The Latest TREND.

I have a hand-held air compressor that can get one spinning pretty good. I need to rig something up with a phototransistor probably and an oscilloscope or frequency counter or some such to see just how fast it goes.

There was a brief period of a few weeks between seeing fidget spinners get popular and them appearing in half of my students' pockets.

Any seen in class will be taken and added to my collection of Pokemon caps, bouncy balls and small dinosaur toys, all previously owned by distracted students.

It's a pretty harmless craze really, it's a lot better than the methadrone that kids were getting high on a few years ago.

@Shaun - Thank ye for the friendly 'welcome back' wave. Have been on the road for a year now and in no way to post in the usual way - photobombing GTPlanet or waxing philosophically about some mundane object like okra - so only contented myself with dropping in on occasion to check on those not having fallen back behind the social networking wayside.
Nice to see you around - always a pleasure to rap with you from the other side of this distraught planet.

Now admit it - you fidgeted in secret, right?

@Jimlaad43 -
Jimlaaaaaaad! Trust you to filter that through. Hilarious, rustic, charming, and horrifying all at once.
I'm thinking the microbes on those spinners are right now
discussing the 'Big Bang'!
Some might even have invented gods. :lol:

@BobK - photos of your demise, please.

@Obelisk - you, my friend, are tapped into the collective consciousness. Got the next lottery numbers, by any chance?

@W3HS - napkins, lighters, pokemons, spinners - you have storage problems, buddy. No wonder you have a bike as a getaway vehicle.

Last edited:
Now admit it - you fidgeted in secret, right?

:lol:

Yeah but my fidget spinner looks like this.

5441df8e3a5e28ae204d163942ded6c3.jpg

If that isn't the 9mm chrome vanadium that Don Shimoda tossed around, I'm going to be sorely disappointed, highlander.

Kinda funny isn't it that that the wheel (once a ''trend') now works itself into everything 'new'?

But - to really get the point of the fear that drives our survival - how about a a mini crossbow that shoots toothpicks?

Some of you know what I'm writing about. Give it up. Or stop others doing it before someone gets nailed in the eye and misses the rainbow.

Damn dollar. All you can buy is pleasure. Programmed.

Fidget Spinners.

Officially - since it is now mentioned here at GTPlanet - the Latest Trend.

Right now as hot as all the other trends that have been mentioned in here (and which have now gone their way - proving they were only trends after all and not at all like ice cream or pencils) this particular trend is taking over the schoolyard, office desk, and paediatrician's waiting room.
Does it help with ADHD?
Is Hettinger involved? Or is McCoskery responsible for this skullduggery?

GTPlaneteers! Confess! Are you fidgeting right now?
Which one do you have?

Are you fidgeting with the iPhone Fidget Spinner Duo? Or spinning Batman? Zelda? LEDs? Rainbow, PlayStation, Glow-in-the-Dark?

Word of advice - don't try to take the Satan Spinner through Airport Security. You'll have a devil of a time persuading them you ain't a Ninja.

I prefer natural fidgeting over this new... Trendy artificial fidgeting. :lol: Now I sound like one of three things. A buzzkill; a hipster; or someone playing with something... *ahem* Heinous. ;) However you would be disappointed to find that natural fidgeting is just drumming on desks with hands or feet, or restless leg syndrome (one of those "syndromes"). Or things like that.

I prefer natural fidgeting over this new... Trendy artificial fidgeting. :lol: Now I sound like one of three things. A buzzkill; a hipster; or someone playing with something... *ahem* Heinous. ;) However you would be disappointed to find that natural fidgeting is just drumming on desks with hands or feet, or restless leg syndrome (one of those "syndromes"). Or things like that.

I have a son who is a 'natural fidgeter' - in fact he naturally fidgeted at my home-bar counter last evening and, before I realized it, had destroyed some blueprints I had left there. He was diagnosed with ADHD when very young and actually had to be sent to a special school - very much calmer now but still a terrific fidgeter. I asked him (after discovering my mutilated, crumpled, ripped blueprints) why he didn't get himself a fidget spinner and he said he had already tried one and it didn't hold his interest too long. A few minutes later he returned to the counter with a Rubik's Cube and started fidgeting with that. I approved.

Fidgeting is, I guess, a very human trait. Inventions come about because of that. But I agree with you, Skython, fidgeting to be 'trendy' - or for that matter sourcing the latest, shiniest, whizzy-whizziest fidget spinner to be 'trendy' because it is a phenomenon that is trending within society is quite socially lame. If one needs to fidget, then at least fidget with some purpose, if only to relax the synapses.

And what's trending very hot lately?

Ah. Yes. 'Glamping'.

More about that later after some study about the trend. :sly:
Hopefully not till the cows come home.:lol:

Ah. Yes. 'Glamping'.

I don't like the term but the activity itself is something I'd give a go.

Typically my camping experiences have ranged from multi roomed tents and kitchenette area to Boy Scout triangular tents in a frozen wood in British winter to a sleeping bag under a tarp tied to a motorcycle on a tropical beach.
I've done a variety of camping and enjoyed it all. I'd do glamping too, but I wouldn't call it that.

I'm guessing it's a way for people who can't deal with roughing it too much but like the feeling of being outdoors and closer to the wild. People with high-maintainace families or those who are too 'sophisticated' to get dirty banging in tent pegs.

My wife won't camp, but I'd bet she would glamp. I think I might even be able to convince her to try it on our upcoming Japan trip.

My wife won't camp, but I'd bet she would glamp.

For some reason I read that as 'clamp' and my mind immediately fell into the gutter. :lol:

I don't like the term but the activity itself is something I'd give a go.

The term originated in the UK around 2005 - I believe that it's quite hot in the UK - though the trend to glamp is now fast becoming mainstream rather than 'trendy'.
And, after all, what better place to stick a comfortable yurt in the middle of a bunch of cows than some sylvan pasture in Somerset?

Typically my camping experiences have ranged from multi roomed tents and kitchenette area to Boy Scout triangular tents in a frozen wood in British winter to a sleeping bag under a tarp tied to a motorcycle on a tropical beach.
I've done a variety of camping and enjoyed it all.

I'm an avid camper myself - canucks take to camping like ducks to water - but camping fell by the wayside for most after Larry and Sergey came up with counting links; we needed to stay connected and most times camping took us away from the internet.
Glamping quite often offers wifi. What more could one want than sitting around gazing at sheep while checking out the Don's latest tweet?

I'm guessing it's a way for people who can't deal with roughing it too much but like the feeling of being outdoors and closer to the wild. People with high-maintainace families or those who are too 'sophisticated' to get dirty banging in tent pegs.

That is probably it - the ancient 'hunter/gatherer' DNA wallowing in convenience - a sure-fire attraction.

Edit: Zummerzett, zummerzett, what an aimless misspell. *sigh

Last edited:
My daughter bought me a fidget spinner two weeks ago with her own money. I like to piss off other first class passengers by twirling it.

Of course, by my very ownership of any particular item, it means the trend of it died five years ago, which is a time paradox.

^
The image of you twirling on a flight, Pupik, makes my cheeks ache from grinning. Yaw-dropping.

Trends, of course, as I mentioned earlier, don't necessarily mean something 'trendy'.
This trend of using vehicles to mow down people must be curbed - but how do we stop it? It seems to be picking up speed, and being a pedestrian is now a hazardous occupation. This takes us back to the time someone had to walk in front of the autos with a red flag.
Add to it the fact that self-drive cars are now making their way into our lives, and quite apart from the AI road rage that is bound to occur, the possibility of using remote vehicles to plough into the population is downright horrendous.

Back