the "just plain ugly" car thread

Yikes.

My dad was thinking of downsizing his BMW X5, and he has been looking a lot at the Sportage. What the hell did they do to it! It looked fine, if not a bit bland before, but Kia decided to follow the big ugly grille trend like everyone else.

1989-1991 Avanti Sedan. Avanti, a small Ohio-based luxury car manufacturer that continued producing and modernizing the Studebaker Avanti after it went out of production in 1964, was suffering from declining sales and on the verge of bankruptcy by the late 1980s. New CEO John Cafaro believed that creating a sedan model of the Avanti would be a way to increase consumer interest, but the result was an even uglier version of the hilariously dated and already strange looking Avanti coupe. Of the 495 Avantis sold between 1989 and 1991, only 90 were sedans. After 1991, following a continued sales decline, Cafaro announced the closure of Avanti's Ohio plant and sold the company altogether.
1990 Avanti Sedan (CC-881316) for sale in Monroe, New Jersey

1990 Avanti Sedan (CC-881316) for sale in Monroe, New Jersey

autowp.ru_avanti_touring_sedan_2.jpg

1990 Avanti Touring Sedan

1990 Avanti Touring Sedan

The new Countach yup i don't like it its just a another Aventador lol. Design wise ehhh were they trying to go for the original 70s Countach or the later 80s ones? because this is like a Frankenstein of both. Kinda looks like a design Rockstar would do for their knockoff brands lol.
COUNTACH (2).jpg

I expected it to look more like this but looks like i was wrong. These renders imo look way better and resemble the Countach (especially LP400) more but that's just my opinion.
lamborghini-countach-50th-anniversary-design-study-would-make-ferruccio-proud-165696_1.jpg

lamborghini_countach_50_1.jpg

Last edited:
Most of Tesla's current lineup doesn't bother me that much. I'm not too big on the Model X, but...then there's the Model Y. The Model 3 it's based on is actually alright. But the Model Y is awful in person. It's so bulbous and blobby...
437325-tesla-model-y-2020-tracer-la-voie-une-fois-de-plus.jpg

1601983757_tesla-model-y.jpg

I do think the designers at Tesla don't understand scaling. If you take the Model S as a base point (which is what they seem to do) you stretch it's pretty sleek proportions directly upwards to get the Model X, which kind of works due to the previously mentioned sleek - long and low, starting point. Once you start compressing the Model S's length to make the shorter Model 3 it almost works, but proportionately appears to have too high a glass area. You then stretch that upwards to make the Model Y and your proportions are now totally wrong, compared with that Model S starting point. It doesn't really help that the X and Y don't appear to have that increased ride height that other car-based SUVs usually come with. Other manufacturers take a model and scale it proportionately intact up and down to make cars in other segments. Tesla just distorts them to fit.
Am I the only person who just sees a smoothed-out Ford Mondeo when looking at Tesla's Model S (and then just oddly proportioned variations to that initial shape) ?

Lexus LS600.
View attachment 1088214

2022 Toyota Tundra
View attachment 1088215

I guess Toyota doesn't want to stop with the big grill trend.
Maybe we shouldn't have been so harsh on "design by committee"; it would have acted as a safety valve. At least one sane person in the room would have slapped the grille team and/or quit in protest, in response to these stupid grille designs.

Last edited:
Lexus LS600.
View attachment 1088214

2022 Toyota Tundra
View attachment 1088215

I guess Toyota doesn't want to stop with the big grill trend.
Toyota have been at it for a while now unfortunately....

1635408897858.png

1635408577061.png

1635408524335.png

1635409044455.png

View attachment 1089679

The car association thread reminded me of this. It looks worse in real life.
I never thought this particular Honda City to be ugly, just...plain and dull. Now that you mentioned it, the rear quarter end feels off. What's with the bulge??

Attachments

• 1635409186331.png
    1635409186331.png
    147.1 KB · Views: 24
I think the problem with the Aria/City is that they tried to convert a one box design into a three box design but ended up with a two box design ... in reverse. The Tiida / Verso sedan is also quite bad for similar reasons.

I don't mind that WRX. Subaru no longer need to make their Impreza-sized car look like a WRC car, even if the name suggests otherwise.

I still think it's a lot of fuss over what is only a base-model WRX. Not like this is the STi or anything.
You could be right, but with how often I see the WRX in general. I have a hunch that I might get tired of it fast or just block it off in my head after a while. We'll see I guess.

I don't think it's that bad really. Have you seen any of the new BMW's? They're all vying for a spot in this list recently!
Indeed I have, didn't you see the post I just made above your comment. The XM Concept. However, the WRX was still something I wanted to post here, it's not as ugly as those, but still ugly.

Last edited:
Indeed I have, didn't you see the post I just made above your comment. The XM Concept. However, the WRX was still something I wanted to post here, it's not as ugly as those, but still ugly.
Yeah I spotted it after my comment went up. Definitely agree with you on that one!

What. The. ****.

outlander-ogi.jpg
Seen a few on the roads by now, it actually looks pretty decent. Clearly Rogue-based, but it doesn't look as whimsical as it does in photos and blends in with other CUVs in it's class. Still, that is a pretty low bar, I will admit.

Back