The life of the rookie - A narrative

• Thread starter amartya
  • 12 comments
Aint got no PS3
R U kidding me?? a XBOX!! nOO
I was greatly motivated by the amazing write ups by many on this forum, so i thought i would give it a try. I mean how hard can it be?

Do comment on my work.. all suggestion welcome

Last edited:
Mid-afternoon, winter's morning. I had passed my driving test, second time lucky. I ached now to get my hands on a car, and to drive to the testing ring near my house.

I had no identity, no family. I was alone in the strange new land, a place i had only just got acquainted to. Atleast I knew where the used car dealer was. I took everything I had with me, the whole $10,000 to the shop. Something told me I would need all of it.

I looked through the shop, rows after rows of broken tatty old cars. Boring to drive, unrewarding at their quickest, and an embarrassment on the track. I looked over to the corner of the shop, standing there, covered in dust and grime, with with the near side mirror falling off was a white shape I recognised.

927751841_ebb7237b2a.jpg

I walked towards it, and the closer i got the worse it looked. It had more miles on the clock than my Grand dad's Volvo, and its interior was worse than the glove box in my girlfriend's Ford. There was a faded sticker on the windscreen, which said $14,999. I took a look at the car, and I knew I wanted it. I walked back to the dealer, and started talking money.

Luckily enough for me, the dealer wanted to get rid of it badly enough to offer me a sizeable discount. We settled on a price tag of $7889, and I drove off from the dealer leaving behind a lot of blue smoke. I drove around to the garage where I did my part times in between studying. I showed off my new chariot, and convinced the boss to look it up for free.

He gave a call later that night saying he was shocked how good the engine was, and said it was at its best potential. He had given it an oil change, and had tuned it up a bit. I insisted he chipped it up too, and happy that my car performed well enough, I gave it a good waxing.

Thus began my career as the rookie. As the guy who started from the end. The guy who raced for money, and for excitement. Thus began my life!

Last edited:
A good start. At least it has pictures! :lol:

How to bore a rotary, I don't understand.

You can increase the diameter of the cylinder, but then you'd need new pistons, as well as a change of pretty much every component. It is a fair point, I don't think the "increase bore" option is available for this car in GT4, but I'm sure I did something like that...

The first race is always a memorable one. The feeling, the exhilaration of sitting on the grid, waiting for the lights to change. Gunning the engine, and then dumping the clutch.

I sat in my car, the semi-sports seats holding me in. I wasn't wearing a helmet, I always hated them. I thought I would try out my car in one of those family races held on a race track near where I lived. I loved that race track, knew every corner in my mind's eye. I had never driven around it, but it had always been my dream to win one of the big races here.

I paid the registration fee at the counter, and got a ticket saying "Entrance Ticket -- Drive what you bring -- Trial Mountain"... excellent! I drove over to the pit garage which was mine, and parked my car. I stepped out to admire my car. I loved the way it looked, the shine of the paintwork in the sun. I heard a loud rumble behind me, the unmistakable 4 litre straight six of a TVR. I spun around, and indeed a bright orange TVR pulled up into the pit next to me, and parked. Racing against that would not be easy, nor would the next car that pulled up. A pristine Skyline R33 GTR, its driver wearing a surprisingly smug smile. I was about to find out why very soon.

IMG00008.jpg

Just before our race, another "drive what you have" race had taken place, and I managed to get a snap of a Caterham going slightly crazy, I hoped my race would be incident free...

cat7r3.jpg

The race ended, a BMW M3 winning the prize money. It was our turn, we drove out for to take our places on the grid. For reasons I don't quite know, I was to start from the bottom, even better, I thought to myself, pulling up at the 8th spot. To my right, there was a Audi S4, infront of me, was the TVR, loud, grumbly. Its enhaust note shaking my windscreen. Next to the TVR was a Mitsubishi EVO VIII. The owner, it seemed, liked spoilers, because he had the biggest spoiler I had seen in a very long time. I couldn't catch a glimpse of the cars in front, but it wouldn't matter. I wasn't likely to overtake anybody in this race.

You can increase the diameter of the cylinder, but then you'd need new pistons, as well as a change of pretty much every component. It is a fair point, I don't think the "increase bore" option is available for this car in GT4, but I'm sure I did something like that...

RX-7s don't have pistons, if I recall correctly.

RX-7s don't have pistons, if I recall correctly.

True, they have roughly triangular rotating things. I don't know what they are called, but I call them pistons anyway.

Look at my display pic thingy... thats a wankel

You know, it's one thing to write a race report, but to then provide inaccurate facts about "boring" a rotary engine, (The triangular things are called "rotors") and to then plagarise photos without any credit to the original artist is a little rude. 👎

Caterham Cup Race 3 - Trial Mountain (Results)
I supplied that picture, with my permission for Austin343 to use in the race thread. :sly:
I don't recall you asking to use it here.

You know, it's one thing to write a race report, but to then provide inaccurate facts about "boring" a rotary engine, (The triangular things are called "rotors") and to then plagarise photos without any credit to the original artist is a little rude. 👎

Caterham Cup Race 3 - Trial Mountain (Results)
I supplied that picture, with my permission for Austin343 to use in the race thread. :sly:
I don't recall you asking to use it here.

True...
I request your permission in allowing me to use this picture in this thread. I am of course willing to make modifications if you so wish.

True...
I request your permission in allowing me to use this picture in this thread. I am of course willing to make modifications if you so wish.

:indiff: I think it's just a little too late in the game to be asking Smallhorses that...

Back