The " I want a livery editor" thread.

• Thread starter stucar17
  • 1,351 comments
If there's a livery editor, GT6 might end up becoming my favorite GT game just based on that. There's a few racing liveries I want to try making using some of that race cars that are in GT5 if a livery editor is added.

Looking the pics above one thing Forza Motorsport is missing is the Windshield banner!
Everything else works good, takes more time than PC templates, but works.
The only issue is the lack of window painting!
Forget the livery editor.
Makes no sense. They are made with it.
If there's a livery editor, GT6 might end up becoming my favorite GT game just based on that. There's a few racing liveries I want to try making using some of that race cars that are in GT5 if a livery editor is added.
And another thing Forza is missing is the option to race against your own cars! How cool would be painting 16 cars how you want and racing against them???
It would be like rFactor!

And another thing Forza is missing is the option to race against your own cars! How cool would be painting 16 cars how you want and racing against them???

THIS! I have a whole collection of Rolex Series Grand-Am cars with matching liveries, but they look out of place when they're the only car with a racing livery.

They need to give us the option to force the AI to "wear" any liveries purchased for their car.

I remember Kaz once talked about car painting with Move..
Spray paint+stickers would be cool

Oh what a great idea! Painting with Move could be so much more precise than the Dual Shock if done right. I remember the sculpturing demo from the PS4-announcement event right away.

Furthermore this feature is definitely a must for the PC/browser/smartphone/tablet-feature...

Oh what a great idea! Painting with Move could be so much more precise than the Dual Shock if done right..

Never,ever ever. Having used a pad to create designs there's no way a motion control device could compete on accuracy.

Remember, the more accurate the device becomes the more it will register every tremor in your hand.

Ever tried drawing a straight edge without a ruler?

THIS! I have a whole collection of Rolex Series Grand-Am cars with matching liveries, but they look out of place when they're the only car with a racing livery.

They need to give us the option to force the AI to "wear" any liveries purchased for their car.
Oh dude, I'd love to see those. And I had pondered such a thing before, but what I thought would work better would be fantasy liveries made by the developer, such as what Ferrari Challenge used. They would be hand made for each car.

And thanks for the praise, guys. Much appreciated, even though as I say, I'm just average on the Forza art scale. Most of those decals are stock T10 included, or made by me. A few, I bought at the Auction House. The "gtplanet.net" logo and "GT" were made by our own alba, when he gathered a bunch of us for a sort-of semi-official GT Planet livery paint-off. ;) I noticed a few issues with his work and cleaned things up, fixed up the GT and added the "5" and text for the GT5 logo. I made a big decal sheet of all kinds of GTP/PS/SONY doodads and shared them with a couple dozen people. It was fun times, until the 360 bogged down from the massive file fiasco.

This is the kind of thing that would seriously explode GT6 and attract even more people to the franchise. Just imagine sharing our own decal sheets, liveries like mine, or selling them for game credits, nothing wrong with that. Commissioning an artist to create a team logo or even master livery with variations for others in a club, creating a fantasy league number plaque and league logo...

With all the online club and league stuff coming in GT6, along with single player race modding, I have to say that a Livery Editor is pretty much a necessity. If they do give us such a magical tool, I'll be all

vandammesings.gif

Never,ever ever. Having used a pad to create designs there's no way a motion control device could compete on accuracy.

Remember, the more accurate the device becomes the more it will register every tremor in your hand.

Ever tried drawing a straight edge without a ruler?

To me it depends on the tools which can be used: if there's a touch device to be used for livery and paints, I am sure there will be some user sensitivity settings to make things work.

From what I saw and heard, the personalization is based on rims, aero parts, and likely paint color.

I didnt see or hear a hint of a livery editor at all. But theres still 3 more game shows to go this year
This sounds correct. Keep in mind many of the standards could not be modified in GT5. In GT6 Kaz said that has been resolved. THATS probably his definition of customization. I would not get your hopes up for a livery editor.
How does the Forza editor work? Do you get to import in your own images? Or do they have to be drawn in the game itself?
You get 4,100 shapes per car. You can make ANYTHING in the world you can dream of if you have the patience. Plus you can save the designs you create and put them onto other cars, sell them online in the AH, or gift them to friends. And much more. There are many youtube videos on how the Forza vinyl editor works.

How does the Forza editor work? Do you get to import in your own images? Or do they have to be drawn in the game itself?

Much the same way as Modnation Racers, Even that has a pretty good livery creator. Draw them yourself its pretty easy given a bit of practice :)

It could also be comparable to the COD livery editor. You just stack different shapes on top of each other to make designs. Same with the Rock band editor. But imagine 4,100 PER CAR! :)

Hi all! I have a question bout the customization we are talking about.. we see for example that Nissan GT-R GT3 in the GT6 trailer, and the new R8 Bilstein of the N24h vids.. We will have the possibility to customize them? Instead of they are already with a livery.. What do u think?

Hi all! I have a question bout the customization we are talking about.. we see for example that Nissan GT-R GT3 in the GT6 trailer, and the new R8 Bilstein of the N24h vids.. We will have the possibility to customize them? Instead of they are already with a livery.. What do u think?
Probably already come with the livery, just like all the other cars in the GT series that have liveries. GT wouldn't need as many duplicate variants of cars if it had a vinyl editor. But then again, his goal was to have that many cars, even if there are duplicates.

Probably already come with the livery, just like all the other cars in the GT series that have liveries. GT wouldn't need as many duplicate variants of cars if it had a vinyl editor. But then again, his goal was to have that many cars, even if there are duplicates.

So realistically there are what 600 maybe 700 unique cars from GT5, The community could probably make that many within the first week given a decent livery creator.

The way I see it is and bear with me here BMW M1 with some research and pictures for reference I'd hazard a guess about 25 unique liveried racing cars could be made, Plus that gorgeous art car, So his goal would be pretty pointless when with the proper tools the community could outdo anything out there at present and in the process save PD time and money.

So realistically there are what 600 maybe 700 unique cars from GT5, The community could probably make that many within the first week given a decent livery creator.

The way I see it is and bear with me here BMW M1 with some research and pictures for reference I'd hazard a guess about 25 unique liveried racing cars could be made, Plus that gorgeous art car, So his goal would be pretty pointless when with the proper tools the community could outdo anything out there at present and in the process save PD time and money.

Your correct.
If the bean counters get involved though they could sell you skins for your cars, scrap the editor idea and make more money.

Your correct.
If the bean counters get involved though they could sell you skins for your cars, scrap the editor idea and make more money.

Well yes but with that it could also end up costing them money to get licences etc, Plus bear in mind some of the racing cars we have currently and the fact that lets be honest without the real world sponsors on them (For whatever reason it is) they just don't really cut the mustard with real car enthusiasts, However with a livery creator this minor inconvenience is somewhat moot.

P.s I direct your attention to the Jaguar XJR9 and Lancia Stratos Rally Car :)

Well yes but with that it could also end up costing them money to get licences etc, Plus bear in mind some of the racing cars we have currently and the fact that lets be honest without the real world sponsors on them (For whatever reason it is) they just don't really cut the mustard with real car enthusiasts, However with a livery creator this minor inconvenience is somewhat moot.

P.s I direct your attention to the Jaguar XJR9 and Lancia Stratos Rally Car :)

If you put a little thought into it, this fix is simple.

First off, with a proper livery editor that includes alphabetical and numerical values, recreating a sponsor sticker is simple. (With a little patience.

Secondly, They could cut out the design process (for themselves) completely and simply make every sponsor included in the game into a sticker set (albeit, categorized alphabetically and sorted into pages). It's similar to what's done even in games such as MCLA.

If you put a little thought into it, this fix is simple.

First off, with a proper livery editor that includes alphabetical and numerical values, recreating a sponsor sticker is simple. (With a little patience.

Secondly, They could cut out the design process (for themselves) completely and simply make every sponsor included in the game into a sticker set (albeit, categorized alphabetically and sorted into pages). It's similar to what's done even in games such as MCLA.

Very simple to do infact I myself have done such things on MNR ;)
ModNationtradeRacers_5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Yes they could provide lets call them sticker packs, However I seriously doubt any tobacco brands being released as stickers and such no matter what happens because of red tape, So it would be up to the community to create such things, We all know the best liveries of all time are from tobacco and alcohol companies 👍

Last edited:
I assume you'er being facetious, because they would lose money. A Lamborghini, Ferrari or BMW race car would be desired by as many as millions of GT6 players. Other than a select few stunning or popular designs, a livery would be considerably less so, especially considering the wide variety they would have to make. Some might not sell a single unit.

Also consider how underwhelming community response has been to the preset liveries we got on a handful of cars in GT5. The hue and cry for a Livery Editor isn't as great as it is for damage and sound improvements, but it's there. And as I've said a number of times and will in the future, the club and league builder tools Kaz will give us make a Livery Editor a virtual necessity. If we don't get one, or just get some mundane templates, expect a big outcry netwide, and a lot of flaunting of Forza 5's editor. And then look to see a GT6 editor built pretty quickly.

What do you think are the chances we'll actually, literally, finally, definitely, conclusively, decisively, absolutely, genuinely and convincingly see a livery editor in GT6?

Or will Kaz be blowing more smoke out of his.....you know.

What do you think are the chances we'll actually, literally, finally, definitely, conclusively, decisively, absolutely, genuinely and convincingly see a livery editor in GT6?

Or will Kaz be blowing more smoke out of his.....you know.

Doubt it mate, He said we would get one for GT5 it never happened.

I'm fully prepared for when the Livery Editor does come out and then it doesn't meet everyone's expectations.

I'm really going to be happy with some simple graphics packages, number card placer, and sponsor stickers to at least personalize our cars in some way shape or form. Although I'm not really anticipating anything at all.

Doubt it mate, He said we would get one for GT5 it never happened.

I REALLY hope you're not talking about the one from GTHD. From what I heard; GTHD was scraped out along with the livery editor, GT5 was a new engine, thus there wasn't one. Plus Kaz did say it wouldn't feature in GT5 but it was listed in his to do list he said.

And since you didn't bothered to read the interview (which I bet you didn't anyway). Kaz was asked this.

Jordan: "Is there going to be more car customization options? Are you going to be able to swap the engine or put decals on the car?"

Than Kaz said this.

Kazunori Yamauchi: "Both are technically possible, and we might be preparing it (laughs)." Someone got butthurt over Kaz's laugh (chuckles) but whatever.

So I don't know why you're still stuck in 2006 with GTHD (which was scraped out dude)... LOL! :sly:

Hoping for a full editor or a downloadable template for us to edit and upload.. but i think that's just wishful thinking on my part. I can imagine myself doing up a load of liveries if templates could be downloaded though.

I would absolutely love that. For the folks who aren't good with or can't afford photoshop, there is the livery editor and for people who use it quite abit (like me), the templates would be available as an option.

It boggles my mind as to how even to this day, only a select few console games have done this and one of them did it very well.

Back