the "just plain ugly" car thread

I saw a GLB for the first time today and it's... ugh.
mercedes-benz-glb.jpg

At least the GLB make a lot more sense than a jacked-up A-Class (aka. GLA). In fact, I like it more than that blob called GLC.

For some reason the car looks very low for a crossovery 4x4. Might just be the camera angle.

I actually think the new Sonata is one of the best looking midsize sedans out their right now. Maybe I'm biased because I'm a Hyundai owner, but I've seen quite a lot of them in person and the styling has definitely grown on me.

I'm fine with the headlight design, it's the taillights that make me hate it.
I actually think the new Sonata is one of the best looking midsize sedans out their right now. Maybe I'm biased because I'm a Hyundai owner, but I've seen quite a lot of them in person and the styling has definitely grown on me.
That is fine looking machine.
Okay then, I'm in the minority on this...cool!

The Sonata is hideous, and I was completely at a loss for why Jalopnik (in particular) was so insistent that it was the best looking midsized car ever made.

Styling nowadays is all about shock & awe, so most new cars are gonna be weird until we get used to them. We like classic cars because our brains get reinforced over and over as that one shape being beautiful. As soon as something comes out that seems different (i.e. the C8 vs C7) we immediately think it’s ugly. Six months later, we can’t stop looking at it. However,

upload_2020-11-22_20-2-10.jpeg

this will take a while.

Last edited:
The Sonata is hideous, and I was completely at a loss for why Jalopnik (in particular) was so insistent that it was the best looking midsized car ever made.
I'm guessing it's the main trend now to like edgey cars. That's the only reason I can think of in my head why there's people insisting that this is a good looking car.

Offtopic: Maybe that's why one guy sent me multiple comments trying to convince me that edgey line supercars like the Lamborghini Egoista are beautiful when they're really not.

----
To add on my initial comments of the Sonata, what I really don't like about the headlights are the LED lights, they continue upward into the hood when they shouldn't.
2020-Hyundai-Sonata-Sneak-Peek-Exterior-Front-Fascia_o.jpg

But yeah, the stupid sharp angles on the grill and bumper vents don't help either. It just makes me think of Audi's current design language.

----
One more edit:

Those kidneys man, I really don't like them.

Last edited:
Nissan recently relaunched the X-Terra name over here in the GCC. Originally sold in Asian's "Developing Market" under the name Terra, it's based on the D23 Navara and it's slotted between the X-Trail and Pathfinder as Nissan's competitor to cars such as the Toyota Fortuner and Pajero Sport.

upload_2021-3-1_9-56-25.png

And well, it's hideous.

Last edited:
Why is it so narrow?

Because it's based on an SUV rather than the usual large saloon/sedan. 👍

For me it's that weird rear end treatment that makes it look so odd. Without the context of it being placed next to a regular sized car, it gives the rear the appearance of a kei car.

Most of Tesla's current lineup doesn't bother me that much. I'm not too big on the Model X, but...then there's the Model Y. The Model 3 it's based on is actually alright. But the Model Y is awful in person. It's so bulbous and blobby...
437325-tesla-model-y-2020-tracer-la-voie-une-fois-de-plus.jpg

1601983757_tesla-model-y.jpg

Most of Tesla's current lineup doesn't bother me that much. I'm not too big on the Model X, but...then there's the Model Y. The Model 3 it's based on is actually alright. But the Model Y is awful in person. It's so bulbous and blobby...

I do think the designers at Tesla don't understand scaling. If you take the Model S as a base point (which is what they seem to do) you stretch it's pretty sleek proportions directly upwards to get the Model X, which kind of works due to the previously mentioned sleek - long and low, starting point. Once you start compressing the Model S's length to make the shorter Model 3 it almost works, but proportionately appears to have too high a glass area. You then stretch that upwards to make the Model Y and your proportions are now totally wrong, compared with that Model S starting point. It doesn't really help that the X and Y don't appear to have that increased ride height that other car-based SUVs usually come with. Other manufacturers take a model and scale it proportionately intact up and down to make cars in other segments. Tesla just distorts them to fit.

The Eagle, a Chinese Sports car that looks like they took the Porsche Cayman design and put a Ferrari F12's face on the front.
eagle-carrie-104.jpg

Also this, the Tata Magic Iris.
3020_full.jpg

Back