The Interiors Thread.

United States
Marin County
I feel like this is missing from the Cars-In-General section. A thread devoted to automotive interiors. It is, of course, the space we actually occupy while operating a car, so it's fairly important. I, myself, am a designer so the interior of a car is just as important, if not more important, than the exterior, and is huge consideration to me when buying a car. That said...I've had cars with some truly awful interiors; foxbody mainly. I don't think there should be really any restriction on whats posted here. Stock, custom, weird, cool, super-modified, race car. I think it should, like the imports thread, be a collection of all that is interesting within the realm of automotive interiors.

I have a particular interest in gauge clusters, especially older types with interesting lighting. I absolutely love older Merc gauge clusters, especially at night.

I'll start things off with the Merc W108:
4791066495_3388766338_o.jpg

Beautifully and elegantly simple interior.
DSC_2741_EDIT_RS.jpg

Amber backlighting :)
DSC_2869_EDIT_RS.jpg

In general, I feel car interiors have become to 'noisy' or complicated design wise. But the newer Mercedes Benz and a few imports like the BRZFRS pair have started to move back to a more restrained look.

Anyway, I have no idea how this thread will go, but I hope people contribute!

Pre-996 911's have one of the best interior layouts I can think of. I love how shallow the dash is and how simple and direct everything is. The singer improvements are simply gorgeous.

Everything I love about cars could be condensed and explained by a 911 tachometer.
porsche_911_10k_tach_tachometer_twinspark.jpg

The typeface, the size of the numbers, the angle of sweep, the zero position, the scale of the needle, the scale of the needle center, the extension of the needle past the center, the size of the hashmarks, the scale of the two size hashmarks next to each other, the color of the face, the color of the needle, the color of the backlighting, the placement of the tachometer itself, . It's just perfect. It simultaneously looks beautiful at the same time acknowledging that it is an instrument for conveying important information about the engine; it's very easy to read at a glance. Whoever designed the tacho for the 911 agonized it for a very long time, I'm sure of it. I think that's what I love about the 911. Every inch of it was agonized over to support the entire concept of the car as a whole. Every detail serves that concept of purpose and speed. And it starts with as something as small as a tachometer needle.

Now we get cars with a big flat instrument panel printed onto one large circuit board with a multitude of plastic bezels and trim rings that try to separate out individual "gauges" sitting at the base of some awful chromed-plastic tube with distracting coloring, poor resolution LCD displays and big honking piece of flat transparent plastic in front. Ugh.

Last edited:
I like the interior in the Z32. It's clean and simple.

And I just love how the switch's for the air, lights and wipers are right in front of you by the gauge clusters.
1990_Nissan_300ZX_(_Z32_)_Twin_Turbo_T-Top_008_6692.jpg

Interior-right.jpg

Last edited:
Two of my favourite modern supercar interiors.

Zonda
image.jpg

Spyker C8

image.jpg

I also love any old Ferrari with a proper Nardi steering wheel.

image.jpg

And as @Heldenzeit already posted, the Singer 911 interiors are perfect.

Will post more later, there's loads of awesome interiors on loads of different style cars.

I like the interior in the R33 Skyline

R33GTR7.jpg

Simplistic with everything aimed towards the driver. While you could consider it a fairly generic 90s interior there are little details that set it apart in leaps and bounds to me.

Of course, I'm biased as heck since I own one but it remains the most pleasantly simple cabin I've ever been in - nothing really distracts you from driving as everything is within reach.

My next favourite would be the Z32.. I own one of these too.. yeah I should stop because I'm literally just saying I like cars I own, which of course I do otherwise I wouldn't own the freaking things :lol:

Want to see some of my favourite interiors? Too bad, here they are anyway.

I've always felt that the British and Italians do interiors the best. They're the best at making you feel special. Italian interiors are generally very stylish and sporty, while the British interiors are more luxurious and warm. I like simple interiors, generally with curved and circular details rather than square and boxy designs. A good interior will make you feel comfortable, and will make you feel like you're the most important person in the world. It will always make your day.

Jaguar XJ - It's an interior that makes me actually say "wow" every time I get in one. Not think it, say it. It's incredibly luxurious but sporty at the same time. Everything is perfect except the infotainment system. Wow.

Jaguar-XJ_2010_1280x960_wallpaper_7d.jpg

Lamborghini Countach - You're in a crazy car, and the no nonsense interior looks crazy and comfortable at the same time. Restrained and over the top at the same time.

84ee4889e0a03a4cea5aae180e316ba9.jpg

Lamborghini 350GT - :drool: No explanation needed.

2012-08-14-09.28.28.jpg

Ferrari 250GT SWB - :drool: Still no explanation needed.

59_Ferrari-250GT_SWB_1539_DV-10-CC_i03.jpg

Audi S5 - Audi interiors generally leave me cold, they're attractive but emotionless, which pretty much sums up Audis in general. The S5, for whatever reason, feels a lot more special than most Audi interiors. The design is one of Audi's best and it fits perfectly with the S5's size and character.

2014-Audi-S5-Cabriolet-Interior-Image.jpg

Aston Martin DB5 - The only car I've looked into and formulated a way of stealing it from the middle of a crowded exhibition centre. Seriously, you look at it and just want to get in and drive.

Aston_Martin-DB5_1963_1024x768_wallpaper_07.jpg

Singer 911 - Pure and simple, but the attention to detail is incredible. A perfect interior, simple and elegant, luxurious and beautiful, sporty and focused.

Singer-911_2012_1024x768_wallpaper_48.jpg

Pagani Zonda - Overwhelming to look at, with the most incredible details. But the basic design is simple, classic, and driver focused. The materials are perfect and the ambiance is Doctor Who meets Rolls Royce.

Pagani-Zonda-Interior-Wallpaper.jpg

Pagani Huayra - Oh, you thought the Zonda was over the top? Behold, the Huayra. It's the Zonda taken to another level, even more incredible metalwork and more carbon fibre. I marginally prefer the Zonda for its simpler design, manual gearbox, and elegant airbag-less steering wheel. But look at that gauge cluster, and that shifter. Words cannot describe them.

5.jpg

Back