the "just plain ugly" car thread

n78001441_30225207_7146.jpg

The 2008 Focus, no matter what, must be the ugliest car in production today.
It never was a really "pretty" car from the off!
But it was, if properly equipped, a "hot" hatch.
Function was definitely put well over form.

The Enzo I can look at. But the (it is a 612, right?) is just hideous. The only thing that looks remotely cool are the flying butresses. And the wheels are horrid... Eighties, anyone?
If you can afford the car, you can afford some aftermarket wheels. I saw a black one recently (with different rims), and it looked absolutely stunning. Photographers have done a terrible job with the newer Ferraris. The 612, 430, and Enzo all look 1000 times better in person than they do in magazines.
The Enzo does not need to be that ugly to be functional, case in point being the Carrera GT, McLaren F1, Koenigsegg CC and most other 200mph+ hyper cars.
Again, the Enzo is gorgeous in person. Photos make it look fatter and pointier than it is.

As for the Carrera GT, it looks like a frog that was run over by a 911.

ferrari-enzo.jpg

2006.Ferrari.599.GTB.Fiorano.jpg

Go ahead and disagree... the fact is people buy these just for the badge on them, which supposedly makes them hot and cool and whatnot. Which is wrong.

I must agree that the Enzo and 599/612 are some of the ugliest cars on sale today. The only thing Ferrari has going for it today is the F430...which was just ruined with the "CS" edition that they aren't calling it--when it is.

I agree with you Fred, even if some people won't. ;) Now, I'm going to catch a ton of hate for this, but I'm just stating my opinion.

Anything designed under this manufacturer:
Pontiac220072.PNG

Yeah, I like 0 of their designs. And that's dating all the way back into the 1930's, when car designs were fairly standardized.

The following are Pontiacs that are not ugly...

Firebird / Trans-Am
Fiero GT (and only the GT model)
1994-1996 Grand Prix (supercharged models only)
1997-2003 Grand Prix (GT or GTP only)
Solstice
GTO
Vibe (all blacked out)

That pretty much concludes the list.

The Enzo does not need to be that ugly to be functional, case in point being the Carrera GT, McLaren F1, Koenigsegg CC and most other 200mph+ hyper cars.

I guess Pininfarina was just trying to see if he could pen a car on an acid trip, and sell it as a Ferrari. It worked!

+1

The Caravan? Why? That was just generic and derivative. Hardly offensive.

Its offensive to me as it wears a Dodge badge. ;)

Come now. I like the Crossfire.

I'll ignore the fact that you said that.

I will, however, submit a design:
bmw635dcoupe20081600x12au2.jpg

The 6-series took a bit to get used to--and once I saw one in person (and sat in it) I fell in love. The M6 is just pure sex.

You sir are definately on crack. The M5 isn't ugly, it isn't pretty either. But it most certainly isn't ugly. The Mustang is an acquired taste...but again it isn't ugly. And the notchback is pure sex.

n78001441_30225207_7146.jpg

The 2008 Focus, no matter what, must be the ugliest car in production today.

Wrong wrong wrong. The new Focus while ugly, it definately can't compete with the ugliness of anything from Chrysler...ever...in the history of ever.

Gil
My newest complaint about the 3 and 5 series, is how difficult it is to tell them apart.
There is a lot of Bangle ugliness, but could the 5 be enough bigger than the 3, that they look different?
Compared to the 1990s, BMW practically hands you the clues today.

-----------5-series--------------------------3-series------------
5and3qa6.jpg

Not to mention the more-subtle proportional clues that can only come from familiarization.

Everyone's bashing the 599 GTB. Though overly fussy it looks infinitely better in person. I've seen three on the road now; grey, silver and rosso red, and they really do look sexy. This one (coincidentally in Hong Kong) IMO looks great in black with the black wheels.

bt000145506630cj5.jpg

Same with the 612. Even though it's not wipe-the-drool-off-your-chin sexy it looks far better in the metal than in the pictures. I also saw a black on black one - very Mafioso.

JCE3000GT,
I must take umbrage at two of your pontiac slanders.
Not all the Firebird/Trans-am's were good looking. From about 1980 till the "K.I.T.T. style F-bird were Fugly, as are the last gen of T/A's with all that ugly body cladding and crap.

Also, you left out the mid '60's Bonnevilles with those stacked headlights and big "J-lo" back ends! Perfect for cruisin' the boofa-lard (boulevard).

As for the Vibe, it's not as pretty as the Toyota it's a copy of, but if Peter Egan is okay driving one, I won't complain too much.

Compared to the 1990s, BMW practically hands you the clues today.

-----------5-series--------------------------3-series------------
5and3qa6.jpg

Not to mention the more-subtle proportional clues that can only come from familiarization.

Is that sarcasm that just hit me in the eye?:)

Anyone that knows me will know that I am not a fan of TVR*, so I present to you the abomination that is the 450 SEAC. Only 40 were produced which for me is 39 too many (I need one for photo reference), but they say there are more of these TVRs on the road (oxymoron alert) today than were actually built!?! Someone in my village used to have one and when I was young and naive I used to drool at it through my window. Looking back I don't know what I was thinking...

*However, I do love the timeless 90's Griffith and the '89 Tuscan Challenge/Racer/Speed-8 (great one make series in the UK btw).

TVR 450 SEAC (Looking horrid whilst going round a corner at Castle Combe)
seac01ek6.jpg

Separated at birth? Should have been drowned...
tvrwallacekz1.png

Gil
JCE3000GT,
I must take umbrage at two of your pontiac slanders.
Not all the Firebird/Trans-am's were good looking. From about 1980 till the "K.I.T.T. style F-bird were Fugly, as are the last gen of T/A's with all that ugly body cladding and crap.

I actually feel that there has NEVER been a bad looking Firebird or TA. Infact I can't say the same about the Camaro. 1970-1981 Camaros were hideous.

Also, you left out the mid '60's Bonnevilles with those stacked headlights and big "J-lo" back ends! Perfect for cruisin' the boofa-lard (boulevard).

I left out some of the 60's Pontiacs mainly because anything from the 60's looked pretty damn good. I figure its understood that classic American cars as a whole just look good. My favorite classic car has to be the 1970 GTO along with the '69 SS396 Camaro.

As for the Vibe, it's not as pretty as the Toyota it's a copy of, but if Peter Egan is okay driving one, I won't complain too much.

I do like the Toyota variant, but I saw an all blacked out Vibe a couple of years ago and I seriously liked it and considered trading my Focus in for one. I decided against it mainly because I wanted to keep my Focus. 👍

I actually feel that there has NEVER been a bad looking Firebird or TA. Infact I can't say the same about the Camaro. 1970-1981 Camaros were hideous.

The '70-'72 were okay, only if the bumper did not cross the bottom of the grill.

I left out some of the 60's Pontiacs mainly because anything from the 60's looked pretty damn good. I figure its understood that classic American cars as a whole just look good. My favorite classic car has to be the 1970 GTO along with the '69 SS396 Camaro.

My bad, I was worried about you for a minute there, however.

I do like the Toyota variant, but I saw an all blacked out Vibe a couple of years ago and I seriously liked it and considered trading my Focus in for one. I decided against it mainly because I wanted to keep my Focus. 👍

I've owned a number of Pontiacs and Fords. You made the wise choice.
Though, Egan (of R & T fame) Traded in his Mini Cooper S for a Vibe.
He lost cool points for that one, but he also has a Boxster, so I forgave him.:lol:

It does look like it eats babies :lol:.

That, or it sucks up little hamsters with its vacuum cleaner front end and forces them to run on their little wheels to provide power to the rest of the vehicle...

...And again I sate; The only redeeming feature of this car is FordSync and a moderately attractive interior. Thats really the only good thing I can say about this car...

Gil
Though, Egan (of R & T fame) Traded in his Mini Cooper S for a Vibe.
He lost cool points for that one, but he also has a Boxster, so I forgave him.:lol:

WTF? He traded is Cooper S for a Vibe? Is he mentally ill? And owning a Boxster doesn't redeem anything--infact I'd say you LOSE "cool" points if you have one. Only exception is if you put on the bodywork of an 911 and a turbo or two. ;)

Don't think I've seen it before, but I like it.

Thanks for reminding me about TVR, though.
050619222139kr7.jpg

You and I seem to be disagreeing a lot. I love the new TVRs, particularly the Sagaris. They all just look so different that it automatically makes them cool...

Don't think I've seen it before, but I like it.

Thanks for reminding me about TVR, though.
aetvrtuscanspeed604dl5.jpg

I personally find that Tuscan so ugly that it's not even remotely amusing. It looks like blancmange.

I love the new TVRs, particularly the Sagaris. They all just look so different that it automatically makes them cool...

Interesting, because I see this as automatically making them a laughably amateurish outfit.

You and I seem to be disagreeing a lot. I love the new TVRs, particularly the Sagaris. They all just look so different that it automatically makes them cool...
I would never wish for a world in which TVRs looked different from the way they do now. A TVR is supposed to look like something that crawled out of a deep sea trench -- it's what makes a modern TVR a TVR.

But that doesn't stop me from thinking they're ugly.

I'll have to agree on that part, the Sagaris is my favorite TVR.

I could have easily picked on Lincoln just as easily. But after the Hearse. Then the Caliber, now the Nitro (which deserves it's own thread of criticism) and what I just saw was the "New" Grand Caravan. I'm sorry Dodge, but in the game of designing cars, you lose.

Another car worth mentioning:
22Coming_m_m.jpg

Nissan Cube

0511_tokyo_01+2006_daihatsu_tanto_fchv_concept+front_side_view.jpg

Daihatsu Tanto FCHV Concept

And heres my local car:
photo.jpg

Proton Juara

(am i seeing a pattern here :odd:)

Seriously...that vent thing in the roof...what? why?

It's not a vent as such. The Sagaris is a harder-core, track-biased version of the T350. The raised roof area is there to accomodate the extra head space needed when wearing a helmet.

Latest Posts

Back