The Metal ThreadMusic 

Currently listening to Metallica Live @ Bergen, Norway - August 20th, 2015... Amazing set! Recommended to any Metallica fans in this thread. Also waiting for Megadeth Peace Sells... But Who's Buying (25th Anniversary edition) to arrive in the mail too.

Screenshot_20201203-003952_Spotify.jpg

I may have listened to this song a lot just to capture this very screenshot.

I've never been a fan of Deathcore, but the new Brand of Sacrifice album does intrigue me. Their blend of Deathcore (which is a stale genre due to the limitations of the genre itself) and industrial sounds has really caught my ears of late.

[Warning for potential NSFW contents (blood, gore, etc...)]

Are they any other bands doing vaguely similar things to them?

Last edited:
These three songs have been in constant rotation on my playlist for the past few days.

I listen to these songs and I grow hopeful again that metal (or metalcore in this case) still has a bright future ahead.

Regarding this song. Its not my favourite at the moment by any means but the more I listen to it the better I feel about it. "Immortal" from Lorna Shore was a lot more my style and at first I wasn't sure about this, The mix didn't seem quite right and I would have rathered the vocal layering to be not as crazy but like a lot of heavy Songs the more you listen to it the more it seems to make sense. One hell of an introduction for Will Ramos the new Vocalist though.

This has been a song people have been talking about and reacting to a load since it was released about 2 weeks ago, Mainly because of the absolutely disgusting breakdowns.

Regarding this song. Its not my favourite at the moment by any means but the more I listen to it the better I feel about it. "Immortal" from Lorna Shore was a lot more my style and at first I wasn't sure about this, The mix didn't seem quite right and I would have rathered the vocal layering to be not as crazy but like a lot of heavy Songs the more you listen to it the more it seems to make sense. One hell of an introduction for Will Ramos the new Vocalist though.

This has been a song people have been talking about and reacting to a load since it was released about 2 weeks ago, Mainly because of the absolutely disgusting breakdowns.

The high screams/whatever you want to call them remind me of Dani Filth. Also the drummer must have bionic legs.

The high screams/whatever you want to call them remind me of Dani Filth. Also the drummer must have bionic legs.
I'm not too knowledgeable about Cradle Of Filth so I cant comment on the Dani Filth comparison. Will Ramos does sound different to CJ McCreery that was the vocalist for Immortal but somehow still fits in the band perfectly. Yes, Austin Archey is an insane drummer. The musicianship as a whole for Lorna Shore as always been top notch. The guitarists especially Adam De Micco the Lead Guitarist are very good and widely respected too.

I'm not too knowledgeable about Cradle Of Filth so I cant comment on the Dani Filth comparison. Will Ramos does sound different to CJ McCreery that was the vocalist for Immortal but somehow still fits in the band perfectly. Yes, Austin Archey is an insane drummer. The musicianship as a whole for Lorna Shore as always been top notch. The guitarists especially Adam De Micco the Lead Guitarist are very good and widely respected too.
I had only heard of Lorna Shore before watching that video. I enjoy my metal, but there a TON of bands I know of but never actually listened to. I'm kind of interested to hear more of their stuff though.

I have a couple Cradle albums. Cruelty and the Beast is top notch.

Last edited:
I had only heard of Lorna Shore before watching that video. I enjoy my metal, but there a TON of bands I know of but never actually listened to. I'm kind of interested to hear more of their stuff though.

I have a couple Cradle albums. Cruelty and the Beast is top notch.
Lorna Shore are known for their blackened and symphonic take on Deathcore. "Immortal" is their biggest track and one of my favourite songs of the last 2 years, The album was great as a whole too.

Just got tickets. Gotta see them before they die of old age :lol:

judas-priest-tickets_09-30-21_17_60ba903ba6f17.png

Seriously. I am super hyped. I finally got to see MetallicA live just a few years ago. Now Judas Priest. I just have TOOL to go and I've seen three of my top favorite bands.

Just got tickets. Gotta see them before they die of old age :lol:

View attachment 1073187

Seriously. I am super hyped. I finally got to see MetallicA live just a few years ago. Now Judas Priest. I just have TOOL to go and I've seen three of my top favorite bands.
I saw Tool all the way back in 2006 after 10,000 Days had come out. Good show.

I really want to see the Megadeth/Lamb of God/Trivium/Hatebreed (Hatebreed replaced In Flames when the tour dates were rescheduled (damn!)) show when they come through Indy or Cincy. All I need is one of my brothers or friends to come with. As much as I'd enjoy it, I don't want to go alone.

A mini rant, if you will:

Been listening to Metallica's new album, trying to digest the whole thing. Then, Youtube's algorithm saw fit to recommend me a new Overkill track called "Scorched" as well as a few Extreme singles.

Now, to make myself clear, I don't like Overkill. From their derivative me-too Metallica ripoff riffs to rent-a-Bon-Scott lead vocalist, Overkill grates on me. However, "Scorched" sounded at least more... interesting than Metallica's newest offering in seven years. Seven. What the heck? We wait seven years and 72 Seasons is what we get?

And I also think Extreme's much vaunted return is already dead on arrival. I keep wincing at the vocalist struggling to pull off some of the notes, and those are from studio recordings! How much worse would it be during live performances?

I dunno, maybe my tastes in heavy music must've shifted so much that these legacy artists don't interest me sonically anymore.

OK, rant over.

A mini rant, if you will:

Been listening to Metallica's new album, trying to digest the whole thing. Then, Youtube's algorithm saw fit to recommend me a new Overkill track called "Scorched" as well as a few Extreme singles.

Now, to make myself clear, I don't like Overkill. From their derivative me-too Metallica ripoff riffs to rent-a-Bon-Scott lead vocalist, Overkill grates on me. However, "Scorched" sounded at least more... interesting than Metallica's newest offering in seven years. Seven. What the heck? We wait seven years and 72 Seasons is what we get?

And I also think Extreme's much vaunted return is already dead on arrival. I keep wincing at the vocalist struggling to pull off some of the notes, and those are from studio recordings! How much worse would it be during live performances?

I dunno, maybe my tastes in heavy music must've shifted so much that these legacy artists don't interest me sonically anymore.

OK, rant over.
I've never ventured much into thrash other than some Metallica, Megadeth, and Testament. So Overkill was never on my radar. But I heard "The Surgeon" a few times on the radio and have enjoyed it, even with the higher pitched vocals that I don't normally care for.

As for Metallica, I love everything from Ride the Lighting through the Black album (I think that's a common opinion with many people). And like many others, I felt Load or Reload were so-so when they came out, but they've grown on me. They slowed everything down and cut out some riffs, but they're still pretty heavy albums for the most part. From what I've heard from 72 Seasons, I don't know if I'll ever get into it. James just sounds old, which makes sense because he is. I can't really fault him for that. Nothing really stands out to me. The last two sentences are exactly how I feel about Ozzy and his latest album, too.

The new Metallica album sounds like what would happen if your CD player in your car stopped ejecting and the only thing you could listen to was the mp3 of Fuel that you burned on that CD. So, that's the only thing you're allowed to listen to for a decade and then you've gotta drive to the studio to make a new record. The genius parts of Metallica I think were thanks to Cliff and Jason. Then James kinda took the reigns and had their cool late 90s thing. But their "retired rich dudes who used to play guitar in their teens" vibe is kinda lame now. Very Lars.

I like Overkill as a "sound," like, you obviously know it's Overkill, right? But what I don't like is that all of their albums are basically the same. Vocals are all the same patterns and inflections. Good to throw into a playlist every so often but kinda grating to listen to all in a row.

Last edited:
I'm listening to the new Metallica album. Maybe I my views got skewed, but there's nothing noteworthy. Every song was pretty similar and I didn't hear much that was better than Hardwired to Self Destruct. The first noteworthy tune was Inamorata and it turns out it was the last on the album.

Though it usually takes me more than one listen of an album to fully settle in and the reception per Wikipedia seems about on par with Hardwired.

Unrelated to any new stuff, but love how my initial foray into metal went from:

Straight to:

Nothing in between.

Behemoth-related, O Father O Satan O Sun is my current all-time favorite album closer regardlesa of genre

Nearly posted this in the Earworm thread as it's been running around my head for the last few days, but it felt like a better fit here: Soft Play - Punk's Dead. For context, Soft Play were known as Slaves until very recently, and this song was inspired by some of the more angry reponses to the name change on social media. It also happens to have an earworm riff, a Robbie Williams cameo, and an NSFW amount of swearing. Song starts at 0:46:

Last edited:
View attachment 975944

I may have listened to this song a lot just to capture this very screenshot.
I had the Bring Back the Plague video on permanent rotation as part of my lockdown workout program, listening to it while on the home excercise bike.

I've still got what may well be my last ever paper gig ticket, for their "The Europandemic tour", they were due to play London April 2020. I keep intending to get it framed one day. At least they had the best tour cancellation reason ever.
Cattle Decapitation Postpones “The Europandemic Tour” Due to ACTUAL ****ING GLOBAL PANDEMIC

Clayman is where it's at. I've been hearing their new stuff on Liquid Metal whenever I'm driving, including this one today. It just isn't the same. I do enjoy the double bass drumming, though. I would love to them to play some of their old stuff like what you posted. Unfortunately, it's rare that they do.

I finally got around to listening to Foregone and for a 2000+ album it has to be one of the top albums from them.

Scrolled through some of the youtube comments and some were saying that the State of Slow Decay sounds like Blinded by Fear by At The Gates. Oddly enough it sounds a bit too similar.

Curious if you checked out the The Halo Effect album? The band was formed by former In Flames members including Jesper (IF guitarist through 2010).

I finally got around to listening to Foregone and for a 2000+ album it has to be one of the top albums from them.

Scrolled through some of the youtube comments and some were saying that the State of Slow Decay sounds like Blinded by Fear by At The Gates. Oddly enough it sounds a bit too similar.

Curious if you checked out the The Halo Effect album? The band was formed by former In Flames members including Jesper (IF guitarist through 2010).
Still haven't actually listened to their newest. :lol: From what I've read from a lot of fans, it was kind of a return to their old sound which many including myself enjoy.

Surprisingly, though I like the genre and know At the Gates was one of the founding bands of melodeath, I've never heard their stuff. I put on Blinded by Fear and can definitely hear a resemblance.

I'll have to check out The Halo Effect. I didn't know about them.

Now for something different. I mentioned a few posts above (albeit from two and a half years ago) the Cruelty and the Beast album by Cradle of Filth. As luck would have it, I brought up a couple of their songs on Youtube from that CD for the first time in probably a couple of years just two nights ago. The last third of this song gives me chills every time I listen to it.

And last weekend, I listened to the back half of A7X's City of Evil album since it had been so long. I forgot how good it is. Another song with a fantastic finish to it with Syn's flamenco dueling with his dad.

Back