The Most Confusing Motor Racing Event of All Time

• Thread starter Zolon32
  • 267 comments
Again, not to be confused with the Maxi Rally Car :D

MAGIC-MAXI-RUNS-AGAIN.jpg

That's not the Maxi, @Zolon32 . It's the previous version, the one that won the Monte Carlo in 1981.
Good freakin god. I might have to change the name again, to most confusingly (dis)organised racing event ever!

I am still to try this one and the Audi to decide what to use. Can you tell us how many laps will we have in monday's races?
The Lambo will be 14 laps Mario, and we'll have 13 in the group B motors. The Lambo race will be under 25 minutes, but 14 laps should be plenty, and I'd rather finish slightly early rather than risk running late. That race will be set for an 8:00am start to quali, and an 8:30am start to the race, with some cloud cover throughout. If we race in the heat of mid day with that car it cooks its tyres rather badly.

here's the Austin Maxi (non)Turbo.
Oh for the days when the UK produced innovative products, that only broke down once a week.

Thanks for the infos @Zolon32 👍

Tried both cars using the events specs and my conclusion is the Renault, although being a joy to hustle around the track ...

... has no chance unless some tweaks are made. In quali the track doesn't dry enough to allow a fight for the front of the grid and during the race the Renault will probably steal fastest lap at the last possible moment but its speed will not be enough to recover all the ground lost in the first half of the race.

To further my point, in my test I did two 13 laps races, one with each car (against AI).

The first, with the Renault, I started at the back of the grid and I won by overtaking the entire AI field in the last two laps. Race lasted 25 minutes and 26 seconds.

The second I started with the Audi (easy pole position). Lights to flag and boring race but I took 24 minutes and 20 secs to finish it.

Bottom line, if I'm racing the Renault against myself in the Audi, I may overtake the AI field but when I get to second place I will be about one full minute behind myself in the Audi.

Last edited:
has no chance unless some tweaks are made.

Yeah, I know what you mean Mario. I'm keen to try to prevent the Renault from having an advantage, since I'm going to use it, but I'll have a look at some alterations to the weather, to bring it up to speed a little earlier in the race. I really don't want it right at the front of the grid, because the Audi will be so much quicker at the start if the race it would lead to issues, I think.

but I'll have a look at some alterations to the weather
Can Mr Weatherman suggest...

3 weather slots.
Snow, Heavy Cloud, Snow.
Weather progression set to X5

It should provide a nice realistic transition with the track getting wetter* and then dying out progressively. Then sometime towards the end of the race it'll probably begin to snow again - which might slow down any charging Renaults.
(The timing is slightly random)

*Safer than being very wet at the start.

Last edited:
Thanks Paul, but I think the Renault would still struggle, especially when it gets wet again.

@half_sourly @richroo @IfAndOr @Hun200kmh @tal @Madbigdog @Don Mejillone @Oldbass47 @Napalm_LT @slthree

So, sorry for the late change of plans (which fit nicely with the most terribly organised racing event of all time), but I've settled upon...

Snow, Medium cloud, light cloud, clear.

This gives me very similar times for the race distance in the two cars.

Again, sorry chaps. :embarrassed:

Guys, only the first race for me again.
Tried Lambo at weekend and am a bit cofused, it feels strange - wheel is very light and I don't understand what is going with front tyres. Do you feel the same?

Guys, only the first race for me again.
Tried Lambo at weekend and am a bit cofused, it feels strange - wheel is very light and I don't understand what is going with front tyres. Do you feel the same?
Yes same here. I tried it yesterday for the first time and it is... odd. The wheel feels normal (some resistance) as you hold it straight then as you turn it goes completely light.

Brakes are odd as well, especially approaching the long left sweeping turn 6.

Same for all of us I guess but I would not rush to buy one.

1670246742859.png

Yes same here. I tried it yesterday for the first time and it is... odd. The wheel feels normal (some resistance) as you hold it straight then as you turn it goes completely light.

Brakes are odd as well, especially approaching the long left sweeping turn 6.

Same for all of us I guess but I would not rush to buy one.

View attachment 1213538
I think this is a wrong layout in ypur picture, we should have corners 9a and 11a.

Same here (wheel lightness at times), my guess is the game tries to depict a car about to lose front grip.

Yesterday I tried an offline race with this car and broadcasted it. AI set at 79% skill (so they don't setup their cars) and 100% aggression (surprisingly this is the way to get their best behaviour. They are quicker than the 79% skill would indicate, but they race well, aren't jittery, and don't do crazy dive bombing. Go figure ...)

I was humbled :crazy: ... see some highlights if you want to check just how much ... :P

PS - in case you are wondering, in offline mode I race with full damage on. Keeps me honest in dealing with my AI opponents.

PPS - the car became more and more understeery towards the end of the race, I was really struggling in the last few laps. I guess a combination of front damage and worn front tyres.

Last edited:
I think this is a wrong layout in your picture,
It's a good job you mentioned that, because I've been practicing the GP layout! :dunce:
I must get a few laps in on the correct layout.

For someone who organises events you'd think I would read the instructions properly. 😄

The race itself will last approximately twenty-five minutes.

Starts will be standing, with the exception of the Group B race at Laguna, where the 2WD Maxi would be left on the line.

The first race (15 laps) features the Lambo from the group GTO, and in the second race (13 laps)

The Lambo will be 14 laps Mario, and we'll have 13 in the group B motors.

I think I need to bang an additional lap on each race
Don't know what the confusion is about. It is clearly twelve-teen lap-minutes with standing rolls at Laguna Noma.

Sorry @Zolon32 , couldn't resist. See you at 8 :cheers:

I still love this bit of today's event the most
To achieve this I've been starting the race at 8 but then waiting 30 minutes on the line before pulling away. Trying to get the AI to do the same has proved problematic.

Last edited:
@half_sourly @richroo @IfAndOr @Hun200kmh @tal @Madbigdog @Don Mejillone @Oldbass47 @Napalm_LT @slthree

Fellas, I've taken a spin around the old Spa in both VF1 cars, and I've found the older one to be soooo much quicker that it would make the handicap impossible.

Mario, I think it would be a brilliant track for an endurance race with fast, low downforce cars, but it's not a good fit here, sorry.

Set up an endurance and I'm in if at all possible (full realism :D)

So, just to confirm, I've actually made a decision, and we're back to the modern Spa track.

Thanks Zolon. Cars still as follows?

Race 1
Top 3 in the 1970 Lotus 49C
Rest in that or the 1972 Lotus 72D

Race 2
Top 3 in the Group 6 Alpine
Rest in any Group 6 car

Thanks Zolon. Cars still as follows?

Race 1
Top 3 in the 1970 Lotus 49C
Rest in that or the 1972 Lotus 72D

Race 2
Top 3 in the Group 6 Alpine
Rest in any Group 6 car
Correct Half, that is, so long as I'm fight in thinking that there are only two group 6 cars.

GP or national?
One time, one bloody time I get the track wrong and I never hear the end of it :)

I wasn't aware that there was an option to be honest, but it's the GP circuit I have in mind.

Ok a very quick recap to keep with the tradition :P

Race 1 - Survival of the Slowest - I won! But that's because: a) @Madbigdog disconnected in front of me; b) then @Napalm_LT spun in front of me; c) then @richroo overtook us both and 3 seconds later he spun ... in front of me. I don't think I had any kind of secret weapon glued to the front bumper (laser beam, or something ...) but if I had ... well I used it :lol:

Race 2 - A Bridge Too Far - Best of the maxi-rest was my fate. Well, that is if you don't count Duarte's exploits with that same car, keeping close to the Audis until ... another disconnect. Was pretty happy with that 3rd place, pity I got a litle distracted in the first lap and an off-track aventure put me dead last and quite a distance from everyone else. It was a good recovery though, not enough for the mighty duo in the Audis (@half_sourly and raeggee), doing a great battle to the end. I needed maybe 5 more laps to get in contention but even though I tried to get a race extension with a couple of in-race PMs to @Zolon32 he decided to be a spoilsport and didn't give them :banghead:

Moving on to next week's races

Thanks for clearing it all up Zolon. I needed it because again I am traveling tomorrow and will only return home next Sunday. So today was my first and last chance to check the cars/track.

Found the Lotus very surprisingly nice to drive, very forgiving and well balanced. Going from that to the Porsche 936 was a very difficult transition. The Porsche is NOT a forgiving car, when that Turbo kicks in it's anyone's guess where the front of the car will be pointing to one nanosecond later.

In any case, I want to share with you the most amazing experience I had with battling an AI with these cars. I think I found a correct setting for them, at least concerning my own skill, because that setting is 79% skill (so they don't setup their cars) and 100% aggression. The result is fantastic. I don't want to bore you all but take a look at this replay video I captured from just 3 laps (in a 20 minutes race that was 90% spent locked a battle that I couldn't shake no matter how hard I tried)

In the first lap you will see a full Les Combes (chicane at the top of the straight) side-by-side. In the second lap you will see me lose the lead at that same spot. In the third lap you will see a full-on-enraged battle. But always amazingly realistic, just Fast forward whatever you don't want to see and mind the overtakings or attempts at it. Hard to tell that was an AI I was racing with.

That's all from me, see you next monday!

Last edited:
I've sent Felipe Becker a friend request but he hasn't replied to it yet.

I think I found a correct setting for them
You can get some really good races out of the AI in PC2 & 3 when you get the settings just right. It's like you find a magic figure. Unfortunately those settings often don't transfer over to different car and track combinations, they require further tweaking. Which is a shame. Set and forget would have been nice.
(An improvement in PC3 is that you can adjust the AI settings without returning to the main screen, so it's just a quick race restart)

I didn't have the best of races at Sonoma, there were some external factors going on which didn't help - I had to park up. Also Sonoma is a bit of a bogey track for me, I've never quite mastered it. If we could race at Brno every week that'd be good. :)

Last edited:
Back