decisive in the choice of which game to purchase. I, personally, prefer the realistic simulation aspects of the game over the customization factor, but still, it would make a great difference if you could add your "mark" to your vehicle.
It doesn't matter who likes it or not, just it being in the game. You use it or not.

For some though, the livery editor is decisive in the choice of which game to purchase. I, personally, prefer the realistic simulation aspects of the game over the customization factor, but still, it would make a great difference if you could add your "mark" to your vehicle.
It doesn't matter who likes it or not, just it being in the game. You use it or not.
Better "realistic simulation aspects", than what? GT doesn't offer "better" simulation aspects than the competition to make the lack of a livery editor a trade off. Many GT gamers want a livery editor and have been asking/waiting patiently. They want want what other virtual racing games have had for years.

Better "realistic simulation aspects", than what? GT doesn't offer "better" simulation aspects than the competition to make the lack of a livery editor a trade off. Many GT gamers want a livery editor and have been asking/waiting patiently. They want want what other virtual racing games have had for years.
I didn't say GT's simulation aspects were better than the competition, just that I preferred them done nicely over the inclusion of customization options. But I agree that is about time for Polyphony Digital to catch up with their rivals in the 'gaming' department, allowing their customers the option to customize their cars as they seem fit, for instance.

iracing is more realistic, has a livery editor, and sells far less .... Yes it might have less content, but with the difference in market and resources, thats more than fair! Not to mention FORZA

Back