The New $35,000 Tesla Model 3 Vs. Its Key Rivals, By The Numbers

I think I'd go for the top of the range Leaf. Where I live it's got enough range to get me pretty much anywhere I'd want to go, and that's all that matters to me if I have to get a car like these.

Umm....Kona and Niro?

The Kona has been value king of the EVs
for a while now

While the Kona Electric might be a good value, it has most certainly not been a "value king" for a while. It's not even for sale yet in most of the US. The Niro is the same way I believe.

The Model 3 Performance competes with the M3 Competition, Giulia Quadrifoglio, AMG C 63 S, RS5 Sportback and ATS-V Sedan....
And, even if that were the case, that's not the car we're talking about. We're talking about the newly introduced and long-promised, entry level, base $35k Model 3.

Model 3 any day. Once you consider the huge Tesla supercharging infrastructure, regular over-the-air software updates (eg. Model 3 owners all just received a free performance upgrade) - UI and features are also added to the car frequently, and hardware advantages - with the potential for full self driving, aaaaand the car has lowest probability of injury of any car ever tested on the NHTSA. The Bolt and the Leaf can't be compared.

Edit: Plus it's either RWD or AWD, has a glass roof as standard, great design details (flush door handles, pillarless doors), and it just looks damn sexy.

(I'll stick with my old Celica though)

Last edited:
Plus it's either RWD or AWD, has a glass roof as standard, great design details (flush door handles, pillars doors), and it just looks damn sexy.

Not the cheap one though, to get an AWD you need to move up in the range to the dual motor which starts at $47,000.

Not the cheap one though, to get an AWD you need to move up in the range to the dual motor which starts at $47,000.
That's correct, but RWD as standard is great compared to the FWD competitors.

While the Kona Electric might be a good value, it has most certainly not been a "value king" for a while. It's not even for sale yet in most of the US. The Niro is the same way I believe.
But why not include them in the article? The Kona ev has been beating up the Bolt in comparison tests recently, I'd think it would be a no-brainer for inclusion in an article that looks at comparing a car that is just coming out with its key competitors.

But why not include them in the article? The Kona ev has been beating up the Bolt in comparison tests recently, I'd think it would be a no-brainer for inclusion in an article that looks at comparing a car that is just coming out with its key competitors.

I didn't include either of them because they aren't exactly for sale yet. It's hard to be a competitor when most people can't go and buy the car. The $35k Tesla Model 3, Chevy Bolt, and Nissan Leaf are all vehicles you can buy right now if you want to no matter where you're at in the US (even if buying a Tesla is a bit of a pain in some places).

If I wrote this article in say July of this year, then chances are the Niro and Kona Electric would be options assuming they move out of the ZEV states.

Goodness gracious the electric car market is a sad sight at this price point. Theyre just all gross. The tesla looks like a bad flash art drawint from early 2000s microsoft powerpoint, the leaf looks alright but it underperforms on the spreadsheets (which for some reason makes everyone froth at the mouth), and the bolt is made by chevrolet.

In my opinion the most sensible option is realistically the leaf. I really cant see anyone really, truly needing to drive nore than 160 miles in a day. It just seems insane that people argue over that. "My car will go eight times further than I need it to" "well myyyy car will go NINE times farther than I need to".

I'm sure people who need a car that to go 220 miles a day is perfectly capable of making a decision on which electric car to buy without the entire internet bickering on about it.

Wow that was an opinionated rant. Can you tell I have a tesla fanboy freind? :lol:

I didn't include either of them because they aren't exactly for sale yet. It's hard to be a competitor when most people can't go and buy the car. The $35k Tesla Model 3, Chevy Bolt, and Nissan Leaf are all vehicles you can buy right now if you want to no matter where you're at in the US (even if buying a Tesla is a bit of a pain in some places).

If I wrote this article in say July of this year, then chances are the Niro and Kona Electric would be options assuming they move out of the ZEV states.
The electric Hyundai Kona's aren't out yet in the States? There's like 3 of them at my local dealer (and 4 of the pure electric Ioniqs) and I'm from Alberta lol.

The electric Hyundai Kona's aren't out yet in the States? There's like 3 of them at my local dealer (and 4 of the pure electric Ioniqs) and I'm from Alberta lol.

As far as I know, they are only for sale in a few states like New York and California and in low numbers. Most of the country doesn't have the option to get one, at least not yet anyway. It's supposed to launch before summer, but I haven't seen a concrete date.

If the Bolt is "Dorky", then the Model 3 is an absolute reject. Parking them next to each other would highlight how normal(ish) the Bolt looks when compared to the current crop of compact and subcompact hatches and crossovers (I mean, have you seen the Ecosport?). The Model 3 looks like a growth-stunted Model S that's been beaten in the face with an ugly stick.

In my opinion the most sensible option is realistically the leaf.

Unless you want to have fun. In which case, go for that 0-60. The Model 3 looks like the only real option in that lineup given that it's the only car that will really perform. I've yet to see someone take the bolt to a track, but I'm guessing it's not a wonderful handling experience.

Last edited:
Unless you want to have fun. In which case, go for that 0-60. The Model 3 looks like the only real option in that lineup given that it's the only car that will really perform. I've yet to see someone take the bolt to a track, but I'm guessing it's not a wonderful handling experience.

The Bolt isn't horrible in the handling department. My buddy that works at GM has one and he says it's fun enough for a spirited drive down a curvy road. Granted he drives a BMW 335xi when he's not going back and forth to work so it's not like he takes the Bolt out often, but he has given it a shakedown a few times.

The biggest let down of the Bolt (as with nearly every EV) is the size of the tires. They are narrow and typically those gripless eco-spec ones.

Personally, I can only afford one vehicle at a time and would prefer a vehicle of higher quality build... And a nicer interior.

Personally, I can only afford one vehicle at a time and would prefer a vehicle of higher quality build... And a nicer interior.

Which is... the... Chevy? No. Nissan? Yea Nissan does a nice job with their cars. That's fine with me! Not everyone wants a sporty car.

Electric cars still don't work for me, but they are getting a lot closer. My living situation doesn't allow me to charge a car at home, and charging in public (even at Supercharger speeds) seems like a pretty big annoyance. I'm still waiting for somebody to make a good looking electric car, because I don't feel that's happened yet. I do like the Honda that appears to be production bound, and the Peugeot E Legend. Hopefully both make it to our shores....

Which is... the... Chevy? No. Nissan? Yea Nissan does a nice job with their cars. That's fine with me! Not everyone wants a sporty car.
The Model X is well over a hundred grand and yet the lining comes off.

My mother's 2003 Dodge Neon/SX2.0 RT hasn't had that happen 15/16 years later now in the hands of my custom who doesn't really take care of it at all. It's basically still new other than the rust around the rear fender that was badly repaired after an accident.

Then there's reports of the screens (which have you know, the speedometer for example on it) won't turn on in the Model 3.

There's the limited options for repair shops, the fried motors, etc.

My issue with Tesla is that I expect at $100k car to be at least comparable in quality to a $13k Fiat.

At the age of 29 I'm kinda done with sports cars other than looks. My Sonata Hybrid gets just under 200 HP combined and it's never felt underpowered.

Those numbers the Tesla produce are nice but unless you go to the drag strip regularly (since apparently they can't complete a lap on a track with going into limp mode) they're useless unless you being a asshole essentially.

But that's just my opinion.

The Model X is well over a hundred grand and yet the lining comes off.

My mother's 2003 Dodge Neon/SX2.0 RT hasn't had that happen 15/16 years later now in the hands of my custom who doesn't really take care of it at all. It's basically still new other than the rust around the rear fender that was badly repaired after an accident.

Then there's reports of the screens (which have you know, the speedometer for example on it) won't turn on in the Model 3.

There's the limited options for repair shops, the fried motors, etc.

My issue with Tesla is that I expect at $100k car to be at least comparable in quality to a $13k Fiat.

At the age of 29 I'm kinda done with sports cars other than looks. My Sonata Hybrid gets just under 200 HP combined and it's never felt underpowered.

Those numbers the Tesla produce are nice but unless you go to the drag strip regularly (since apparently they can't complete a lap on a track with going into limp mode) they're useless unless you being a asshole essentially.

But that's just my opinion.

I agree. I know that the speed is mostly a byproduct of having a lot of stored energy, but I really wish Tesla would focus on quality over performance.

This is certainly true, but personally I cant see many people looking for a fun car buying a cheap model 3. Or for that matter anyone who is enthusiastic about cars at all.

This is certainly true, but personally I cant see many people looking for a fun car buying a cheap model 3. Or for that matter anyone who is enthusiastic about cars at all.

Why? Because it handles well or because it's under 6 seconds to 60mph?

The new Kia e-Niro and the Hyundai Kona electric are already available over here.

Back