The new AI - your thoughts

• Thread starter tomcat66
  • 282 comments
I guess I'll just leave this here because why not. Haven't played in forever, got a bit of the urge because of recent updates and GT Academy and whatever, so I've played two sessions lately. First one was some time-trialing in a seasonal event.

Second one was this: I set up a race on infinite laps on the Nordschleife in an '88 Countach, all stock and on CMs. Fastest AI car was an '03 350Z. I'm not looking for an actual race, I know that's impossible. I just sometimes enjoy sharing the track with other cars in using the least idiotic behavior I can get from them. Race started, I parked and did some stuff around the house for 7-8 minutes before beginning my "track day." I was terrible of course but steadily improving over the course of 45 minutes or so and worked my way past most of the other cars.

I was gradually gaining on the leader(at the time I didn't know if it was the 350Z or not, but it was) and had cut the lead from just about 4 minutes to just about 2, all the while noticing that as I got closer and faster and spending less time off-track, I seemed to be gaining a bit more slowly. Then as I neared an hour, I was in third and spent a lap or so running down 2nd place(fairly easily), goofed up near the end of a lap and spent another third of a lap catching back up to him, and as I passed him and finished the next lap I noticed that on my best lap by a few seconds he had now pulled way out on me from where I had been. After I quit and watched the replay to confirm that it was the 350Z, I saw that despite not having had anyone near him for most of the race he had somehow seen fit to suddenly improve his lap time by TWENTY-FIVE SECONDS as I approached second place.

Sure, I wasn't very good and should probably be ashamed that a bot 350Z on SH(I think) was 8 seconds faster than my Countach on CM, but I wasn't expecting fantastic lap times and was just getting back in the groove and driving for fun so I don't really care. I just think that that level of rubber-banding or whatever it is that they do is plain inexplicable. I've seen similar behavior before in long races(both with and without a set distance), not to mention watching cars within the field repeatedly adjusting their pace to my proximity. At least they don't do too much of the crazy parking in Arcade races.

I was just doing the most recent "Expert" Seasonal, and noticed that everytime, the person in 11th place on the first lap crashed right into the wall at the hairpin on Cotê de Azur.

If your at the current expert seasonal pay attention to the behavior of "Riviere" in a Lambo. He is the most aggressive I have seen, hands down. Pit manuvers, magic boost speed, side swiping, ramming....I passed him for the lead at the beginning of lap 4 and he kept at me for the rest of the race. When he finally succeeded in screwing me up, he took off like there was a rocket up his rear end.

yeah cote de azur is a pain when it comes to the ai... Honda NSX LM Road Car starts 11th place, real easy to catch up to.. accidentaly tap his rear-right panel after the long straight (that ends in a chicane.. sorry I have a mind blank with the name), he then acts like he drives a freaking x2014 and by the end of the next lap, he was 1st place, even beating a Mercielago SV >_> I couldn't catch him for the rest of the race, it's not very fair x3
And very aggressive, they're almost on rails, they don't seem to notice you're there..

Those Zonda C12's are very quick. I was doing 1:42's with the C7 and still didn't gain ANY time on the lead. Without him up front, I was able to beat a Lamborghini Murcielago SV doing 1:45's in a new Viper GTS.

Hopefully the AI programming for the Cote seasonal will not continue in subsequent "expert" events. The AI magic boost makes the event utterly ridiculous.

I'm guessing they wanted a more aggressive AI behavior but it's a fail.

at least they tried
what it needs is difficulty levels
my dad has trouble with the AI (normal type) because he hasn't driven in a while, and so for him they offer a nice challenge, while for me they offer a nice amount of money. I had a lot of trouble with the new AI and I know my dad would have wondered how the 🤬 he was supposed to win.

we do have 1200 cars after all, it shouldn't be that hard to balance a grid
but then grids would be:

Mazda Eunos Roadster '98
Mazda MX-5 '98
Mazda Roadster NB-A '04
and so on.

I'm glad PD are toughening up the AI. No, it's not perfect, but at least it's now hard to beat. For me it is, anyway. I have to do a fair bit of fiddling around with tuning and practice a lot to get to the front. The "magic boost" on hitting the AI is unrealistic, but I try to see it as just another problem to be dealt with. The way the AI is now is a lot better than when it was just too easy to beat. Which is progress, in my opinion.

For me, the more familiar the track and car I'm using, the easier the AI seems to be. My 'difficulty slider' is selecting a tire compound and/or using a PP car with less than the maximum allowable. I get good, challenging, clean races with no rabbits every time. If I wanted to ensure an easy victory then I take the easy road and enter a 2J or GSX with the grippiest possible tires.

For me, the more familiar the track and car I'm using, the easier the AI seems to be. My 'difficulty slider' is selecting a tire compound and/or using a PP car with less than the maximum allowable. I get good, challenging, clean races with no rabbits every time. If I wanted to ensure an easy victory then I take the easy road and enter a 2J or GSX with the grippiest possible tires.

Sorry to ask: What kind of races are you talking about? Career? Seasonal? Arcade?

Sorry to ask: What kind of races are you talking about? Career? Seasonal? Arcade?

No worries, Career and Seasonal races. Though I've only run a handful, the AI in Arcade races were basically the same. Also, I find that the more aggressively you interact with the AI, the more they'll fight back and the greater chance you'll wind up chasing "The Rabbit".

Back