The Le Mans General Discussion Thread

Old Boone any comments on the sound of the Audi's? I'm intrigued to hear what the smaller six-cylinder diesel sounds like.

Old Boone any comments on the sound of the Audi's? I'm intrigued to hear what the smaller six-cylinder diesel sounds like.
I'm just guessing, but if the R15 sounds like Fssssssssssshhhhhhhhhh
The R18 likely sounds like Fssssssssssshhhhhhhhh

Duffers917 - Yep, pretty much as FoolKiller described it. ;)

The car will be very difficult to hear during a full race. It's a quieter version of the R15...I can't really remember how loud the R10 was as I haven't seen it race since 2008 but I want to say that car was also more quiet than the R15. I was only able to spot the R18 for about 3 turns but when it was on the straight coming towards turn 7 it sounded like a small jet taking off from about a half mile away (which could be from the tires and/or wind). And there's a little bit of engine noise when it's accelerating out of the corner but not as much as the R15.

I've heard the 908 and R10 and R15 at the LMS but I was just wondering if the R18 was a bit more grumbely. They both sound like jets but whenever I've seen the 908 it sounded a bit nicer as it had a nice gravelly rumble, and I was wondering if that's changed at all.

Duffers917 - Yep, pretty much as FoolKiller described it. ;)

The car will be very difficult to hear during a full race. It's a quieter version of the R15...I can't really remember how loud the R10 was as I haven't seen it race since 2008 but I want to say that car was also more quiet than the R15. I was only able to spot the R18 for about 3 turns but when it was on the straight coming towards turn 7 it sounded like a small jet taking off from about a half mile away (which could be from the tires and/or wind). And there's a little bit of engine noise when it's accelerating out of the corner but not as much as the R15.
If I recall correctly the R10 was quieter. I had a year between seeing the two cars in person, but I remember thinking I could hear more of a rumble in the R15.

You still heard more wind/turbo whine/tires (whatever was making the Fssssshhhhh noise) than anything on either one though. I just remember the R10 sounding like a UFO coming over the hill toward turn 6 at Road Atlanta.

Da Matta, Junquiera and P.J. Jones. will be driving the RSR Jaguar.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/alms-da-matta-junqueira-and-jones-sign-for-jaguar/

Also the Sebring poster is unveiled:

Sebring_Poster_013111_1.jpg

Last edited:
Im really hoping they have fixed all of the teething issues they were having with there cars. It was so painful to watch them be out of the race almost immediately at every race last year.

And the Sebring poster looks nice. Very retro. Shame I'm going to miss the first 2 months of the race season.

Im really hoping they have fixed all of the teething issues they were having with there cars. It was so painful to watch them be out of the race almost immediately at every race last year.

I wish them well. As a CART fan, I'm curious to see how these open wheel guys fare in the ultra competitive GTE class.

We've seen quite a few open wheel guys make the transition to sports cars pretty well in the past, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're quick...Like you, I hope the car will last until the checkered flag.

Is this now the Sebring 2011 General Discussion thread?

If it is (or if it is becoming that for the next few weeks) can anyone kindly point me to the Entry List? I'm unable to find it in the official site but I guess it's probably my mistake, should be published already (at least a provisional one), shouldn't it?

Is this now the Sebring 2011 General Discussion thread?

If it is (or if it is becoming that for the next few weeks) can anyone kindly point me to the Entry List?

That's the reason I had wished all of these topics hadn't been combined into one thread. I'd rather see separate topics for ALMS, ILMC and LMS.

So far, no official entry list for the 12 Hour although there are several guesses out there on what teams/cars will be contesting the race. The Winter Test for next week has been updated a few times but currently stands at 32 cars - http://americanlemans.com/files/events/2011/0/ALMS%20Sebring%20Winter%20Test.pdf

That's the reason I had wished all of these topics hadn't been combined into one thread. I'd rather see separate topics for ALMS, ILMC and LMS.

Me too. But given what we saw this past weekend about the numerous threads about Grand Am, Daytona 24h and the future rules (none were merged like this one), I'm sure we're ok with starting individual race threads.

This is one is a pretty big mess, even if I tried to label what race series everything goes into.

Im hoping at least 1 of there entry's gets accepted for the 24. The GT has so much potential and I wouldn't be surprised to see the #04 fighting with the others. Murray has shown before in qualifying just what that car is capable of.

Peugeot will have a brand new car at Sebring. It'll have a 3.7L Turbo diesel V8. The shape is pretty similar to the R18.
Maybe they'll brand their car as the 908-R18Too?

Peugeot will have a brand new car at Sebring. It'll have a 3.7L Turbo diesel V8. The shape is pretty similar to the R18.

We've all seen the 'new' 908, it looks as much like an R18 than the old 908 did. It simply looks like a 908 but with additions and a reduced size sides and engine cover .

Last edited:
The confirmed entries for this years Le Mans 24 hours have been announced.
http://www.lemansrace.com/news/le-mans-24-hours-2011-participants-confirmed/100/

Glad to see Robertson Racing got an entry.

GTE Pro is a Ferrari and Porsche field day it seems, but didn't expect to see a Lotus in the mix. Still expect to see the Corvettes win the class.

And seeing as Highcroft is on the entry list for LMP1 im hoping thats a good sign that they have finally got there problems sorted.

Flying Lizards going with a 2-pronged approach to GT, I see.

It'll be strange to see other cars race with the numbers that have been with Corvette Racing for the last decade or so.

If things go allright for the Nissan powered prototypes, will we be seeing Z's and GT-R's in the GT ranks soon?

wow I didn't even notice that my first time through. I saw the 3 and the 4 and noticed they had Gavin in the #73 and Beretta in the #74 and thought it odd that they mixed that up but didn't even realize its not the #63 and #64. Wonder why the ACO didnt give them there usual numbers.

Back