The Matrix Awakens is a Free Unreal Engine 5 Tech Demo With Over 38,000 Drivable Vehicles

Terronium-12

For My Mom, Always
United States
Brooklyn, NY
KR_Viper
I Renown I
Are You Kidding Its Beautiful GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

The Matrix Awakens is a Free Unreal Engine 5 Tech Demo With Over 38,000 Drivable Vehicles

Epic Games and a Warner Bros team including Lana Wachowski, co-director of the original The Matrix trilogy and the upcoming The Matrix Resurrections movie, have revealed a startling tech demo for Unreal Engine 5 based in the universe of The Matrix...
Just tried the tech demo last night. While the demo was limited, the visual quality of the environment was surprising and as close to photo realism as I’ve seen. It will be exciting to see how interactive a full blown environment will be when implemented.

This legitimately looks like real life. Absolutely stunning.

Uh, any idea when or if we can try it out on PC?

Last edited:
Looks stunning, even on a Series S. Too bad, that the driving isn't fun. :D

But you can have a couple of hours of amazement, wondering around in it.

It's shoking a beauty, especially the combo: distance of vision and the number of elements in your screen :drool::drool::drool::drool:

The car control is... special, but when you see the graphics...

Just let me imagine the future of gaming (ooooh yeah, let me imagine)

Think it needs fast ssd so would only work with bang up to date pc’s, probably easier to release on consoles than have majority of pc users wondering why they can’t get it to run

If you mean like an MX-5, a Fusion, a Cybertruck as "unique" vehicles, no; they're mainly generosedans. But they are all discrete items that exist within the simulation world simultaneously.
As opposed to something like <30 randomly spawning & ephemeral vehicles that you would get in GTA V in any discrete location - that's the distinction, right?

GTA Online made some steps towards a persistent world (your car doesn't disappear if you walk around the block, like previous titles and even the offline V) so I hope this kind of thing is the future of open world games. But if I see NFT mentioned even once....

Last edited:
I would love to see a new Driver or Burnout Paradise based on this engine. The city ambience is amazing :drool:

The building/road textures and car reflections could use a bit of work I feel, but it's just a demo and for a world this size it's still pretty good.

I just had a quick go at this and every person I walked past I tried to punch as if it were a GTA game. I just couldn't help myself :embarrassed::dopey:
I tried to do the other GTA thing and introduce a pedestrian to the front of my car, though any attempts to commit vehicular homicide result in simply sailing straight through the AI person.

Slightly disappointing, but understandable. :lol:

Can it look this good when running at 60 FPS though? I highly doubt it.

I always picked performance over fidelity on PS5, really struggle with anything less now im spoilt with current gen.

Either way I was blown away! Found myself panning slowing across the city as a film director would do in Hollywood. It literally looks better than real life sometimes.

I always picked performance over fidelity on PS5, really struggle with anything less now im spoilt with current gen.

Either way I was blown away! Found myself panning slowing across the city as a film director would do in Hollywood. It literally looks better than real life sometimes.
Sadly no, this is 20-30fps.

Literally? 😂 of course there would have to be a good half dozen “literally” statements on this thread. 🤣

Back