The Latest TREND.

Canada
Canada
photonrider
Have you used the F-bomb while sexting yet?

How about hitting up Paul Ryan’s FB, doing the ‘Henny Penny’, or otherwise having an aha moment about something that will become the latest trend?
What is the latest trend?
How does something become a trend, enough to actually make it into the Dictionary and therefore valid enough to be used?
The word ‘bootylicious’, for instance. Official and in the dictionary - but no one probably remembers the dog who first first coined it. Or would even snoop around to find out.

Trends of course come and go - but some stay and become a part of our thought, language and lifestyle.
Take our trending involved in the videogame Gran Turismo - Jenkins (a kitty cat), sponging (to borrow a car and dupe it before returning) or Bob . . . I heard the word ‘Bob’ for the first time way back when I used to haunt GTVault - but now it seems to be a household word (in GT households anyway) when applied to AI bots that drive virtual cars. And does anybody actually know who first said ‘Bob’ in that context? The oldest post about Bob that I can remember is still the one I read at GTVault. In the dictionary yet? Not yet. Guess we’ll have to trend that more.

In the dictionary - the one on this side of the Atlantic anyway - are some brand-new words and phrases, as of today official - systemic risk, sexting, mash-up, gastropub, game changer, bucket list, aha moment, cloud computing . . . I’m gassed; go look them up yourself.

Of course there is always that trend we don’t know about . . . yet . . . but heading towards us at the speed of thought. Can we know it ahead of its time? Being the first to know is always trendy.
So . . . latest trend? Anybody know?

C’mon. Make our hats fall off. :)

Things like Twitter, Facebook, cloud computing, become verbs in my language. I can understand that, but things like sexting, that's a dictionary being a teen.

Have you used the F-bomb while sexting yet?

How about hitting up Paul Ryan’s FB, doing the ‘Henny Penny’, or otherwise having an aha moment about something that will become the latest trend?
What is the latest trend?

What on earth is sexting, what is an F-bomb, who's Paul Ryan, and who/what is (a) Henny Penny?

Latest trends in the teenager world, if I've noticed anything. It's usually the uncool people do something for awhile, and they're shunned for it, but about a month later the cool people start doing it too. By then again the uncool person has moved on, and isn't even credited for starting the latest trend. I'm an uncool person, my mate and I started the aviator sunglasses trend that was here for awhile. I was making silly noises before it was cool, and more... :P

Carlos - teens are a very powerful force in our society - at least socially. When millions of teens accept a word - and these people are going to be the generation that will soon hold more than social power as they age - the word (or the new concept applied to it) has to be accepted as the norm for ease of communication. Sexting? Um . . the Bard of Avon is rolling in his grave. :lol:

Skython
- yes, you get the discussion. This is what I'm talking about - how younger people love to trend. Someone keeps wearing a particular hat - and Bingo! - unless you have the hat, too, you are uncool. In fact most schools would have a 'trendy' gang that everybody else must follow to be cool. Or else turn into a rebel without a cause. But then do that with sufficient savoir faire and that becomes cool and the latest trand.
As for your queries - Henny Penny is applied to those who run around touting Doomsday Scenarios (sky is falling! everybody prepare!), F-bomb - well, when you drop that 'bad' word inappropriately, and as for Paul Ryan - I can only predict that if Romney steps down, the whole world will be hearing about him soon. If only that he made FB crash. :)

I am interested in 'trending' in a different way, though. I'm always interested in investigating, recording, and analysing what goes on around me ( I'm a 'patterning' addict - I look for patterns constantly) - and trying to track down who called the GT4 bot 'Bob' has eluded me for a long time. Google is no help. It gives me only what it thinks I want - and its thinking is all muddled because of the various people that use this computer to search for stuff. Anybody else know for sure who named 'Bob'? I know who named Jenkins - and it was BobK who coined the term 'sponging' - but what about Bob?

Oh my word. Just as I was trying to find 'systemic risk' in the dictionary... I found swagger. I found swagger in the dictionary. What. The hell.

Dictionary
swagger verb walk or behave arrogantly.

There's also a section in this very same dictionary explaining how to reply to an informal email and the many sayings of text speak and what they mean. There's some here that even I didn't know existed, and I'm 14!

Oh my word. Just as I was trying to find 'systemic risk' in the dictionary... I found swagger. I found swagger in the dictionary. What. The hell.

There's also a section in this very same dictionary explaining how to reply to an informal email and the many sayings of text speak and what they mean. There's some here that even I didn't know existed, and I'm 14!

Swagger is a real word that's existed for decades, if not centuries. Using "swag" as a slang term for cool or whatever it means is new but the word isn't. People have been using "swag" as a term for free stuff for ages, too. ("I got a bunch of cool swag from the Red Bull booth at the F1 race!" or whatever.)

Swag and YOLO are so annoying to hear.

I can't stand YOLO. What makes it even worse is the fact that Drake didn't even come up with it. It's a restaurant in Florida.

All these people who use 'YOLO' as an excuse to do stupid things are just... well, stupid. The hint is in the term. You Only Live Once. That means make the most of your life instead of spending it inside a prison and giving yourself a criminal record.

Honestly, I don't care. Generally, trends among 'poplar' people are silly and pointless and will go out of style in a few months anyway. [/NERD]

I had no idea 'swagger' had been around for ages. I think what surprised me most was that the dictionary included the meaning of the slang term. It surprised me that a dictionary would even include slang. I suppose because slang is used so widely now they feel the need to include it. People like Cher Lloyd have probably plagued my mind about the word 'swagger' too. :scared:

I had no idea 'swagger' had been around for ages. I think what surprised me most was that the dictionary included the meaning of the slang term. It surprised me that a dictionary would even include slang. I suppose because slang is used so widely now they feel the need to include it. People like Cher Lloyd have probably plagued my mind about the word 'swagger' too. :scared:

It's not a slang term, that's what the word actually means. A quick google tells me that it's been in use since at least 1596.

Unless it also listed a different meaning in addition to the one you quoted.

Patrick
Swag and YOLO are so annoying to hear.

The only time YOLO is funny is when the Hindu residents sign their e-mails to me with "YOLO...I Don't". I laugh everything because it's true.

A large group of my friends use "swag" and "YOLO" in a "Wow, thats funny to say because it's so freaking stupid" sort of way.

Thats how we do, ya feel?

Last trend I knew about was that so called planking... some people died doing it I believe.

Also Xzibit was trolled hard throughout the whole ordeal. He hated it.

Last trend I knew about was that so called planking... some people died doing it I believe.

Also Xzibit was trolled hard throughout the whole ordeal. He hated it.

The one day I stay and watch 4 of my mates at Jazz Band practice...

They stand, play their part, and then they have about 8 lines of rest...

"Plank! Plank! Do it!"
They planked on their stools. For whatever reason, it was highly hilarious at the time.

I am the pinnacle of cool and trendy. I set the trends and put the 'ooooo' in cool. Once anybody copies my style it is no longer cool and I evolve like a Pokemon. I am Jack's pancreas. I really don't know what I'm talking about.

/Thread

or maybe not.

^
The above is definitely a trend I do not enjoy. When someone has nothing useful to add to a conversation they just flood it with garbage that wastes the time of everybody.

Its definitely now trendy to proclaim yourself as a nerd and have public "nerdgasms" where you pitch a fit every time you see something "nerdy" like a Transformer trailer or any new comic book movie trailer

Its definitely now trendy to proclaim yourself as a nerd and have public "nerdgasms" where you pitch a fit every time you see something "nerdy" like a Transformer trailer or any new comic book movie trailer

Transformers is not nerdy. It is insanely mainstream. A nerdy movie is anything with a plot. Also, it is nerdy to correct someone on their grammar or facts about obscure things, not to make a fuss over terrible films. Yes, I am proud to be a nerd.

^
The above is definitely a trend I do not enjoy. When someone has nothing useful to add to a conversation they just flood it with garbage that wastes the time of everybody.

I think you misunderstood what I was getting at, I mean, I evolved the internet as you knew it. No ifs, not but, I have come forth and made cool cool.

W3HS
I am the pinnacle of cool and trendy. I set the trends and put the 'ooooo' in cool. Once anybody copies my style it is no longer cool and I evolve like a Pokemon. I am Jack's pancreas. I really don't know what I'm talking about.

This man is the bee's knees, Arthur, he is the wasp's nipples. He is, I would go so far as to say, the entire set of erogenous zones of every major flying insect of the Western world.

Matty the Dogs siggy?

How about 'I want to break free from your lies, your so....self-satisfied....I don't neeeeeeeeeed yooouuu. I want to break free...'

EDIT: RIP Douglas Adams. You shall be sorely towelled.

^

Or are they just 'premium' posts tossed to the hoi polloi? ;)
The problem is rather why one man's garbage is another man's treasure. Trending is not a mob effect, either, or stalking, or copy-catting, imitating, or metaphoring for the sake of reflected glory - though all of these come into play in trend-setting. Example: say someone 'cool' etc, has a particular typestyle they use and someone else picks it up and also uses it, that's not really trending - that's more imitation connected with reflected glory.
Let's say a little mob of people go around tossing bricks whenever they see plate glass. That's just vandalism. Let's say it becomes the 'norm' to see little mobs going around tossing bricks - now we're getting closer to a 'trend'. If after that there are only mobs going around tossing brick - then it's not a trend anymore - it's become what we would take as a 'normal' boring, routine, untrendy lifestyle. Everybody's doing it.. Not cool.

Nerds do seem to be in the news lately with a few trends - including the return (yes, trends 'return' ! :lol:) of the mohawk. But with a twist - that's what makes it ultra-trendy. A nerd on The Mars rover team is sporting one currently - and causing waves from what I hear. In fact interest seems to be spiking. Nasa nerdism usually involved crew-cuts and pocket-protectors. seems like nerdity is reaching a new high. ;)

But can a trend be dangerous?
Oh! yes.

Traditional diet on the island of Okinawa is thought to be the healthiest in the world. Okinawan diet had a lot of soy, fish, fruits and vegetables, with small quantities of meat. People in Okinawa lived longer than people anywhere else in the world. Most Okinawans expected to live beyond hundred.
Then along came the trend of fast food.
With the new presence of U.S. military bases on the island, McDonalds opened shop on the island in ‘76 - now Okinawa has the most burger restaurants (per person) in Japan. Younger generations were loving it. It now also has the highest obesity rates in Japan. The life expectancy has plumetted. The elderly Okinawans who disregarded the trend and continued with their traditional diet are outliving the new generations who are dying quicker.

Some trends are dangerous.

And some new words I'm picking up recently - but maybe old hat to some :
Juggalos? (Musicians whose fans are looked askance at by the FBI) And 'gaffecentric'? (After Biden's gaffes)
as for 'The Ryan Effect' - I don't know how long that's going to last! :lol:

Cheers,
Harry.

I can't stand YOLO. What makes it even worse is the fact that Drake didn't even come up with it. It's a restaurant in Florida.

All these people who use 'YOLO' as an excuse to do stupid things are just... well, stupid. The hint is in the term. You Only Live Once. That means make the most of your life instead of spending it inside a prison and giving yourself a criminal record.

Well said. As for the latest trend? Who does know really. All of them seem to just spontanieously become popular. Whether it's 'swag' 'yolo' etc. It can be anything, all it takes is a few celebrities to start saying random garble, which the followers see and start saying because they want to be like the celebrities, not themselves. Probably because they're insecure and they don't like who they are so they act like someone that the mass majority like. Most of these 'trends' are unintentional and quite frankly, if you created a trend, are you really going to want to be recognized for something that won't last long because a catchier, and fresh word or expression comes along?

This man is the bee's knees, Arthur, he is the wasp's nipples. He is, I would go so far as to say, the entire set of erogenous zones of every major flying insect of the Western world.

Doesn't work, shem lives in China ;)

EDIT: Wait not now he isn't :dunce:

Last edited:
The use of "Bro" in everything.
How many do you know?
Brotank
Broswag
Broscarf
Broad Trip
No bromo
Brody
Bro Kicks