The Interiors Thread.

The 2019 Mercedes A Class. Not bad for an entry-level luxury car:
2018-mercedes-a-class-interior.jpg

These would be so awesome to assist with people with disabilities getting in and out.
Also great for women in short skirts who wish to preserve their dignity and not pull a Britney.
Or people who are already suffering enough by being forced to sit in the back of a Colonnade, so at least they don't need to break their spines getting in and out.

images

In this tech savvy world we live in today, many people would consider this very spartan. But I think it's very luxurious. Too luxurious...
All I need in a car is a steering wheel, speedometer, and a driver's seat.

Nah. My body's got it's own AC. People got by without AC for the first 70-80 years of cars.
giphy.gif

Okay, maybe some AC would be nice.

Love the VWPorsche+Audi shifters.

maxresdefault.jpg

Corrado
volkswagen-corrado-interior.jpg

3728112693_0941ba53fb_b.jpg

The seatbelt detail is cool.

I prefer the fabric seats though
476501-671-0.jpg

Love the VWPorsche+Audi shifters.

maxresdefault.jpg

Corrado
volkswagen-corrado-interior.jpg

3728112693_0941ba53fb_b.jpg

The seatbelt detail is cool.

I prefer the fabric seats though
476501-671-0.jpg
Man, those steering wheels really do look adorable for some reason, even nowadays. :sly:

The same wheel in the Corrado, is similar to the one that came with my '92 Passat GL. It was more concave though. I switched it out for an Italvolanti wheel. Same wheel without the 16V
eurp_0912_02_o+1987_vw_gti_1990_jetta_gli+gti_steering_wheel.jpg

The shifter was so low. Note: Lots of dummy switches back then. Good for controlling the lights independently. ;)

1988 Jetta GLi 16V. I also miss my old interior(pic from the net).
GLI3.jpeg

Cooper's old and new interior

images

images
I concur. Same case as with the Beetle, actually.

images

20130107121337.jpg
Not quite "new" on either of those - both the Mini and Beetle have had a generation since each of those cabins:

interior-cooper.jpg

interior-beetle.jpg

I personally think the later Beetle cabins were quite nicely done. Less over-the-top than what Mini has been doing, but a few subtle nods to the original designs. And by Volkswagen standards, fairly good use of more interesting colours and materials - I quite liked the Fender edition with its guitar-inspired sunburst wooden dashboard.

Volkswagen-Beetle-Fender-Edition-2013-Interior-Picture.jpg
Definitely a long way from the original 1959 spec interior. So spartan. So functional.
View attachment 805296
Drove a very early Mini with that interior recently (including the gearshift sprouting from the front of the cabin rather than next to the driver). The most amazing thing about it is the space - with no dashboard to speak of and no doorcards (the doors are opened basically with cords, like an F40) there's amazing space for the driver and passengers.

Not quite "new" on either of those - both the Mini and Beetle have had a generation since each of those cabins:

View attachment 805348

View attachment 805347

I personally think the later Beetle cabins were quite nicely done. Less over-the-top than what Mini has been doing, but a few subtle nods to the original designs. And by Volkswagen standards, fairly good use of more interesting colours and materials - I quite liked the Fender edition with its guitar-inspired sunburst wooden dashboard.

Drove a very early Mini with that interior recently (including the gearshift sprouting from the front of the cabin rather than next to the driver). The most amazing thing about it is the space - with no dashboard to speak of and no doorcards (the doors are opened basically with cords, like an F40) there's amazing space for the driver and passengers.
Well, it could be that way since the new ones still have some design cues that may look similar to the design cues of the old ones. The pictures I chose for these cars came from their first respective models circa 50-60s and their 2000s rendition since both of them became popular way back then. And yes, they have some similarities with their old respective counterparts.

By far my most frustrating manual experience was in a magic wand Mini.
I actually didn't mind it. It was a bit of a reach to actually use the shifter, but I found the change quite precise. Probably more so than the "remote change" Minis I've driven.

I actually didn't mind it. It was a bit of a reach to actually use the shifter, but I found the change quite precise. Probably more so than the "remote change" Minis I've driven.
I don't know if it was the 'box or what. I've driven more remote changes than anything else, and some were better than others (which may be down to alignment), but the early car just wouldn't get in gear. The position of the knob wasn't ideal, but I don't recall it being too different from the remote change--it was just a royal pain to find a gear.

What car is this? If you can get this interior in one of their wagons... oh my.

Cars with this much forward dash space (whether it's covered, or busy like this Lambo), and the ones with little quarter windows up front that push the A-pillars far forward... is that not incredibly distracting? So much 'stuff' in my vision's periphery, between the close edge of the dash and where you finally see the road in front of the car, would annoy the hell out of me!

Anyway...

For a while now I've been researching 987.2 Caymans for purchase in the next few years. I want the rawness and (in my opinion) more timeless exterior of that first car, but man I love the 981's interior design. The vents, in particular, just look really cool to me with how they blend the center stack into the top of the dash, haha.

981-cayman-interior-3.gif

The fourth-gen Prelude has been a long-time favorite as well:

honda-prelude-interior-2.jpg

fa597f1b906653181aa523e773360dcc.jpg

The back seats are damn near unusable, but hey, they look good back there!

1992_honda_prelude_2_dr_si_coupe-pic-7326277300505006702-640x480.jpeg

What car is this? If you can get this interior in one of their wagons... oh my.

Cars with this much forward dash space (whether it's covered, or busy like this Lambo), and the ones with little quarter windows up front that push the A-pillars far forward... is that not incredibly distracting? So much 'stuff' in my vision's periphery, between the close edge of the dash and where you finally see the road in front of the car, would annoy the hell out of me!

Anyway...

For a while now I've been researching 987.2 Caymans for purchase in the next few years. I want the rawness and (in my opinion) more timeless exterior of that first car, but man I love the 981's interior design. The vents, in particular, just look really cool to me with how they blend the center stack into the top of the dash, haha.

981-cayman-interior-3.gif

The fourth-gen Prelude has been a long-time favorite as well:

honda-prelude-interior-2.jpg

fa597f1b906653181aa523e773360dcc.jpg

The back seats are damn near unusable, but hey, they look good back there!

1992_honda_prelude_2_dr_si_coupe-pic-7326277300505006702-640x480.jpeg

That back seat does look very good! Almost like it influenced the M3 CSL back seat.

Back