The impact penalty: good or bad?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SuntoucherUK
  • 257 comments
  • 12,198 views
Moving on from hallucinations involving arachnids, I reckon they will let you turn it off in arcade mode, but fix it on or off for races in GT mode.
 
i just reread what i posted, it makes perfect sense
 
It'll be on, and it had better be better than it is, otherwise, we're just gonna have to try and dodge walls and cars as best we can. With the calibre of the people we have here to compete against online, I don't think it'll figure that prominently.
 
Solid Lifters
No, I don't think having the option to turn off the penalty in GT4 would ever happen. It defeats the entire purppse of having the thing in the game. PD puts the penalty system in the game for a reason, to stop the cheating. If that was an important reason enough to include into the new game, then why the hell would PD allow you the option to turn it off?

It was selectable in GT2, why wouldn't it be in GT4?
 
Lethalchem
It was selectable in GT2, why wouldn't it be in GT4?
There was a penalty system in place in GT2? Where was it? I never noticed it.
 
penalty system in gt2 >?>>> :dunce:
 
i think they should do it for online play,it will show who the real drivers are not the wall riding clowns like in some other game!,it doesnt take much skill to ram walls...
 
The wall riders won't gain enough time in most every scenario to gain an advantage over fast drivers. This is my main complaint- no matter how much wall riding some do, the real drivers will still be faster.
 
I read an article which said they had a beefier version of it
 
pyro3
i think they should do it for online play,it will show who the real drivers are not the wall riding clowns like in some other game!,it doesnt take much skill to ram walls...
I agree 100% with you. The penalty system should only be for online play. Online is where we need it the most.
 
I really don't like this idea. Just the thought of the AI punting you into a barrier (armco, whatever) and getting off Scott-free while you hunker along at 23 mph is gay. Especially at the end of a close championchip. That would have a suckage factor of 10. 👎
 
Simple...........HATE new penalty system!!! :grumpy: I want to hit other opponents and wall ride as much as I want!!!............however........penalties should be for online play only!

Did anyone ask Amar if the BMW demo had a 10 seconds penalty thingy.......????
 
Eagle
It'll be on, and it had better be better than it is, otherwise, we're just gonna have to try and dodge walls and cars as best we can. With the calibre of the people we have here to compete against online, I don't think it'll figure that prominently.

I totally agree. I really think its really stupid on prologue for one tiny bump you get 10 seconds at 50 kph, it just makes it less fun.
 
If you want to turn it off, just go to gamesettings and change to amateur/easy or what its called, and turn it off.Ok, you will only get two laps a round, but i found it amusing on the Italian track cause some of the corners there are oversensitiv.And you get to experience freedom a la gt3.
Hope Kazu get this... :)
 
Some people seem to really dislike the penalty system in GT4Prologue - but come on, isn't it just adding a sense of realism? - you could'nt get away with wall-hugging or bashing opponents in real life - so why should you in GT4?

If you drive badly then you should be penalised. In the licence tests, if you hit the wall or other cars (GT4P) you fail - no one complains about this!

In other games like ProRace Driver, you hit a wall or an opponent and you are penalised - no one seems to mind this.

Why not penalise crappy driving in GT4 as well?
 
I just don't like the fact that in gt4 the AI's don't play clean either. When you run a corner bad they just bash into your bumper. They always hold their line. I think it is too hard to determine who had the right of way, You or the AI. In real life they don't penalized both drivers only the only who is at fault.
 
xcsti
I think it is too hard to determine who had the right of way, You or the AI. In real life they don't penalized both drivers only the only who is at fault.

Normally in motorsport its always the guy who is behind who is at fault. Drivers are not expected to be looking in their mirrors.

Also if you notice in Prologue you can nudge the cars in the lessons so long as you have got your nose in front. I also thought they did move off the racing line as you come through the inside, you have to be slow and steady about it and give them time to react, but I'm sure they move over in many of the lessons and in Arcade mode.
 
I really hate the penalty system in Prologue, so much so, that it has put me off playing the game. It can be so unfair the way it is implemented.

There is no intelligence to the system. A car hits you, you hit the wall, you get the penalty. If you were in the position of the car making the first contact, you would probably have got a penalty. But the computer cars can bash about off cars, off walls, off you, and continue at their current speed.

If they're not going to implement damage, or the apparent consequences of contact. Then don't bother with a penalty system that trys to cover for bad AI.


Hopefully when the game comes out, the AI will be improved, and the penalty system will be confined to the online part of the game. And if not, it'll have the option to turn the penalty system off. Otherwise it could ruin a great game.
 
redhed17
I really hate the penalty system in Prologue, so much so, that it has put me off playing the game. It can be so unfair the way it is implemented.

There is no intelligence to the system. A car hits you, you hit the wall, you get the penalty. If you were in the position of the car making the first contact, you would probably have got a penalty. But the computer cars can bash about off cars, off walls, off you, and continue at their current speed.

If they're not going to implement damage, or the apparent consequences of contact. Then don't bother with a penalty system that trys to cover for bad AI.


Hopefully when the game comes out, the AI will be improved, and the penalty system will be confined to the online part of the game. And if not, it'll have the option to turn the penalty system off. Otherwise it could ruin a great game.
I think it would take the fun part away from the game. It's probably going to be very frustrating especially for 10 seconds.
 
redhed17
I really hate the penalty system in Prologue, so much so, that it has put me off playing the game.

Don't let it get to you :) You must be driving at the NY circuit, it's next to impossible to hit a wall at Fuji or Tsukuba, and Citta has no opponents.

I thought you didn't get the penalty for hitting other cars, and it was just for walls, but it turns out I hadn't hit the AI cars hard enough :D
Just did a test and T-Boned one on a bend at 160Kph, it sent him flying :lol: but I did get a penalty for 10secs, which is good.

If you select easy in the options, the sensitivity for the penalty is reduced greatly, but you only get 2 laps, as Monty mentioned
 
Its more irritating on the Citta course. Hitting the wall slows you down enough to ruin any good lap time you could get, but then the penalty kicks in, and then its "what's the point of carrying on". There is one particular point as you start going back up the hill into the more built up section of the town, that there seems to be a curb sticking out. You hit that and you normally come to a dead stop, then you get the 10 second penalty on top. :mad:
 
Oh yes...I know the kerb you mean! Evil thing :crazy:

Thing is though, these days I'm putting in lap times for the db.de database and a wall hit, or even rub/kiss/brush makes it an illegal lap time, so I'd be hitting the exit button anyway :)

Don't take this the wrong way, but you won't get a decent lap time by hitting the walls, even without the 10sec penalty. ;)

I like the penalty, its not so much an increased realism, (because some of the impacts I've had would kill me!) its more of a slap on the wrist, to remind you to drive clean. :)
 
redhed17
Its more irritating on the Citta course. Hitting the wall slows you down enough to ruin any good lap time you could get, but then the penalty kicks in, and then its "what's the point of carrying on". There is one particular point as you start going back up the hill into the more built up section of the town, that there seems to be a curb sticking out. You hit that and you normally come to a dead stop, then you get the 10 second penalty on top. :mad:

I think that is the last sector on the Citta course, right after the hairpin. Try to get a late apex, I mean LATE, so you car will be pretty much align with the road when you exit the corner. Remember, a 10 sec penalty is actually forgiving if you crash you car into that curb. In real life you will be out of the race.
 
The trouble with the GT series is the 'invinsability' issue when colliding with other solid objects, there is very little in the game forcing you to drive like you would do in reality. There needs to be a penalty given for 'unrealistic' driving, and the 10 second penalty seems to be the best option. The AI in GT4 is said to be improved over that in Prologue, so perhaps the AI cars will react better in those situations where in previous games they seem to have no concept that you are also on the track with them.
 
All these posts all sound the same, just put 'i agree' or 'me too' or something, its bugging me.
 
Polyphony001
All these posts all sound the same, just put 'i agree' or 'me too' or something, its bugging me.

If there was fifty posts that said "me too" and "I agree" then they really would all sound the same :p
 
Polyphony001, if you don't like reading similar sounding posts, you're on the wrong site. :)
If it's specifically this thread, don't look at it anymore. :) It's that simple.
 
I always drive whitout using the walls, Its my point thats how you get the most fun.Citta has a new way of teaching this by giving 10sek penalties and illegall lap times.Even if you go four laps and touch the wall on last, it wont get in the list, and I have ****ed it up by swithcing bettween pro and easy.
My Elise is quicker than my Merc, on that list. It cant help touching the edges all over, and frankly it gets interrupted to much.Same with Grand Canyon, it must be a better way.What if your tyres wore out faster like in GT3? Well not for Prologue anyway but GT4.
 
...i hate the penalty!!!...it´s ur own mistake and u are sad about hitting the wall instead of driving very well but then this silly punishment!!!!argh!!!
 
Back