The impact penalty: good or bad?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SuntoucherUK
  • 257 comments
  • 12,213 views
Ford 429 Hemi
Eh in GT3 the cars spin easy enough on the gras and dirt, atleast mine do. I think making them spin easier would be unrealistic and jsut dumb. What if you get bumped of the track by a competitor? Then you are screwed cuz now you can't get back on the track cuz you spinning while you try to get back. Unless the car has like drag slicks it ain't gunna slip and spin on grass, even then the grass would hafta be kinda wet.

Uh most race cars do run slicks. You would only spin if you were trying to turn too quickly. And sometimes racers do get screwed by their competitor and end up in the grass.
 
Dev_Zero
Yeah same here xcsti.. But I also think the AI should get the penalty if they do something similar.

yeah and what are the odds of that....
 
bump penalties should be smaller, or maybe they should make a stop and go penalty like real life. That would be cool.
 
I hate it. I hate it so much, its put me off buyning another GT game =/ I think the whole game has been ruined, but thats just me. Ice Arena (hard) made me lose half my hair. I think i broke 3 control pads just on the snow events.

Its annoying because of the awfull UI, more than the effect itself. They hit YOU and you get stuffed. on the hard ice events you cant make mistakes. Its all down to luck.

And yeah, all those leetest pricks saying learn to race better ..... yeah GG with that advice.

The game is ment to be fun, and i cant see how ripping your hair out is "fun".
 
My biggest complaint is the penalty when you hit the pace car. I've been doing the Nurburgring IA15 test and have hit the pace car SO many times because I know a line thats faster than his.
 
Let's face it, the game is very flawed. Shame really, but that's the way it'll have to stay. I just hope the sequel is more bug free than 4, and for that matter any of the other games.
 
SuntoucherUK
My main hope is that PD are true to their word that this isn't the final AI system and we see it improve before the final game.

Final game :( is GT5 the last GT game from PD?
 
I think he means the "final game" as the GT4 has been widely recognized as the beta version of GT5. :)
 
Why would PD stop making GT games? They wouldn't, not for a fair while anyway.
But yes, the rumours that GT4 would be delayed until being on the PS3 weren't entirely wrong. The PS2 release was a sort of interim solution to have the complete version running on the PS3. The delay to the console's launch should mean the game arrives a more respectable time from the console's release. Only the 3 has enough power to give GT4 proper graphical justice, and we know from photo mode that the came can render some superb images. All the detail needed is there, but the 4MB graphics chip on the PS2 can't do it in motion. Hopefully we'll see closer to photo-mode graphics in realtime in Vision GT/GT5 even if that's one of few additions. All we really know to expect is more than 6 cars and better HD support. We'll have to see what the refined take on the impact penalty is. I think it's the only way that they can simulate damage properly, and the only way to obtain maximum annoyance during events!

with that regard to the damage debate, I wouldn't be bowled over with surprise if at some point between now and GT6 (yeah i know, a long way off but hear me out) there's a small GT sub-game like concept/prologue with a load of toyotas that you CAN damage. Toyota have always been pro-damage, and if other games can do it, PD can. They now have the hardware to do it, so do it!
 
Greycap
I think he means the "final game" as the GT4 has been widely recognized as the beta version of GT5. :)

Oh ok, sigh of relief.

Polyphony001
Why would PD stop making GT games? They wouldn't, not for a fair while ayway.

I didn't think they would, but I was quoting the OP and was a little curious why the next release would be the last.
 
Photomode only anti-aliases the scene after rendering it as a fixed image. The photomode locations themseleves are higher detail because theres less location overall than a track, the tracks don't get their detail levels upped when you photodrive, or take a photo from a replay, just a bit of AA, nothing specially hard to implement, would just bugger the frame rate if they did it during actual driving. I honestly think theres far too much being read into this GT4 was designed for the PS3, it was being designed 5 years ago. I expect GT5 to feature graphics that far surpass photomode in GT4, which was nothing special, it was good, but all it was was getting rid of the jaggies which is only AA.
 
Potentially, I hope so too, but if we expect too much then it'll be GT4 over again, and we'll be left disappointed.
 
You know you can get away with the penalty if you hit the wal with tthe back of your car, right?
 
Polyphony001
Potentially, I hope so too, but if we expect too much then it'll be GT4 over again, and we'll be left disappointed.
That blue RX-7 and silver EVO IX were a lot more detailed than anything in GT4, I expect all the cars in GT5 to be like that, as Kaz said after thast VGT vid was shown. You are right though, you can easilly expect too much, but if the best the PS3 can muster is GT4's photomode, I will not be impressed with the grapics one bit. Sure they're good, but good for a PS2.
 
Me? i hate it becaue even if THEY hit YOU YOU still get the penalty!!!! :mad:👎
 
I don't see a problem with the penalty. It has taught me most of my driving skills and has teached me to be a little more cautious and to pay attention to the AI's line and to stay away from them. The penalty, in my opinion, was meant to be a teaching tool. I think it was added to teach the user how to be a better driver without making stupid moves like using the AI's cars as a way of getting around that tight turn or using the wall to turn the car on the dirt/snow tracks when the car is not responding properly.

However, I do agree that getting the penalty when you get hit was a bit much, but I think it's fair when you get the penalty when you hit the wall or another car. In reality when you hit another car, whats the penalty? You loose your license, depending on what country you live in, or get it suspended and can get a ticket or what ever the law is in your country. Yet, I feel it makes perfect sense to have the penalty. Whats the point of palying a true to life racing game when all you do is hit the AI just to get around a hair pin or use the wall to get around the tight turns on the rally tracks? All those gamers who are not new to the GT series would agree with me on one point, hitting the AI or using the wall to get around the tight turns is just plain foolish. If you drive like that, then I believe you deserve the penalty.

All in all, the penalty I feel was meant as a teaching tool and wasn't meant to "pull your hair out".

Either than that, the game is very enjoyable, and has and always will be the number racing game in my book.
 
I agree with the game's supremacy, but we'll have to see what the system is capable of either on 480i or with a VGA adaptor, because I'm not going to have an HDTV if i get one, and I'll be wanting decent graphics, at least to some degree.
And yes you do get away with it if you hit the back of the car, but it's not easy to do every time.
 
Back