the "just plain ugly" car thread

The Enzo does not need to be that ugly to be functional, case in point being the Carrera GT, McLaren F1, Koenigsegg CC and most other 200mph+ hyper cars.

I guess Pininfarina was just trying to see if he could pen a car on an acid trip, and sell it as a Ferrari. It worked!

I actually like the looks of Enzo, but I think the reason why it looks so awkward is due to Ferrari trying to make the car look like a F1 car.

Everyone's thinking it I'm just posting it...

01aztek1.jpg

Late night partying, booze, heavy drugs and a sprinkle of inbreeding at the top is the recipe for a designer to draw something like that.

Go ahead and disagree... the fact is people buy these just for the badge on them, which supposedly makes them hot and cool and whatnot. Which is wrong.[/QUOTE]

Warning: The following contains a hugely biased opinion by an Enzo lover...

Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to dismiss the Enzo as ugly is to miss the point in the car. The Enzo is an uncompromised masterpiece of function over form and therein lies it's true beauty. It has been said that it looks 'just like an insect', and they may have a point - I would take that as the ultimate complement. Ironically, the desinger was let go from Pininfarina only a year into his second stint, largely due to his 'philosophy of emphasizing practical design techniques and a more rigid engineering-based approach to projects'. Odd, I thought this factor would be fairly high up on the list of making the 'ultimate supercar'. The Enzo is a triumph of design.

[quote="-Fred-, post: 2761166"]The Enzo does not need to be that ugly to be functional, case in point being the Carrera GT, McLaren F1, Koenigsegg CC and most other 200mph+ hyper cars.

I guess Pininfarina was just trying to see if he could pen a car on an acid trip, and sell it as a Ferrari. It worked![/QUOTE]

Sorry Fred, didn't see this post cos I had my text window open for an hour waiting for a lull in work otherwise I wouldn't have said my bit about missing the point.

But...

Who's to say that any of the cars that you mention are better looking than an Enzo though? In my opinion, there is no way the Koenigsegg CC is a great looking car. It's design is very fussy bordering on naive and while it's fast it's not even a good car. In fact I fink it's 'orrible. The Carrera GT, granted, is good looking but it isn't like Porsche haven't been finely honing that particular design for the last 47 years - I wouldn't class it as radical or even fresh. However, I agree the McLaren F1 is stupendously well designed, and like the Enzo goes for form over function in probably the most complete package ever. I still think it's look is a little bit 'safe' though.

PS Didn't we do this before... [URL]https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65731&highlight=ugliest[/URL]

My nomination Koenigsegg (and every post 1980's TVR apart from the Griffith 500, which is sex)...

[IMG]http://digilander.libero.it/Logiko2031/Koenigsegg%20CC%20-%201.jpg

I can't believe that nobody mentioned this car yet....
fiat%20multipla.jpg

:yuck:
flying_electric.jpg

Eliica

And most probably all of the Mitsuoka cars. (just don't know how ugly those lights and grills are....)

Haha, very cool looking car! :lol:

Reminded me of Toyota 4500GT:
112_0702_08z+toyota_4500gt_concept_car+left_front_view.jpg

I think the photos of this car's been banned from the internet. Hardest car to find a pic of on google, I swear!

Haha, very cool looking car! :lol:

Reminded me of Toyota 4500GT...
The Eliica always reminded me more of the Citroën DS.

olddesignwq4.jpg

Interestingly enough, both were praised by their creators as having a groundbreaking aerodynamic shape.

They so could have done Conan O'Brien's "If They Mated" with our two cars. :lol:

My friends made fun of me for it, but i LIKED the Aero 8.

I drive one of those and in all seriousness, it's not that bad, at least it wasn't these:

ChevroletLuminaAPV.jpg

Just look at the hideous thing! :crazy:

Oh and I'm surprised no one's said this yet:
2006_Porsche_Cayenne_ext_1.jpg

[off topic]
My nomination Koenigsegg (and every post 1980's TVR apart from the Griffith 500, which is sex)...

Koenigsegg%20CC%20-%201.jpg

That was actually the prototype Koenigsegg, but did anyone notice that on the prototype, they fitted a wing to the back of it? It was taken off and then obviously wasn't put back on the car as an option until Top Gear complained about not having enough grip after they tested the CCX. The engineers must be on crack when they decided that it was a good idea to take that out.

[/off topic]

Who's to say that any of the cars that you mention are better looking than an Enzo though?
Fact: The Ferrari F40 was very much so function over form.
Fact: No one will ever, ever say the Enzo is close to toppling the F40.
If the Enzo is beautiful because of function over form, then so is the AMC Pacer. And the Fiat Multipla. And the original Scion xB.
I'm not saying the Enzo wasn't functional (and function over form is great, because the opposite gives you rubbish cars like the New Beetle and Audi TT Mk. I). But it didn't look good doing it, nor does any of Ferrari's current range barring the 599 (more or less) and the F430.
YSSMAN
I EATSES TEH BABIEZ!!!11!1!
They actually don't look that bad in the flesh.
DWA
Nor does that.
JCE3000GT
The Caravan? Why? That was just generic and derivative. Hardly offensive.
Stevisiov90
Feast your eyes on this sexy beast...
daewoo_Parts.JPG
Also just highly generic and derivative.
Crash852
I drive one of those and in all seriousness, it's not that bad, at least it wasn't these:
*Lumina Minivan*
Its about to get awfully, awfully physical in here.
stig22121
Yes. Gonna get physical indeed.
JCE3000GT
And anything with these badges on them:
http://chrysler.com/
Come now. I like the Crossfire.

I will, however, submit a design:
bmw635dcoupe20081600x12au2.jpg

this thread is getting very interesting. I used to drive a Pontiac Trans Sport (same as lumina MPV) and it was so ugly it actually made me look good enough to get more women, as long as I was driving it.

It's funny, the more I look at the 6 series, the more I like the front. It has really grown on me, and it's the same for the current 5 series, at least in M trim. The base model really does look goofy, but once all the bodykits have been stuck on, the 5 series does look like fantastic.

The back of the 6 series is, however, inexcusable. It looks like the lights are simply sliding off of the back of the car in the picture Toronado posted. :indiff:

Slicks
And the wheels are horrid... Eighties, anyone?

ferrari288gto02dr2.jpg

The Eighties would like a word. ;)

As for my submission, the badly named and even more badly drawn/scribbled/vomited Lada Peter Turbo:

peter1bigpy5.jpg

peter2biggl6.jpg

Words fail me.

this thread is getting very interesting. I used to drive a Pontiac Trans Sport (same as lumina MPV) and it was so ugly it actually made me look good enough to get more women, as long as I was driving it.
You used a minivan to pick up girls?

I do believe I win.

weber.jpg

weber2.jpg

40207_7uhecm2beg_l.jpg

Weber Supercar
How in the hell did that thing make it into the Monaco Top Auto Salon?

The Enzo I can look at. But the (it is a 612, right?) is just hideous. The only thing that looks remotely cool are the flying butresses. And the wheels are horrid... Eighties, anyone?
It's the 599GTB, and looks undoubtedly better in person.

That was actually the prototype Koenigsegg, but did anyone notice that on the prototype, they fitted a wing to the back of it? It was taken off and then obviously wasn't put back on the car as an option until Top Gear complained about not having enough grip after they tested the CCX. The engineers must be on crack when they decided that it was a good idea to take that out.
Um, Koenigsegg had spoilers available for the CCR and CC8S long before Top Gear.
xin_380902301336171121194.jpg

bbbbbut, i like teh yaris! it cool! almost like teh mini!

gremlin-premier.jpg

omg
Okay, but in it's defense, it is called a Gremlin!
As for the new 6-series, it isn't as pretty as the old 6-series.
But the old one became less pretty when Ford put out a very similar looking T-bird.

My newest complaint about the 3 and 5 series, is how difficult it is to tell them apart.
There is a lot of Bangle ugliness, but could the 5 be enough bigger than the 3, that they look different?

You can't call the restyled Fox Mustang ugly within the context of its rivals. Generic is a better term.
Ugly? The original Fox Mustang? Definitely. The restyled one? Not so much.

You can't call the restyled Fox Mustang ugly within the context of its rivals. Generic is a better term.
Ugly? The original Fox Mustang? Definitely. The restyled one? Not so much.
The notch is also way better looking than the hatch-back.
I just don't like the idea of moving that much shaped glass for fear of breaking it with the first over zealous closing of the hatch.

n78001441_30225207_7146.jpg

The 2008 Focus, no matter what, must be the ugliest car in production today.

Back