The " I want a livery editor" thread.

• Thread starter stucar17
  • 1,351 comments
Australia
Wollongong
sb170773
Well, after the disappointment of GT5 failing to bring their promised livery editor, I am yet to see anything on GT6 confirming or denying that they have one this time.

Does anyone have any news on this front?

Is it coming, has it been ruled out?

I know from past history we can guarantee the team at PD will keep us in the dark and drip feed us.

For GT6, the livery editor has to be a must.

Dg95n1a.jpg

Tokyo Game Show 2006. Still waiting.

Well, after the disappointment of GT5 failing to bring their promised livery editor, I am yet to see anything on GT6 confirming or denying that they have one this time.

Does anyone have any news on this front?

Is it coming, has it been ruled out?

I know from past history we can guarantee the team at PD will keep us in the dark and drip feed us.

For GT6, the livery editor has to be a must.

Kaz did say they'll share more info about GT6 at E3, Gamescom and TGS. So hopefully we'll hear something about the livery editor being added. 👍

I would hope that it'd be in GT6. If we can create our own clubs, it'd be nice to have team stickers on our cars, along with team designs.

There was something that said you can personalize all of your cars, that sounds like a livery editor to me 👍

There was something that said you can personalize all of your cars, that sounds like a livery editor to me 👍

From what I saw and heard, the personalization is based on rims, aero parts, and likely paint color.

I didnt see or hear a hint of a livery editor at all. But theres still 3 more game shows to go this year

Yeah I thought it sounded something like that as well, plus the SLS GT3 has no livery. That has to be hinting a livery editor will be in GT6. 👍

Yeah I thought it sounded something like that as well, plus the SLS GT3 has no livery. That has to be hinting a livery editor will be in GT6. 👍

That's the same though as the Lexus whatever it is in gt5. Racecar with a standard paint job. I saw the merc and thought it can have some wicked liveries added if available.

That's actually what the Mercedes GT3 looks like though, plain silver with no livery. Still, let's all hope we do end up getting one. A proper one. :)

Although I would love it, I think it's unlikely. Here's why:

GT is a PlayStation staples, it's one of THE games everyone with a PS3 has to get and because of that it's one of the consoles best selling titles. This success doesn't come without its problems though. The problem that affects the livery editor is that it'll be a feature which will see questionable uses due to the game having such an enormous and diverse audience. Online lobbies in GT5 showed this clearly: You got tons more of lobbies full of kids crashing their X2010s thinking they're oh so tough and that the X2010 had VTEC than lobbies with serious people looking for clean racing (without 🤬 Soft tyres!!!). With a livery editor we'll see online one awesome personal design or one racecar-inspired replica livery for each 5 we see that say "Swaaaag", "KB FTW NOOBS" and have penises drawn all over them a la Jeremy Clarkson.

The only way this could be avoided is by giving us a very restricted livery editor, something that only allows some predetermined graphics or something like that. If they give us this, it could be added to the paint chip system so we can use the great trademark paintjobs of most manufacturers. Personally, I wouldn't like them to remove the entire paint chip system entirely but instead they should tweak a couple of details on it.

I know it would be awesome to go all Gulf on your cars or re-do the Jägermeister livery of the classic M3 with an E92, but I honestly wouldn't hold my breath.

GT is a PlayStation staples, it's one of THE games everyone with a PS3 has to get and because of that it's one of the consoles best selling titles. This success doesn't come without its problems though. The problem that affects the livery editor is that it'll be a feature which will see questionable uses due to the game having such an enormous and diverse audience. Online lobbies in GT5 showed this clearly: You got tons more of lobbies full of kids crashing their X2010s thinking they're oh so tough and that the X2010 had VTEC than lobbies with serious people looking for clean racing (without 🤬 Soft tyres!!!). With a livery editor we'll see online one awesome personal design or one racecar-inspired replica livery for each 5 we see that say "Swaaaag", "KB FTW NOOBS" and have penises drawn all over them a la Jeremy Clarkson.

If someone wants to write "Swaaaag" or "KB FTW NOOBS" on their car... how does that affect you? It's not offensive, and just as possible in real life. If it's their car and they want to personalize it in a way that doesn't violate any rules, and will bring them increased enjoyment because of it, who are you to restrict them?

Besides, for anybody worried about bad paint jobs being the prevalent ones online: so long as the game has a Storefront-like feature, one that allows users to post their creations for download, the cream will rise to the top. I can maybe recall on one hand the number of times I've seen offensive liveries in a year and a half of racing online in FM4. I've rarely seen terrible ones, either; chances are people put the time into making it a quality item if they're gonna be racing online, the same reason we all put a lot of consideration into what limited visual customization we already have in GT5. Sure, I've seen ones that aren't my preferred style, but the really bad stuff? I only ever see it if I head to the Storefront, and sort by Most Downloaded... then scroll to the very bottom :P

The only way this could be avoided is by giving us a very restricted livery editor,

It could be avoided by a simple "Do Not Show User-Made Paintjobs" option that can be selected in the Options menu, for one. It could have a "file a complaint" feature much like LBP does when you encounter something offensive online, as well.

something that only allows some predetermined graphics or something like that. If they give us this, it could be added to the paint chip system so we can use the great trademark paintjobs of most manufacturers. Personally, I wouldn't like them to remove the entire paint chip system entirely but instead they should tweak a couple of details on it.

I didn't think there were people who actually supported the paint chip system...

I know it would be awesome to go all Gulf on your cars or re-do the Jägermeister livery of the classic M3 with an E92, but I honestly wouldn't hold my breath.

Then the game will still be woefully behind the times in its genre, and given that this is the swansong for PS3, I really don't think GT players should have to wait potentially years longer for a feature that is pretty standard.

Count me firmly in the list of people who want a livery editor. I know that it not being in the game will severely limit how long GT6 will hold my interests, and it only ranks below two other things on my personal list of importance: an improved physics engine with a decent tire model, and the removal of ugly, last-gen assets.

That's the same though as the Lexus whatever it is in gt5. Racecar with a standard paint job. I saw the merc and thought it can have some wicked liveries added if available.

Oh shoot, I forgot about the Lexus IS-F Touring car. :lol: But I do hope we still get the livery editor, love to see others designs. :)

That's actually what the Mercedes GT3 looks like though, plain silver with no livery. Still, let's all hope we do end up getting one. A proper one. :)

Ohh. I never knew that, than again there were photos of it with no liverys at all so you're absolutely correct. :lol: I agree with you, I too hope we get the livery editor, and a proper one indeed. 👍

The only way this could be avoided is by giving us a very restricted livery editor, something that only allows some predetermined graphics or something like that. If they give us this, it could be added to the paint chip system so we can use the great trademark paintjobs of most manufacturers. Personally, I wouldn't like them to remove the entire paint chip system entirely but instead they should tweak a couple of details on it.

All the cool people you know and meet, will still be the cool people you know and meet, but with cars that suit their tastes. And all the noobs you meet, will continue being noobs, with cars that display how noob they are. Neither of which should have any bearing on how you race against them. Take a picture, upload, report, and have them banned. It's that simple.

I've played TDU2, A game that has a fully drawn vinyl editor, and is an arcade game, for 2 years without seeing one lude vinyl editor, and anyone that has something offensive typed on their car gets the boot. It's really that simple...

Gonna be extremely embarrassing if we're stuck playing with paint chips again.

If they make us use/pay for paint chips again, I'm banning GT6 until GT7 is released, and saving for a worthy next gen title. Same thing goes if GT6 lacks a decent vinyl editor. Hoping for iconic tracks like Cita Di Aria, Costa Di Amalfi, Tahiti, El Capitan, SSR11, Midfield etc. as well... Actually, a vinyl editor (customization) and "appealing" tracks are the two things that my GT6 purchase are being weighed on.

Last edited:
If someone wants to write "Swaaaag" or "KB FTW NOOBS" on their car... how does that affect you? It's not offensive, and just as possible in real life. If it's their car and they want to personalize it in a way that doesn't violate any rules, and will bring them increased enjoyment because of it, who are you to restrict them?

Besides, for anybody worried about bad paint jobs being the prevalent ones online: so long as the game has a Storefront-like feature, one that allows users to post their creations for download, the cream will rise to the top. I can maybe recall on one hand the number of times I've seen offensive liveries in a year and a half of racing online in FM4. I've rarely seen terrible ones, either; chances are people put the time into making it a quality item if they're gonna be racing online, the same reason we all put a lot of consideration into what limited visual customization we already have in GT5. Sure, I've seen ones that aren't my preferred style, but the really bad stuff? I only ever see it if I head to the Storefront, and sort by Most Downloaded... then scroll to the very bottom :P

It could be avoided by a simple "Do Not Show User-Made Paintjobs" option that can be selected in the Options menu, for one. It could have a "file a complaint" feature much like LBP does when you encounter something offensive online, as well.

I didn't think there were people who actually supported the paint chip system...

Then the game will still be woefully behind the times in its genre, and given that this is the swansong for PS3, I really don't think GT players should have to wait potentially years longer for a feature that is pretty standard.

Count me firmly in the list of people who want a livery editor. I know that it not being in the game will severely limit how long GT6 will hold my interests, and it only ranks below two other things on my personal list of importance: an improved physics engine with a decent tire model, and the removal of ugly, last-gen assets.

Very well said, no reason why GT6 should lag in this area. I am not a painter per se, but I have bought a lot of cool liveries in the "other" game, I hope posting these does not offend anyone.

Come on GT6, put it in the game.

I've played TDU2, A game that has a fully drawn vinyl editor, and is an arcade game, for 2 years without seeing one lude vinyl editor, and anyone that has something offensive typed on their car gets the boot. It's really that simple...
What he and Slip said. Forza is probably the worst game as far as crude graphics, but I never did see a "hentai car" in a race. And if the thought is that offensive or if you have kids, just filter custom liveries and you're good.

Needless to say, I've been wanting custom liveries in Gran Turismo since my GT4 days of early 2005, before I'd even heard of Forza. When I did discover Forza, I ended up spending more time creating race cars than racing them. Which was a good thing. ;) I'm too tired to dig up images of my old rides, but all you have to do is browse any Forza gallery to see some astonishingly sweet liveries, both authentic and original.

I really can't fathom having club and league builder tools in GT6, and not having a Livery Editor to support them. I mentioned this in the run up to GT5's reveal, and lamented that without a Livery Editor, we'd be stuck with people fighting over club colors, and have The Lime Green Car Club, and the Midnight Purple Car Club, and clubs fighting over color rights, and we almost had that.

According to official (Playstation) website sources, we'll be able to "create your very own personalised in-game car to race with."

Does this hint at a much more in-depth Race-modifying feature? Does this mean we can "rename" our cars? Does this mean we can take a BMW M3, and add "touring car" or "GT2" to the name?

What are your thoughts?

A little context:

Multiple aerodynamic parts and custom wheels will be available for most of these vehicles, plus you'll also be able to create your very own personalised in-game car to race with.

I would think that it means you can customize the way it looks. They mentioned a wide choice of aero parts and wheels and hopefully they have added a method of adding some stripes, racing decals, number as well as color. That would pretty much qualify.

I would think that it means you can customize the way it looks. They mentioned a wide choice of aero parts and wheels and hopefully they have added a method of adding some stripes, racing decals, number as well as color. That would pretty much qualify.

I'd be happy with ability to affix numbers in appropriate places on my car rear bumper side doors and hood and I'd be happy. I like to have the track day look for my cars quick vinyl paste add some color and off we go.
Hopefully PD has a plethora of schemes that they tend to magically have in GT5 but we don't available along with ability to tweak them and create our own from scratch. But I'd still be happy with limited numeral logo placement on my car. Lose that craptastic paint chip thing, utterly annoying on a whim I want to change my stable of fast machines to the same color scheme I don't want to go hunting for paint chips. Also allow painting and vinyl application on wings, i hate bare wings that mar a beautifully painted car big carbon black things look bad(the stealth cars have GT logo affixed to their wings, why can't we do something similar?)

Kaz did say they'll share more info about GT6 at E3, Gamescom and TGS. So hopefully we'll hear something about the livery editor being added. 👍

Added, it has to be built with the game from the get go else we'll end up with weird looking crap like how the standard cars textures look bad when you choose the wrong paint color for it.
All we can do is patiently wait, but I seriously hope that we do get some sort of decal/livery editor in this game because as someone pointed out car clubs without liveries is a bit stupid. If you have seen the impressive stuff in FM4 that teams have come up with you'd want livery editor big time. That editor better not skimp either, it needs to be powerful and easy to use come with prefabbed stuff to just slap on and go for people who don't have the time and a place where we can view the works of other creators and buy them FM style in game cash only. I feel warm and fuzzy inside knowing that something much better than GT5 is on it's way and in record time too.

According to official (Playstation) website sources, we'll be able to "create your very own personalised in-game car to race with."

Does this hint at a much more in-depth Race-modifying feature? Does this mean we can "rename" our cars? Does this mean we can take a BMW M3, and add "touring car" or "GT2" to the name?

What are your thoughts?

A little context:

Honestly, as much as I hope not, i think it means decals/vynils. I know a lot of people are whining for it, but I don't want it. All I want is some paint options, like I want to be able to paint the interior in a bunch of different ways, kind of like in TDU 2 where you could change the color of your interior. I definitely do not want liveries. Liveries are a waste of time. Some people may like it but I guarantee I'll end up wasting a few hours on it, and end up not even liking my designs, so I'd rather it not even be in the game. Plus cars look ugly with stickers on them.

I also definitely want more upgrade options, most of all, aero packages. One of my biggest problems with the aero upgrades in GT5 was that it would only let you add downforce to the rear, not the front. It's very important to have some on the front if you're to really turn a road car into a race car. You can't do it with just rear downforce.

I hope that "multiple aerodynamic parts" doesn't mean say "multiple" aero parts we already have because they may change the appearance, but only the wings are useful and that sucks.

So because you wouldn't like it, it shouldn't be in the game? Have you seen real race cars lately? Even at grass roots level liveries are used, it's an important part of car customisation.

Back