The Interiors Thread.

1956-Porsche-356-Speedster-Interior-1.jpg

I feel like I'm in the minority, but I've always preferred the design of the 348, inside and out, to that of the 355. The 355 has better wheels though.

I prefer Ferrari round taillights. I don't know the reason why, but the 348 seemed to be born of the Testarossa than 308-328 lineage. The 355, even though it looks pretty much the same bar the taillights, makes a switch back to 308-328 lineage. In my mind.

It seems to me that during the development of 355, Ferrari kinda just took the other more rounded parts/design cues from other Ferraris like 456 and 550, redesigned them a bit, in order to have more time to improve reliabilty and performance. 348 is very boxy and simple lined all around, while 355 somehow feels like 348 with some curves added, but not a lot.

But still F512M is way more extreme in tacking on parts, very uncoherent and felt rushed. It could have been at least as pretty as NSX NA2 comparing to NA1.

EDIT F355 is a beatiful car IMHO dont get me wrong

Last edited:
It seems to me that during the development of 355, Ferrari kinda just took the other more rounded parts/design cues from other Ferraris like 456 and 550, redesigned them a bit, in order to have more time to improve reliabilty and performance. 348 is very boxy and simple lined all around, while 355 somehow feels like 348 with some curves added, but not a lot.

But still F512M is way more extreme in tacking on parts, very uncoherent and felt rushed. It could have been at least as pretty as NSX NA2 comparing to NA1.

EDIT F355 is a beatiful car IMHO dont get me wrong

I do find the F355 to be very pretty, but the front bumper is a little to incoherent with the rest of the nose. It's not as bad as the 512M as you said (or the final few Lotus Esprits), but once I noticed it, I couldn't unnotice it. Of course, I certainly wouldn't kick one out of bed...

The 348 was Ferrari hubris at its finest, an unrefined, unreliable driving experience they thought would sell on badge alone (see also 328 and Mondial). But then, as if by magic in the early 90s, Porsche had figured out how to build a 911 that wasn't actively trying to kill you, Honda and Mazda had managed to build globally sold sports cars that were sharper, faster, better built and more reliable (not the FD RX7, mind you) than a 348 for less money (and it's honestly a good thing for Ferrari that Nissan never bothered to move the R32 GT-R out of Asia), the C4 ZR1 was a 400hp thing, as was the Viper (though that's a bit of a stretch as the early Vipers were quite crude)... People realised you could have the pace, styling and exclusivity without the expenses of owning a Ferrari... The F355 was Ferrari's "Hail Mary" and "oh ****" moment, it had to work or else they were completely screwed, hence why it feels a little bit, erm, rushed in some areas.

I do find the F355 to be very pretty, but the front bumper is a little to incoherent with the rest of the nose. It's not as bad as the 512M as you said (or the final few Lotus Esprits), but once I noticed it, I couldn't unnotice it. Of course, I certainly wouldn't kick one out of bed...
at least Esprit's design evolved and it remained very coherent, even in final V8, and its hard to find the prettiest Esprit IMHO.

on topic of interiors
citroen_cx_1974_photos_4_b.jpg

Interior of probably the most impressive camper ever build : KiraVan

Equipped 7 seven communication masts that collect data, the KiraVan is like an airplane, “but stuck to the ground,” . It carries specialized technology for communications, telepresence, navigation, mapping, still, film, and video production, remote exploration, physical and chemical analysis, geology, archaeological survey work and digs, scientific field research, and thorough trip documentation, as per Applied Minds. It’s not just a citadel able to take you anywhere in the world, through water and sand, and up 45-degree inclines, and a luxury condo, but also a rolling research lab.

the-kiravan-remains-the-most-expensive-impressive-and-outrageous-overlander_9.jpg

Everything inside has been designed specifically for the project. The passenger seat behind the driver, which is Kira’s spot, for instance, was created by Bose and is an adaptation of their noise-reduction tech found in their headphones. This time, though, it’s applied in the vibration spectrum in order to reduce humps and shudders, to make the ride as smooth as possible, regardless of the terrain being crossed.

the-kiravan-remains-the-most-expensive-impressive-and-outrageous-overlander_10.jpg

the-kiravan-remains-the-most-expensive-impressive-and-outrageous-overlander_11.jpg

Nearly look like a TFT instrument screen.

Edit: Don't know if anyone posted the Mazda RX500 interior recently. It's the 50th Anniversary for that car.
images - 2021-03-21T065438.362.jpeg

Last edited:
I was randomly looking at Nissan Elgrands earlier today and notice that the E51 generation (2002-2009) has an interior very reminiscent of the latest trends in terms of infotainment/instrument panel integration. Take a look:

b8557e6d0c684a455fc5035de6f167a8.jpg

That's from 2002! Compare with the 2022 VW Golf

2022-volkswagen-golf-r-interior.jpg

The old Elgrand's interior actually looks more contemporary than most of Nissan's current lineup...

Recently unveiled at Auto Shanghai, the Ora Punk Cat is a shameless electric pastiche of the VW Type 1 (aka Beetle). Assuming this is the production form, the interior is rather wild.

punkcatinside.jpg

Recently unveiled at Auto Shanghai, the Ora Punk Cat is a shameless electric pastiche of the VW Type 1 (aka Beetle). Assuming this is the production form, the interior is rather wild.

View attachment 1006200
I saw the car. Definitely is a modern take but I know if VW was to bring back the Beetle they would go for a different approach.
upload_2021-4-22_21-26-7.jpeg

The side profile gives me modern Tatra or Chrysler Airflow vibes.
upload_2021-4-22_21-29-53.jpeg

upload_2021-4-22_21-28-20.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, when that "Down" part is pressed, it goes down. When the "Up" part is pressed, the "Down" part goes up. GMLogics™ :lol: :sly:

That’s how it should be: leather up front, fabric in the back. I know parents can argue that, but the rear seat is the spacious and relaxing place of, obviously, a car with enough rear seat space. ;)

Back