The Interiors Thread.

The 2019 Mercedes A Class. Not bad for an entry-level luxury car:View attachment 802657

Speaking of the A-Class (and other new Mercs) their steering wheel controls are.....a bit much. It's like when a scriptwriter writes in a line of dialogue for a movie that in his/her head must sound world-changingly profound, but to the rest of us just makes us cringe uncomfortably.

Basically, Mercedes new steering wheel is this, but on a steering wheel.

This post might be somewhat meta.

Speaking of the A-Class (and other new Mercs) their steering wheel controls are.....a bit much. It's like when a scriptwriter writes in a line of dialogue for a movie that in his/her head must sound world-changingly profound, but to the rest of us just makes us cringe uncomfortably.
I've spent a bit of time with an A-class recently, and while the sheer number of things you can change from the wheel and numerous other ways is a bit much, the controls do at least make sense.

Mercs have become immediately easier to use since their cruise control functions moved from that incomprehensible little stalk to the wheel spokes, and in the A-class (and I presume others) the two small touchpad controls are logical, because they control functions on the corresponding left/right screens. Probably the best thing about the A-class though is that the voice controls work really well, so for certain things - say, navigating to a destination, or even changing the temperature - you don't need to use any physical controls at all.

I do have one criticism of the new A though, split into three parts:

49858613_249848435897679_8808711905259566431_n.jpg

Those are the four display options in the A35 I drove - from the top, Understated, Classic, Sport, and Supersport. Problem one is that Supersport is quite badly designed - the bars for speed and revs are almost unreadable at a glance, and are illogical in that they get graphically smaller the higher you go on each - if I'm going fast or revving high, I want those to be more obvious than if I'm sitting at a standstill at idle... you do get an enormous flashing display at the redline which is more obvious, but otherwise it's designed to look cool more than it is to relay useful information.

Problem two is that most of the time I'm driving I actually want very little information and as few distracting graphics as possible. For that, you have Understated at the top. It's great at night - quite subdued in your peripheral vision. The not-so-good thing is that you can't have your navigation data shown in the central screen in Understated, and trying to view the nav data immediately reverts the screens back to the last pre-Understated version you were looking at. For all the other configuration options available - in Classic and Sport you can change what you see in both dials and what you see between them - that seems like an oversight.

And problem three is that the car I was driving had a HUD, and that makes conventional displays more or less redundant anyway. I find myself virtually never looking at regular instruments in cars equipped with a HUD, because it's so much easier and quicker to process information that's almost directly in your field of view, rather than several more inches below it. All that effort went in to designing fancy gauges, and I barely looked at them...

I'm going to look at an A4 cabrio tomorrow (I live in a seaside town now, it's a no brainer...) and I always thought the interior looked nicer than the 4-door's.

audi__a4_cabriolet_1_8_t_let_sitzhz_leather__pdc_5_speed_2008_5_lgw.jpg
$_58 (3).jpeg

The bottom one is the one I'm looking at. It has that typical elegant Audi look, but with an added bit of TT character from the round vents.

Never knew that the Opel Speedster actually had an interior like this.

images

But it does share obvious bits of it from its cousin, the Lotus Elise, particularly the layout, the transmission tunnel where the shifter is sitting and even the 3-spoke steering wheel design, not to mention the color of the leather seats and combination of black-silver accents as well.

images

Btw, I wonder why both of these roadsters don't have power windows as a standard feature during that time? Both of the examples above are MY2005.

The VX220 definitely had the nicer looking interior. That one appears to have the aesthetic vertical brace from the transmission tunnel to the dashboard.

Btw, I wonder why both of these roadsters don't have power windows as a standard feature during that time? Both of the examples above are MY2005.
Possibly to keep the weight low? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I hope so but for something that costed more than an average family car before, one would wonder why. :)
It was originally a weight and simplicity thing I believe (and when the Elise first came out, it was relatively affordable - less than an Impreza Turbo here in the UK - so the price of the car doesn't really have a bearing on it).

For the past decade or so - possibly more - Elises have had electric windows as standard however. Strangely, that's also still a weight thing - motor technology moved on enough that the simple mechanism for electric windows was small and light enough it was apparently easier than using a crank.

My favourite Elise interior is still the original S1, rather than the later cabins or the VX. That Lotus/Nardi wheel is the nicest they ever put in the car, the vents along the top of the dash look neater than the ones perched at the front (also, fact fans, I believe those vents were an old Alfa Romeo 33 part...) and the original Stack instruments were the clearest of any of them too.

IMG_9919-938x558.jpg

It was originally a weight and simplicity thing I believe (and when the Elise first came out, it was relatively affordable - less than an Impreza Turbo here in the UK - so the price of the car doesn't really have a bearing on it).

For the past decade or so - possibly more - Elises have had electric windows as standard however. Strangely, that's also still a weight thing - motor technology moved on enough that the simple mechanism for electric windows was small and light enough it was apparently easier than using a crank.

My favourite Elise interior is still the original S1, rather than the later cabins or the VX. That Lotus/Nardi wheel is the nicest they ever put in the car, the vents along the top of the dash look neater than the ones perched at the front (also, fact fans, I believe those vents were an old Alfa Romeo 33 part...) and the original Stack instruments were the clearest of any of them too.

Lotus really killed it with the S1 Elise. What a harmonious blend of brilliantly-resolved minimalist engineering and aesthetics. It's like a piece of industrial art, that car. A budget Mclaren F1.

Lotus really killed it with the S1 Elise. What a harmonious blend of brilliantly-resolved minimalist engineering and aesthetics. It's like a piece of industrial art, that car. A budget Mclaren F1.
Perfect car at the perfect time. Pure blank-sheet engineering at a time when regulations permitted certain things you probably couldn't get away with today. Styled at a time when aggression wasn't yet in fashion, and when you could take inspiration from the past without pandering to it - Julian Thomson took inspiration from the 246 Dino he owned when styling the car. And you could get away with true minimalism in terms of specification because cars weren't so lavishly equipped back then so something pared-back looked less stark.

It's a shame Lotus seems to be focusing on producing another meaningless hypercar with a four-figure horsepower number, when a new Elise with the original's fresh thinking would be truly special.

Perfect car at the perfect time. Pure blank-sheet engineering at a time when regulations permitted certain things you probably couldn't get away with today. Styled at a time when aggression wasn't yet in fashion, and when you could take inspiration from the past without pandering to it - Julian Thomson took inspiration from the 246 Dino he owned when styling the car. And you could get away with true minimalism in terms of specification because cars weren't so lavishly equipped back then so something pared-back looked less stark.

It's a shame Lotus seems to be focusing on producing another meaningless hypercar with a four-figure horsepower number, when a new Elise with the original's fresh thinking would be truly special.

I sometimes find myself watching those mindless 'decades of fashion' youtube videos in which they dress up a model in an outfit typical of each particular decade from 1910 until now. The 90s are routinely, if not always, the worst. Architecture (more my wheelhouse) in the 1990s was also derivative and awful in a kind of direct-to-consumer kind of way. How is that so much good car design came out of the 90s? Maybe the exemplary examples (S1 Elise, FD RX-7, Mclaren F1, etc) have overshadowed the blobby-genericism that plagued many cars of that period, and I've simply forgotten. Still though, 90s fashion was whack.

I sometimes find myself watching those mindless 'decades of fashion' youtube videos in which they dress up a model in an outfit typical of each particular decade from 1910 until now. The 90s are routinely, if not always, the worst. Architecture (more my wheelhouse) in the 1990s was also derivative and awful in a kind of direct-to-consumer kind of way. How is that so much good car design came out of the 90s? Maybe the exemplary examples (S1 Elise, FD RX-7, Mclaren F1, etc) have overshadowed the blobby-genericism that plagued many cars of that period, and I've simply forgotten. Still though, 90s fashion was whack.
It's weird isn't it. Though I look back fondly on even the weirder 90s stuff, just because it's the decade I grew up in. There's always good and bad sides to everything - some brilliant music in the 90s, but also some awful dross. Ditto TV.

Honestly, I think 1990s car design hit more than it missed. I know American makers had a bit of a poor reputation in the 1990s, but looking back I actually prefer a lot of the ultra-curvy 90s shapes to the modernised but more bland shapes that arrived in the next decade.

Elsewhere there were some obvious hits. 1990s Japanese cars were generally quite attractive I think, and not just the obvious high-performance stuff, but aesthetically the fairly normal cars were pretty good too - think K11 Micra, EG Civic, Mazda Lantis/323. Europe obviously had some high points - some imaginative and very pretty Alfas, Renault had a style renaissance, BMW was generally sharp, almost every Peugeot looked great, Fiat had some fantastic stuff... hell, even Rover produced some cars that were both attractive and competitive.

I think a lot of it stems from the confluence of factors that also make cars from that era quite good to drive, i.e. modern enough to be usable by 2019 standards, but with many of the sensibilities of earlier decades in terms of size, weight etc. In design terms that means curves and neat details, but also good proportions and relatively little visual flab.

Also, I think I've talked about this elsewhere, but in retrospect the 1990s seems like quite an optimistic decade. People were looking forward to a new millennium, the internet was fresh and new, tech was getting cheap, and there was the kind of blissful ignorance you had from not living in the post-9/11 era. The last few decades have been defined by war, terrorism, recessions and divided politics, and the fact you can't get away from it because of social media...

It's weird isn't it. Though I look back fondly on even the weirder 90s stuff, just because it's the decade I grew up in. There's always good and bad sides to everything - some brilliant music in the 90s, but also some awful dross. Ditto TV.

Honestly, I think 1990s car design hit more than it missed. I know American makers had a bit of a poor reputation in the 1990s, but looking back I actually prefer a lot of the ultra-curvy 90s shapes to the modernised but more bland shapes that arrived in the next decade.

Elsewhere there were some obvious hits. 1990s Japanese cars were generally quite attractive I think, and not just the obvious high-performance stuff, but aesthetically the fairly normal cars were pretty good too - think K11 Micra, EG Civic, Mazda Lantis/323. Europe obviously had some high points - some imaginative and very pretty Alfas, Renault had a style renaissance, BMW was generally sharp, almost every Peugeot looked great, Fiat had some fantastic stuff... hell, even Rover produced some cars that were both attractive and competitive.

I think a lot of it stems from the confluence of factors that also make cars from that era quite good to drive, i.e. modern enough to be usable by 2019 standards, but with many of the sensibilities of earlier decades in terms of size, weight etc. In design terms that means curves and neat details, but also good proportions and relatively little visual flab.

Also, I think I've talked about this elsewhere, but in retrospect the 1990s seems like quite an optimistic decade. People were looking forward to a new millennium, the internet was fresh and new, tech was getting cheap, and there was the kind of blissful ignorance you had from not living in the post-9/11 era. The last few decades have been defined by war, terrorism, recessions and divided politics, and the fact you can't get away from it because of social media...

Do people like the current designs? There are some manufacturers that are making some modern good-looking cars but man... we have had a rough decade of automotive design when it comes to most cars.

I'm just a little stuck on the 90s myself... mostly because I love fuel injection and lighter cars, and that seems to be the confluence.

I'm really liking my RSX's interior. I'm actually wanting to install the dash into my old Accord project car.

43948508.jpg

I came in here looking to see if someone had posted a first-gen NSX (and of course they had). But you reminded me how much I love the RSX interior. It doesn't seem to photograph all that well, but it feels and looks great when you're in it. Simple, functional, elegant.

Do people like the current designs? There are some manufacturers that are making some modern good-looking cars but man... we have had a rough decade of automotive design when it comes to most cars.
Well every time a thread on a new car goes up here at least a few people will say they like the way it looks, and I have to assume that for some people the powers of brand or utility or whatever are enough to overlook bad styling (as no doubt the new 1-series will show).

I'd tend to agree though. There are some great looking cars out there currently, there are some outstanding cars in terms of ability, and there are plenty of cars with real character, which is a criticism a lot of older-car fans I know often level at new cars (typically, while driving around in something that was derided in period for being characterless!).

But at the same time, there are a lot of styling disasters, styling disappointments, and cars that bring nothing new to the table beyond being a little more spacious and a little better-equipped than their predecessors. I'm not entirely sure the car industry is in a good place right now in general and I don't think current styling trends nor current vehicle trends (SUVs and crossovers) are helping, even if they're good for short-term profits...
I'm just a little stuck on the 90s myself... mostly because I love fuel injection and lighter cars, and that seems to be the confluence.
I'm unavoidably fond of 1990s cars, having grown up with them, but a lot of people I know from all ages share this opinion - including journalists who worked through that era and grew up with say 70s or 80s cars and have driven everything since, so I think there's merit to the 1990s being a kind of "peak car".

Maybe cars that came out in the late 90s and stayed until the mid-2000s. E46, B5, Focus 1 et al.

VXR
Maybe cars that came out in the late 90s and stayed until the mid-2000s. E46, B5, Focus 1 et al.
Yeah, the sweet spot probably went five years or so into the new millennium. There have obviously been good cars since too, but as far as me really feeling an affinity for certain cars goes, it tailed off into the 2000s. One subtle factor I think is that 1990s cars often delivered on the promise of their concepts better, whereas 2000s stuff was perhaps a little more toned down - possibly again a knock-on effect of the general millennium malaise that came from terrorism and financial crises.

Also, it has to be said, but COLOUR! Both for exteriors and interiors the 1990s seems like the last decade where outside of the world of high-end performance cars, colour was still a big factor in design. To get back on the subject of interiors specifically, I found this Fiat Seicento for sale recently, and look at the colour of its freaking interior:

D55XhrwWsAECYIH.jpg

The Seicento was by no means a 1990s classic, but you could be reasonably guaranteed of being able to buy it in both bright interior and exterior shades. To be fair to Fiat, 500s still come in interesting combos (though most are more subdued than the above), but the Seicento was far from being the only 1990s car with a decent palette. You could get three different interior shades on a Mondeo, even, and on that car who can forget that incredibly vibrant "citrine" exterior shade?

Probably my two favorite exotic car interiors. Such beauty. Such quality. Such craftsmanship. If only everyday cars made these days can use materials such as these rather than cheap bland plastics.
19_FRD_ECO_40422_v4.tif

2005-ford-gt-54.jpg

Something like Ford GT interior shouldn't cost to much.

Back