The most difficult corner in F1 2010

• Thread starter Sureboss
  • 103 comments

Sureboss

Tanned and Lipstick'd
Premium
United Kingdom
UK
Thought we could have a fun little thread. Idea being people nominate the most difficult corner in the game, then we vote on it, as well as discuss.

So, an early suggestion from myself.

Turn 1 - Interlagos

I struggle to consistently get a good line through here. The corner is blind and I think the game makes you appreciate how difficult the corner actually is. So easy to lock up and go cut some grass.

I think the chicane at the end of the long straight in Abu Dhabi is the toughest to nail consistently, especially in the wet.

Getting the right line in turn 1 on China, Shanghai is also a challenge. Its such a looooooong corner ...

All of the above. Especially Abu Dhabi's off camber chichane, you have to be easy on the thorttle. And Shangai's veeeery long turn 1 is hard to get right. I see em nail at it, go wide, then come back in to nail it again, such a challenge to get it right.

The right hander before the tunnel at Monaco can be a pain (its called Portier), and its not even fast! Its that the small sliver of curb at the apex is coded to be extremely destabalizing. And its obvious its a code thing, because the corner is so slow, and yet to touch that curb means killing your lap. Weird.

The right hander before the tunnel at Monaco can be a pain (its called Portier), and its not even fast! Its that the small sliver of curb at the apex is coded to be extremely destabalizing. And its obvious its a code thing, because the corner is so slow, and yet to touch that curb means killing your lap. Weird.

Rascasse is horrible too. Especially if you are aggressive like me, I'm awful at Monaco. Also the start of Mirabeau (the right-hander, not the left hairpin after that which is also Mirabeau, isn't it?). All in all, I'm not patient enough on the throttle for it.

Portier is understeer hell.

Mirabeau is the right hander. The really tight left hand hairpin is Loews, or the Station hairpin

Thank you Captain Knowledge.

Mirabeau then, the rear always goes here, I found it did it on F1CE too.

My vote for this is the first corner at Istambul. I cannot get it right, whatever I do it just understeers and the ai never seem to have any of these problems.

And second I would put the second to last corner at Malaysia, Its a long, off camber, blind right hander that you have to brake half way through, I find it near on impossible to hit the apex and to be carrying good speed through it, this corner isn't as bad as the other though because the ai also seem to have trouble round this corner.

Yes, the new Brooklands corner is quite hard. The last corner at Valencia is up there as well. You have to be right on the button, but it's very satisfying when you nail it.

It looks flat out on entry, but it tightens, the apex is a good 10 metres later than you ever think it is.

I think the 4th corner in Bahrain at the end of the short straight. There is a little bump in there that is ridiculous, you cannot hit the apex lest you spin out, I always take it wide and watch others pirouette.

There's just too many for me to decide but a few standouts are:

Hockenheim - Mobil 1 kurve (turn 8) - take a little bit too much speed in and it'll spit you out on the exit. Dangerous corner, deserves respect.

Suzuka - Spoon (turn 13) - if you run slightly off the racing line you'll lose all momentum and lose all the speed down the following straight. Have to be very patient before getting on the power.

Interlagos - Senna S (turns 1-2) - always a trade off between corner entry speed and exit speed, extremely difficult to get consistently right.

Tabac on Monaco, I really struggle with that. The entry to the new section of Bahrain is horrific imo, and turn 5 and 6 at Sepang, very very tricky.

@Shaggy Alonso, I actually love turn 8, but I do know what you mean, you have to nail it every single time but it is very very fun, 4th, nearly flat, mm.

I agree, Turn 8 at Hockenheim is great fun, but it will bite you on the arse the moment you think "it's a given".

Thought we could have a fun little thread. Idea being people nominate the most difficult corner in the game, then we vote on it, as well as discuss.

So, an early suggestion from myself.

Turn 1 - Interlagos

I struggle to consistently get a good line through here. The corner is blind and I think the game makes you appreciate how difficult the corner actually is. So easy to lock up and go cut some grass.

I go wide duck in and nail the throttle, seems to work and is good fun.

Korea off camber is very annoying there a few more but I can't name them.

Almost every corner with dodgy kerbs... especially turn 3, turn 8, turn 9 and turn 16 at Singapore.

470px-Singapore_street_circuit_v2.svg.png

You can get into a great rhythm at Monaco if your in the zone but as soon as you come out of it Portier, Rascasse and Anthony Noghes just seem to spin you around before you can react.

250px-Monte_Carlo_Formula_1_track_map.svg.png

Notable exceptions are are the Senna S, the nasty chicane inbetween the straights at Abu Dhabi, turn 4 at Malaysia, turn 14 at Malaysia, turn 1 at China and the penultimate corner at Hungary I swear it's covered in ice....

Also almost all of Korea beause it has no flow, hard braking zones and massive dodgy kerbs, what an awful track!

Definitely 1st corner Shanghai for me, then probably getting the braking zone for the long straight in Shanghai too. I guess i just struggle on that track

The only corner that I balls up every time would be the last chicane of Montreal (wall of champions) ... without fail if I try to ride the added bump I kick the back out or hit the wall... /sigh

I hate what they did to Hungary the most in this game, in F1:CE it was one of my favourites but they really screwed it up for this. Several corners that were fun but difficult have now just been made difficult without the fun part. Specifically the last two corners and especially turn 6, which used to be flat if you were daring in CE.

I actually enjoy Singapore despite its strange rhythm and Valencia is a blast to drive. I'd probably say that turn 15 at Hungary is my hardest corner in the game because it has no grip whatsoever. You carry slightly too much speed, you run wide, you carry slightly too little speed, you spin. Its almost impossible for me to be consistent at this corner, whereas all the afforementioned corners I enjoy the challenge of and are quite easy if you work out and practice your approach and lines.

For example, turn 1/2 at Turkey and Brazil are easy if you practice, they may seem bizarre and difficult at first because they are effectively blind, but if you practice them enough and make notes of gears/speed/braking points you should be able to build some confidence and its easy then.
Corners like Tabac require more concentration, you have to make sure you don't go wild on the throttle or you can spin or tap the wall very easily. Even with practice corners like this are difficult but time and experience makes it a bit easier to deal with.

Corners I absolutely love are turn 5 at Abu Dhabi, turn 4 at Korea, Casio at Suzuka, Nouvelle chicane at Monaco, turn 3 at Bahrain, etc. Proper ballsy braking corners where you can brake really late and get the drop on people. I just love out-braking people so massively like that. Braking at 100 metres at turn 5 Abu Dhabi is an awesome thrill because you almost don't make it.

Back