The " I want a livery editor" thread.

• Thread starter stucar17
  • 1,351 comments
That almost counts as nothing...
image.jpg

Stop expecting! We may only hope & pray.
Do you have any idea of the amount of work involved in making a Livery Editor?
PD does not want to spend that extra cash, nor does he want to mantain the features withing afterwards,
and no-one on his stuff is even considering to attempt such task!

There won't be any patch adding a livery, not on GT6, ever!
If PD does not realize that it would be a good investment to do so at this time, considering the fact that the competition (Forza 5) has removed the Livery & Car Auction, then, PD has clearly become too old and or too rich and or uncapable to lead such task, which is way too difficult for him and his present staff!
We can not buy a game and then make our demands to add content! It won't work, not at this level.
We must be firm and not buy any game, unless the content within is satisfactory to our individual taste and level.
Can we buy a new car, drive it home and then drive it back to the dealer and demand a better paint job and or a more powerful engine etc...? Sure we can, but it will cost us more moneyyyyyyyyy!
Sure most of us who want/demand a Livery Editor, are willing to pay more money, but the most important fact remains: PD is not interested in such features in his now dying masterpiece!
For some of us, it's still a Good Enough game, and for others it's not.
I could go on for days, but what's the use? It will not make the Livery Editor suddenly appear, so, I'll just repeat this:
We must be firm and not buy any game, unless the content within is satisfactory to our individual taste and level.
If you buy a game then, do not demand for more! Sure we may kindly ask and hope and pray for it, that's all we can do.
Let's just also hope that PD will never have a good night sleep, unless/untill he realizes what we ask for! :nervous:
Imma go design a Sleeping PD.(on Forza) LOL
Happy gaming! :banghead:

I read a thread here in gtplanet:gtpflag: a couple of weeks ago about some miatas mx5 (only miatas not eunos) having racing stripes. I tried for myself with one of them (miata mx5 NA) and it is actually true. There were others miatas with this, and they said that the miatas had no interiors but you could put body kits and they look very nice (so i can say that they're nearly premium). This may be a hint to the arrival of the livery editor so we can keep our heads up for it.:lol::)

(https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/mazda-miatas-with-hidden-stripes.292722/)

no one more surprised than me to see my thread pop up again !!!

Was interested to see the new Lexus "livery". Very simple, and the type of livery that I hadnt seen on any other GT6 cars that i can think of. It did get me thinking that if they had a group of pre determined / pre made liveries it might go some way to appeasing a lot of the fans looking for more car customization.

Anyway, i still dont think its going to happen. I have already stopped thinking about it, and moved a lot of my attention to another title coming later in the year. I also know that there are probably 80% of my league guys that are also looking to move away from GT, "IF" it provides the things it promises.

I think PD is about to see the effect of some worthy competition, and it wont be pretty for them.

Lack of a livery editor is one of the main reasons for me not going for Gran Turismo anymore.

Most of the competitors have had it for years. Having the ability to make replica liveries and do really creative stuff gives a game way more mileage, makes online more interesting and makes it feel like it has way more cars.

It's not exactly hard for PD to implement, its a pretty basic piece of coding that even yearly released games manage to do.

Lack of a livery editor is one of the main reasons for me not going for Gran Turismo anymore.

Most of the competitors have had it for years. Having the ability to make replica liveries and do really creative stuff gives a game way more mileage, makes online more interesting and makes it feel like it has way more cars.

It's not exactly hard for PD to implement, its a pretty basic piece of coding that even yearly released games manage to do.

Not ragging on your opinion, I do agree GT should have one, but I think your last statement may be naive. Unless you know how GT currently handles the liveries on cars, and what resources the console has left to do it properly I don't think you could consider it easy or basic. I want one, but not if it's just jow rent JPG's badly wrapped around the 3D models.

Not ragging on your opinion, I do agree GT should have one, but I think your last statement may be naive. Unless you know how GT currently handles the liveries on cars, and what resources the console has left to do it properly I don't think you could consider it easy or basic. I want one, but not if it's just jow rent JPG's badly wrapped around the 3D models.
I agree with you. If GT is to compete with other rivals, then it must feature a full and well implemented livery editor, not a half-baked system just to make-do.

I agree with you. If GT is to compete with other rivals, then it must feature a full and well implemented livery editor, not a half-baked system just to make-do.
Never mind the competition, I think we want something expressive and easy to use. Where that overlaps with the technical considerations will determine the approach they take.

Going by PD's previous performance, they'll have decided on an approach that gives them the results they want, and are waiting for the technical freedom to insert it into a current game.

Right, just as an example of what I think...

Most people thing that liveries would be texture images applied to a 3D surface, I guess this is a popular option in many sims. This is dependent on the resolution of the original images and how much patience you might have to get it aligned. Problem is, the resolution goes to pot on curved surfaces.

The other way could be to integrate the livery in to the wireframe. But then, thats bound to be a complicated process.

Excuse the crudeness of the modelling and texturing, but I made the example below in about 10 minutes and didn't have the patience to line up the image texture properly :D

As you can see, the test on the wing on the left is nice and crisp, the steps in the curves just come from it being a low-poly model. This was made by intersecting the wing with the logo, to add the logo to the wireframe.

On the wing on the right I used Hi Res JPG image. You can see it's a bit blurred and fuzzy (as well as not lined up :lol:) this is just a JPG wrapped around/projected on the model.

I suspect the implications on resources of these two techniques is quite different.

wings.jpg

Every developer so far agree that that developing on PS4 is a lot easier than it was on the PS3. PD should have no problem, or at least not too much, getting it properly into GT7. For GT7 not to have a livery editor, it will be a kick in the teeth.

I'm not looking for anything fancy so wrapped JPEG shapes would do me fine because anything is better than nothing. But if it has to be done a perfectly as in game liveried cars then yes it might be more of a challenge.

KY is too much of a perfectionist which has led to may problems this series has IMO.

As for resources, GT has to be capable of having a full field of in game liveried cars so have custom liveried ones should be no different after flattening the layers. As well as PS3 power I'm also thinking in terms of the next iteration on PS4... there will be no excuse for PD to not do it.

I'm not looking for anything fancy so wrapped JPEG shapes would do me fine because anything is better than nothing. But if it has to be done a perfectly as in game liveried cars then yes it might be more of a challenge.

KY is too much of a perfectionist which has led to may problems this series has IMO.

As for resources, GT has to be capable of having a full field of in game liveried cars so have custom liveried ones should be no different after flattening the layers. As well as PS3 power I'm also thinking in terms of the next iteration on PS4... there will be no excuse for PD to not do it.

I think you are right, Kaz's strive for perfection is probably one of the main reasons we don't have a livery editor. Geometry Intersection (thanks @Griffith500) is the better option for quality, but using it practically is more complicated, and I suspect that certain things need to be built in to the original model to make it feasible - for instance the livery engine would need to know not to intersect glass surfaces, grilles, head lamps etc.. it's not impossible at all. But I think it's a lot of work, and needs to be approached from the ground up.

It definitely needs an editor of some sort, it really would open a new dimension for the game. If we get a decent course creator, and we had a decent livery editor, I think maybe only 30% of my time in GT would be spent driving :D

Back